Odyssey House Inc Employee Reviews

community based impactful work environment
Entitlement Specialist/Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 13, 2019
Odyssey house affords the opportunity to combine human services with skilled workmanship. The management and team maintain a determined effective and efficient work environment
good incentives, picnics etc
Lead Maintenance III (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 22, 2019
the company has a culture of giving more work to employees who were not hired to do certain tasks. They rely heavily on people who they know are good workers and bypass those who are lacking and not train they to step up to the plate. They do not hire and pay for quality workers especially on an operations level
productive
Staff on Duty/House Manager (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYJanuary 16, 2019
This is a great place to work. There is workplace diversity and opportunity for advancement. You will learn so much about the substance abuse treatment field.
The job is on Wards Island, you have to pay a toll if you drive. The buses stop running at a certain time every night.
Overnight Staff on Duty (Former Employee) –  Wards Island, NYSeptember 11, 2018
The overnight shift doesn't allow staff to attend staff meetings and functions because while the activities are taking place, the overnight staff is at home asleep. Staff meetings are never scheduled to meet the needs of overnight staff.

For people entering the Human Services field, it's a great company for learning.
Pros
The company offers multiple trainings
Cons
The job can keep you away from your family often.
Senior Clinical Counselor CASAC (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 24, 2018
Things are pretty exciting on a average day because it's a residential program so you engage with the same clients for a extended amount of time. Staff and management is great.
Pros
Great environment.
Cons
limited schedules
Okay to start out
Therapist/Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Flint, MIMarch 26, 2018
Good place to work to learn skills and move on. Not a place to stay as a career. Management was lack luster. No advancement or pay raises. Co workers do not support one another
"Odyssey House"
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 1, 2017
Odyssey House was my first real job and while there I learned a lot especially when dealing with addiction and family issues. I took that knowledge with me on to other jobs and apply them to this day.
If you're into all play and little to no work then this is the place for you
Medical (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 23, 2017
There was way too much socializing and very little work. I worked in medical so there was plenty of people managing me or actually trying to manage me that had no clue as to what my title required me to do. Many didn't understand that there were things that I couldn't do because legally I wasn't allowed to do. Everyone wants to be the boss which would explain why there was very little production. Medical is what keeps that agency functioning and without it that agency would go down the toilet as it's doing now...
Cons
Poor management
Human Resources
Peer Advisor (Former Employee) –  Adolescents BrooklynSeptember 5, 2017
Odyssey house has a HR representative at their adolescents department that was very inappropriate judgment of person breast size than what skills they could bring to adolescents there agency services
Cons
Judgement on body size not skills
i love the people i work with
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYAugust 16, 2017
Odyssey house is doing wonderful things in the community and the staff is great. I have learned many different things working for this organization. It has been an enjoyable experience both working with the clients and the tenants
Fun and Productive
Senior Case Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 16, 2017
Good Culture and fun place to work! The hardest part of the job is the work can be challenging. The most enjoyable part is overcoming the challenge. The health Insurance is not that good.
Pros
Employee events
Cons
Healthcare
A challenging position with a team oriented environment
Sr. Outpatient Counselor/ FFT Pilot Program (Former Employee) –  Hunts Point and Edgecombe Aves.(Parole Counselor)July 27, 2017
Typically, my day started with a morning meeting to discuss coverage for those who may be absent, or following up on any administrative or client related problems. I feel fortunate to have worked at an agency which provided excellent ongoing training and weekly supervisions centered on professional development. I also very much enjoyed being given the opportunity to train and supervise interns and credential eligible staff. Working in a Department of Correction facility did prove to be challenging. Much of that challenge was related to the conflicts which arose between Correction Officers and the clients in their charge. However, though sometimes difficult I did enjoy meeting the challenge of mediating the situations through the implementation of conflict resolution techniques.
Pros
Excellent ongoing trainings in the latest evidenced based practices
Cons
Inexperienced supervisors at times.
Wonderful experience
Program Director (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 23, 2016
It was great working at BRC, I had the opportunity to work with a very diverse team of wonderful staff. I was allowed to grow and bring up great ideas to improve service delivery.
Odyssey House Inc
Resident Assistant (RA) (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 21, 2015
I realized that even though i was out of high school, my co-workers weren't. I would really love to help people and not just use my power to effect peoples lives for the worst.
challenging, fast pace work environment
Communications Clerk (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 2, 2015
Typical work day involves answering a mulitude of questions from the multi-line telephone system. Balancing appointment times and schedules of clients and counselors. The hardest part of the position is keeping the clents happy when their request may be contrary to company policy. The most enjoyable part of the job is the satisfaction derived from successfully making keeping clients satisfied with creative and realistic solutions.
Generally comfortable work environment
Night Counselor (Former Employee) –  309-311E 6St NY,NY 10003January 11, 2015
Conduct hourly runs to ensure safety of clients and facility.
Nice place to work
Health Educator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 5, 2014
Lots of work, they kept me busy, was also fun putting together the world aids day event.
Pros
Good people
Cons
short breaks
Good organization; difficult transition to smaller venue
Deputy Director of Operations (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 22, 2014
A typical day begins with review and prioritizing of all emails, reading and evaluating each and every department report, meeting with different department heads to determine what if anything is needed to be purchased and or repaired/replaced in each department. When necessary meet with outside (of the organization) providers and stakeholders. I learned to make independent decisions and to be a team player in that decision making. I also learned to work with and respect my co-workers above, below and on level with me in the corporate hierarchical environment. The hardest part of the job was being involved in the premature discharge of a consumer for rule breaking and the most enjoyable was the satisfactory consumer completion. It was enjoyable because of the part Operations plays in consumer satisfaction, education and progress.
Pros
Run For Your Life annual event, company Christmas party and Summer BBQ.
Cons
timing and political time management
Great Friendly Environment
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 20, 2014
Very typical work environment. I have learned how to conduct myself according to the correctional setting. Management is broken up into 4 segments. Open door policy. Travel is the hardest part of this job and the compensation doesnt help any. I have made several long lasting relationships that I will cherish for a lifetime.
Pros
Safe work environment
Cons
Time it takes to commute to and from work
Productive and fun place to work
Human Resources Generalist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 3, 2014
The most enjoyable part of the job is to interact with employees and to help them be more productive at work by helping them.