Office Depot OfficeMax Employee Reviews

Positive Work Environment
Impress Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New Berlin, WIMay 25, 2018
Part-time position worked well in work life balance. Enjoyed interacting with all customers types in daily problem solving activities. Path to management is very quick and rewarding.
Poor management and teamwork skills
Forklift Operator/Warehouse (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAMay 24, 2018
Managers constantly changing and managers don’t take the time to train and learn about their associates and always pushing them to do things that they are obviously not capable of doing.
Pros
Dental, medical, vision
Cons
Management, lack of teamwork skills
Tough place to work
Territory Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 24, 2018
The culture is the hardest part of the job. It's one of fake excitement and high compliance. The commission is hard to attain, and is relatively low. The benefits were good. The hardest part of the job is showing up for it.
You'll learn to be a good in providing customer service.
Head Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMay 24, 2018
This company helped me learned different avenues of providing customer service, they helped me focus on taking care of customers and do everything to make them satisfied and happy and make them come back knowing their business will be taking care of.
Nice place to work, management was pretty fun, hours are my main complaint
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Spartanburg, SCMay 24, 2018
I picked up a part time job to afford a new desktop computer over the summer and it was a "part time" job that I was working 39 hours a week. That sounds like a full time job to me. If you want the hours, this is for you. I'm a college graduate and my time is worth way more than 8.50/hr I just wanted some side money not a huge commitment and they would not cut my hours back.
Pros
lots of hours
Cons
lots of hours
not much there
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lake Worth, FLMay 24, 2018
I feel like it was only a temporary thing but when you get sick and are in then hospital, management wants you to quit. it was not fair. not enough hours
Difficult, stressful job, and corporate didn't seem to care.
Print Services Manager (Former Employee) –  Solon, OHMay 23, 2018
A typical day consisted of being drowned by more asinine corporate plans designed to attempt to save a failing company, always saying yes to customers no matter what, and a cold silence from corporate about problems causing company monetary failures. Other than immediate coworkers being great, the rest of the job was awful.
Pros
Excellent coworkers, excellent in-store management, fair discounts.
Cons
Disconnect between corporate and associates, difficulty dealing with customers
Great place to start learning on how to make sales. Great job to use communication skills and team work.
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYMay 23, 2018
A typical day at work would be just going through out the store to make sure everything is in order. I learned on how to approach customers the right way and and how to make sales by knowing on what I’m informing the customer about. Management was descent they really wouldn’t care as much as us sales consultants did about the store. The most enjoyable part of the job was when you brought customers smiles because they liked what you sold to them.
Good starting job
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, LAMay 23, 2018
A typical day at work included almost every duty in the book. Stocking, cashier, customer assistance, online ordering, etc. At Office Depot, I learned how to effectively and efficiently do what my employer asks of me, and know my own limitations. The management of the store was top-notch, while Corporate showed that they have little to no experience in Customer Service. Workplace culture at Office Depot was very laid back, but always attentive. The hardest part of the job was Black Friday. The most enjoyable part was the relationships with my coworkers that were built.
Pros
10% Employee discount
Cons
You have to learn everything in the event you're needed in any given department.
politics as usual
Operation Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 23, 2018
After so many years of dedicated effort to this company, all it takes is one bad manager looking for a scapegoat to end it. There is always someone above you in peril looking for a body to throw under the bus so it is not them. That is pretty much the scenario after two decades of service.
Pros
With the right store manager, quality teams can be built.
Cons
The wrong store manager can be cancerous to success.
Cool place
Cashier/Associate (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMay 22, 2018
I get along with everyone at my store the boss is very chill and can work with your schedule which I like as a college student. I worked cashier but wished there were more cashiers as usually it is only me and i'm dealing with more than i can handle and other associates will be too busy to help.
Pros
lunch
Cons
busy
Was an okay workplace
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Beavercreek, OHMay 22, 2018
The managers do not care about the employees. The place is very gossipy and cliquey. It is very hard to advance here and the pay is not good. It is hard to ask for days off.
Prefers Part-Timers with Big Dreams
Print Consultant (Former Employee) –  Mason, OHMay 22, 2018
The specific store I worked for kept bringing in students and part timers while the current employees were stuck where they were.

Got a pat on the back for upsells but that is about it.
Pros
Easy to catch up when store is empty
Cons
Management more worried with sales than helping employees when called on.
fast paced with lots of customer contact
Copy/Print Center Manager (Former Employee) –  Voorhees, NJMay 22, 2018
As manager of copy/print center I enjoyed helping customers with their copy projects. I also liked helping other associates be the best they could be.
Pros
Employee discounts
Cons
Work on feet for 8 hours
Less Stressfull Job
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Parker, CO 80134May 22, 2018
The hours are very flexible, you learn a lot about tech and ink, the management is pretty good,and the employees are friendly. The hardest part of the job was when it got busy you couldn't get other work done. The most enjoyable part of the job is having a diversity of tasks to keep you from being bored.
Pros
Good hours, decent pay, flexible schedule
Cons
No growth opprotunities, most jobs are part time, not a lot of benefits
Productive Summer Job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Garland, TXMay 22, 2018
Learned people skills and how to deal with difficult customers, especially during back to school, which is why I was hired, to be seasonal help during the summer.
Not worth your time.
Print Consultant (Current Employee) –  Lebanon, TNMay 22, 2018
I worked with the company for two years in their busy print department with little to no AC. 99 percent of the time I was left to clean and close the entire front end on my own while running the busiest department in the store. The job worsened my anxiety disorder to the point of having seizures, and I suffered many heat strokes while on the job. Customers have seen me so overwhelmed, busy, and exhausted to the point of collapsing to the ground with no other associates able to take control of the department due to me being one of the three people they have trained in the print department. I wrestled with the printing and finishing equipment, I've ruined my mental health, and I've done everyone else's job for two years and I only make 9.75 an hour, whereas full-time Chick Fil A employees start out at 12. I've stayed with the company this long due to their lenience on letting me take days off for school, and I've made great connections through there, but I would rather drink a gallon of bleach than to continue working with this company any longer.
Pros
nice people, flexibility, lunches
Cons
cheap upper management, stress, does not pay well, sucks
workplace environment.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  St Thomas, VIMay 21, 2018
Working with Office Max, had its good days and then its bad days.
Associates were very difficult to work with unless you were giving them hand outs for simply doing there jobs. the recognition program was in place but that never seemed to be enough.
Pros
no comments.
Cons
no comments.
Productive work place
Copy center Specialist, Maintain downtime logs (Former Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLMay 21, 2018
Good customer satisfaction of knowing, and being able to get items that are for your office needs from funiture to copy supplies and copy/fax machines.
Was ok for a first job
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Issaquah, WAMay 21, 2018
This was my first job and it definitely was not what I thought it to be. I didn’t have many good coworkers, they would mostly stick to their selves and not really help me.
Cons
Not that fun.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Office Depot OfficeMax. Our community is ready to answer.

52.1K
42.6K
32.3K

Women's ratings

Powered by Fairygodboss

3.4Fairygodboss Score

83%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

83%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.