Office Depot OfficeMax Employee Reviews

Found 8,651 reviews matching the search See all 9,460 reviews
Solid team. Positive retail experience. Difficult to advance
Associate, Logistics (Current Employee) –  Southaven, MSDecember 8, 2018
As a part-time employee at Office Depot, I have, overall, had a very positive experience. The management there is very professional and supportive and their is a lot of recognition for doing a good job. My main criticism is the time its takes to be cross-trained or promoted. I have currently worked there a little over a year and no hints of this have come up. Not sure if this is simply my experience or if this is a store-wide thing. However, if looking for part-time employment there is a lot to like here. Black Friday is a relative breeze and we are having Secret Santa this year!
Pros
Management will often get catering for big day such as Inventory and Black Friday, many opportunities to make extra cash by selling certain services and items, decent benefits
Cons
Little room for advancement.
A great place for a first job or temporary second job, not exactly career worthy.
Print Services Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Hodgkins, ILDecember 4, 2018
The company as a whole is very stable and easy to work with. In my experience, management is typically very understanding when it comes to scheduling. The only drawback tends to be with low staffing (in some areas), and a high turnover rate (due to most people choosing the company for temporary or short-term work.) Building a career with OfficeDepot OfficeMax should mainly be for those looking to get into a very sales-heavy career or a corporate career.
Pros
Full-Time Benefits with various enrollment options, some Part-Time enrollment options available. Mandatory breaks, typically scheduled.
Cons
Can be very demanding if store has staffing trouble.
Just another job
Sales Consultant - Print Services (Current Employee) –  Panama City, FLDecember 6, 2018
I am glad my boss is so flexible with the fact that I have college as well as work to focus on, because if they weren't, I would not still be with this company. Working the Copy Print Center is brutal and unrewarding. Competitive pay is nonexistent. If you are looking for a place with decent raises, this is not it. Constantly short-staffed to the point where I have found myself doing three peoples' jobs all at once. Stressful and not worth it.
Pros
Occasional sales spiffs, friendly management, flexible with schedule
Cons
Constantly short-staffed, corporate tracks everything you do with little incentive for employees, database(s) are not user-friendly at all
Do not work here
Print Shop Manager (Former Employee) –  Douglasville, GADecember 20, 2018
I worked here for a year and a half and ended up working my way up the chain pretty easily but I was taken advantage of. I started off as a sales associate and made my way up to Print and Copy Supervisor. However, I always had to work overtime, I rarely got a lunch break, schedules would be changed without warning, and the pay was very low. I started at $8.40 and hour but when I was promoted, my wage was supposed to go up to $10.00 and after 4 months of being promised I would get my pay raise, it never happened. Office Max did have good management and associates at one point but regional managers have a way of driving all of the good workers away. The last manager I dealt with was a compulsive liar and messed with time clocks which ended up in me getting paid less than what I was working for. Sadly, I am not the only past employee of Office Max this has happened too. I once loved my job there but it went down hill very quickly and was an untrustworthy place to work at.
Pros
Loyal Costumers
Cons
Untrustworthy Management
Fun and it helps you earn new things
PRINT ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Kapolei, HIJanuary 18, 2019
Working at OfficeMax, was very fun, everyday was something new in the print department where I worked at. The other employees were super friendly and helpful. Being there I have become so much more tech savvy than when I first started working I can work with different programs more easily with the little tips and tricks you acquire from using them all day. Hardest part of the job was of course dealing with the certain customers with their particular/ outragous requests or the ones who were unhappy with their final product. However the most enjoyable part was the feeling you get from the praise and appreciation that some customers give or they actually do reward you with either food or little items when you've done an excellent job regarding the quality or the fast turn around time.
I Don't Agree With the New Direction
Services Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  TexasDecember 9, 2018
The company did great in the beginning of my employment; however, I disagree with its new direction. The company is no longer an office supply retailer; instead, they want to be a technology services provider.

Hardest part of the job is typically having to work with so few associates in the building. For a large volume store, expect 3-4 associates including a manager to be in the building--sometimes even less during the night hours. Not fun.

I picked up valuable skills that can translate to other industries, but the job is very high-stress inducing. If you work great under stress, it's perfect. If you're expecting it to be laid back seek a job elsewhere.
Pros
Store teams great to work with, benefits, Pto, services spiffs
Cons
High Stress, Micromanagement, Poor Training, Understaffed, Automated Scheduling
No structure
Associate (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 30, 2018
I always wonder why they had a hiring turn over rate. They have a point system that ends at 8. It's almost you have to be a single person to work there . Not much offers for part time position if your part time you on get one 15min break and basically you have to be there a year before any benefits are offered to you . Full time you never know when you getting off. a lot of kids work there so there's always drama. Management pick favorites and sides. A bunch of ignorant people with attitude not a friendly environment. Managers are never around for your convenience . Only good thing about this job is having the weekend off
Pros
Weekend off, decent pay
Cons
Management sucks, no structure or enforce rules
Great team and good with further education in sales skills
Technology Sales Lead (Former Employee) –  Humble, TXDecember 4, 2018
I worked predominantly as technology sales lead. I sold computers, printers etc and taught others the sales tactics that I learned from the classes OD sent me on. We held meetings to teach these skills. I also often worked register, general customer service and as a stockman. Most of the promotions were coming from other stores and the pay raises were roughly about 10 cents quarterly if you did your job well. I learned some things while I was there and its a great job to have as you are coming up.
Pros
Fun group of people
Cons
doesnt really pay a decent living wage.
Not a secure place to work
Driver/Warehouse (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 12, 2018
Management is horrible PERIOD!!! Package handlers never show up for work so that means you have to load up all of your stuff. Fix your own problems cause the management/HR don’t have a clue. No guidance and training is a laugh. All he did was gossip about the management and other employees. Only good thing is the benefits PERIOD! No job security so watch out. Guys been have been there for 10 years are fired for simple reasons.
Benefits
Cons
Management / unclean trucks
Don't work here!
cashier (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXOctober 27, 2018
Training is very minimal and they don't tell you everything you will need to know. There were several times I was told to do something, but was never told HOW to do them nor was I properly train to do then. I was basically only used to do my job (which is already a lot for the low pay) and do everyone else's job as well but I was paid the lowest salary out of everyone! Not only that, but I was mistreated by one of my co-workers who constantly did things to try and get me fired and also by one of the managers who purposely got my hours cut down to only two days a week! I worked my whole shift cashiering and cleaning up my area making sure everything was organised, then I had to go to copy and print (mind you they never trained me to do so or offered to raise my pay for me to go over there and do their jobs) and help them do EVERYTHING! Some of the main people working over there were so lazy that they wouldn't even clean up after themselves! My experience there was horrible and I often found myself feeling miserable everytime I walked into work!
Pros
As many hours as you want
Cons
Low pay, more work and less pay, horrible treatment, no AC, bad work conditions!
Worked as a Customer Service Rep
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Jackson, TNSeptember 18, 2018
It was a very stressful job. Understaffed mostly. I had to fill many roles. There were no weight belts for picking up heavy products. Was always pushed and reprimanded for not enough ink subscription sales. Was talked down to by management. Treated like I was stupid. I felt like I was under surveillance, if a customer didn't buy a plan for ink or PC repair, I was asked why and then scolded for not selling any. Hostile work environment. People were leaving constantly.
Pros
Great place to work until Ink Program.
Cons
Not enough hours or pay or compensation. Rude management.
quest
Junior Quality Assurance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Wheaton, ILSeptember 27, 2018
In claims you are expected to work well over the 40 salaried hours to keep up with the workload, and get no compensation for the extra time and effort. There is no work/life balance. The company as a whole presents an image of work/life balance and caring for their employees. There's plenty of extra-curricular activities which is a plus, but it doesn't outweigh the negatives within claims. There's very poor communication from management most of the time.
Pros
managers
Cons
Workload
Great Place to work - like family
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Tukwila, WANovember 11, 2018
College student or single parent or grandparent this is a great place to step into that keeps your knowledge up to date with todays ever moving technology.
At the time I worked for the company they were the best of what I called family. Great benefits. Great managers.
Great customer base also. With so many business people who come through you get to mingle with the best of them. Made some great friends and connections.
Pros
Everything - great management
Cons
cant think of any cons
Ok
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Livonia, MIJanuary 11, 2019
I left OD over 10 years ago. I was there a couple of years and moved up from tech sales to assistant manager in that time, but I had to relocate to make that happen. Otherwise promotion and salary seemed very stagnant. Senior management was unrealistic and the district managers and corporate never backed the employees. I would never take any sales position with this company.
Pros
Cons
Corporate, Pay raises are weak
Great place to start working at!
Associate (Current Employee) –  Laredo, TXDecember 4, 2018
Employees make the work environment worthy of working at, same can't be said about customers given it's a retail store. Big company small salary, aisles are changed way too often and way too many tasks assigned to employees. Can't work on tasks without having customers asking for help. Not enough help on the sales floor. Company is transforming into a services company and employees are required to make sales by promoting services. Comission earned for some items sold is very little (5% & sometimes less).
Pros
Friendly employees
Cons
Low pay, short lunches
Issues
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  United StatesDecember 6, 2018
The company has faced many challenges and has not met them well. It is seeking a new direction in which it believes it is a good move but unfortunately only the corporate side see that potential. The company is headed in the same direction as many big now gone retailers. It puts time and money into programs instead of the TEAM. Without your team the company can succeed. It would be surprising if the company is not gone in ten years or less.
Pros
Work/ Life
Cons
Compensation and truly caring
Over all good
Sales Consultant/ Print Services (Current Employee) –  Palm Beach County, FLOctober 3, 2018
I loved my team at office depot. I learned a lot of really fantastic skills in regards on technology and print services. When I started I had no clue about either and being there now almost a year I feel I am very well versed . I enjoyed helping the customers with their needs on a day to day basis. My only complaint is they do not compensate enough for how hard all associates work and they very rarely give promotions or raises, even to those that have been there years long then I.
Pros
good skills leaned
Company Does Not Value Employees
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 7, 2018
Laid off from Office Depot twice, once while five months pregnant. There was little regard to a work/life balance and communication was lacking. Work environment was highly stressful with little to no coaching from management. In my eight years as an account manager, I had three different sales managers, two of which were highly incompetent and were terrible leaders, and higher salaries were offered to outside hires for comparable positions. The company held layoffs over our heads and kept taking away benefits, and there were days I felt like I paid the company to work for them. Attaining or exceeding goals was challenging because the compensation plan was incredibly unclear and goals were often not distributed until several months in to the year.
Cons
car allowance was decreased, mileage allowance was minimal at best, higher salaries were offered to outside hires for comparable positions
ODP Workplace Review
Sr. Compensation Analyst (Former Employee) –  Boca Raton, FLDecember 10, 2018
Great company culture, great facility. They offer career growth opportunities. I personally was able get promoted internally a couple of times. The only downside is the pay isn't great compared to other competitors and some of the benefits such as the medical could be better. Aside from that, it is one of the best companies I have ever worked for.
not enough hours or pay if you're working because you need the income. Training could be better.
Part Time - Cashier (Former Employee) –  Madison, ALSeptember 8, 2018
If you are a student or a person working for a supplemet, job is okay. Not good if you need a good salary based job. Corporate insists on your progress depending on how many customers signed up for extra income for them such as Membership to Rewards program, selling extra coverage on their equipment, etc. They are not consistent on break times and lunch hours. Was not busy enough to keep you interested during slow seasons. More or less push employees in learning about different departments on your own. Generally not an interesting job for me. The one thing I did enjoy was that I had good communications and understanding with the Office Manager. I was trained in retail and customer service differently than the way its done today. Today the policy is GET'EM IN AND OUT AS FAST AS POSSIBLE !!!!
Pros
Schedules can be flexible if you communicate with manager.
Cons
Don't have a good consistent schedule for break & lunch periods.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Office Depot OfficeMax. Our community is ready to answer.

52.4K
43K
32.7K

Ratings from women

2.3InHerSight Score

2.0Personal Development

2.6Career Opportunities

2.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight