Office Depot OfficeMax
58Below average
How has this company responded to COVID‑19?
Learn more

Office Depot OfficeMax Employee Reviews

You’re seeing reviews close to Ashburn, VA based on your current location
Not your desired location?
Choose a different one
Ashburn, VA75 reviews
At first, it was great. Nice staff, safe conditions, etc. But when we got new management, it all went downhill. We were always understaffed, the store was dirty and the closing staff did nothing to straighten up. I was fired for being sick even though I had called in.
Youll make decent money as a driver because of overtime but this job is brutal;I worked 13hour days and you lift heavy items all day.Hard on your back
I really enjoyed working at Office Depot. It actually my fault for still not being there. Everyone working together as a team to get the customer service and store A Plus. I haven't had any complaints with management. They always will to work with you as alone as you doing what you are supposed to.
There is not way i would go back; the mangers would change all the time. once i was told to lift a 150-250 pound desk and put away on the top shelf, when I ask for help they told me to fight it out. I am only 5;1 and about 120 pounds the manger was an ex college football player. Another manger thought a chair across the store.
Recently got new management. But it seems like things are just the same. Service to customers possibly got better, but the treatment towards employees didn’t. Obviously there’s favoritism.
Poor payroll skills.

Managers are all over the place & some are never to be seen during shifts.
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
Just dont. I started as a client engagement manager, was unwantedly promoted to operations manager and did the work of ALL managers. Got paid 15 an hour to do the work of an entire staff, please, if you love yourself than the money doesn't matter. That is the one and ONLY good thing. Money.
I was responsible printing and serving customer need
i learned a lot for example designing flyer business card and brochure.

my time working at office depot was great.
Pros
Pay sucks horrible management heavy turnover best part of the job was talking to the coworkers and the free food when there is free food other than that nothing
Pros
Free lunches sometime
Cons
Bad management
Office Depot is a good place for entry level positions in customer service and sales. However, the pay is very low for an experience sales consultant.
Pros
Less benefits
Cons
Short breaks
This job is as stale as a year old bag of potato chips. What do you do everyday? A whole lot of nothing. You either are reseting the store, putting merchandise away, cleaning up, storing excess product away, or you are standing around waiting to ring up a customer, deal with a complaint of how prices are too expensive from pencils or paper, or even just dealing with your manager just sounding horrendously miserable about their life and job. If you need something that is easy, uninteractive and not difficult to get as a job, this is your calling. Otherwise, don't bother.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Office Depot OfficeMax?
Positive experience all around. Management worked with me if I had any problems and I left on good terms at the end of the summer. I was a seasonal employee and would do it again.
I would not recommend to anyone to work at Office Depot. Job is not paid well, some of the supervisors are not that friendly or smiling either. Not worth the time to work there.
driving around the DC Area everyday was a bit of a strain. I learned how to work with my clients to help them get what they needed. Management was stressful because without understanding what was going on made decisions that made no sense.
Pros
out of the office
Cons
manager
Long hours of dealing with customers, understaffed and never got trained properly with all the tasks for my positions. Rarely would get an actual break for lunch. Had to quit so I could go to college
Unfortunately, the top brass feed endless busywork to the stores regardless of our capacity to accomplish it. No one at my store actually likes working there.
Pros
You'll have a lot of free time because you'll just be part time.
Cons
Management literally does nothing but talk and over delegate.
They may have been slow from time to time but they were always trying to make sure that the employees were okay. If you had nothing to do and wanted to do something they would give you the opportunity to learn something new like their copying department or how to restock or even working on the computers.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
They didn't really offer anything else to the employees.
Very busy, clean environment. Excellent training (on-site, as well as in classroom environment off-site). Worked as Front End Manager. Co-workers friendly and mission focused, serving all clients. Cross-trained every department of the entire staff to ensure full support for customers.
Pros
Friendly environment among all co-workers. Excellent 401K
Cons
steady flow of customers, certain times heavy flow

different types of office supplies

worked with four different managers, each with separate expectations of store

easy laid back environment but enough structure to get what needs done in an fast, organized pace

lots of copy center items need done, but short staffed

meeting people from different ethnic backgrounds
The work was enjoyable during my tenure. A good place to work for Retirees, such as myself.They had an excellent 401K program.Training was excellent and occasional conferences off-site were highly informative. The busiest time of the year was during School Back To School season.
Pros
Good work environment
Cons
Working with the Public in resolving their needs can be challenging.
Company went out of business when i worked for them as office depot and closed all stores. At that time company olny care about selling protection plans and what ever possible to do that
Professional atmosphere with a focus on customer service over sales. Collaborative and helpful manager and coworkers. However, could get a bit lethargic during slow periods with few or no customers.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Office Depot OfficeMax. Our community is ready to answer.
3.3K
4K
3.5K
1.2K
Diversity score
out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Office Depot OfficeMax.