Office Depot OfficeMax

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Fair pay for job
  • Trust in colleagues

It was alright for a minimum wage job but it could have been better.

At first, it was great. Nice staff, safe conditions, etc. But when we got new management, it all went downhill. We were always understaffed, the store was dirty and the closing staff did nothing to straighten up. I was fired for being sick even though I had called in.

Mindful of Students

I enjoyed working here while I was in college. They helped fit my hours around my class schedule. My supervisor was nice and taught us what we needed to work well.

Its what you make of it.

There are periods of time, we're you can make alot of money. Typically in the summer and at the beginning of the year. In between those times you have to be flexible to work in other areas.

Pros

Most holidays off

Cons

Only periods of good money

Not worth the amount of work required for the pay

Essentially have to do the jobs of 4 people by yourself. Rarely get breaks. Pretty much every store is horribly understaffed. The company always has something new to push that adds more to the work load. Company does nothing to show appreciation for their associates. It's an okay job if you are looking for low payed part time work, as they are flexible with hours.

Pros

Flexible Schedule

Cons

Too many to list

Great for learning, Bad for growth and pay

Good for learning, bad for growth. Employees and Co-Workers are very friendly but no room for growth or expansion. You can ask for a better role or a increase in pay and they never get back to you. I asked for a higher role with more responsibilities and they hired someone who had no idea what they were doing, and I was the one training them.

Pros

Friendly, Lots to learn, College Benefits

Cons

Bad Pay, Scheduling Issues

Care to share?

Help people considering your employer. Share your experience.

Management is poor

This company is bad and does not show loyalty. They have managers that are not ready to be managers and can’t manage or lead. They have associates doing whatever and people can lie on each other and get fired for anything

Pros

Bonuses sometimes

Cons

Have some poor managers and some don’t need to be managers

Friendly and safe work environment

Office Max (Office Depot) is a great company to work for. The employees receive bonuses as a team for meeting deadlines and achieving metrics. The downside is high turnover rate makes work difficult for coworkers.

Pros

Cons

Turnover

Worked in the Print Center

I worked in copy/print for almost a year, the environment wavers between hectic and sometimes overwhelming to quiet and easy-going. My duties consisted of daily copying and printing, creating and cutting out business cards/pamphlets/postcards, sending faxes/emails, and completing online customer orders. I felt undertrained and I never learned how to make stamps. Sometimes copy/print associates from a prior shift would fail to complete work orders leaving out crucial details or dates. Getting a lunch break was often a challenge due to an influx of customers and a lack of associates capable of taking over. On a more personal note, it wasn't all bad, it was a decent first job that got me out of my comfort zone and I will always remember my supervisor fondly despite her sometimes rough demeanor.

Pros

Employee Discount, Learned New Things

Cons

Can be Stressful

A good company to work for, allows you to have flexible schedule and to learn a few things about the retail work environment. You can learn a number of positions here even if you only applied for 1, great opportunities but lowish pay, would recommend for a student, or first job but not a provider.

Pros

Lunch, flexibility

Cons

Pay

pay was poor and store was short staffed

poor management; and low pay. only good thing was being able to adjust your schedule if you were in school. management was unhelpful and did not help out at all.

Eh, it's okay

Office Depot was a decent place to work if starting in retail, but the pay was too low and there wasn't much room for advancing so I had to move on to another employer.

Pros

Good experience

Cons

Low pay, no advancement

Its okay

Its alright. It gets boring because most of the time there are barely any customers.The employees are nice and the work is simple and easy being a cashier

Pros

Simple job

Cons

gets boring

Easy and relaxed. Good People. Pay is average retail

Its a simple and calm place to work. Nothing special. Hopefully you work with some cool people its the time go by smooth. I would recommend for my kids for PT Job.

Its a good job to start

When I worked at office depot the managers were extremly understanding and helpfull. I was able to go from being a cashier to be on the floor and working with copy and print department. Its a fairly easy job to do.

Way better to work for back in the day

Office Depot has become one of those retail stores where they will cut any expense other than corporate salaries, which includes cutting payroll down on a store level to the point where sometimes there are only two employees running the whole store while the third is on their break. This combined with the hands on customer service experience means very disappointed customers and stressed out employees.

Pros

Store managers are great, when I started we got good benefits like life insurance

Cons

Commission and 401k match just kept going down and down

environment

learned alot about damages and defect procedure management loved working for good peoplehad own officeprocessed damaged merchandiseresponsible for delivery counts had a great managerlearned about cash office

Pros

nice people

Cons

long work days

Terrible job, everyone keeps leaving

Honestly, this job isn’t good at all, you have these irate customers that do the most and it’s annoying. Some management is good but a lot of the time (the managers that aren’t the general managers) don’t bother helping kill the line nor do they side with you because “the customer is always right.” People are always leaving making you feel like you honestly don’t have a way out so have a second option for a retail job if you need it.

Pros

quarterly bonuses

Cons

everything else

Totally depends on your manager

Make sure that you get a good manager and a good team. That makes all the difference when working retail, and especially true at Office Depot. Not too busy, pay is OK, but great time if you have the team

Easy Job

Job is very easy but obviously as a seasonal employee pay is not very good. My co workers were friendly and nice to work with. Overall not a bad part time job but not a career building job.

Used to be a good company

Upper Management is running company into ground. Too many inventory issues that are uncontrollable at store level, but stores take fall in customer experience and sales due to it. They want you to make Diamonds from dust you are given. Pays well compared to other retailers and work life balance has always been good for a Retail Manager.

Pros

Pay, Work Balance

Cons

Corporate Management has no idea what they are doing

Fun work place

You’ll do good if you work hard and keep coming to work. All you have to do is show up. I promise there is a future in this company for you l. Go for it

Pros

Free lunch

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Office Depot OfficeMax. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3K

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Office Depot OfficeMax.
Powered byComparably