Office Depot OfficeMax

Office Depot OfficeMax Employee Reviews

United States12,220 reviews

Found 12,220 reviews matching the searchSee all 14,119 reviews
officemaxprintcopystoremaxofficeretailcustomer

It was alright for a minimum wage job but it could have been better.

At first, it was great. Nice staff, safe conditions, etc. But when we got new management, it all went downhill. We were always understaffed, the store was dirty and the closing staff did nothing to straighten up. I was fired for being sick even though I had called in.

Good work

It was good place to work I loved it you move ul fast and no one judges you. You work hard and out in the the time and you’ll get there easy peasy. It’s cool

Office Depot OfficeMax insights

Based on 3,778 survey responses
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging
  • Overall satisfaction

Good company to work for, strict management

Office Depot requires its associates to adhere to MANY strict policies that some store managements are harsher with than others. The company offers health benefits & compensation that would appeal to the average young American adult who NEEDS a job.

Great managers, hard customer service

Working at Office Depot had probably been the best job I’ve had. Management is great. The pay could be more but they seem to understand that. Job is hectic and customers can be hard to deal with. But overall a good job and great learning experience.

felt like the store was stuck in the 80's

very little internal technology updates to systems so all systems are well over a decade old and not in sight for replacement. complete lack of employee base to make up for it either

Pros

Cons

read review

Easy fun

It was a easy fun job for a younger person looking to make some extra money not something that I wanted long term. Nothing to complain about just needed something with more challenges

HR Leadership in disarray

Constant restructuring and no job stability within HR. Will meet great people at individual contributor level. Beware of severance and promotions with no pay increase.

It okay…

I wouldn’t work here if you want decent hours. Sure it might be 18 an hour minimum but my first paycheck was 800 due to lack of hours. If your looking for part time then this is the place for you. But if you are looking if for a place to get decent hours and a consistent start time, I insist else ware. The people are okay tho. They are helpful when ever you need improvement. Benefits are pretty mid.

Not bad

It was a very rouyine defined job. It is a regular paced environment. The only problem is that it takes a toil in your back when cosindering the loads you havr to carry.

Not a bad place to work.

I enjoyed working for Office Depot. The management staff and other employees are amazing to work with. I just wish you were allowed to work more than 25 hours.

easy

very easy job to get into, you will definitely enjoy the copy and print center side of things if you’re into technology as you’ll get to play with softwares that you can’t usually access

Bad Management, unfair pay.

Managers do not care about associates. Disrespectful to customers and Associates. Working there gives you too much stress for how little you get paid.

Pros

Employee discount, healthcare, 401 k

Cons

short break, unfair pay, stressful environment

What is the best part of working at the company?You work with some cool people.......What is the most stressful part about working at the company?They are always short of people and try to work with the least amount of labor to save money making everyone else work that much harder.What is the work environment and culture like at the company?It's okay....some managers are clueless......but you'll live.What is a typical day like for you at the company?Come in, work, leave! Scheduled breaks and daily meeting.

Balanced Ups and Downs

It was a good work experience generally but I had to struggle to be taken seriously about my scheduling needs more than once. Customers were usually mean or cold, but repeat clients were usually kinder than the others. Good coworkers for the most part. It isn't the worst job, but after two years of what I experienced, I wouldn't recommend it if you genuinely care about other people or about doing your job well. You'll get drained very quickly. Machines are always broken because corporate won't replace them, workers aren't compensated fairly for their hard work until they try to leave, head management has to be badgered to fix anything but usually other managers have to overextend themselves to make workers feel heard and cared about... it's not the worst but it's not the best either.

Easy Going

Office Depot isn’t a bad place to work, customers may come in groups or separately and try to check out at the same time. Management is very good and will take time to listen to you and your needs. Coworkers are usually fun to talk to and work with. Overall it’s a nice job although you will be paid bi-weekly, leaving you with less money than you need

Cheap

Minimum wage for demanding managers. The company should be underwater by now. In the summers, the store was so hot that customers complained about having to shop quicker because they thought they might pass out. In the winters, the staff went against dress code to wear hats, gloves, and jackets because they kept it so cold.

What is the best part of working at the company?Only the payday.What is the most stressful part about working at the company?Managers, coworkers not being teammembers, but we're cold, rude, bossy and just plain mean.What is the work environment and culture like at the company?Work focused to achieve, be productive and kind to employees and coworkers.What is a typical day like for you at the company?Rude, mean. Judgemental.

Good work

It’s office supplies so it’s obviously going to be boring work sometimes but your coworkers always make a job a lot better. Management can be nit picky but it’s only because the higher ups are.

Muy bien el trabajo con mis compañeros

Un ambiente muy bueno. E aprendido aser inventario de lo que reciving.me ciento bien . Tengo ayuda de mis compañeros

Good place to start

You will learn proper customer service techniques, build relationships with customers and employees, and make a decent wage doing so. There isnt much stress as long as you show up and do your job.

Pros

Understanding management, lowkey profile

Cons

occasional mean customer

Decent Company

Office Depot overall isn't an awful company. The pay is low and their priorities are not straight, but the job responsibilities are manageable. There is some opportunity to grow into management throughout the district, which adds a good amount of stress from upper management. There is a lot they can improve on, but the typical workday is manageable with the right crew.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Office Depot OfficeMax. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

2.6
InHerSight Score
2.4Personal Development
2.9Career Opportunities
2.5Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight