Office of Emergency Management

Office of Emergency Management Employee Reviews

United States26 reviews
Roll Call is at 1400 hrs. Swipe in to start the day at 1330 hrs. Sit on a zone, Relay information to police officers while making officer safety a primary importance. Management is generally understaffed.The culture is a family environment. The hardest part of the job is the stress level that comes along with it. The most enjoyable part of the job is comraderie between co workers.
Pros
high pace environment, salary, comraderie, family feel, serving others
Cons
hours of operation
When I started with OEM we had a great Director. The work environment was very good. Everyone looked forward to coming to work. The City of San Jose was not smart enough to keep the Director and he moved on to another place. The City then hired the worst Director and he decimated OEM of its personal, funding, reputation, and all the hard work we all that left did to make the agency viable and trusted in the City and Community.
Pros
Can't think of any.
Cons
Too many to list. Not a good safe place to work.
As the Training Coordinator/Accreditation Manager, my responsibilities consisted of researching Incident Command System (ICS) training and offering it to Prince George's County Employees. At the time, the Office of Emergency Management was not an accredited agency. I was the agency's first accreditation manager, but unfortunately, I left the agency at the very beginning of the process for accreditation. The culture of the workplace was great. Planning and participating in ICS events challenged your creativity and allowed you to use your mind, which I found very rewarding.
Don’t walk; run in the other direction from Emergency Management! The other departments under the state DHS umbrella appear to operate at much higher standards and integrity than OEM, which was the unspoken laughing stock of DHS. The Director lacks in depth knowledge of program regulations and materials and often has a foul attitude.

Most employees are hardworking; however, there is at least one or two who are abusive and unprofessional by even rudimentary standards of conduct and should be terminated! The morale is poor and the work products are substandard; if you are a professional invested in your career, you will put in your year and end up transferring!
Share your experience
Let job seekers know what it's like to work at your company.
This was a wonderful work internship and learning opportunity. I learned a lot working under the City of Denton Emergency Manager, and I look forward to working with him again in the future.
manager made promises he never intended to carry through. stated was happy with my performance and would be interested in hiring full time, but never gave an opportunity to do so.
Pros
na
Cons
na
I enjoyed every minute of working here working at different events around the city of chicago working with the crowds of people and personalities and open options for overtime
This Company is a better fit for people who are in school and for people that doesn’t have the mischief responsibilities because of hours are never stable.
I was an intern there. It gave me some good experience, but there was a lot of down time. The office is mostly staffed by interns. There are only three full-time employees. The people were really nice and welcoming though
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Office of Emergency Management?
It is all volunteer work, but it does offer hands on training in emergencies and can help one achieve certifications in CPR/AED, first aid and first responder.
Pros
you get out what you put into it
Cons
no pay
I would recommend this job to anyone, great city, great people, A job and career you can be proud of. A chance to work with business and industry of downtown fortune 500/100 companies.
Pros
great place
Cons
If you want an excellent opportunity to serve the citizens of North Texas during an emergency, then this is the place to work. State-of-the-art facilities and industry-leading staff make Dallas the regional leader in emergency management.
Pros
You're at the heart of the industry in North Texas.
Cons
Little opportunity for career advancement.
For a part-time job, it can be stressful but most of the time it is balanced knowing you are helping the local communities. He hardest part of the job involves record keeping and grant audits. I am able to attend different local, state and federal courses to learn how the different areas of community wellness.
Pros
Mostly self directed.
Cons
Part-time.
I completed an internship program over the summer and then I was called back to work during the Harvey storm event as a Planning Assistant for a few months.
Pros
Free lunch, great coworkers, great ambiance, great learning opportunity
Cons
No cons
This was my first job, I had during summer. it was a fun experience to have a taste of what was to come. The workers were nice and helped us on certain things when they weren't out of the place. Our direct manager was also quite nice, but she certainly like things done her way and no one elses. The hardest part of the job could have been not doing that many things around since mainly we served the emergency crew when they came back from duties and that was on rare occations. But overall I'm quite fond of those memories.
My job was to keep communications open for the Police, Firemen, and the Red Cross. Always meeting people in need and try to comfort them. Always good to cheer someone up.
Pros
Helping people in need
Cons
Lots of sad faces
Professional and Knowledgeable Office Clerk with over 20+ years of experience in managing activities within an office. Well organized and competent in ordering supplies, maintaining files, answering phonelines and managing general office appearance and repairs. Excellent communication skills with the public and numerous entities.
Pros
Getting to work and train with local emergency personal
Cons
on call 24 hours and long hours during disasters
I have enjoyed my experience with the Office of Emergency Management. The staffing is the best people to work with. If I was able to go back to this job I would.
A typical day watching the news for the weather so you can be prepared for Mother Nature. With this job you will have to learn to have patience and how stay humble. Just for the simple fact that you have to deal a million people with different personalities and attitudes everyday! The management is not all that great by it being one of the lowest city departments. The hardest thing to do is to get grown people to follow simple directions. The best part of the job is just being at some city events that's making history for example: The Cubs winning the World Series. I can say I was their to them make history.
Pros
Free Transportation on CTA, Get to see mostly all city events
Cons
Short Lunch Breaks, No Benefits, No Set Hours
Typical day at work - Taking minutes at Press Conferences, meetings, briefings
Learned - Operations during snow storms

Management - Excellent

Co-Workers - Good

Hardest part of the job - Leaving when assignment was over

Most enjoyable part of the job - FREE Certifications call to action for all natural disasters
Pros
Learning IT
Cons
Job ending to soon
Office of Emergency Management is a very big help to the community and i am very glad to be a part of the hands that continue to strive for the best.A typical day would be to during events or storms to close off roadways and help plan for future events or unplanned events to occur.