Office Of Personnel Management Employee Reviews

Would NOT Recommend
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 23, 2018
Everything about OPM is just wrong I’ve never worked at an agency that was so improperly ran. Those who gave OPM good ratings could not have had any good jobs prior because this agency is bottom of the bottom. Everything here is a guessing game, there is no training or guidlines to follow you just wing it until you learn it. Biggest regret of my year so far was taking a job at this agency. OPM should be ashamed of themselves for operating such a run down agency.
Pros
Cons
Management, No Structure, No policies, Terrible HelpDesk Service
Productive and fast paced
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 21, 2018
I loved the fact of being a federal employee, but the pay was poor and the benefits were too expensive. I enjoyed the work I did amd neing able to help people with their cases.
Such a small agency and very stressful
Senior Accountant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DC 20415March 6, 2018
You don't have any advancement opportunities. Managers and Supervisors come and go. Managers and Supervisors do not care about the employees. Its stressful.
Pros
Good benefits and sometimes good pay.
Cons
No advancement opportunities, poor operation, poor management
Fast Pace Environment
HI/PDS/PSA -Senior Program Analyst GS-13 (Current Employee) –  Washington City, DCFebruary 26, 2018
A typical day at work begins with reviewing and responding to emails, returning calls, reviewing work calendars and preparing for 3 to 4 scheduled meetings and non-scheduled meetings.

What I have learned, is there is always an opportunity to learn, but it there isn't always an opportunity to put those skills into practice and advance professionally.

Management could be improved.

Workplace culture can be a mix bag of personalities. In some cases a great team makes up where management lacks...which makes it worthwhile coming to work.

The hardest part of the job is lack of advancement.

The most enjoyable part of the job are my coworkers. We support each and cross-train each other on various task and projects. We elevate one another at every opportunity.
Pros
Flexable Work Schedule
Cons
lack of career advancement
Excellent
Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 2, 2018
You will received adequate training working for the agency. A typical day is high paced because you are working on a schedule advertising vacancies and rating applications.
Very busy office
Data Transcriber (Former Employee) –  Boyers, PAOctober 1, 2017
I worked there for eight years but you had to prove yourself. Production count and quality of work was very important. So your coworkers could be stressed.
Pros
Advancement
Cons
stress
Great benefits
Federal Employee (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 11, 2017
Working for the Federal government is an honor. Great benefits, decent pay, great job security and promotional opportunities provided for those who are willing to work hard and well.
Exciting job at first
Background Investigator |Contracted (Former Employee) –  FloridaSeptember 7, 2017
The work life balance is horrible. The work is exciting and interesting. This job requires complete dedication and there can be no distractions. The hours are long and the expectations are high, the training is horrible.
Friendly workplace with great colleagues and meaningful work
Legal Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 8, 2017
A wide scope of issues are handled by the office, so there is a chance to get exposed to new areas. Everyone is friendly and great to work with. Flexible and understanding hours and management was great.
Great working environment
Hyperbaric System Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Groton, CTAugust 6, 2017
Typical day is from 0700-1630 plus or minus a little depending on your work schedule. People are friendly, however the tempo is normally very face paced and you can have a lot of responsibility even as a newer ascension.
Fast Paced Work place
Data Entry Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Macon, GAJune 13, 2017
I am a contractor for the federal government. My contract consist of various departments and job duties. For myself, I have been recruited the last 3-4 years to work the Help Desk for USAJOBS. They day consist of assisting applicants for 8 hours via email as well as by phone.
Pros
Lunch break and two paid 15 minute breaks.
Cons
No room for advancement
Was contract work
Administrative Assistant/Data Entry Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 6, 2017
Working for the opm department was excitng and fun. The department I worked for, I had a chance to travel and be a part of a symposium that took place in los angeles, ca.
Team spirit was number one
Supervisory Human Resources Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 15, 2017
Day was full of requirements to process new hire paperwork, provide new hire orientation, explain benefits package, and process separations. I learned how to be a geat mentor and manager. The management was flexible and allowed employees to advance if they showed the ability and interest.

The culture was team focused which was the most enjoyable part of the job.

The hardest part was keeping the the work moving and meeting multiple competing deadlines.
Pros
Made me a better leader.
Cons
Had lay-offs, and had process that paperwork for clients who had become friends.
Helps pays my bills
IT Specialist/Systems Analyst/Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington City, DCDecember 10, 2016
I think that OPM can be the absolute best place to be in this world if it weren't strife with cliques, politics and selective promotions of certain people.
Pros
Union Representation
Cons
Political, Lots of federal bureaucracy
Good place to pick some experience in your field
NP2 Tier 1 Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 23, 2016
i learned how to:
 Assist users with administrative configuration issues such as workstation troubleshooting, account configuration, basic troubleshooting, email system usage, and other non-hands on activities.
 Resets account passwords, security tokens, PINs, and other administrative account management support activities as needed.
 All work will be contained and documented in the agency’s Remedy ticketing system.
Pros
hour lunch and work experience
Cons
not sure if permanent position will be available when contract ends
Work was rewarding.
Test Administrator (Former Employee) –  Fort Leonard Wood, MOJune 11, 2016
Little management involvement other than schedules sent for testing.
Testers were eager to take the test and everything went like clockwork down to scoring and submitting test results.

Items were secured by me in a locked cabinet, room and building with military security.
Pros
Fast paced, management support our efforts and trusted employees
Cons
no cons
Relaxing
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Boyers, PAMay 11, 2016
Not a job that has a lot of stress. It is a job that allows for one to master skill in critical thinking and communication in dealing with customers on a daily basis. It was a fun environment to work at, while not being micro-managed.
Opm
Lead Human Resources Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 22, 2016
OPM was a great job. I learned a lot, made a lot of great contacts in the federal government, and enjoyed the job very much.
Excellent Place to Work
Business Architect (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 2, 2016
Excellent Federal Agency to work. Very capable management and support staff. Focused on planning and very specific about execution .
Great place and fun work place
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 15, 2015
They are friendly people to work with as team work and can travel that are relative to job... communicated easy with co-workers and have some deaf co workers that can communicated with... lots special events going on