Office of the Comptroller Employee Reviews

4.3
Ratings breakdown
4.2Pay & Benefits
Excellent place in goverment to work
Director of Legal Affairs (Former Employee) –  San Juan, PRSeptember 30, 2017
As a Director, I supervise all the employees of the Office of the Comptroller of the Legal Division, including the clerks, legal advisors, the manager and other executives. I started as a legal advisor, the became the Manager and finally the Director. I gained knowledge of how all public agencies and entities work, their laws and regulations. The OCPR is the agency that audits the use of public property and funds and oversees that it is used according to applicable law and regulations. Also, we prepare and offer several seminars to public executives and employees about the proper use of government property and funds, among other related matters.

I recently arrived to Flower Mound, Texas, from Puerto Rico after the disaster caused by Hurricane Maria. For this reason, I have to search for jobs related to my experience, that would not require a license.
Pros
Cons
My law practice has been limited to goverment administration for the last 15 years.
Great opportunity, disorganized command leadership
Financial Management Analyst (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJune 6, 2017
Cons: As a contractor, you do not obtain the same level of training as civil servants, which makes learning the technology and staying apprised of changes challenging.

Command leadership had heavy management turnover at my time, several Budget & Accounting Officers within 2 years so I was given conflicting information, training, assignments, etc.

Pros: Programs were interesting and work was interesting.
Flexible schedule and general installation atmosphere were positive.
Fun WorkPlace
Receptionist/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 11, 2016
Greet clients/customers. General office duties. Being courteous. Management and staff were great. I didn't find anything hard about the job. The most enjoyable was helping others.
Pros
Free Breakfast
Cons
short breaks
Productive Workplace with Wonderful CO-workers
Audit Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Mineola, NYMarch 6, 2014
Working at the Nassau County Comptroller's office was one of the greatest experiences of my life. I learned so much from everyone that working in Field Audit, and I learned a lot about what it is like to work for a Government Agency. Management was great in finding me the right work to be done, while being efficient and productive in coming with findings for the department. I learned how to use Microsoft Excel, which is a program I am now very comfortable using.
All in all productive
Auditor (Staff Analyst Trainee) (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 29, 2013
Being there for a little over a year, you honestly learn a lot about auditing -- especially if you came right out of college. They use an electronic filing system called Teammate where you add workpapers that you have and that were given to you by the auditees. It's a diverse office so you meet many people with many backgrounds. In addition, there is a mandatory amount of CPE credits that one must complete in a 1-2 year period. During this period, you take many classes -- some that can be of use and others that can simply refresh your memory and sharpen your skills. Either way, the classes are rather helpful.

Now working there is not all peaches and cream -- there are some negatives. I believe that one of the biggest problems in the office is favoritism. So best thing to do is just do your work and stay out of the range of fire. Also if you want a job where you get great pay and there's room for advancement, this probably isn't the best choice of employment for you.

All in all, it's an "okay" place to work at. It's not necessarily the dream job of the millennium but it's not the worst either. It all depends on the individual.
Pros
Acquire a lot of knowledge of auditing. Learn to think outside of the box.
Cons
Favoritism is probably the major con. Low pay. Little room for advancement.

Want to know more about Office of the Comptroller?

Ask a question