OGLETREE DEAKINS Employee Reviews

A garden-variety thankless job
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXOctober 7, 2018
At my office, the management was uncaring and the leadership was nearly non-existent. My office administrator, to be perfectly frank, had a weak understanding of how to motivate employees and was so lazy, his abilities to do so almost wouldn't have mattered. Most of his motivational talks to me were so obviously a manipulation tactic that they were much more of an insult than a motivational talk. Outside of that, he had a nasty habit of making derogatory jokes about me in front of me, not showing up to the office for extended periods of time so all correspondence had to be through email, and instructing me to take on new tasks and forgetting about them, so he would not tell me to stop doing them after it was no longer necessary. (P.S. I've included a false location because I was the only office assistant in my office and anonymity would otherwise be impossible, and, furthermore, wouldn't want the risk of any soft retaliation.)
Pros
A solid number of paid holidays
Cons
Callous Management and No Upward Mobility
N/a
Temporary paralegal (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 3, 2018
It was a difficult place to work, as the attorneys there are older and although talented, are very set in their ways and expect you to read their minds.
A great place to work
Records Coordinator /Immigration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 26, 2018
Ogletree Deakins is a great place to work. Friendly atmosphere and professional environment! Great management from Attorneys and office administrator.
Pros
Free lunch, free parking, free Marta Access
Cons
N/a
Good Place to work
Intern and File Clerk and Copy Room (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 29, 2018
Loving people and caring people and great job and easy to do. Easy to learn your job and great people to be around and great benefits. this job was an amazing job and experience for me.
Pros
great people
PRACTICE ASSISTANT, LTC4 TECHNOLOGY CERTIFIED (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCJune 17, 2018
Good place to work. Nice environment as long as you are working well with your attorneys. The staff has little input and little value at the company. Attorneys determine individuals value.
Good
Practice Assistant (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMay 17, 2018
Good place to work, management had some rough spots. High pace work environment with high expectations. Good team work skills necessary to work here nd built here.
It's a law firm
Technologist (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCMay 12, 2018
It's a law firm so some of the culture and work is par for the course. Bring a thick skin and learn as much as possible. Some people have been there for a long time.
Pros
Lots of events
Cons
Management is still growning
Absolutely top notch law firm
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCApril 22, 2018
The attorneys and support staff are incredible. The office manager is the best, most supportive manager I have ever worked for. Had I been able to segue into a legal assistant position, I would never have left. They are a class act in EVERY possible category.
Pros
Cons
None.
Total Negativity from Partners and Shareholders...Total disrepect.
Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCApril 22, 2018
I would not recommend anyone work here. The attorney, I provided work to was demonic....All the attorneys talked bad about the paralegals in front of their peers...Total lack of respect and appreciation for their paralegals.
Pros
Pay check and health benefits
Cons
Not a healthy place to work
Extremely stressful; too many attorneys per secetary
Legal Secretary (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLApril 11, 2018
The secretaries starting times are staggered which is good. I constantly learned new ways of doing my work. Our computer programs were updated regularly. The hardest part of this job is the ratio of attorneys to one secretary.
Friendly people and atmosphere
Human Resources Internship (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 3, 2018
Ogletree Deakins is a driven law firm. The dress is business casual, and the people are friendly and helpful. On the downside, the office offers no work/life balance.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
No work/life balance
Great company for those that know how to play the game
Help Desk Analyst (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCMarch 15, 2018
The company seems to be thriving which is a good thing. However, there are many snakes there and you must try to be liked early or risk being forced out one way or the other.
Pros
food often provided
Cons
people speak negatively about an employee who is not around
nice office
Employee (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 30, 2018
Nice office with mostly nice people. Good life work balance. Some overtime. Some benefits are good but health insurance could have been better. Opportunity to learn.
Pros
nice pay, nice office
I thought I would Retire here
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJanuary 10, 2018
I loved my job at Ogletree. Unfortunately if you make mistakes you are not made aware. Then, you are let go claiming it just wasn't a good fit. I had no idea I was making mistakes, I worked hard, I was thanked by the attorneys and staff for tasks I did. Management needs to check in more to find out how things are going or to make sure things are running smoothly. A few months ago I emailed my supervisor to ask if I were doing a good job. My supervisor replied that I was doing a great job.
Pros
Good benifits, employees from other offices were always eager to help
Cons
Management are not in touch with employees.
Great firm to work for
Legal Secretary (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 8, 2018
Great place to work at. Great attorneys and staff. Just wish there was more vacation time. 12 days just isn't enough. Otherwise, the atmosphere and benefits are great
Wonderful company to work for
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Ridgeland, MSNovember 14, 2017
Family oriented, relaxed atmosphere. Dedicated Staff that are willing to work together to problem solve. Great management. Overall wonderful company to work for!
Lots to learn here
Affirmative Action Data Analyst (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SCOctober 23, 2017
great deal to learn in fast paced settings. People are friendly but there is a lack of flexibility that can lead to stressful environment. Some cattiness in younger workers.
Pros
friendly people
Cons
not very flexible or family friendly
Management out of touch; open working environment kills productivity.
Immigration Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCAugust 4, 2017
The law firm location is very inconvenient, and all support staff work in an open floor plan, where only the attorneys have offices. This makes concentration difficult and greatly lowers productivity. The law firm claims to have a bonus structure in place for paralegals, but the guidelines are not clearly laid out and no one is aware that there are bonus programs available to them. In addition, there is a lack of communication between management and partners/associates/paralegals. Management has no clue what is going on in the legal departments, yet they implement rules that strongly affect the members of these legal teams. There is no flexibility within the rigid structure of the firm - everyone must follow the same rules regardless of the circumstances, whether they be work-related or not.
Fair
Paralegal (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 2, 2017
Fast passed environment however you have the option to make it as stressful or not stressful as you'd prefer. Attorneys are great about adjusting your caseload to meet your needs. If you are learning a new visa type, there are always people happy to help.
Not a good place
Litigation Secretary (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 20, 2017
This place must work for some folks; just not me. The support staff is overworked and understaffed. Have breakfast every Friday and good people to work with.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at OGLETREE DEAKINS. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about