Ohio Department of Education Employee Reviews

Some days are better than others
Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 2, 2018
Benefits package is the best part of the job. If you are satisfied to be micromanaged and are willing to be undervalued and overlooked this is the place for you!
Pros
Good benefits.
Cons
Horrible managers
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 12, 2018
I got along great with management and staff. It was a fast paced office where I learned a lot and my immediate supervisor depended on me a great deal with meant a lot to me that he had that much confidence in me/
Great Environment
Fill in for the full time instructor (Current Employee) –  Piketon, OHNovember 28, 2017
Great Students And Great Teachers To Work With. Different Things To Do Each Day. Love To Teach & Will As Long As Possible. Greatfull To Be A Substitute Teacher.
Pros
Work When You Want.
Cons
Work As Needed.
Ohio Department of Education Office for Child Nutrition
Data Processor 3 (Part-Time)/Licensing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 2, 2017
Before the new director took over in child nutrition, it was an awesome place to work. Management was wonderful and caring, everyone was a "family" team. I was given challenging assignments and felt appreciated. After new management, half of our staff left or were fired and the whole atmosphere changed. I was treated more like support staff and was put on phone triage (which made my regular work performance drop because of constant interruptions). Work load was crazy because of the drop in staff members and the turnover rate with new employees was really high as well. The hardest part was just not feeling valued with the new management team. The most enjoyable part was knowing that I was giving good customer service to the people I worked with all over the state of Ohio. Also, knowing that good meals were provided to children all over the state.
Pros
Good benefits, good hours
Cons
High cost of parking downtown, construction everywhere
Productive place to work. Good team environment.
Education Contractor (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 8, 2017
Typical work day consisted of review of current school standards and assessment of specific needs. Meeting with administrators to review requirements.
Pros
Very good team.
Cons
Position was not permanent.
Good money, Less than positive leadership
Management (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OhioJune 19, 2017
The Department of Education is a great place to work if you are interested in being well paid. If you actually care about doing a great job, at some point you will become disappointed, There is a lot of "dead wood" and "gold-bricking".
Pros
Great Pay
Cons
Bad leadership, less than motivated staff
Good job
Career Tech Education - Program Specialist (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 20, 2017
The pay starts low, but it is a good job if you want to try to make a difference in education from the policy side. The people are good people and truly care about the students of Ohio.
Pros
Great exposure to school leadership
Cons
Low pay
excellent trainings for teachers
Praxis III Assessor (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHMay 19, 2017
The most enjoyable part of the job were the staff development. The trainings were comprehensive and relevant to the teaching positions. The management was balanced in their expectations. I learned how to use evidence to write the teachers classroom performance.
Pros
relevant topics
Cons
long drives to schools
Productive and fun workplace
Substitute Teacher PreK-12 (Current Employee) –  Athens, OHApril 14, 2017
As a substitute teacher I am given calls throughout the evenings and mornings, I am asked to substitute at various schools across the county of Athens.
Fun
Improvement Process Consultant (Former Employee) –  OhioJanuary 17, 2017
Great career with snow days summers off and TONS of professional growth in the form of trainings. Clients were receptive and fun to work with.
Pros
changing work
Cons
office
Good Place to work with Benefits
Administrative Assistant to Assistant Director (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHDecember 8, 2016
Left do to trying to implement the team concept after many years from top down management. It wasn't working. I resigned due to the management or lack of.
Benefits
Cons
No Direction
Challenging
Acts for the administrator (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 18, 2016
I enjoy the challenge of working with stakeholders from across the state of Ohio. I also enjoy working for USDA and auditing for compliance. It's been a good 12 years.
Great organization tasked with oversight of Ohio's public education system
Associate Director (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHDecember 28, 2015
Great organization with a monumental task. Committed, Educated Professional staff. The politics of public education sometimes interfered with our execution of policies and regulations but the commitment of agency staff to get it right was never in question.
Pros
Clear guidance proffered by the Ohio Revised and Administrative Codes
Cons
The politics of public education.
Great Ratings
5th/6th/7th grade Teacher (Current Employee) –  Springfield, OHNovember 16, 2015
Great reviews• Strengthened comprehension skills such as making connections and predictions, and asking questions
• Encouraged critical thinking as well as targeted ISAT skills through stimulating discussions, purposeful journal writing,
and focused essay writing
• Created various original assessments for each text in the curriculum
6th Social Studies
Good pay- poor management
Educ Prgm Specialist Child Nutrition Program (CNP) (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 2, 2015
The environment at this agency is punitive and negative. Managers have no training. A lot of good work happens in this organization, but the leadership is lacking.
Pros
pay
Cons
toxic environment
Project was a bit unorganized
Business System Analyst/Project Management (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 20, 2015
The business end of my project was great. Very easy to work with and well organized. I did not think the Project Manger was very helpful or detailed. deadlines were not met because of the PM not getting information needed.
Good learning experience
Assistant Leadership Coordinator (Current Employee) –  OhioJune 8, 2015
Working for the Ohio DECA division of the Ohio Department of Education has been a vastly rewarding experience. The opportunity to help students advance their success is invaluable.
Great contract work
Resident Educator Summative Assessor (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMay 27, 2015
Simple and easy online work that is done at home. This was an easy training system to use after they got the bugs workout out of it.
governmental compliance
Education Consultant (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 7, 2015
Travel throughout the state of Ohio conducting compliance reviews related to a USDA Food Program for children and adults. Audit accounting documents as it pertains to operating a not-for-profit food service.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
Federal regulations
Energetic and creative enviroinment that allows us to give back to the commuity
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHOctober 20, 2014
I completed data information I processed scholarship for the students in private schools, updated parents information for student’s scholarships. Faxed and filed parents and students information. Maintained large database, entered applications and affidavits into the system. Entered confidential information like parents information and student information for eligibility.
Pros
Talking to some returing parents that had to update there information
Cons
When entering information the system and it would clash, completely stop working