Ohio National Financial Services Employee Reviews

Has been voted "One of the Best Places to Work in Cincinnati" many times
Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Blue Ash, OHApril 2, 2018
My role as Claims Field rep required that I travel nation-wide, every other week. I traveled to Portland, Oregon ....to Portland Maine...and everywhere in-between. I conducted unannounced interviews, arranged interviews, and even neighborhood canvasses. My co-workers were smart, witty, and fun to be around. My job required high-level planning, organizing, interactions, research, language skills, computer skills, financial management, decision making, etc.The job culture was very supportive and encouraging.
Standard Financial Workplace
Intern (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, OHMarch 23, 2018
Traditional workplace and management hierarchical waterfall. Lots of meetings. Lots of emails. Lots of inefficiencies. Lot of bureaucracy. Traditional office attire - not so relaxed.
Pros
Great cafeteria selections for breakfast and lunch, outdoor seating, some really great people, covered parking garage, gym
Cons
Old-school straight-laced workplace and hierarchy
Official response from Ohio National Financial Services
May 3, 2018

Your feedback is important in maintaining our Top Workplace culture. We assure you that your comments are heard and will be used to enhance the culture at Ohio National.

Great Place to Work
Manager (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMarch 23, 2018
Ohio National is a great company that cares about their employees. We get great benefits including medical that is effective day 1, covered parking, a fitness center, free medical clinic, cafeteria, paid vacation and holidays, profit sharing and more.

The company also provides all kind of professional development opportunities within the organization and promotes from within.

We have A LOT of activities around the company for everyone including wellness initiatives, community service, learning opportunities, associate resource groups, massage appointments, fitness trail, celebrations, and recognition.

There is a reason why the company has been named a Top Workplace for the past 8 years.
Pros
Work-life balance, flexibility, community service
Cons
Technology is behind
Welcome to HTML 4 and no Cell Phone App
Senior Network Engineer (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHFebruary 19, 2018
ONFS is a fine place to work if you are looking for a job ten years ago. In IT I think it is important to have a good balance between the business and the IT workers, but here that is no the case. The business does whatever it wants, including shadow IT, and the legacy employees do nothing to control the situation. Their fail over setup does not meet the business' unreasonable requirements, but on the same bounds they do not want to pay for the performance.

There is plenty of talent here and there is some good management, but there is also a wall of middle management filled with disingenuous phonies.

Will always be behind as long as mediocrity is rewarded the same is stellar employees.
Pros
Cafeteria and Gym onsite, flex time if you're good at negotiating.
Cons
45 minute lunch, work from home frowned upon, middle and upper management block progress
Official response from Ohio National Financial Services
May 2, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. We work hard to maintain a friendly work environment. Your feedback will be shared as we strive to continuously improve our workplace culture at Ohio National.

Registered rep
Series 7 and Life and Health Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJanuary 10, 2018
I had series 7 but they would not allow sale of options even in a covered situation. It was too hard to keep up with all the securities requirements.
Pros
flexible
Cons
poor training, commision only
great working enviorment
AUDIT SERVICES (INTERN) (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJanuary 9, 2018
They trained me and gave me a great opportunity to gain work experience. They made me feel confident in the work I was hired to do as well as answered any questions I had in regards to my job.
Pros
Great co-workers willing to help eachother
Cons
Had to wait for supporting document from other departments.
Poor Management
Consultant/Manager (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJanuary 6, 2018
The atmosphere here became very tense. Management wanted to further their own careers at the expense of others. Promotions are hard to come by unless you are part of the “in crowd”. Certain departments including the one I worked in based performance on the amount of hours you spent at work not the work you actually did. The best, most enjoyable part of my job was my staff and helping them succeed. The company does have excellent benefits.
Benefits
Processing Team Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJanuary 3, 2018
In all fairness, I can't give an unbiased review of ONFS. The last 9 weeks of 2017 was the roughest of my working career. The most enjoyable was my co-workers. We were a "family".
Benefits
Be careful
Security Analyst (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, OHJanuary 3, 2018
Not a very helpful or productive environment. Backstabbing was the main function of every position. Butt time in a chair was more important than actual work.
Pros
free parking
Cons
work environment
Relaxed, professional environment
Compliance Specialist/Retirement Plans Operations (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHDecember 15, 2017
Ohio National has a great culture and offers room for advancement for its internal associates. My experience with management has been very good. The business casual environment was comfortable, yet professional.
Onfs
Sr. Field Associate Support Team Representative (Former Employee) –  Blue Ash, OHNovember 8, 2017
Great coworkers, but little opportunity to advance. Had little growth because of the chicken or the egg scenario, you don't have the experience to do X well you have never been given the opportunity to do X either.
Pros
Coworkers, benefits
Cons
Lack of growth
Great Culture/Bad Department
Senior Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHOctober 26, 2017
Ohio National as a company was fine. I was part of a new department that never really got off the ground.

The decision makers were not prepared for the challenges that the business would present.

The department was shut down/out-sourced after 3 years.
Professional Atmosphere, Great Environment
Life & Disability Product Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHOctober 16, 2017
The most significant aspect of Ohio National is the dedication to excellent customer experience and rewarding good job performance.

The best part is the interaction with customers and continually learning every day with respect to the insurance industry.

My team is so enjoyable to work with unlike any other experience I have had with other employers.
Pros
Excellent company with growth potential.
Cons
Not applicable
Good place to start a career
Marketing (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHOctober 16, 2017
This was a great place to break into the working world. The company was constantly growing and offering entry level positions. Once those are mastered you're able to move up. They have begun adopting new policies to make workplace more employee friendly. Casual fridays, work from home options etc.
Pros
Good benefits, work from home
Cons
Low salaries
Poor management, lack of true knowledge, unhealthy work environment due to favoritism and immature management.
General Securities and Operations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHSeptember 17, 2017
Poor management, lack of true knowledge, unhealthy work environment due to favoritism and immature management, overall just not a positive work environment on any level and not rewarded monetarily, rewarded with food and or jeans day.
Top Workplace in Cincinnati
Recruiting and Marketing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJuly 4, 2017
Ohio National is a fine place to work. They listen to their employees and value their feedback.

Training is good and they offer the opportunity to obtain industry designations.
Changing times
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJune 5, 2017
ONFS was experiencing change in the market place and legislation during my tenure. There are good people there and they will prevail. A strong CIO would have been very helpful for the IT department.
Pros
Experienced employees and leadership that cares
Cons
resistance and slow to change
Too top heavy
Management (Current Employee) –  Blue Ash, OHMay 30, 2017
The organization has almost doubled in size in the past few years and there are more officer level positions than employees that can actually can do the work.
Pros
Cafe, gym and cover parking.
Cons
Employee and management disconnect.
Good Company
Sr. New Business Issue Associate (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMay 12, 2017
Ohio National is a great company to work for. They offer good pay and benefits. They do fun things throughout the year. Lot of overnight for anyone needing extra income.
Pros
yearly bonus
Cons
Some of the managers not really qualified
Great benefits, but high stress
Senior Accountant (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMarch 14, 2017
Great benefits, and excellent pay.

The culture used to be like family and fun with everyone knowing the seriousness of the business. The culture has changed with the new CEO and now the family is gone with much of the fun. The "fun" is now super structured and predictable.

The stress level is ever-present today, and many associates are afraid to take lunch away from their desks.

The company once groomed employees for advancement, but now much hiring for top jobs is done outside of the company.
Pros
Fitness Center, On-site Nurse, Pay and Benefits
Cons
Stress, Promote from outside company

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ohio National Financial Services. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

3.8Personal Development

4.1Career Opportunities

3.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Ohio National Financial Services Reviews by Job Title