Ohio Public Employees Retirement System Employee Reviews

Good place to start your career
Staff employee (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 26, 2018
OPERS is a great place to start your career. However, it is a relatively small organisation with very limited career advancement opportunities and inconsistent promotion practices. There are many great hard working people there who really care about retirees. However, the culture is not that great, which led to a significant outflow of talent in the recent couple of years.
Pros
Benefits, tuition assistance, free indoor parking, fitness facility.
Cons
Poor project management, unfair promotion practices, disturbing ton on the top.
Extremely poor management
Benefits Administrator (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 21, 2018
Uneducated leaders are to blame for what could be a rewarding place to work. There are numerous managers and supervisors without a degree, so the value of motivation and how to lead people are completely foreign throughout the organization. I'm truly not giving how bad the lack of leadership is there. OPERS has a ton of managers of processes, but honestly only a couple true leaders of people within the organization. Promotions are based on who's most liked and its not really even hidden or done discreetly. HR is a lot to blame for that, but with good leaders it still would not be so prominent. If it wasn't for the pay and benefits it would be one of the worst employers I've ever worked for.
Pros
Benefits and Pay
Cons
Uneducated Leadership
Management mess.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 12, 2017
I spent years at this company trying to fight through the politics and red-tape to do my job. While lip-service was paid to my department, the constant in-fighting and jockeying for position at the Executive level was devastating to company morale and careers. The sheer amount of waste at the highest levels is staggering, and the mass exodus of talent that started when I left is continuing to this day.

Tragically, without intervention by the board, I don't see this company ever improving. Only the independence of their investments area keeps this place afloat.
Ugh, just don't
Senior Application Support Engineer (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 8, 2017
Management is checked out and focused on retirement. Complaints are squashed as quickly as possible without solving root issues. God forbid you exist outside of the office.

The inmates run the asylum. Avoid.
Pros
Covered parking
Cons
everything else
Great Retirement
Healthcare Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 22, 2017
I stayed very busy in the Healthcare Department with calculating survivor benefits for healthcare. Open Enrollment is a very busy time for this area of the retirement system, as this is when any changes other than a "qualifying event" takes places on any of our members healthcare plans.
ok
Processor (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 11, 2017
fast paced work
growing in some areas
typical public employment environment
workplace culture not very diverse
pay and compensation not bad
good employee benefits
Very stressful environment with micro-management
Business Software Tester (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 6, 2016
This organization was very stressful to work in. There was micro-management throughout the organization. Which made it difficult for all other employees because it felt like we were being watched like hawks.
Pros
Great healthcare packages, cafeteria on-site
Cons
Micro-management throughout organization
Productive government agency that many public employees depend on.
Member Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 7, 2015
As a member services representative a typical day was from 8:00 to 4:30 with 2 breaks and 30 minute lunch advising members of the system on the retirement benefits entitled to after qualifying based on their years of service. I learned how to communicate effectively with a wide variety of people regardless of their skills and educational background. That means I had to be adaptable, knowledgeable and patient. Management and co-workers were for the most part supportive and provided feedback in order to foster an environment where success and productivity was valued. The hardest part of the job was addressing the concerns of members when there was uncertainty as to the direction the system was taking in efforts to preserve benefits that so many of them had built their lives and futures around. The most enjoyable part of the job was being successful in overcoming the hardest part of the job.
Pros
Free parking
Cons
No flexibility in schedules
If they work on their leadership they could be a good place to work again.
Benefit Claims Processor (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 9, 2015
There was no consistency in procedures. One day you did something one way and the next another. They did have great benefits and paid time off. Management is in need of an overhaul.
This was a great Department to work for. I truly enjoyed my position.
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Columbus 270 E. Town StreetMarch 19, 2015
I really enjoyed working with the Director of Legal and Legislation. My job gave me a lot of legal experience. I enjoyed drafting the rules for O.A.C and O.R.C. and then putting sending it to approval to the Legislation committee. Once approved I would then change the draft to final form and update the rules for O.A.C. and O.R.C.
Summary
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHDecember 31, 2014
a typical day at work
what you learned
management
your co-workers
the hardest part of the job
the most enjoyable part of the job
Type B technology company with opportunity to learn
Application Development Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 6, 2014
Overall, typical work day is balance of production issues and project work. Daily challenge to understand project priorities since not all teams have conflicting priorities. Technology platforms reflective of a larger organization so it was a challenge to integrate systems and understand the technological environment. Culture did not value management which presented it own challenges.
Pros
Benefits, Secure, Work Life Balance
Cons
Limited Advancement, Job Culture
Service-related company regarding retirement benefits for those publicly employed for the state of Ohio.
Member Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 14, 2014
OPERS introduced me to a whole new world that included retirement benefits. And with those benefits being for State employees, I learned about the Ohio Administrative Codes and Laws that govern those benefits. Answering phone calls within the Member Services Department was from start to end each day. I enjoyed it, once I learned and became more familiar with the benefits, as I feel I assisted members/callers with every phone call that I answered.
Pros
Free Parking
Cons
Logging in and out of the phones, short breaks and few minutes for personal time to be off of the phones each and every work day.
Member Services
Member Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 13, 2014
A typical day would include assisting members over the phone with issues ranging from initial contributions to legacy benefit payments. Health Care, Disability, general tax liability issues for retirees and inactive members, along with Survivor benefits issues were most of my daily interactions. In the position, I developed a general knowledge of Medicare and other healthcare information.
Pros
Great Culture for employees to learn
Cons
Limited growth
Good people, however the environment is currently unstable due to the current pension climate and the reorganization efforts.
Benefits Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHDecember 12, 2013
Analyze daily staffing levels, generate call off reports. Conduct morning huddles to discuss the days activities and address priorities. Monitor calls using Callcopy monitoring software and provide feedback. Coordinate with IT to quickly develop solutions to system issues and/or concerns. Meet with front line staff to review performance and provide feedback to maintain a motivated staff. Public employment is rewarding because is gives you the feeling of giving back, however the politics and reactive approaches to crisis is quite frustrating. Developing staff is what I enjoyed most.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Political and reactive approach to doing business.
Hard work, low compensation
Member Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 24, 2012
Being an MSR was hard and mentally exhausting. If you want to advance you always have to be on your game in the chance your call was being recorded and listened to by a manager. The perks and benefits were great but the salary was low in comparison to what was expected.
Pros
nice cafeteria, free covered parking garage, great healthcare
Cons
always on the phone, bathroom breaks are even timed

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ohio Public Employees Retirement System. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about