Ohio State University Employee Reviews

Very low pay
Senior Inpatient Coder (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 21, 2019
I am a seasoned inpatient coder and the HIM dept pays their inpatient and outpatient coders the same pay scale!!
WAY TOO LOW.

My manager was amazing, she was trying to get our pay scale corrected. She was very nice.
Pros
Flexible time
Cons
Low Pay
Go Bucks
OSHA Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 20, 2019
Its nice working for the buckeyes. Being a part of one of the premier educational institutions in the country was an honor. The faculty sometimes are elitist and act as if they are too far above the staff which can get really old
Great place to work!
Staff RN (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OH 43210March 19, 2019
The Ohio State University is a diverse cultural experience. They are always doing research to keep up with the future medical needs and cures. The most advanced medical care and equipment in the field.
Benefits
Cons
Mandation
Great institution to work for.
HR Administrative Associate (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 18, 2019
Working at The Ohio State University is a privilege. It is an amazing institution with endless opportunities and rewards. The ability to grow as a professional and individual is priceless.
Pros
Benefits, upper mobility, education.
Cons
Culture in some departments.
Politics are invasive
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 18, 2019
Working for a university means politics enters the decision-making process of the police department management. And they try to be all things to all people and are consequently not good at much of what they take on.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Poor Leadership
Great temp job
Custodian/Janitor (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 17, 2019
I had a great work experience with this job. There pay wasn’t enough also the only hour I could work was third shift. Other than that I completed my task everyday with no problems.
Pros
Time consuming
Cons
No enough hours
Good place
Human Resource Associate/Payroll Specialist (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 13, 2019
Culture seemed to change depending on who what in charge
Great people and resources to work with on a daily basis
management left to your own devices.
Great Place to Work if you want to create your own career
Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 11, 2019
The Ohio State University is an amazing place to work. However, career progression is a personal endeavor. Do not expect corporate culture in career development.
Pros
Great People
Cons
No training at the higher levels. Career path is tough for younger employees.
Fun
Lab Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 7, 2019
Great place fun atmosphere with students. Very flexible with scheduling and understanding when you have exams. Great managers and fun learning environment.
loved my Job
Sr. Network/Wireless/Security Engineer (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 7, 2019
Collaboration. “I love my job because everyone shares the same vision and is dedicated to the mission. ...
Work-Life Balance. “I love that I have a great degree of control and freedom within my job. ...
Autonomy. “I like the autonomy I have because my bosses allow me to innovate. ...
Variety. ...
Culture. ...
Challenge. ...
Helping Others.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
the drive to Columbus

Want to know more about Ohio State University?

Ask a question
Opportunities and culture vary
Graduate Recruiting & Admissions (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 6, 2019
I attended Ohio State for my gradaute education and after working in corporate, decided to work at Ohio State because I enjoyed my experience as a student. As a large University with multiple colleges and organizational units, each with their own leadership, there is a significant variance in productivity, leadership, and opportunity. If you are interested in applying here, it will be important to request specific details on what advancement opportunties exist and how your performance is measured (because it is not consistent!)

Working at Ohio State may be beneficial for someone looking to take advantage of staff/faculty/dependent tuition reimbursement because it is one of the few places that does not require you to "pay it back" after education has been completed.

Working here for almost 6 years, I have come to realize that there are perks that exist within the private sector that don't easily transfer to the public sector because the focus is often on research or faculty-- not staff. Mainly, staff have issues with culture, high workload, a lack of accountability, and a lack of advancement opportunties. It takes a longtime to backfill a role when there is turnover, so many individuals end up feeling overworked and leave themselves. Salaries do not meet private sector market averages, and many employees end up needing to "go to grow." Those who are most productive leave within 10 years, while those who are least productive will stay until they retire.
Pros
Staff/faculty/dependent tuition reimbursement
Cons
Low salaries; lack of advancement opportunities; lack of accountability
Call center
Alumni relations and sales (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 3, 2019
Student job cold calling for donations for various departments and initiatives. Great work environment and great opportunity. Developmental opportunity for anyone seeking employment with the company.
Student Employee
Paid Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 27, 2019
I enjoyed working as a student employee because of the flexibility of schedule and the positive social interactions I had with my coworkers. I would recommend working for OSU if you are a student!
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Compenssation
There are better security jobs out there
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 24, 2019
Odd co-workers: competitive and back-stabbing, always tattling and conspiring to get people in trouble or fired- all so they can scoop-up your hours and get some overtime.

Dead-end, boring, repetitive work. Managers are strange: clueless; territorial; judgmental; immature. It's not team work: it's favoritism; cliques; back-stabbing. Facilities are old and run-down. Lazy, resentful student co-workers who show-up late and call off when they feel like it- and management looks the other way.
Pros
It's a job
Cons
Expensive parking; low pay; depressing environment; pseudo-law enforcement uniforms
Upbeat and energetic workplace!
Buckeye Assistant (Current Employee) –  Newark, OHFebruary 21, 2019
My bosses are super understanding with my school work, always making sure I’m putting my education first. This really shows they truly care about my future and my dreams- as well as supporting my mental and emotional growth as well. Never pushing me too far to where I️ can’t handle it, much love to my OSU staff!
Strength and Conditioning Administrative Intern (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 19, 2019
Amazing opportunity to work with all of the Ohio State University's athletic programs, and build long-lasting relationships and bonds with the athletes.
Good
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 14, 2019
Good to work there because there are lots of opportunities good because you learn a lot of things and good benefits you will have because is good place to work very friendly people...
Great place
Lab Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wooster, OHFebruary 12, 2019
It was a nice environment, coworkers are nice and help you out when needed. The benefits are minimum, the facility has a break room to rest when needed.
Productive and fulfilling work place
Certified Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, OHFebruary 11, 2019
I loved working at OSU. Assisting with patient care was very rewarding. Working along side the physicians and learning new things and being able to assist in caring for people who needed and wanted help was very fulfilling.
Pros
Eligibility for employee discounts tickets to OSU spirting events
Loved it
Lab Tech Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 11, 2019
Wish could of had a full time job there, the work environment is awesome. The management is really personable and the work was really easy. Just do your work and you'll love it to.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ohio State University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2

Ratings from women

3.2InHerSight Score

3.2Personal Development

3.1Career Opportunities

3.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight