Ohio State University Employee Reviews

Multicultural workplace, good benefits
RESEARCH ASSOCIATE 1/LABORATORY MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Wooster, OHOctober 7, 2018
Rich multicultural and learning experience. The University promotes health activities. Good health, vision, dental, retirement benefits, discount programs as benefits. Flexible hours.
Pros
Health, vision, dental, retirement benefits
Graduate Assistant
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 4, 2018
I am a research assistant in the Geography department. Great job to learn time management and it is a stepping stone between undergraduate and a career.
An amazing company to work for and great place to start your career.
BUCK-I-SERV INTERN & STUDENT LEADERSHIP PROGRAMS (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 4, 2018
The Ohio State University has many opportunities for many different careers, you could start and end your career there. There are chances to move up within the company and participate in programs and activities that you may have a passion about.
Productive, fun, and tight knit coworkers
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wooster, OHOctober 3, 2018
I love working here and have had so many opertunities. I have learned so much from the research and I want to make research my career because of the experiences I’ve received.
Relaxed and productive work environment
DIVISION ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 3, 2018
Lots of opportunities for staff development, but managing varies department to department. Relaxed atmosphere (in my department) and I enjoy working with the students.
I feel I was grossly underpaid,
Store Clerk Shipping & Receiving Associate (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OH 43210October 1, 2018
There is no opportunity for advancement. The pay is extremely low and there raises are only two percent. I would not recommend this job because it is hard to survive with this small amount of pay.
Pros
I enjoyed the meals
Cons
For the amount of work you get very low pay
A hardworking university
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 1, 2018
OSU strives to be at the top as far as education, research, etc. I always felt like a part of the team, not only in the office, but of the larger collective university as well.
no review
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Youngstown, OHSeptember 28, 2018
great place to work and grow in your field. Great city, great atmosphere, large amount of research being done and lots of wonderful people to collaborate with
Good place
ISD evaluator for e-learning courses (Former Employee) –  Wexner Medical CenterSeptember 28, 2018
Can be a good place to work. There are perks in the environment and people are knowledgeable and fun. Parking is a pain but that's inherent in any organization so large.
Good working atmosphere
Asst. V.P. Business Advancement (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 26, 2018
Great place to work. Limited Advancement opportunities

Very diverse and large

University is looking into outsourcing my position

Conducting Business in an academic atmosphere is sometimes a challenge
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Things get done slowly
Some of the instructors are great!
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 25, 2018
Some of the instructors care not only about providing a high-quality education to their students but also about their well-being. There are top-notch professors at this university!
Student Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 24, 2018
I worked here as a student food service worker. They worked great with my class schedule and offered flexible shifts. It was a fun atmosphere to work at.
Low paying
OFFICE ASSOCIATE-Facility Management & Logistics (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 23, 2018
This position was not extremely demanding, but did require attention to detail to make sure that vendors were paid. Doing payroll required a lot of follow-up with the associates who consistently did not correctly document their overtime. The compensation was not enough to live on without another job or outside assistance.
Published Lesson Planner
Published Lesson Planner (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 18, 2018
-Wasn't really a career, just a one time opportunity so I can't say what it is like to work there.
-Good opportunity as a learning teacher to show my skills to future employers.
Excellent pay and benefits; Difficult work environment and ineffective leadership
HR Generalist (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 18, 2018
Excellent pay and benefits; workplace culture is difficult; leadership is not consistent and ineffective in decision making and change management. It depends upon where you work. My experience was not inclusive of others, people operated in cliques. There was no opportunity for advancement and no opportunity to learn unless you took advantage of tuition reimbursement and took an academic class. No resources to do your job. If you needed something, you purchased it out of your own pocket.
Pros
Pay and beneftis
Cons
Leadership is very poor. Cut throat culture. Everyone is out for themselves.
Great research university, not enough financial incentive.
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 17, 2018
You cannot live on a graduate student stipend from Ohio State University. While it was more generous that many other graduate student stipends I was offered going into my PhD, if you want to use adjuncts and graduate students like regular faculty, then their pay should reflect that. Less of a problem with OSU specifically, more of a problem with higher education as a whole and stagnant stipends that don't reflect changes in the cost of living from decades long passed.
Research Scientist
Research Scientist, Houston Lead Investigator (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 17, 2018
Our work to serve the community is also our calling. The participants of our program improved their health outcomes and thus we prevented disease like diabetes.
We worked in an environment supported by the City of Houston, Department of Health. Our program was an R01 federally funded study to improve beta cell function, microbiome, evaluate medical and behavioral aspects that lead to the prevention of diabetes.
We loved going to work every day. Our team works with other investigators at UC Davis, UCLA and Cedar Sinai along with a number of faculty and staff from OSU.
We were blessed to be a team for over 10 years. However, federal funding is difficult to come by. It was an honor and a pleasure to have served.
Pros
The wonderful participants and community, We are contributing to science and making a difference to prevent disease.
Cons
Federal funding is a challenge.
Not good choice for prefessionals
Graduate Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 14, 2018
Just got a degree. the culture is bad, the univ only wants to collect money from their staff and students. worst parking policy in the US. the department is also awful
Post-doc, fatty acid synthesis, eicosanoid metabolism.
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 9, 2018
Synthesized 20 carbon polyunsaturated fatty acids with unusual double bond positions., including 20:3 (5,8,14).. Studied eicosanoid formation in platelets.
Beneficial Employment for Working Students
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 7, 2018
Typical work week consisted of roughly 10-20 hours of maintaining/teaching courses and grading materials for 50-100 students. Handling this material offered a lot of training in time management, and teaching experience, which was greatly appreciated. Most of the management was very thoughtful, and always willing to assist if needed.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ohio State University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

3.1Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

3.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight