Ohio State University Employee Reviews

Excellent pay and benefits; Difficult work environment and ineffective leadership
HR Generalist (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 18, 2018
Excellent pay and benefits; workplace culture is difficult; leadership is not consistent and ineffective in decision making and change management. It depends upon where you work. My experience was not inclusive of others, people operated in cliques. There was no opportunity for advancement and no opportunity to learn unless you took advantage of tuition reimbursement and took an academic class. No resources to do your job. If you needed something, you purchased it out of your own pocket.
Pros
Pay and beneftis
Cons
Leadership is very poor. Cut throat culture. Everyone is out for themselves.
Excellent work/life balance
Senior Accountant (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 20, 2018
Ohio State is an excellent organization, rated the number one place to work on Columbus for several years in a row. Work life balance, great benefits and excellent workplace culture all contribute to excellence at OSU. On numerous occasions I have witnessed management being understanding about familial duties and being flexible with work schedules.
Pros
Culture, work/life balance, career building
Cons
Lower compensation usually
Would stay if I could!
Change Analyst (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 28, 2018
There are a lot of areas where people are working to improve their consistency but the culture is overall quite good and the benefits are amazing. The pay is lower than industry average, but the benefits costs are far less than the industry standard. There are also benefits not included in the traditional package - lots of opportunity to learn, network, a true focus on work/life balance.
good place to gain experience and move on
Research Analyst (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 2, 2018
OSU is a great place if you are out of college looking for professional experience. You will definitely learn a lot in your time there. You are provided with professional development opportunities early on. For instance, I was sent to a conference within 2 months of working there which is rare comparing to other organizations. Benefits were rather mediocre for me but if you want to get a degree or sign up for classes, OSU will pay for up to 9 credits per semester which is pretty awesome. However, you might need to wait for a year if you are out of state. The biggest bummer is the fact that you cannot be promoted without a PhD (Master is required to get this position). Low pay with lack of opportunities for promotion and 0.8% pay increases per performance appraisal make it very discouraging to get motivated to stay. Most colleagues in my office get experience and move on.
Pros
opportunities for professional development
Cons
low pay, no advancement opportunities, entry level only
Great benefits but limited opportunity
Planning Analyst (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 26, 2018
The university (not the hospital) has many offices run by folks in the good ole boys club. Definitely who you know determines your opportunities. Few managers have management training so the place operates inefficiently and priorities are often based on the squeaky wheel. Policies are applied by unit, so you can work from home in one area and not in another for the same job. If you don't have "phd" behind your name you automatically have less influence, even if your job is not academic, like IT. No career paths; you are hired for a job and you'll retire in it without some concerted effort on your part.

On the flip side, good work/life balance, especially if you have youngsters. Overtime is rare, depending on how tied your job is to the academic cycle.
Pros
Awesome benefits, good work/life balance
Cons
WAY lower than average pay, few advancement opportunities, below-average managers
A positive, diverse and productive place to work.
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 28, 2018
I see 10-14 appointments a day. I review biometric measurements and potential health risks with clients. I provide health education and connect clients with supportive resources and refer for follow up as indicated. My supervisor allows me a fair amount of autonomy and provides positive feedback, both are appreciated and contribute to personal job satisfaction.
The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new people and learning something unique about their lives. The hardest part of the job is that it there is limited opportunity for advancement in this particular role.
OSU is a well known institution and it has an overall positive effect on the community. It represents tradition, quality and has a long history. As a staff member here, I feel as though I am a part of a team and have a duty to uphold the mission and values of OSU in my daily work.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Work loads can be excessive
This job met my requirements of staying very active
Supervisor at Ohio Stadium, Crew Lead (Former Employee) –  Ohio Stadium, Columbus, OhioJuly 1, 2018
I worked multiple positions while working around my career positions full time (Ushering, Supervision, Security, Guest Services, Crowd Control, Visitor Information and direction, Traffic Control, Construction Security. I accomplished this after hours from my main employment, and during weekends. Time management, experieces budgeting, and project management in addition to effective management and supervision of my staffs accommodated the amount of hour I worked, the projects I management, and the people I lead.
Pros
What a person is part of and sees and does durijg his services.
OSU Not For Everyone
Manager (Former Employee) –  College of DentistrySeptember 4, 2018
Perhaps other colleges on campus are different? The College of Dentistry was not a happy place. The software they used was hideous. Hard to believe they actually paid for that. The management at the highest level was inept. Pay was poor for what was expected. Best part about the job was the vacation time earned and the healthcare benefit cost was cheap.
Pros
Best health insurance benefits
Cons
Paying for parking, civil service worker mentality, poor management
lack of funding in the arts
Senior Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 27, 2018
This institution has historically not supported or funded the arts. Lack of funding support meant regularly being expected to do ever increasingly more with little in the way of proper financial compensation (faculty salaries) and basic department budget needs.
Pros
time off during summers
Cons
lack of support/funding from upper level management
Great place to work if you are starting out in the field
Dental Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 30, 2018
The lead assistant is great, but the head of department and higher ups did not care for their workers. The pay is not that great but they claim the benefits make up for it. Entry level wages are not reasonable for means of living. Easy job if you know what you are doing. Most enjoyable part is assisting. If you have been doing dental assisting for a long time go in and demand a reasonable amount for your experience otherwise they will go off a pay scale which is determined by experience and their own pay scale. You will notice the management is horrible. Almost wonder how the place is ran. But if you are in it for the benefits and the job this place is for you.
Pros
One hour lunch
Cons
Management sucks
Great Benefits
Customer Service/Patient transport (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 30, 2018
OSU has excellent benefits, however in the entry level positions it is hard to advance to other positions. Does not seem like management is supportive at times. Also, other staff treats entry level positions differently.
Good working atmosphere
Asst. V.P. Business Advancement (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHSeptember 26, 2018
Great place to work. Limited Advancement opportunities

Very diverse and large

University is looking into outsourcing my position

Conducting Business in an academic atmosphere is sometimes a challenge
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Things get done slowly
Beware
Human Resources Generalist (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 24, 2018
Bureaucracy. No growth opportunities. Good pay and benefits but if you are a high performer, this workplace is not for you. Mediocracy at its best. Everyone is out for themselves and it’s a rather cut throat environment. There are pockets of excellence within the different colleges, but overall, Ohio State is the worse employer I have ever had. The culture is horrible and leaders just turn their head when it comes to accountability and decision making. Leaders pass the buck and point fingers.
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
Everything else you could imagine
I feel I was grossly underpaid,
Store Clerk Shipping & Receiving Associate (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OH 43210October 1, 2018
There is no opportunity for advancement. The pay is extremely low and there raises are only two percent. I would not recommend this job because it is hard to survive with this small amount of pay.
Pros
I enjoyed the meals
Cons
For the amount of work you get very low pay
Good
Vehicle Operator (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 5, 2018
Easy money. You will have to drive the majority of the time, but for a significant portion you are just sitting at the garage, doing whatever you want to while on the clock. Management is great and super accommodating, especially if you do your job well. The culture is ok. A wide range of ages and backgrounds, but not really a family-friendly environment a lot of the time. The hardest part is having to do a route you don't like (you don't have a choice sometimes). The best part is being able to work as few or as many hours as you want (with overtime pay).
Pros
Easy, good money, good management
Cons
Sometimes have to do routes you don't like
Over all Happy with OSU
Standardized Patient (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 20, 2018
I wish they would hire more internally for furthering my career. Work hours flexible. Management works well with employees. Help me feel prepared for my work day.
Excellent Place to work
Water Compliance Engineer and Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 9, 2018
I enjoy working at Ohio State and hope to continue working here. Ohio State has many opportunities for advancement, however, the university is extremely competitive.

I am only seeking part time work to help overcome personal financial struggles.
Pros
Flexible hours when required
Cons
Few limitations
Great experience
Postdoctoral researcher (Current Employee) –  Wooster, OHApril 11, 2018
Great management, a lot of collaboration opportunities, people are very friendy and luckyly the science is very good. Good benefits too. The hardest part is that science is competitive so you have to keep up. The most enjoyable part of my job is that I have a certain freedom on doing the experiments I want and no imposed work time.
Pros
independance
Cons
wooster isn't the best place to be
Graduate Assistant
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 4, 2018
I am a research assistant in the Geography department. Great job to learn time management and it is a stepping stone between undergraduate and a career.
Lots of opportunities
Patient Care Associate (PCA) (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 19, 2018
There are lots of opportunities to change positions or move up to better positions. If you work full time they pay for schooling. Pay is average. I maxed out on the pay scale years ago so I dont receive raises even though cost of living is higher
Pros
Free schooling
Cons
Parking

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ohio State University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2

Ratings from women

3.2InHerSight Score

3.1Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

3.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight