Ohio University Employee Reviews

The job depends on your direct supervisor and director.
Culinary Manager (Former Employee) –  Athens, OHOctober 18, 2018
Over worked and under paid. Not a lot room for advancement. Micromanaged. It really depends on who your direct supervisor is. There’s a lot of employee rotation.
Here are a couple positive aspects about working at OU: One is the paid time off you accrue, another is you can use all your vacation time off at once, free meals.
Ta /ga
Teaching/Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Athens, OHOctober 8, 2018
Working as a Teaching Assistant / Graduate Assistant is a great opportunity for anyone who wants to continue in higher education. Problem solving is a must.
Awesome
Student Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Athens, OHOctober 3, 2018
Great place to work. Beautiful area to live in. Great boss and company structure. Lots of freedom and things to learn. Great community and culture. Very good.
Pros
Beautiful campus
Cons
good place to gain experience
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Athens, OHOctober 3, 2018
Living in Athens gives you a chance to focus on your career and improving your professional skills. It is a great platform for future success in your academic career.
Student centered
Residential Programs Recruiting Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Athens, OHSeptember 24, 2018
As a student employee, OU is very accommodating. Management understands the time needed for classes is more important than anything else. The work is clear in terms of what needs to be done despite the size of the university, is very structured.
Pros
Clear direction
Part time campus job
Attendant (Current Employee) –  Athens, OHSeptember 23, 2018
This job was only on game days. So i would work about once every two weeks for 9 hours or so. It was typically Saturday mornings or Thursday nights. It was cold, hot, and in-between but overall it was a good job.
Synergistic and collegial environment.
Human Resource Liaison (Current Employee) –  Athens, OHSeptember 18, 2018
A typical day at Ohio University is spent in collaboration. The most enjoyable part of the job is interaction with students and coworkers. Personal and professional growth is attainable and desirable by Ohio University.
Pros
Tuition waiver.
Cons
Few dual career opportunities for spouse.
Overall, ok
Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Athens, OHSeptember 15, 2018
The University runs the town. Very close knit community that loves the University and all that it brings to the town. But if you don't work for or attend the school, you will not feel like you belong.
Productive and learning work environment
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Athens, OHSeptember 10, 2018
The work culture at Ohio University is supportive of students in learning new skills and be prepared for the career ahead. Working as a Graduate Research Assistant made me more confident career wise and enjoy the diverse work environment.
Supportive Supervisors
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Athens, OHSeptember 4, 2018
I enjoyed my time while I worked there because I had a staff that I could rely on for professional experience and personal advice. It was a fun work environment to be in.
I find my work very fulfilling
Lecturer, Educational Studies Department (Current Employee) –  OhioSeptember 4, 2018
I have worked for Ohio since 2012. Working with the students has been great. My chances for advancement have been very low. I find teaching to be very fulfilling.
Conducive environment
Graduate/Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Athens, OHAugust 31, 2018
I had the opportunity to serve as a research assistant to gather data from the library for my program director while serving as an instructor for Akan language at the same time. I also had the opportunity to conduct interviews as part of a qualitative research method I was employing for a research methodology course
Volunteer
Teaching Assistant (Communication Studies) (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, OHAugust 30, 2018
Volunteered as a Teaching Assistant while obtaining my Master's Degree. Really enjoyed the time learning from professors and students on the Lancaster Campus.
Pros
All Pro
Cons
Excellent environment for developing general professional skills
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Athens, OHAugust 28, 2018
At times, it was difficult to find alone time or set aside the job to focus on other things - school, social events, networking opportunities, etc. Still, you have the opportunity to perform many different roles as a student staff member and can grow in no small way by taking advantage of those opportunities.
Review
Administrative Services Assistant (full-time) (Current Employee) –  Ironton, OHAugust 20, 2018
OUS can be a good place to work. Lately, I have seen people being treated unfairly and poor leadership. It is a better place for faculty members than for staff.
Perfect for a student, set schedule each week
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Athens, OHAugust 15, 2018
As a college student it is necessary to have a job. It is hard to find a place that is willing to work around your class schedule though. Ohio University Culinary Services does work with your class schedule and allows you to be flexible. They also only require that you work every other weekend shifts which is a plus.
Pros
Walkable from anywhere on campus
Cons
Have to wear a hat
Ohio University
TEACHING ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee) –  Athens, OHAugust 15, 2018
I have two degrees from O.U.

Of course I love this place.

It was just time for me to move on. Maxed out my pay grade.

I have concerns for facilities and safety.
Pros
Great people.
Cons
Facilities were antiquated, safety was compromised.
Great place to work and learn.
Theory GA and Jazz GA (Former Employee) –  Athens, OHAugust 13, 2018
Ohio University and the faculty that teach there are a fun, engaging, and challenging group that helped me grow as a professional. I would highly recommend working there.
Head Stage Manager and ATC (Former Employee) –  Athens, OHAugust 7, 2018
Event Services is one of the best departments on that campus and one of the best student-staffed outfits in the country. They have a great culture in a great town, and if you have a chance to work for them, you should.
Relaxed, collaborative place to work
Device Support Technician (Current Employee) –  Athens, OHAugust 6, 2018
Clear, manageable work requirements, good supervisors, mature coworkers, and drama free atmosphere makes for a very positive work experience. However, it does seem like a difficult place to grow from temporary positions.