Ohio University Employee Reviews

meh
Student Leader (Current Employee) –  Athens, OHNovember 24, 2018
I enjoyed working with my coworkers and subordinate students. The management could be a pain in the butt, but in general it is what it is. A student job, not a career
Overall a decent place to work.
Building Maintenance Technician/Liaison (Former Employee) –  Athens, OHNovember 19, 2018
I have had many jobs while employed at the university. I have worked for some really great people and some who should not have been in supervisory positions at all. While I am strongly opinionated, I maintained a professional demeanor and only shared my personal views or feelings on a rare or limited occasion and felt generally respected from both management and staff. I have seen many changes over the years that I worked there and generally there was the sense that we were all there working to make the place a quality place, where people would leave with a good overall experience.
Diversity and Inclusion
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Athens, OHNovember 4, 2018
Very open minded community. Supportive work culture. Driven by the mission. Open and striving to maintain excellence. Promotes diversity and inclusion.
Ohio University Culinary Services
Student Employee (Former Employee) –  Athens, OHOctober 25, 2018
They provide opportunities for many students. Whether you're looking for just a few hours a week or a full schedule along with your class schedule. If you apply yourself and provide great customer service it's easy to move up into student management roles.
A Thriving University
Student (Former Employee) –  Athens, OHOctober 20, 2018
N/A; never worked at the university. I was a graduate student working on my doctoral degree only. I enjoyed the program and the professors were amazing. They worked hard to support their students.
Pros
Great staff and opportunity for growth
Student Veterans Representative
Student Veteran Representative (Former Employee) –  Zanesville, OHOctober 19, 2018
This position is contracted through the VA, it is not payed through the college. Shifting rolls, Time management, and Customer service is a must have.
Pros
Everyday is different.
Cons
Some days are slow.
Typical Higher Education Setting
Administration (Current Employee) –  Athens, OHOctober 18, 2018
The salary is low as are most starting salaries in higher education. Great school and beautiful town. Lots of activities and events on campus throughout the year.
The job depends on your direct supervisor and director.
Culinary Manager (Former Employee) –  Athens, OHOctober 18, 2018
Over worked and under paid. Not a lot room for advancement. Micromanaged. It really depends on who your direct supervisor is. There’s a lot of employee rotation.
Here are a couple positive aspects about working at OU: One is the paid time off you accrue, another is you can use all your vacation time off at once, free meals.
Ta /ga
Teaching/Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Athens, OHOctober 8, 2018
Working as a Teaching Assistant / Graduate Assistant is a great opportunity for anyone who wants to continue in higher education. Problem solving is a must.
Awesome
Student Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Athens, OHOctober 3, 2018
Great place to work. Beautiful area to live in. Great boss and company structure. Lots of freedom and things to learn. Great community and culture. Very good.
Pros
Beautiful campus
Cons
good place to gain experience
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Athens, OHOctober 3, 2018
Living in Athens gives you a chance to focus on your career and improving your professional skills. It is a great platform for future success in your academic career.
Student centered
Residential Programs Recruiting Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Athens, OHSeptember 24, 2018
As a student employee, OU is very accommodating. Management understands the time needed for classes is more important than anything else. The work is clear in terms of what needs to be done despite the size of the university, is very structured.
Pros
Clear direction
Part time campus job
Attendant (Current Employee) –  Athens, OHSeptember 23, 2018
This job was only on game days. So i would work about once every two weeks for 9 hours or so. It was typically Saturday mornings or Thursday nights. It was cold, hot, and in-between but overall it was a good job.
Synergistic and collegial environment.
Human Resource Liaison (Current Employee) –  Athens, OHSeptember 18, 2018
A typical day at Ohio University is spent in collaboration. The most enjoyable part of the job is interaction with students and coworkers. Personal and professional growth is attainable and desirable by Ohio University.
Pros
Tuition waiver.
Cons
Few dual career opportunities for spouse.
Overall, ok
Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Athens, OHSeptember 15, 2018
The University runs the town. Very close knit community that loves the University and all that it brings to the town. But if you don't work for or attend the school, you will not feel like you belong.
Productive and learning work environment
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Athens, OHSeptember 10, 2018
The work culture at Ohio University is supportive of students in learning new skills and be prepared for the career ahead. Working as a Graduate Research Assistant made me more confident career wise and enjoy the diverse work environment.
Supportive Supervisors
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Athens, OHSeptember 4, 2018
I enjoyed my time while I worked there because I had a staff that I could rely on for professional experience and personal advice. It was a fun work environment to be in.
I find my work very fulfilling
Lecturer, Educational Studies Department (Current Employee) –  OhioSeptember 4, 2018
I have worked for Ohio since 2012. Working with the students has been great. My chances for advancement have been very low. I find teaching to be very fulfilling.
Conducive environment
Graduate/Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Athens, OHAugust 31, 2018
I had the opportunity to serve as a research assistant to gather data from the library for my program director while serving as an instructor for Akan language at the same time. I also had the opportunity to conduct interviews as part of a qualitative research method I was employing for a research methodology course
Volunteer
Teaching Assistant (Communication Studies) (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, OHAugust 30, 2018
Volunteered as a Teaching Assistant while obtaining my Master's Degree. Really enjoyed the time learning from professors and students on the Lancaster Campus.
Pros
All Pro