OhioGuidestone Employee Reviews

Worst job I ever had
Residential Treatment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Berea, OHOctober 14, 2019
management doesn't care about you what so ever. managers are rude, unprofessional. they are so understaffed that you are put into dangerous situations with clients. do not make the same mistake I did by working here. management is HORRIBLE
Not the best job
Community mental health worker/Case worker (Former Employee) –  Lorain, OHSeptember 24, 2019
You clock for 40 hours and work way more then 40 with no over time. Pay is is not good at all. Management doesn’t give a a single care about no one, will listen to you vent and still tell u everything u doing wrong
Pros
Cons
The whole place
I would not recommend at all!
Billing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Berea, OHSeptember 14, 2019
Stay clear away! If you are under 10 this maybe the job for you! If you like to be disrespected this the job for you! Moral there poor! People scared to speak up! Too much Favoritism! Micromanaged for sure! A revolving door! They cannot keep staff! Supervisor don’t know anything so how can she teach her staff! Pay is horrible and you doing 2 people’s job!
Great people collaborating to help others
Therapist/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Lorain, OHSeptember 7, 2019
Never a dull moment in this job. I most enjoy collaborative conceptualization and problem-solving with Clinicians to improve therapeutic outcomes for people/families. I least enjoy finding ways to manage competing clinical, supervisory, and administrative demands. Management is interested in improving employee retention and researching ways OGS might improve to enable workers to commit to continuing this difficult, yet satisfying and important work with OGS.
Not what I expected
Community Mental Health Worker (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHAugust 6, 2019
Love working with the little kids and families but what they don’t tell you is that you will be working over time with out pay. Everything is about numbers and billing and productivity. Productivity percent is way to meet (51%) they want to meet with up to at least four clients a day but that doesn’t always happen due them no showing or something comes up. Your told you get two weeks vacaafter 6 months but really it’s a week you get and the other week comes after a year I your expected to take on multiple roles with families and sometimes you don’t get home till 8 or 9 at night then you told to flex your schedule so don’t work to much in one day but when you do you get yelled at for productivity or not making it that day you tookn off since you worked to much the day before . Pay isn’t great for what you do there and the fam
High stress, low pay, and no staff support
In Home Counselor (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHAugust 6, 2019
As the associate director of community based services once told me, "Productivity is God." Management has pressured staff into randomly dropping in on clients if their scheduled clients cancel, they push you to drag phone calls out for 8 minutes or more in order to bill for it, they withhold all time off if productivity isn't where they want it, and snow days, holidays, sick days, and vacation are all still required to have productivity requirements met- this means having to work OVER productivity to cover for days you aren't there.

Little time off, poor pay, lack of support from leadership, constant pressure from management, and that's all before addressing the stresses that come from working with mentally ill populations.
Horrible
Case Manager/Treatment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Canton, OHJuly 24, 2019
OGS is a mental health agency that does not care about their own staff’s mental health. Days are always long. Benefits aren’t great. Pay is horrible. Opportunity for bonus, but you give up your flexible schedule and self-care requirements to hit it. Management is okay depending on your position and location. Do not work in residential.
Do Not.
School Based Therapist (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHJuly 17, 2019
1) When you apply for employment they do not mandate you go to a Benefits Training. When you are in the first week they inform you that their Medical Mutual package covers everything. What they do not tell you is that you have a high deductible. You are responsible to pay out of pocket for 3,000 $ and in 2019-2020 it may go up to 4,000. You are automatically enrolled even if you are a single with no dependents.
2) They say they will give you two week vacations after your probationary period. That is a lie. You get one week the first year. The second year you get two. The kicker is that if you do not meet the minimum for productivity they will not let you take a vacation. You have to fight for any pre payed vacations. There is nothing in the handbook stating they can withhold your time but management can do whatever they want if you are not part of their click.
3) Productivity, Productivity, Productivity- The name of the game. 52 % is a must and every program requires this at all time. If you are sick and get a note; they do not care. If you have a family member who passes and you provide a note; they do not care. It is all about over-billing and being sneaking on paper. If you are not willing to risk your license or go to jail this is not a job for you. They say you need 4 hrs a day and that is a lie. It is less about clinical care and more about time spent.
4) If they do not see you working there in the future, you are out of luck. It is clicky. They do not care if you are experienced, skilled, or great with the clients. If you have a undergraduate degree that is not
  more... enough for them.
5) THEY WILL NOT PAY YOU FOR OVERTIME, EVER. They say Monday-Friday with no weekends. I was working 6 days a week (so were others) and they do not pay you unless you meet the 52%. If you want a stable schedule- do not work here.
6) You will not make much money. Yes, I know all non-profits are chintzy. However, when you have experience and license you should get more money. 4 year degree and a license should get you 16-20 and a graduate degree should get you 18-20+, just saying. People have to beg for more money. They claim because you can make bonus that this is doable. The people who are making bonus 90% of the time lying on paper.
7) YOU WILL GO IN THE COMMUNITY. IF YOU ARE SCHOOL BASED YOU WILL NOT GET TO DESIDE EAST SIDE OR WEST. THEY SAY THAT IN THE INTERVIEW IT IS A LIE. YOU WILL HAVE MORE THAN 2 SCHOOLS. YOU WILL SPEND MORE THAN 50 % DRIVING, EVEN AS A THERAPIST. SCHOOL IS 6.5 HRS A DAY. FIGURE OUT THE MATH, YOU ARE DOING EVERYTHING.
8) They will fire you on productivity. Unless, you are a favorite. I know CPST workers who did not do anything and got monthly rewards. If you outshine people you are out of luck. I.E. Do not be good at your job. When they fire you they make you feel like a awful person and do not want to have a conversation with you.
9) Kicker: if you are on a ten month contract; it does not get renewed in August. It is renewed in Jun (appx 6/14). Therefore, the know before hand if you will get fired. You can get 4 write ups for productivity. A guiding moment does not count as one. You can get fired whenever they feel like it. Some people get written up 4 times and are OK. Some get written up twice and get screwed.
10) YOU WILL LOVE THE CLIENTS AND THE FAMILIES WHICH MAKES IT HARD WHEN YOU LEAVE. THEY EXPECT IT BUT IT IS HARD WHEN THEY DO NOT LET YOU SAY GOOD BYE.

I would have given a 1 star. I wish they had reviews before I started. I learned nothing, gave it 120% with no OT, and was treated awful. I left my other job for nothing. I started off making 10 friends and lets just say 8 quit /were laid off by the time I left OGS.

If you are loved you will be fine. They seem nice during the first 3 months.

Read all the reviews online. Best of luck, ya all.
Meaningful and fulfilling work directly with population in need. Management encourages tasks become tailored to individual assets and goals. I want
Victims Advocate (Current Employee) –  Carrollton, OHJune 27, 2019
Would recommend. This position is a constant growth experience. You will be able to get a lot of training. I have had past experiences with abrasive employers, Management in this position restored my faith in purpose driven work. The support and connection built thru team building meetings an projects has aided establishing trust and ultimately giving us the ability to strongly help those in need of services. I leave feeling useful and a "part of." This is an amazing career option, I truly cannot say enough about my supervisor
Pros
Excellent management, tons of training opportunities, paid time off, supportive staff with lots of opportunities to team build, consistent supervision . Great opportunities to help others
Cons
can be stressful working with this population, fluctuates between very busy and very slow depending on the day
Fun environment to do some good
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Berea, OHJune 2, 2019
Working with Ohio Guidestone has been a pleasure. The people who i worked with were all great. The kids needed strong role models and it gets stressful but it beyond worth it.
Coworkers were great. Management was non supportive and there was no recognition.
Intake (Former Employee) –  Lorain, OHMay 22, 2019
No support from management, the benefits are terrible, expectation to perform 2 person job with little pay and little recognition. Co-workers were wonderful & so supportive.
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
No recognition, no respect, too much work for little pay.
Terrible management
Residential Treatment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Berea, OHMay 15, 2019
OhioGuidestone will hire you with a lot of promise of making people's lives better, and you will make some lives better. Yet, some of the people that are hired do not have a college education in mental health, at all, which really sets things back. Management will not do anything to hold their staff accountable, which is frustrating for people trained in mental health. You can choose your shift which is good but there's also a very high turn-over rate because of the serious issue with compensation.
Pros
you can choose your shift
Cons
your mental health will take a toll
Could not be worse!
Victim's Advocate (Former Employee) –  Carrollton, OHMay 9, 2019
Let's start with the job description.... They have a lot of things the you'll be doing in it but what they don't tell you is what the real job is! You are a housekeeper who is disrespected by clients, your required to do heavy lifting of furniture that possibly infested with bed bugs. You cook, clean and babysit for clients while they watch TV and do drugs. You also have to drive your personal vehicle with clients in it. Many who are drug addicts or have severe mental health problems. No concern for the advocates safety at all.
Clients can act abusively towards advocates & they can do nothing but take it.
Management all the way up the board is horrific. There is no support, they are clueless to what happens daily there. The shelter never has staff because it's a horrible place to work & they expect the advocates to stay extra shifts with no notice. An 8 hr day turns into a 16 hour shift and you are fired if you leave. They also tell you that you shift will be one thing (M-F days for example) then put you on all midnight shifts or vary your shift so you can work days one day, 2nd the next and 3rd shift the next day. They will say anything to hire anyone in. When you complain, they bring up the job description that says you work whenever they tell you to.
Management is never there or available by phone, they refuse to cover shifts and are useless. They have no education requirements for the position so anyone can get that job and it shows.
Most advocates last less than a month at the Carrollton shelter, they either quit or they are terminated for made up reasons
  more... by management with no prior reprimands. The stress caused by this position was not worth the pennies they pay you.
If Ohioguidestone plans on keeping that shelter open they need to clean house starting with the management.
Case Manager
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMay 2, 2019
Pay and benefits are terrible. Productivity expected to be met regardless of family participation, scheduling conflicts and client's/family continuously no showing scheduled appointments.
productive
Treatment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Berea, OHApril 23, 2019
a lot of hours to have. Great experience to work with other people to create different ideas for daily task. Great area to work with kids with mental and behavioral issues.
Pros
available hours
Cons
type of work we do
good
Community Mental Health Worker (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHApril 13, 2019
over all good experience. good communication with supervisor and they provide assistance immediately when worker is in crisis. However, there is a lot of driving to see clients.
Great team support
Early Childhood Mental Health Therapist (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHApril 8, 2019
Great experience, the best social service agency in the city. Great supports from management, great training opportunities, great team supports. Excellent supervision and career development opportunities.
Supportive coworkers and management
Therapist (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHMarch 28, 2019
I love working at Ohio Guidestone. I feel very supported by my supervisor and my career goals are taken seriously and plans are made to help me reach them. The work can be stressful, especially productivity but that comes with any job in this field. Helping make an impact in the community is rewarding. I feel like I am challenged and have opportunities to use my skills and learn new ones. Overall, I am very happy with my job at OhioGuidestone
Pros
Benefits, support in advancing license, free trainings
Na
Juvenile Corrections Specialist (Former Employee) –  Berea, OHMarch 12, 2019
I do not find any benefit in this as it will only come out and come off as negative and probably over dramatic due the the negative environment and experience.
Enjoyable
Treatment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Berea, OHFebruary 13, 2019
The job it’s self was great but extremely stressful working with the children as some of them had problems that were very hard to help them cope with. The staff was awesome and always helped

Ask a question about working or interviewing at OhioGuidestone. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.2Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

2.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight