Ohlone College Employee Reviews

Good for students
Math Tutor (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CAJune 22, 2018
I was both working part time and studying there. I had a lot of fun and learned so much when I was working at Ohlone College.

The salary was too low in my opinion, but it offered opportunities for students to both work and study at the same time, so no complain.
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CAJune 17, 2018
The college will not hire you if you don't have experience of working in a college institution. I enjoyed working there and wish I could have kept the temporary job I was filling in for.
Pros
Great people
Cons
You need college work experience to work there
Great place to wirk
Project Manager -Pro. Development Coor. (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CAJune 7, 2018
Ohlone College is a wonderful place to work. The staff and instructors are professional, friendly and knowledgable. I am proud to have had the opportunity to work there.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Grant Funded Position
fantastic work environment
English Instructor (Current Employee) –  Fremont, CAMay 24, 2018
As far as the actual work and students are concerned, there is no place better than Ohlone. The student diversity is enormous, everyone is quite open minded and accepting, mutually supportive. I had a bit of a hard time figuring things out and was not adequately told about changing rules, etc but was given a great deal of autonomy in selecting my textbooks, curriculum, and approach to teaching.
Pros
a lot of autonomy and understanding from most students and administration
Cons
a bit more information regarding practical hands on dealing with college IT, etc would be helpful. Compensation is lowest among community colleges in the bay area
Manager was the worst
Secretary Clerk/Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CAMay 24, 2018
I actually did get my AA degree from Ohlone College. I was in need of a job and I was lucky enough to get a job from this manager of EOPS. I worked there about 8 months and she yelled at me the whole time in front of students and then would laugh. She thought it was funny. The students were not laughing with her. I looked for another job fast.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
poor management
i learned a lot
Schedule coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CAFebruary 26, 2018
when I was in this position I learned a lot of different computer programs . I met a lot of nice people who showed me around campus and that was nice.
Relaxed but dynamic work environment
COMMUNITY EDUCATION SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Fremont, CAFebruary 23, 2018
Ohlone College is a bright beacon of learning, As a workplace, the environment is one of teamwork and collaboration. As an instructor with Ohlone for Kids, I felt encouraged and respected, my success was encouraged
Pros
collaboration
Cons
hours
Fun and exciting
Professor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CAFebruary 23, 2018
Working at Ohlone college was fun and exciting. It was nice meeting new people and convincing some to take the classes I was in. The Professors there were nice and friend and some where even willing to pay for your certification.
Pros
Fun, Exciting
Cons
no free lunch
excellent
Custodial Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Fremont, CAFebruary 20, 2018
I am on call via text, email, phone call 24/7. I manager two campus'. two shifts. oversee cleanliness, work order and Event set ups. The work place culture is diverse in race, culture gender and age. readjusting the need for staffing is the most challenging of the day and the most rewarding is to be able to meet the learning environment of the student and faculty with minimal interruption.
Pros
salary and benifits
Cons
there are no obvious cons
Fun place to work
Computer Science Undergraduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CADecember 21, 2017
I had a great experience working with my professors and students to help them in their coding assignments. I would definitely recommend anyone else to work as a CS or math tutor. You will learn a lot.
MATH TUTOR at deaf lab
Math Tutor (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CANovember 9, 2017
• Tutored approximately 3 students weekly each semester.
• Taught concepts from all level of mathematics, such as Basic Algebra, Pre-Algebra, Geometry, and trigonometry.
• Kept detailed progress notes and time sheets for each session on a weekly basis.
Pros
free lunches and flexiable times.
Cons
short breaks
Fun job
House Manager (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CANovember 2, 2017
A typical day at work consist of clocking in, checking to make sure that the house is clean and nice looking, checking the outside area and making sure if it is set up properly, taking peoples tickets and having to fill out a performance paper including how many audience members showed up, bringing people from the intermission when it's time, sometimes having to tell them if for whatever reason they did not hear me or see the lights flashing.
I learned how to manage a theater performance, how to stay nice but be a little bit strict when its time to leave the theater so that the theater techs can break down everything and that I can clean up the theater again.
The workplace culture was very nice since I knew pretty much all my coworkers beforehand since it was at my college, so I already felt comfortable with them.
The hardest part of my job was the language barrier between me and some of the clients.
The most enjoyable part was I felt like I fitted in.
Pros
Worked with my school schedule
Cons
Not enough hours
student aide
admissions and records (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CAOctober 29, 2017
a typical day at work is picking up mail, processing student forms and filling them all alphabetically and numerically. i learned that this place is a good platform to grow and build up your job experiences after your graduate college
Good working environment
Professor (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CASeptember 16, 2017
Ohlone is a junior college. Besides teaching, the faculty has to do some committee work. There is not much help with the labs.
It good place for a person willing to put in enough time to do a good job The salary is low compared to other colleges. Housing is very expensive in Fremont. It is close to the silicon valley.
Productive and fun learning working environment
Communication Tutor (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CAMay 25, 2017
This was an in-school tutor position and I learned a lot about hoping people perfect their skills. I loved the culture and people around me and would definitely recommend this position to other people.
Pros
Great leadership
Cons
Not to hands-on
Fast-paced, unflexible, but fun environment
Student Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CAMay 9, 2017
Accounting Dept. was fast-paced, pressurized, sometimes cutthroat environment. People themselves are nice, but there is a gap between management and lay personnel so people were sometimes insecure about their positions and turned to blaming others in fear. Not a good team environment. Working elsewhere on campus, though, can add a plus to your day if you want more relaxing, congenial and fun work environment, especially if you like working in college atmosphere. Many oppty's to take advantage of their excellent theatre and music/sports events, and beautiful, secure neighborhood/campus environment. Average benefits package compared to other employers in the area if you get benefits.
Pros
Motivating work env. due to typical college atmosphere
Cons
They can cut or add to your hours based on college's needs. Only minimum wage if you are a student.
Financial Aid Office Specialist, Ohlone College, Fremont CA November 2015 to present
Financial Aid Office Specialist (Current Employee) –  Fremont, CAMarch 22, 2017
It is a wonderful envirmonment to work in. i have always enjoyed working with epople of many cultures to getting the job completed correctly. The only negative I have, is the fact that it does not supply me with the funds to start a family and my own life based on the income.
Pros
Working close with others, buillding strong relationshsips
Cons
Not enough funds to support a fmaily
Excellent experience
Tutor in an Introduction to C++ course (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CAMarch 2, 2017
The professor was really supportive. I loved the environment. Schedule was flexible. While I taught students I was also learning a lot from the experience itself including communication skills and I could reflect my own knowledge management through teaching.
Tutored accounting students
Accounting Tutor (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CAJuly 14, 2016
I tutored accounting students who had a difficult understanding a concept. I learned how to explain concepts into simple and related terms for students.
Instructor was helpful
Member (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CAApril 3, 2016
While working closely with the dean, I learned how to manage schedules, and address pressing issues within the college.