Oklahoma Blood Institute Employee Reviews

Not engaging
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE I (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 11, 2019
The people are great to work with. Management, not so much. Seems to clearly play favorites and only looks at certain criteria when looking to level up people. What sounds like a level field, is not.
Train or Develop Work History Here.
Inventory Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKDecember 28, 2018
I was a Blood Inventory Specialist (Blood Delivery Boy) and I initially had a good time. I learned a lot about Blood.... :-P
Unfortunately, you could end up working way more than you should due to blood related emergencies at local hospitals or the refrigeration or freezer units “going down.” What really sucked about working all the extra hours was how it felt like you lived at work or on the road, but you were making $10.75 an hour?? Who cares about over time when it’s such a lowing position... If you’re the new guy or younger than the older and less capable co-workers, you’re gonna get screwed over with the worst shifts... There’s “paying your dues” than there’s FIRE THE SUPER OLD AND BROKEN PERSON or move them somewhere else in the company... I loved the snacks and drinks and helping people with an important necessity, but heck... Unless you’re rich or needing to develop some kind of work history.... Don’t do it. You could make just as much, if not more working as a security guard with 1/4th of the work load and crazy hours...
Pros
Snacks, Drinks, Something to occupy ALL OF YOUR TIME
Cons
Management cares about you, but not when it comes down to “money.” They’ll leave you short handed, under paid, and act like it’s business as usual.
Positive and fun co-workers throughout the building!
Blood Program Consultant (Former Employee) –  Enid, OKDecember 20, 2018
I learned so much about processing blood and how important it is for people to donate blood all 6 times per year. When you accept this job, you are helping to save lives!!
negative environment that did not promote innovation
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKNovember 25, 2018
I was required to follow strict instructions that outlined my work. It was not an environment in which questions or suggestions were welcomed. I felt that many of my superiors did not have a true understanding of the theory behind the procedures and thus were unable to properly explain methods to others.
I love the people I work with
Inventory Management Technician (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKNovember 7, 2018
I love working at The Oklahoma Blood Institute. I drive an hour each way to get to work. It has decent pay, with shift differential. It's a set 40 hours a week. I work 4 days a week 10 hours a day. If I hadn't received a job offer, with a huge pay increase I wouldn't even be leaving.
Productive place to work
Component Laboratoy Technician (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKNovember 6, 2018
Productive place to work, lots of information to learn. Good company where you learn about blood products, and the manufacturing procedures. Great learning experience.
Good place to gain skills
Programmer / Analyst (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKOctober 12, 2018
The work was rewarding initially. Beginning years had vision and opportunity, plenty of design and development in Java, Oracle, SQL Server and .Net, with a road map and plenty of projects to come. Eventual changes slowed progress and derailed developer to customer interaction, which limited/prevented customer needs from being met.
A very backwards company- HORRIBLE
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  MobilesAugust 27, 2018
This company has very little, if not zero consideration for its employees. They work you to the absolute bone with very very few days off- Count on ONE day off in the middle of 12 days on. Horrible pay. Lots of excuses. Very little opportunity. Nothing is ever enough. I would never recommend this company.
Mobile phlebotomist/Supervisor (2003-2018)
Mobile phlebotomist/supervisor (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKAugust 11, 2018
Love the mission of the company but I wouldn’t work for this company due to they don’t care about their employees all they are about is their goal to make red cell, it’s all about the money..your over work and under pay. Management sucks if you report something to them regarding a situation with other employees they will tell that employee about the complain, very unprofessional managers.HR are the same way, it’s like your back in high school. Also when there’s bad weather ice storm you still have to go out and do a blood drive even though it’s not safe to drive, they don’t care about the employees safety as long as they collect their blood, money hungry company..
Pros
Good pto and benifits
Great starting place
Donor Care Rep (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJuly 11, 2018
Great place to work, but it's a non-profit. Limited job advancement. World class training. Best part of the job is knowing you helped others in your community.
Pros
World class training
Cons
Pay & Job Advancement
Not a good place to work for
Phlebotomy Technician (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJuly 10, 2018
They do not care about their co workers. They only care about using their donors and making money. They will threaten co workers with meetings on christmas eve if they do not meet standards .
obi
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Ardmore, OKJuly 5, 2018
the women were mean. the only great thing about it was the actual drawing of the blood and taking care of the donors. everything else made it stressfulll and a terrible working environment.
Great group of people with great benefits
Logistics and Performance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJune 29, 2018
I really enjoyed my time with OBI. I fully believe in the mission and I have nothing but positive things to say about the management and executive employees there. It was a challenging position and I believe I was fairly compensated for that. The benefits are great and while there isn't a ton of room for future growth there is still some opportunity.
Pros
Wonderful company benefits
Cons
Not too much expansion for promotions
Not a family friendly business or flexible
Mobile Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Enid, OKJune 11, 2018
Not very well managed, doesn't accept doctors notes as an excused absence, and not flexible whatsoever. Some workdays are more stressful then they need to be and they do not provide the correct disciplinary actions. They let supervisors do/say what they want to/about new hires, to dramatic, and all around stressful. No lunch breaks, sometimes you will receive 15-30 minute breaks but only on 12 hour days.
Pros
I met some great people working here
Cons
not very understanding of certain situations.
Daily travel, meeting new people and saving lives while having fun
Phlebotomist/ Apheresis Tech (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJune 8, 2018
You go in to work every day at different hours, load the vans with your equipment for the day and head out to your blood drive. Benefits and PTO start from day one, so you can accrue time off immediately. Only bad part of that is you can't use the pto until 90 days after hire. The hours may be a bit much for some, but you get used to it fairly quickly. It's like your 2nd home, so your coworkers become like family. And just like family, you've got your favorites ...aaaaand then you have the ones you'd rather disown lol. The days are still great because everyone is pretty laid back. It's nice getting to meet new donors every day as well. Overall, it's a great place to work.
Pros
Daily travel, laid back environment, benefits and pto (accrual) from day one
Cons
Long hours, no breaks during drives
Nice place to work
Cord Blood Manager (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJune 6, 2018
Beautiful facility, nice people to work with and very clean. They took care of their employees and recognized people for their hard work. I enjoyed my time there.
Chaos
Inventory management representative (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARMay 29, 2018
The Little Rock distribution center was extremely poorly managed. Because of the poor management inventory representatives were trained on the fly and asked to perform high level tasks without adequate support. Many, many team members resigned (or were terminated) and were not replaced in a timely manner- or at all. This created increased stress on the remaining team members, mandatory overtime in a 24/7 environment, unrealistic expectations, accidents, and unhappy hospital customers.

The company only hires once per month and for some reason, many people who were hired failed to attend onboarding (6 hours away) and thus were terminated before they even began. This set hiring back another month each time this occurred. Rather than hire several people and hopefully have a few who actually go through onboarding, the company would only hire one or two employees at a time.

As the team crumbled and went from about 15 employees to 8, you would have been hard pressed to find anyone in management with either the authority or desire to bring in extra help from other centers or allow new hires to begin work immediately in a limited capacity before onboarding. If you brought a concern to management about not having the correct tools or being over worked, your dedication to "the mission" was questioned.

All of which was very unfortunate because the job should have been great. When appropriately staffed the job was fast paced, but manageable and saving lives does give a sense of accomplishment.
Pros
Saving lives, introduction to blood banking
Cons
Inept management, very long and stressful shifts, weekend rotation
This company has a high standard for performance and FDA compliance.
Phlebotomist/Apheresis Tech (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMay 14, 2018
OBI is a great place to work. Daily mission and goal is to provide blood products to serve people in a health crisis.

Employees are very efficient and compassionate. The down side of the job is the unpredictable work schedule. Management is currently working to make it better for the employees. Overall, most employees are satisfied with their job at OBI.
Pros
Knowing the job you do is helping to save a life and working with compassionate people.
Cons
Unpredictable work schedule.
Comfortable work environment. family oriented..
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMay 4, 2018
Oklahoma Blood Institute was a very great experience for me as a matter of fact one of the best work experience of my life. They are very understanding and treat you like family. There is room to grow there and equal opertunities.
Mission-driven workplace
Regional Director, Hospital Relations (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKApril 20, 2018
OBI is a very mission-driven organization, focused on saving lives through blood transfusions, providing blood to 90% of the hospitals in Oklahoma, several in northern/western Texas and eastern and central Arkansas. The majority of people who work for the organization are focused on the mission and work hard to ensure it is accomplished with the highest quality and excellent customer service. The CEO is dedicated to employees, the donor experience and patients who receive transfusions from OBI donors.
Pros
Good health benefits
Cons
no flex schedules for management