Oklahoma City Public Schools Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Pros outweigh the Cons
Lead Courier (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJuly 10, 2018
By that I mean you may not make much but you have pretty good benfits. I can't speak for anyone else but my boss is awesome. It makes home life balance work for me and that means a lot to me.
Great workplace
Desktop Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, Ok;lahomaJune 28, 2018
Excellent co-workers and staff wonderful place to work, I am currently not working here but I think that ti would be an excellent opportunity. The staff are great to work with.
Poor funding across state
Mathematics Teacher (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJune 13, 2018
Teachers are not paid for the amount of work they put in. The students require more time than allotted to learn. This was sometimes due to the basic needs not being met at home. Then I realized this job didn't pay enough for basic needs. I would like to think my mathematics background along with my known work dedication will help me get a good paying job.
Pros
Watching students learn
Cons
Debt
Students Rock
Elementary School Counselor (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJune 8, 2018
Over the years I've worked at several schools. I enjoyed all the schools where I worked. If you love children and want the best for them no matter their circumstance, you'll enjoy working at OKCPS.
Pros
Great People
Cons
Salary needs to be meet National Standards
Secretary
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJune 4, 2018
I did a lot of different things at the school. I was the financial/counselor secretary. I love my job because I got to be with my kids during the day. I really loved helping the kids out and just seeing them grow up. I was like a second mom to a lot of them.
I really love my job in the counselor's office. Just meeting new people.
Pros
the schedule, the kids, close to home
Cons
the pay
Flexibility of Substitute Teaching
Substitute Teacher K-12 (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMay 28, 2018
I am a full-time college student and enjoy the flexibility of substitute teaching because I can choose the assignments that work for my schedule and availability! I don't have to worry about being disturbed when I have an exam to prepare for because I can set-up non-work days so that I am not contacted to take an assignment. Introduce yourself to the school staff and faculty. This will help them, and you, when they are looking for someone to fill a particular assignment.
Pros
Staff and Faculty are friendly and helpful
Cons
30 minute lunch break
Classroom teachers are treated like dogs.
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMay 23, 2018
Classroom teachers get no respect. They are paid less than all other certified positions. They are expected to use their plan time to do everything except truly plan and grade. This district is dysfunctional and needs to get rid of every administrator at every level and start over.
Good Work Flow
Elementary Clerk (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMay 21, 2018
I like working with people and students and I put my very best every day at my job. I do lot of customer services with my parents at school and my co-workers.
job security
Health/Physical Education/Safety Teacher (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMay 18, 2018
The best thing about working here is job security. The the stress of classroom discipline and management is not worth the security. Every school is different but the culture of the teacher industry is poor.
Great Place to Work!
In-School Suspension Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMay 10, 2018
I enjoyed my colleagues, the children, and the community we served. It was an awesome opportunity to sharpen pedagogical practice, and prepare for the net step in my career advancement.
Excellent Place to Work!
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMay 10, 2018
Awesome Place to Work!
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMay 10, 2018
I enjoyed working at the Oklahoma City Public Schools. I will always cherish the foundation I received to move forward and spread my wings in the educational arena.
The money is terrible and communcation is nonexistent
Assistant Pre-K Teacher (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMay 6, 2018
Support staff make far less than minimum wage per hour and get no respect. The insurance is good but what good is the insurance when you can't pay your co-pay? Communication lines between principals and support staff is very weak but mostly not occurring whatsoever.
Pros
The work is important the other teachers and support staff make the world go around.
Cons
Principals can be tyrants with poor social skills across the board, Also can a staff get paid enough to cover rent AND food please?
Substitute Teacher
Substitute Teacher PreK-12 (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKApril 27, 2018
It is a great job if you love to be around kids. I would get on the website on my days off and check if a substitute was needed and if there was one available I would just mark it and present myself at the school that needed me. Great place to work in I had no problems.
Pros
Easy Access
Cons
Pay was not enough to live off of.
The moral is low.
Speech Language Pathologist (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKApril 25, 2018
The climate I feel needs to change. The teachers have a very diverse group of children. The moral is very low, and most teachers have students that are a challenge to work with.
Pros
The teachers are great
Cons
Students are challangeing and so much standard tsting too many students in the classed
Great Career
Elementary Teacher (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKApril 16, 2018
The hours compared to compensation were inadequate at times, because of deadlines and the endless reports required. However, because of the students and their love of learning and my love for them, it was a great experience. I would recommend this job or career to anyone. I miss it everyday.
Pros
Students
Cons
Compensation and endless reports and testing!!
the PTO and insurance are why people stay
Specialist (Former Employee) –  OKC, OKApril 10, 2018
Depending on what dept you work in, the days could be stressful or pretty lax. Most of the people with the stressful jobs are doing triple the work of those with the relaxed jobs not putting in much effort to cover what needs to be done. And the pay that some directors and leadership management get here is way more than you would expect while the people that get all the day to day work dumped on them get paid well below average. They do not work with you if you try and continue your education unless you are a teacher that qualifies within a certain grant like special ed... If you complete a degree while employed you will not be compensated nor promoted unless there is a vacant position you apply for and somehow get hired for. If you are hired in as a director or other executive level then you're all good, but if not expect there to be a communication barrier where your voice will not be heard. Even making an official complaint to HR dept does not give you a voice. The PTO and Insurance allowances are great, and I have heard stories of this once having been a great place to work but it has since turned into something not as pleasant.
Pros
PTO and insurance
Cons
Everything else!
Oklahoma Schools
ED Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMarch 29, 2018
Oddly enough, I'm writing this right before the walkout. If you like to work with kids, and you are a good teacher, this is a very fulfilling job, even though it's extremely stressful, and the support of students' families and the government are severely lacking. Funding cuts make teachers have to work harder to do their jobs, and it's terribly unfair.

The atmosphere is usually positive, and there is great support among the staff.
Pros
Good benefits; excellent co-workers and leadership; professional development; non-competative
Cons
low pay; underappreciated staff; stressful; not paid for overtime
I long for getting employment in Oklahoma city public schools.
School Teacher of English,Geography. (Former Employee) –  ArizonaMarch 29, 2018
Oklahoma is one of good cities, that I would like to
Work.The place is well secured. The administration seems to be caring the workers. Motivation is given to workers
Pros
Housing is provided, lunch and breakfast
Cons
Short breaks
Bonding environment and teamwork
Media Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMarch 27, 2018
I have enjoyed working here and I would recommend this job in this district to someone else. Depending on what school you are at there are team building projects and lots of support from your coworkers. Leadership positions and always room for growth.