Oklahoma Department Of Corrections Employee Reviews

Not a good place
CSO II (Former Employee) –  McAlester, OKSeptember 29, 2018
Management isnt good at all. Work environment either isnt good. Needed more hours and decided it wasnt worth working for this company anymore. They treat you bad
Long hours Stressful
Corectional Security Officer II (Current Employee) –  Lexington, OKSeptember 26, 2018
Very hard to have a good work life balance great pay when you include overtime.Sometimes hard to get time off approved. Great experience in law enforcement.
understaffed and too much inexperince
Correctional Officer III (Current Employee) –  Lexington, OKSeptember 13, 2018
all security staff are overworked do to the fact of being under staffed. having to deal with violent people. working 5-6 12 hour shift. not being able to receive time that was requested months in advance.
Pros
good benifets
Cons
no breaks
It's not for everyone.
Correctional Security Manager (Current Employee) –  OklahomaSeptember 12, 2018
It can be very stressful and the hours are long. The quality of staff has diminished since they eliminated the entrance exam. We are the stepchildren of the State of Oklahoma, they acknowledge our presence but do little to support us. The only time you hear about a CO is if something has gone wrong. If you apply, PLEASE realize the environment that you are coming into. We're all tired of training people just to have people get scared and quit. The state needs to pay is enough to where people want to come here and stay. The stress can get to you too, a lot of people quit and come back, like me! I came back for the insurance and retirement, I make my money doing side jobs. We shouldn't have to do that.
Pros
Great benefits, job security. Great advancement opprtunities.
Cons
Low pay in relation to risk and job demands.
Not worth it
Correctional Officer III (Current Employee) –  Taft, OKSeptember 6, 2018
Long hours with horrible pay. Very bad for family life. There is little concern for your needs or desires unless you are in the right clique. Don't expect to trust your coworkers either that would be a horrible mistake.
Never had a chance to prove myself to company.
Security Officer 1 (Former Employee) –  Lindsay, OKAugust 9, 2018
Made a few mistakes with SOP was written up never had a chance to prove myself to company. I am a hard worker and was dedicated to the job. Was looking to relocate at some point lived an Hour drive from my facility. Unfortunately did not get the opportunity to do so.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
Lived too far away from facility
Awesome job
Construction Maintenance Technician III (Current Employee) –  Alva, OKAugust 7, 2018
Great place to work... interesting and fast paced environment... be prepared for security! the DOC dont play! Unfortunately you wont get a raise for 10 years.. but the retirement and benefits are top notch!
More staffing needed
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Former Employee) –  Lexington, OKAugust 6, 2018
Warden at Lexington from my perspective outstanding. Addresses needs of employees in prompt manner. Medical unit management does need to consider work load on available staff and consider the employees family time/work balance issues or I believe they will have difficult time keeping good medical staff.
Pros
insurance paid
Cons
Not enough help on unit.
Department of Corrections
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  McAlester, OKAugust 5, 2018
It's an alright place. The hours are long. They pay is not so great.We hardly get raises. The benefits are really good. They are about the only thing the job has going for it.
fast paced, great learning experience
Contracting and Acquisitions Agent III (Former Employee) –  OKC, OKJuly 28, 2018
a typical day consisted of creating requisitions, purchase orders, change orders, receiving quotes, and working with business managers from 11 of the states prison facilities.
Pros
great facility
Cons
had to accept a different job in order to get a promotion
Overall Review
Clinic Manager (Current Employee) –  Boley, OKJuly 25, 2018
- My typical day at work is usually busy. Scheduling, answering phone calls, making sure deadlines are met, ensuring my staff is at work on time, ensuring the clinic operations run smoothly.
- I've learned several things managing this clinic but mostly I've learned organizational skills are a must for operations to run effectively.
- The hardest part of the job would be when staff are late or absent. My nurses have to fill shifts without notice.
- I enjoy my job. I do work with inmates and we're here to help them. It's rewarding to help someone and work to improve their lives.
Management- completing staff schedules as well as the doctors scheduling for the inmates to be seen. I also head meetings with other departments, report information to our Warden and medical administrators. There's a lot going on with our clinic, and the days are extremely busy, but for the most part things run great!
Pros
We have a great team
Cons
N/a
Dangerous job
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Vinita, OKJuly 25, 2018
Would not recommend this job to anyone. Shift rotations hard on the family life. Always short staffed and have to work alone with up to 300 inmates that don't want you there.
Pros
Benifits
Cons
Getting assaulted by inmates
Very fast paced and stressful
Correctional Case Manager I (Current Employee) –  Taft, OKJuly 20, 2018
Working in a prison there is never a day where you can predict what will happen. You must be able to multi-task, have problem solving skills, have very good listening skills and be able to produce and react under high stress.
Pros
Free lunches, paid sick and annual leave, paid healthcare
Cons
Upper administration attitudes
unique experience
Physician Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lexington, OKJuly 18, 2018
hard to get inside to work due to security, work routine, not difficult, but can feel threatened, good people to work with, but patients could be difficult if not used to inmates and their behavior
Pros
private office
Cons
long commute from home, isolated confined feeling
Chaplin
Chaplain II (Former Employee) –  Stringtown, OKJuly 13, 2018
Most of the volunteers worked hard and was dedicated to helping the offenders. A few volunteers, however, wanted to be glorified.

With administration, I had 7 supervisors in less that 5 yrs. as the chaplain I had no say and the policies were always changing --- by people who had no idea what I did with my work.
Great experience woking with clients on probation or parole
Probation and Parole Officer III (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OklahomaJuly 10, 2018
Was able to work with clients sentenced to probation or granted parole. Salary was minimal. Management was adequate. The workplace culture was satisfactory. The hardest part of the job is the inability to get all tasks completed. The most enjoyable part of the job was to help people find a more positive way to live and behave.
Pros
Work independently with out being micro managed
Cons
low salary
Not a recomended career
Probation & Parole Officer III (Former Employee) –  OklahomaJuly 4, 2018
Worked for this agency in the capacity of Probation and Parole Officer, retiring after 20 years. Severely underpaid for a position that requires a 4 year degree, peace officer certification and continued exposure to hazardous work conditions. Daily possibility of injury or death resulting from attack in the workplace or while doing home visits, and possible exposure to diseases while interacting with offenders and testing their urine in unsanitary conditions (in my office testing occured in the workspace on carpeted floors in the employee break room!) Complete lack of support or advocacy from all levels of supervisors, even though they understand that you are being asked to accomplish standards of supervision that are impossible with the complete lack of resources available to you. A consistent trend during the last few years is to increase expectations of employees, increase paperwork to the point of needing forms to keep track of forms, and a persistent lack of empowerment to do the job expected of you. Additionally, you can expect extreme micromanagement with a near zero tolerance for independent thought or bottom up input based on your many years of experience doing this very job. This micromanagement, or adversarial overmanagement, is becoming more reinforced with the creation of numerous new Team Supervisor and District Supervisor positions in order to increase the level of oversight and scrutiny on individual officers. Also, be prepared for an underserved feeling of disdain from supervisors and management who obviously place little value on you as a human being,  more... much less as an employee. These trends will likely continue, as bed space in the prisons is freed up to save money, and more and more offenders are placed on community supervision while no additional resources make their way to officers to accomodate the increasingly more difficult types of offenders that are displaced from incarceration and placed on community supervision. After working there for 20 years I ended up with a retirement that is 1,800.00 per month before taxes, and will never increase for cost of living without a vote of the state legislature, which will never happen. Additionally, when you retire you will no longer have affordable insurance, so you will have to find alternative emplyment, and it cannot be with the state or county because they are on the same retirement system. Also, the opportunities for promotion are limited if you are not part of the crony crowd, so be prepared to max out as a PPOIII, in about 5 years. When I started this job it was a great job and paid well. Over the course of 20 years it became something that I was trapped in until I could get out of it with a (low paying) pension. In all fairness, it did provide me with a stable paycheck for 20 years, but I am not sure that level of stability is present currently due to the amount of officers who have been driven to resign or been fired recently. I would not recommend this job as a long term career these days, and would only recommend this job to someone who is a recent graduate who will use it to obtain CLEET certification and then move on in 12 to 24 months to a better paying job with a future. If you are considering this as a career I would encourage you to speak with an officer (not a supervisor) who has been on the job at least 5 years, and ask them to tell you their take on it.  less
Pros
Employer subsidized health and dental, 20 year retirement, paid vacation, paid sick leave
Cons
Dangerous, low paying, lack of promotion opportunity, lack of resources, lack of feeling valued as an employee
Records Clerk (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJuly 3, 2018
Explain in person it was the best and highest paying job in my area. I put in my resume because I had an important engagement in Kentucky. We handled every person's records that had ever been arrested in Oklahoma.
Alright
Health Information Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lexington, OKJuly 3, 2018
The benefits were excellent. However, corporate management would try to run the department from a different location and would have no idea how things were running in the first place.
Poor Leadership
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJune 27, 2018
The agency is run by a bunch of uneducated folks who have been promoted to leadership that have no ability to manage money or employees the way they should.