Oklahoma Department Of Corrections
67Average

Oklahoma Department Of Corrections Employee Reviews

United States198 reviews
good job long hours
an awesome place to work for great pay some days can be difficult depending on the offenders. days can go from 8 hours to 16 in the snap of a finger if one person doesnt show up to work. over all good career
Terrible place to work.
The upper management doesn't care about you at all and you will be neglected as a officer by them unless you are in there good boy club. Everyone knows each other and its like high school all over again so much drama and kids that work there. No one acts like an adult and your more likely to receive back up when needed from the inmates then the other officers
Risky Job
When I worked at a community prison, I was satisfied, except for the usual politics.

When I transferred to the Granite Reformitory, it was definitely run by a good ole boy promoting practice. Each officer was not recognized for his merit alone. I put up with being overlooked to get a promotion, but I left when I was isolated to watch 240 inmates (80 per pod). I was the only officer in one of the outside storage buildings and had to pass out mail in each pod. Granted, it was medium security, but do you really trust a group of convicted felons.

Very risky situation. 80 inmates against one officer with pepper spray. The job was a joke.

I moved to work in Childress, TX. Alot less risk and got promoted from day one for being an Army Veteran. I made $700 more a month in Texas.
A excellent job
Benefits and pay are great Downside is long days and minimum time left for family facility is old and dirty management is hit or miss overall it’s a decent job for some
Job Security
I learn something new everyday. It can get a bit repetative but I help other departments to understand our objective better. I have a wealth of knowlege from my supervisors that I can draw upon when needed.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Security
Would you rate your company five stars?
Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.
one star
State benefits are good but not worth it, minimal chances to promote and develop career, lots of drama/office politics, no up to date employee resources
Well organized , good organizatiom
Very good organization to work for especially if you enjoy structure. If you enjoy working in a team setting, you will enjoy working there.
You know what is expected and everyone is helpful.
Pros
FlexIbility with time, good pay
Cons
Can be very busy
Safety
• Supervised offenders in an effective, firm and fair manner.
• Monitored the conduct of offenders throughout the day and documented all incidents.

• Successfully completed specialized training courses for job duties.

• Checked in various visitors who had come to see the offenders on visiting day(s).
Not worth it
Poor management. Lack of staff. Staff doesn’t help inmates. Inmates should have access to chewing tobacco. Should be able to receive packages from family, food packages. Staff should be able to talk to inmates, instead of trying to right them up over stupid stuff.
Integrity
To work here it would be beneficial to have a security background. Understand that you may have long hours on some days. The people you work with count on you as well as you count on them. You have their back, they have yours. You are there to assist with the rehabilitation and reintroduction of offenders to society.
I was a good work place
I enjoyed working here when a certain supervisor was in front of the team. It was a great learning experience for me. I learned a lot about the laws and am able to see the would of law enforcement.
An alright place
One of the oldest professions in the state of Oklahoma, There are many upon many ways to advance within the force if you have the willpower and want to do so.
challenging
Great place to work if Director placement is correct. The worse state legislation ever passed was the Governor having the ability to appoint the director.
Don’t do it
The job itself is amazing! I loved it but the supervisors and other officers make it so miserable. It is not worth it. I would not recommend it to my worst enemy. If they did some serious reconstruction in admin, captains and other supervisor staff it may not be so bad!!!!
Work with a purpose
I love working for the Department of Corrections. Many who work for the Department feel the overworked and underpaid, but I am one of the few that is working in the position I am because I love what I do. I believe that there is a need for more pay, but the work has a purpose.
Pros
There are many great leaders within the department.
Cons
Pay
Room for advancement
Always room for advancement. Management was fair but followed policy. A great deal of opportunity to move around to different positions. Able to gain a lot of experience.
The job is what you make it.
I work for Oklahoma doc 2 different times for a total of 5 years. The job provides a great opportunity for advancement. Corrections isn’t for everyone, but I had the pleasure of working for and with a lot of great people that I still keep in contact with to this day. The job can be very stressful and you work long hours. But the bond you make with your co workers helps you through the stress and the long hours.
If you have a stable home life this is a great place to work.
If your stable at home this is a great place to work that enables you to enjoy your family time. Pay isnt great but the benefits and time spent with family outweighs the money
You don’t know what you’re missing!
Employment satisfaction at ODOC is one of the state’s best kept secrets. I had no idea ODOC had so many different categories of jobs available, which include secretarial, administrative, maintenance, management, automotive and food service positions, in addition to correctional officer and case management jobs. ODOC is one of the easiest places to move up the career ladder.
Pros
Annual Leave Time, Health Insurance Options, Retirement Plans
Cons
Absolutely MUST NOT become too friendly with or trusting of inmates, Security staff must work 12 hour shifts, Continuously understaffed because applicants are afraid to work in a prison
Corrections officer Liutenant
A typical work day included plenty of overtime and adults who are not happy in life. Many people are hopeless in prison and its very hard working with people in the penal system.
Fair
Lack of Communication between Higher Authorities with employees. Not much teamwork. Very negative place to be as far as supervisors. Loved the job itself, just very unfulfilling.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Oklahoma Department Of Corrections. Our community is ready to answer.
2.9
InHerSight Score
1.6Personal Development
2.5Career Opportunities
2.5Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight