Oklahoma Department Of Corrections Employee Reviews

More staffing needed
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) (Former Employee) –  Lexington, OKAugust 6, 2018
Warden at Lexington from my perspective outstanding. Addresses needs of employees in prompt manner. Medical unit management does need to consider work load on available staff and consider the employees family time/work balance issues or I believe they will have difficult time keeping good medical staff.
Pros
insurance paid
Cons
Not enough help on unit.
Overall Review
Clinic Manager (Current Employee) –  Boley, OKJuly 25, 2018
- My typical day at work is usually busy. Scheduling, answering phone calls, making sure deadlines are met, ensuring my staff is at work on time, ensuring the clinic operations run smoothly.
- I've learned several things managing this clinic but mostly I've learned organizational skills are a must for operations to run effectively.
- The hardest part of the job would be when staff are late or absent. My nurses have to fill shifts without notice.
- I enjoy my job. I do work with inmates and we're here to help them. It's rewarding to help someone and work to improve their lives.
Management- completing staff schedules as well as the doctors scheduling for the inmates to be seen. I also head meetings with other departments, report information to our Warden and medical administrators. There's a lot going on with our clinic, and the days are extremely busy, but for the most part things run great!
Pros
We have a great team
Cons
N/a
Dangerous job
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Vinita, OKJuly 25, 2018
Would not recommend this job to anyone. Shift rotations hard on the family life. Always short staffed and have to work alone with up to 300 inmates that don't want you there.
Pros
Benifits
Cons
Getting assaulted by inmates
Chaplin
Chaplain II (Former Employee) –  Stringtown, OKJuly 13, 2018
Most of the volunteers worked hard and was dedicated to helping the offenders. A few volunteers, however, wanted to be glorified.

With administration, I had 7 supervisors in less that 5 yrs. as the chaplain I had no say and the policies were always changing --- by people who had no idea what I did with my work.
Not a recomended career
Probation & Parole Officer III (Former Employee) –  OklahomaJuly 4, 2018
Worked for this agency in the capacity of Probation and Parole Officer, retiring after 20 years. Severely underpaid for a position that requires a 4 year degree, peace officer certification and continued exposure to hazardous work conditions. Daily possibility of injury or death resulting from attack in the workplace or while doing home visits, and possible exposure to diseases while interacting with offenders and testing their urine in unsanitary conditions (in my office testing occured in the workspace on carpeted floors in the employee break room!) Complete lack of support or advocacy from all levels of supervisors, even though they understand that you are being asked to accomplish standards of supervision that are impossible with the complete lack of resources available to you. A consistent trend during the last few years is to increase expectations of employees, increase paperwork to the point of needing forms to keep track of forms, and a persistent lack of empowerment to do the job expected of you. Additionally, you can expect extreme micromanagement with a near zero tolerance for independent thought or bottom up input based on your many years of experience doing this very job. This micromanagement, or adversarial overmanagement, is becoming more reinforced with the creation of numerous new Team Supervisor and District Supervisor positions in order to increase the level of oversight and scrutiny on individual officers. Also, be prepared for an underserved feeling of disdain from supervisors and management who obviously place little value on you as a human being,  more... much less as an employee. These trends will likely continue, as bed space in the prisons is freed up to save money, and more and more offenders are placed on community supervision while no additional resources make their way to officers to accomodate the increasingly more difficult types of offenders that are displaced from incarceration and placed on community supervision. After working there for 20 years I ended up with a retirement that is 1,800.00 per month before taxes, and will never increase for cost of living without a vote of the state legislature, which will never happen. Additionally, when you retire you will no longer have affordable insurance, so you will have to find alternative emplyment, and it cannot be with the state or county because they are on the same retirement system. Also, the opportunities for promotion are limited if you are not part of the crony crowd, so be prepared to max out as a PPOIII, in about 5 years. When I started this job it was a great job and paid well. Over the course of 20 years it became something that I was trapped in until I could get out of it with a (low paying) pension. In all fairness, it did provide me with a stable paycheck for 20 years, but I am not sure that level of stability is present currently due to the amount of officers who have been driven to resign or been fired recently. I would not recommend this job as a long term career these days, and would only recommend this job to someone who is a recent graduate who will use it to obtain CLEET certification and then move on in 12 to 24 months to a better paying job with a future. If you are considering this as a career I would encourage you to speak with an officer (not a supervisor) who has been on the job at least 5 years, and ask them to tell you their take on it.  less
Pros
Employer subsidized health and dental, 20 year retirement, paid vacation, paid sick leave
Cons
Dangerous, low paying, lack of promotion opportunity, lack of resources, lack of feeling valued as an employee
Records Clerk (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJuly 3, 2018
Explain in person it was the best and highest paying job in my area. I put in my resume because I had an important engagement in Kentucky. We handled every person's records that had ever been arrested in Oklahoma.
Alright
Health Information Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lexington, OKJuly 3, 2018
The benefits were excellent. However, corporate management would try to run the department from a different location and would have no idea how things were running in the first place.
Poor Leadership
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJune 27, 2018
The agency is run by a bunch of uneducated folks who have been promoted to leadership that have no ability to manage money or employees the way they should.
security
Correctional Officer (Corporal) (Former Employee) –  Wilson, OKJune 23, 2018
don't have much to say...I think for the employees to put there life on the line everyday they have to walk into those gates knowing they don't get paid enough to be protecting the lives of inmates and the community. Its a very stressful job and I believe they deserve a lot more than what they do.
very good benefits
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Alva, OKJune 11, 2018
this job can be good and I would say it changes depending on what facility you are at can be rewarding or very cut throat. it is a very deferent work environment and probably not for everyone.
fun work place
Mechanical Engineer II (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMay 31, 2018
Basically Design of systems. Check the consultants work. Prepare report for management. Attend meetings and show the details of progress. Report to supervisor if project is getting late.
Pros
design excellence
Cons
healthcare
Great benefits, family feeling
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sayre, OKMay 30, 2018
A typical workday is a "hurry up and wait" pace. I often found myself doing mundane work and suddenly being hit with an emergency, or walking in to an emergency first thing in the morning with the afternoon being slow and boring. You really never knew what to expect. I had five direct bosses to answer to, with two bosses over them, two bosses over them, and one boss over them; however, being an assistant I seemed to answer to basically everyone. The workplace culture felt very homey and family friendly for me; however, many others felt it was very oppressive to their needs. You will find that every person has the job they are hired for, and then are made to do the work of two or three other positions they were not hired for due to the lack of personnel, this can make the job stressful. There is no demand of respect between the coworkers, meaning that each person is responsible for how they treat each other. Being in the south, it wasn't a very big problem; however, there were some people, mostly the higher-ups, that would be extremely rude, one in particular who looked down on women very badly.
Pros
nearly free health benefits
Cons
could be overwhelming, people were not Made to be respectful/professional
Stressful
Records Officer I (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMay 30, 2018
DOC is a very stressful job with trying to meet deadlines, accountability, hours, etc. I do like working 8 to 5 because it gives me more time for a "life" outside of the walls.
Pros
Schedule flexibility
Cons
Deadlines
Dangerous but fun
Correctional Officer I (Former Employee) –  Fort Supply, OKMay 24, 2018
It was a very fun job. Great mentors and adequate training. Very dangerous. Stressful at times due to the responsibilities. In my opinion the state of Oklahoma doesn’t pay enough for the daily risk.
Pros
Adequate training, great mentors, great benefits
Cons
Under staffed, low salary, stress
steady work
Correctional security officer III (Current Employee) –  Sayre, OKMay 17, 2018
plenty of hours. almost perfect job for a single person with no kids. dedicate your time to this job and you will make it far quick. plenty of room for progression
Pros
great benefits, lots of paid time off builds up quick
Cons
no free time. large turn over rate
was a new experience
LPN Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  Taft, OKMay 15, 2018
the job at the correction facility was a learning facility, I learnt to take x- rays, venipuncture and pain management, I learnt about different cultures and beliefs.
Pros
close to home
Cons
needed different hours
Bad Experience
Correctional Officer III (Former Employee) –  McAlester, OKApril 24, 2018
Horrendous management
Taxing, non flexible work hours
Constant stress
You can accrue many sick/ paid days off, but almost never allowed to use them
Pros
Cons
Poor management, long hours, dangerous work
career
Correctional Sergeant (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKApril 18, 2018
Working for the department is a career choice. I learned valuable skills through various types of training that can be applied in any job I may choose as well as every day life.
Ok place to work. Long hours.
Correctional Security Officer 3 (Current Employee) –  Stringtown, OKApril 7, 2018
Decent working environment. Leadership hands are tied. Frequent call-ins. Sometimes a lack of leadership. Long working hours. If you want overtime this place is for you.
incredible co-workers extremely hardworkers
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT I (Former Employee) –  Lexington, OKApril 3, 2018
Not enough credit for the job you do, very under staffed, not appreciated for the work you give. turn over is awful very stressful and depressing. The pay is awful the training is awful
Pros
my coworkers were awesome
Cons
management was horrible