Oklahoma Health Care Authority

4.3Pay & Benefits

Oklahoma Health Care Authority insights

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Fair pay for job
  • Energizing work tasks

Productive workplace

I wish that I could transfer this job to another state. I have nothing bad to say about working here . I have been working here for 6yrs with nothing but respect and great Directors . Reading reviews from others about their jobs, makes me never want to leave this job. It’s a scary work world out there, it can be hard to find great employment now days .

Pros

Flexibility, Pay, Benefits

Not a good experience.

Some departments were overloaded working long hours and treated badly, while other departments seemed happy and had time to cut up in the hall during the day and still go home on time. The pay was fair. My manager and coworkers were nice.Make sure to ask about the turnover rate if you interview. The answer should be a big clue.

Pros

Pay is fair, decent benefits. Most employees are really nice.

Cons

Stressful, long hours, highly political, unreasonable demands, little room for advancement, a few influential employees were very bad to deal with.

Sense of purpose and achievements.

I absolutely loved working at OHCA for the 10 years there. I loved the team of professionals I worked with. Professionalism throughout the agency. Professional training opportunities. Best workplace environment!

Pros

Annual and sick leave, comp time allowance in lieu of overtime.

Cons

State agency so no annual raises.

Flexible work schedule, great benefits

Stable work environment with opportunities for growth and advancement. Friendly staff. Flexible work schedules to accommodate the employee's needs. Tuition reimbursement for continuing education is another great benefit.

Pros

Telework opportunities, flexible work schedule, tuition reimbursement

Cons

No annual raises or bonuses

Good company great benefits

Best time off accrual. Great friendly low stress environment to work in. Opportunities to grow and move up here. Take advantage of the training they have available.

Share your experience

Let job seekers know what it's like to work at your company.

Nice place to work!

I enjoyed my position and co-workers. I had wanted to work here for many years, the salary is less than what I usually make but was in a position to take a lesser salary. It was a very nice place to work and was glad for the opportunity to work there.

Being a state employee provided benefits and holidays that would not have otherwise been possible

The management of the unit I worked in was the problem, but the agency overall was the typical state agency and was a great place to work with the benefits and flexibility provided. Although the pay could have been better, the on the job training was provided and sufficient to succeed in my position for years.

Fulfilling work

OHCA offers flexible work schedule, great state benefits, and fulfilling mission. OHCA workplace culture has taken a hit lately with inconsistent management decisions and tough political climate.

Pros

workout room, room for growth

Cons

management, salary freeze

Innovative Staff

The staff were very talented and creative which made OHCA a very innovative and exciting place to work. The compensation package was very good and the management looked for ways to help staff advance. There are some really rigid rules in place which sometimes prohibits advancement but overall a good place to work.

somewhat a nice place to work- the staff is fun

having alot of budget issues and funding with congress and the govenor. Its a good place to work and they help with tuition reimbursment for college students and they try to have things that include kids as well.

Pros

food trucks for staff

Cons

don't get paid enough and budget issues

prison environment..cubicle city stacked one on top of another

Most political working environment, decisions based completely on politics instead of the needs of the individuals receiving the services from the Health Care Authority. When the rest of the State Agencies are making budget cuts or doing furloughs, the OHCA is receiving raises. While there is a hiring freeze, they have a work around in place and are able to hire additional 'politically correct' friends to continue the work of cutting services to meet budget cuts

Pros

they have not discontinued the SoonerCare Program

Cons

working at the HealthCare Authority

Health organization with an internal gym.

The goal of the agency is to make sure any child who needs medical coverage in the state of Oklahoma receives it. I have learned that in order to make that happen, there must be constant writing of guidelines and policies that are presented to different group levels and eventually end up on the Governor's desk. They have committed professionals making decisions daily whether to approve or deny hundreds of claims and appeals. It is difficult to separate your personal feelings from the medically necessary component in some cases. They allow some employees to telecommute depending on the position. They work to balance employee's work and life.

Pros

Great benefits, telecommuting, casual Fridays, and food trucks provided.

Cons

Lack of communication of short term goals for the different units.

Top 10 Places to Work

Excellent atmosphere and culture. Flexible and diverse. Great benefits and people. Many opportunities and overall management is very intelligent. Over telework and AWS schedules.

Best place to work!

I look forward to coming to work everyday. Everyone is very pleasant and friendly. They show their appreciation for your hard work. Good benefits and other benefits.

Pros

good insurance.

Ohca

This is a great place to work flexible hours and good co-workers. The environment was conducive to learning and gaining experience about Medicaid. The benefits are a great aspect of working for the state.

Benefits

Cons

No 12hr shifts

Overall it was a good company to work for if you like to travel.

Immediate supervisor was great in my training. She was very competent in the computer programs. Case work load became overwhelming after 4 months. Team was very helpful in answering any questions. The hardest part of the job was learning the computer programs.

Pros

Insurance benefits, holiday time

Cons

case workload

Administrative Assistant

I loved the enviorment, I hated my direct boss. She was very un professional about other employees. but the benifits were amazing and the pay is also what i miss now.

Decent place to work

The OHCA gives one the option for variable work hours and days. It is a large, state government work environment. Some of the people are great to work with, others are not. It is no dissimilar from some private sector type employers.

Pros

Variable work schedules, number of holidays.

Cons

Government

Productive and fun workplace

Good place to work, friendly coworkers, good pay. hard to advance in career. no raises

Pros

Friendly co-workers

Cons

hard to advance

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Oklahoma Health Care Authority. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
3.0Personal Development
4.0Career Opportunities
4.5Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight