Oklahoma Military Department Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
HR Manager
HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJuly 13, 2018
This position is fast paced and requires sound judgement in all personnel related issues. The position has prepared me for public positions because of the strict adherence to state and federal labor laws but also the military laws and regulations.
Benefits
Cons
military requirement for position
Omd
Federal Technician/ Assistant Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Braggs, OKJune 7, 2018
The OMD has great benefits and a great work environment for the most part. I enjoyed working for OMD and traveled to some exotic places all in the service for this great country.
Low pay is offset by excellent benefits
Military Construction Consultant (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKOctober 18, 2017
Worked on a military base. Management changed
regularly causing a disjointed management style which caused employee morale to be inconsistent. The benefits and working conditions were better than at most places of employment.
Pros
employee benefits and four day work week
Cons
changes of leadership caused confusion
Productive professional military support organization
Supply Supervisor/Maintenance Mechanic Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Fort Sill, OKApril 3, 2017
I am responsible for supply support of a maintenance facility that maintains National Guard equipment for the State of Oklahoma. I have been a supervisor for almost 5 years and am considered a subject matter expert (SME) in the area of logistics. I have enjoyed the challenges associated with this experience, however I believe that I am ready for new and different challenges that this position can not fulfil.
Pros
Employees are dedicated to their craft
Cons
Limited growth potential
Thunderbird Youth Academy
Budget Officer and Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Pryor, OKNovember 9, 2016
Thunderbird Youth Academy is a valuable program that offers a chance for at risk youth to change their lives. Learning to look outside of the box in order to help youth hand their families is a huge reward. This program is under new management and now is beginning to rise to the top. Most of the staff work very well together, communicate and work together. I enjoyed working with both the staff at Thunderbird and Oklahoma Military Department as a Budget Officer and Supervisor to the Placement Department. This program grabs at your heart, whether your in the thick of working with the youth or on the outskirts; your heart get captured by the changes that are made.
Pros
Great Benefits, Co-workers
Cons
Compensated with Comp Time vs Money for overtime
Wonderful people to work with and learned something I had never done before.
Regional Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmond, OKSeptember 15, 2016
My work was very interesting and always changing. It involved worked with several other inter agencies with juvenile offenders that were released back into the community on GPS monitors. It was challenging and required critical thinking skills, and multi-tasking.

There was a lot of traveling involved as I was the Regional Manager over the Central/Western part of the State. I had satellite offices and inter-agencies that required visits on a regular basis to provide support, resolve issues, provide training or staff development, and meeting with District Supervisors from these agencies.

I had wonderful co-workers that worked with me as a team, from various areas of the military department. Learned a great deal of how the Military Department operates which included their disciplinary policies and procedures that were quite different than any I had used before.

The hardest part of my job was ensuring that I could supply needed equipment for my field officers in a vey short amount of time, as it may have been ordered by the Court that day,
Pros
Healthcare
Cons
Salary and Unclassified Position
Productive and rewarding.
Logistics Management Officer (TEMP) (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKFebruary 3, 2016
A typical day is filled with many challenges with the opportunity for great personal and group accomplishments in the end.

The opportunity to expand ones leadership potential through various situations.

Management strict but fair.

Co-workers have a strong personal investment in their areas of expertise.

The politics.

The most enjoyable part of the jobs is the people who work for me.
Pros
Manager of Freedom Fighters
Cons
Politics
Thick skin required
Civilian Employee (Current Employee) –  Braggs, OKMay 10, 2015
It's been educational. Thick skin required. Bring your own positive attitude, because this can be a negative, discouraging place to spend ten hours a day, four days a week. Because it's a military post, you get perks like a free 24-hour gym and free laundromat.
A productive and fun place to work
Contract Specialist/Systems Administrator (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMay 28, 2014
Wonderful place to work. The people in each office would always go out of their way to be of assistance to you to resolve issues.
Great work ethic, punctual, great with people, and great leadership abilities.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMay 13, 2014
I am recently retired from the military after 11 great years now ready to start my new life as a civilian.
Cold workplace; unfriendly.
Supervisory Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKDecember 18, 2013
This was a very responsible position, with the security police officers ensuring the safety and safety of multimillion military aircraft operated by the state Guard. I learned a lot about airport and military air operations and even civil support (firefighting) operations conducted by the Oklahoma Army National Guard aviation units.
Howver, management at the state and facility level were very unsupportive of us-- and our facility supervisor, a National Guard officer, plainly did not like us at all. Many of the Guard members were unfriendly to us.
Pros
I got to know pilots, others; able to take off from work a lot on comp time.
Cons
Too much solitude. Not enough security personnel.