Okmulgee County Criminal Justice Authority

Okmulgee County Criminal Justice Authority Employee Reviews

Repetitive, hostile work environment, poor communication, poor management, good pay, and good benefits.
This job is not for everyone. If you can handle being understaffed in a hostile work environment for a 12 hour shift while constantly getting criticized by management and co-workers, this may be what you're looking for. With that being said, the OCCJA definitely offers a very competitive pay and benefit plan. I would recommend this job to someone with security, police, or military experience.
Thankful for the experience and Professional Growth
Work as a team, no matter your title, rank or department. Rules and Laws are in place for a Reason. Communication is Vital to maintain safety and respect among employees and detained individuals. Have your officers backs, and they will have yours. You can be kind and also respected. You can be empathetic while also maintaining professionalism.
Decent place to work
Decent place to work with a fair wage , somewhat fair promotional opportunities, safe if job is done correctly, must remain vigilent and never become careless
Pros
Steady income, Job security, Long weekends
Cons
Decent training at best
Run
Run !!!! management don't care at all how you are treated you ask them for help they ignore you I Loved my Job but Not Management if they friends with you then you can do anything and are able to treat people unfairly and they just sit there.
Terrible Managment
terrible people running the facilities, none of the supervisors care about there employees. they just want to look good to the even higher people. not consistent or equal with there punishments. suuuper biased with people they ;ike and unfare with the people they dont.
Care to share?
Help people considering your employer. Share your experience.
I absolutely loved working here. The training was the hardest thing I've ever gone through for a job but totally worth it. The guys who conduct the training are great at what they do. Many times I wanted to give up and quit but they pushed me to finish and it gave me back my sense of self worth that had been taken away from me. I am grateful to have gotten the chance to experience this line of work. I had to quit due to reasons out of my control but If I could go back I would. It was without question the best job I've ever had. BTW you do get breaks as long as you're doing your job and things are not crazy busy.
Pros
Great training Great people to work with Awesome pay
Be Careful
Many employees were fired for questioning the immoral actions of the management staff. If the officer had been their long enough to be liked/respected by any inmates they were then accused of smuggling in drugs or cell phones.
Pros
Cons
no breaks, lack of management
The worst management I've ever experienced. Sheriff's dept. needs to take over
Hostile work environment. Employees have no one to report mistreatment to. Discrimination on OT. OT and comp time are not paid as to labor board laws.
Pros
You can count on being more disrespected by management than the inmates.
Cons
No breaks, can't refuse to work over, questionable holiday work hours and pay
Truly unprofessional, an absolute joke
OCCJA is probably the worst place I've ever worked. The jail is managed terribly, the management treats you like garbage, and many of their policies seem to be in place specifically to keep attrition as high as possible (such as their policy that you can't bring food or drinks to work, a terrible policy made worse by the fact that they often don't let you take a break for your whole shift, so you're stuck constantly working for 12 straight hours with no food or water). In a conversation I had with a supervisor, he told me on no uncertain terms that the reason for the high attrition was because it's cheaper to train new officers than it is to pay them their benefits, so they intentionally keep attrition as high as possible so officers will leave before they qualify for benefits at 6 months.

They also routinely ask you to stay past your shift, and if you ask to get paid for it, they'll laugh in your face and treat you like a snowflake just for asking.

Find a different job. If you don't, considering how high the turnover is, you'll almost definitely wish you had.
Pros
You get maced every other month or so during a riot.
Cons
You get to work somewhere extremely unsafe, unclean, and decrepit, you're underpaid, and you're treated horribly by everyone in management
Unsafe, lack of leadership
OCCJA is a joke, the same people have been running that place for years and are not up to the industry standards. The pay is laughable and they treat the inmates like they are already guilty. If you can handle being threatened on a daily basis by the inmates and having your job threatened by your boss than it might be the right place for you.
It's a great place to work
It's a great place to work. I know the initial reaction to working in a jail is to be scared. But you have good guards, and once you get past the misconceptions, you find that there is nothing to be scared of.