Old Dominion Freight Line Employee Reviews

Training was thorough and a very good place to work
SVC Operations Clerk / Customer Service Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 22, 2018
This was a busy office, but there were times when you had a chance to breathe.

I learned a lot about the trucking industry, things that I did not know and people were willing to teach.

Management was a little stressful because they were always thinking about the bottom line,

The hardest part of the job was finding new customers and keeping them. Letting them know that our prices maybe higher but our service was great.

Working with the truck drivers and managers,
Pros
Very good work environment
Cons
Times when work was overwhelming.
No backing
MANAGER, SALES AND SERVICES (Current Employee) –  Erie, PAMay 22, 2018
You are pretty much under the gun of what the drivers "perception" of you is. If there is one bad driver, that is enough to rally the troops against management to get you out. Pretty much have to do what the drivers say or they can call corp and complain. Enough calls and you are out.
Pros
good pay
Cons
Management is very expendable.
If you love a fast paced job with many challenges,old dominion is for you!
Dock worker (Current Employee) –  Rialto, CAMay 16, 2018
I have been part of the RTO team for almost 4 years.I love my job and my Coworkers, if you can get along with others and help others I recommend working at Old Dominion. Benefits are decent here and salaries are average as well. Summer time is busy with lots of OT! I hear a lot of lack of job security here but it is up to you if you want to keep this job, all I can say if be honest, be ready, work hard, don’t get to comfortable, be on time be productive and don’t call off if you don’t have vacation or sick days be drug free and don’t slack off and you will have a job 😬.respect others & humble.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Supervisors need to respect employees more
productive and hard work
Forklift Driver (Former Employee) –  Carson, CAMay 16, 2018
this job is a place where you don't have a time to go in and get to go home. its a hard job because you have a lot of eyes on you. people expect for you to know things with out you knowing them.
Excellent LTL Company
OTR Team Company Driver (Former Employee) –  Conley, GAMay 11, 2018
I highly recommended ODFL to anyone who is looking to drive for an employer that takes excellent care of its employees. As a driver, I was always treated with respect and allowed to complete my job with both safe equipment and any assistance I required to perform it safely and complete my runs in a timely manner.
Fast pace
Dock Worker (Current Employee) –  Garland, TXMay 10, 2018
Good place to work best paying job I had you can work on your own with no one on your back benefits are great I will never quit until I retire at old dominion you fired your self
Good Job
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Richland, MSMay 9, 2018
Old Dominion is a beautiful job to have significant benefits. Have appropriate management with excellent communication, excellent pay and home time. Old Dominion has great equipment
Growing company
Confidential (Current Employee) –  Carlisle, PAApril 27, 2018
Old Dominion is a growing company that is actively hiring for drivers and dockworkers. While OD claims to be a family-oriented company, upper management is not visible and manages from afar.
Odfl
Driver/Loader (Former Employee) –  Eighty Four, PAApril 26, 2018
Not a bad place to work. The pay is great even though there is no overtime pay. The benefits are lacking and the work life balance is non-existent. The supposedly recognize I believe 7 holidays, but you are still on call.
productive and high-paced environment
Terminal Operator/Dock Worker (Former Employee) –  Pittston, PAApril 18, 2018
Overall great company to work for. Free meals, great management to work with. Long hours but no overtime. Pays good to start. Good benefits too. Flawed productivity system though.
Pros
Free meals occasionally
Cons
only one break. long hours but no overtime pay.
overworked
Dock Worker (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAApril 16, 2018
you work more than 60 hours per week no overtime is paid, you are expected to do more than 12 hours per day with only one 30 min break not paid, management is worthless they always change things to their convenience.
Pros
good pay
Cons
not being paid for overtime, management
Good company to work for, poor management
Yard Jockey (Former Employee) –  Carlisle, PAApril 11, 2018
My review of Old Dominion Freight Line is overall it is a great company to work for. The specific terminal location I worked at the management was not very professional and there wasn't much room for advancement. I don't want to make it sound like they are a bad company at all because I still recommend friends to try to get in there. I just suggest if they are willing to move and transfer that they should because of the management at the Harrisburg terminal was very unprofessional.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Awesome place to work and great co-worker. Management is cool and laid back just go to work on time and what’s expected of you and you’ll be good!!
Driver/Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Glenville, NYApril 10, 2018
Love working with Old Dominion pay is exceptional great for your position. Terminal manager and office are easy to get along with all the staff is pretty much laid back and easy to work with.
Pros
Every thing
Cons
I haven’t had any
Truck driving program
Combo driver (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 10, 2018
This company offers a truck driver program from the dockto drive. It's a joke, I went thru it a couple months ago and work the dock most of the time.
Pros
It's a job and pays good.
Cons
Horrible work schedules, lied about the driving program
Worst place ever to work for.
Line Haul Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Neenah, WIApril 8, 2018
Was hired on. Did 2 days of training and was told that they didn't have work for me. Better off going to Dayton, R+L Carriers or Estes.I wouldn't recommend working for this company to anyone. Just keep in mind if you choose to do so. Just remember that you were warned.
Pros
Nothing.
Cons
Everything.
Nice place to have a part time job
Certified Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILApril 2, 2018
I worked at OD for two years as a forklift operator while attending college. I made enough money while I was there and the work hours were flexible. i had to leave eventually though because my transfer college was too far of a driving distance.
Great
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Brownsburg, INApril 2, 2018
Great place to work. Very caring and family oriented
Flexible with schedule
It’s just great. Pay great. People are great. Open door policy. Very caring ltl company. Advancement opportunities
Pros
Atmosphere awesome
Cons
Fun place to work easy going and understanding
Dock Associate (Current Employee) –  Schenectady, NYMarch 31, 2018
Great job environment. Safety is number one. And amazing managers. They start you out at great pay and give you raises every year. They offer great opportunities and recognize the best workers.
Pros
Good money
Cons
Do not work for this company!!!!!!!!!!!
Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 27, 2018
They are scumbags! Their driver hit me and they refuse to pay my damages and they did not back their driver! Beware! Horrible human beings at this company. They will do anything to get out of having to take care of their employees and pay for their wrongs and they will fire you and not support you if you are in an accident, even if you are not at fault.
Busy
Material Handler/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 27, 2018
Busy fast paced run run run you would have weight quotas n if you made quota you just keep pushin at end of day they would have postedall the time 1 more trailor befoere you can leave
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Sorry company

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Old Dominion Freight Line. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.2

1.8Personal Development

2.9Career Opportunities

2.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight