Old Dominion Freight Line Employee Reviews

great place to work if your white
Dock Worker (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJuly 14, 2018
Very Prejudice company to work for they claim everyone is a big happy family. Not the best place at all to work if you are a black person they treat you like s The management is all cutthroat and not professional at all. If you are a white person looking to be a dock worker or driver good place for you to be.
Pros
having a job
Cons
being black
Treeted very well! I
Part time driver (Current Employee) –  South Bend, INJuly 13, 2018
I am a part time worker who is very happy with the company,they treat me very well! Work when I can and pick my own hours some weeks one day some weeks three days !
good place enjoyed my time here
Dock Hand/Lead (Former Employee) –  Garland, TXJuly 11, 2018
good place to work, lot to learn, new management started pushing harder on productivity and started to make employee scared of losing job, Even with this I still enjoyed my time here, Biggest con is the over time doesn't start until after 60hr, Lots of great people to work with great opportunity
Pros
good pay good people
Cons
new management pushing hard on employees - no over time till after 60hr
not a very good company to work for
Dock Worker/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJuly 9, 2018
Not a very friendly family company to work for it took me three years to get a full time schedule while everybody that was hired after me was offered full time schedules after thirty days some moved immediately to supervisor and lead positions but only if you were in with management or other supervisors
Pros
decent benefits
Cons
stressful, and one sided, when it came to picking and choosing who gets what manifest, if friends with management or a favorite you got good trailers, if not in with management you would receive manifests of trashed trailers, or tires all-day.
Great place to work it more like a family.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 7, 2018
The drivers were always pleasant to me ,I helped them when they called in with issues. The office staff was also good and we all helped each other. The time I was there was good.
Pros
Everything about the job was great.
Cons
Keeping up with the pace.
Interesting place to work.
IT Application Testing Analyst (Current Employee) –  Thomasville, NCJuly 4, 2018
They took away work from home, forcing employees, contractors, and vendors to drive 30 minutes to 2 hours to and from work five days a week. Like any place of work some are very happy there and other people are not. You will learn a lot given that most employees wear several hats.
Pros
Every employee gets a day off for their birthday, management has open door policy
Cons
Required 1 hour lunch break, no more work from home
Easy place to work
Trailer mechanic (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 3, 2018
While I was there it was a laid back place. Only if the manager liked you.I was at the dallas location and made 2 simple mistakes that were caught and no damage was done but was let go anyways. Manager sits in his office all day and doesn't know what's going on in the shop area. Got a few people who like to run and cry to supervisors to help get you written up. And if you have family in higher up then your untouchable no matter how bad you are at your job
Pros
Good pay, good benefits, yearly raises
Cons
Management, always working weekends
Productive place to work at
DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXJuly 2, 2018
Old Dominion was a very good place to work at. Unfortunately I was let go for a minor accident and no longer work here. I would drive a double at 9pm and would arrive around 8am or so. I would drop and hook and at times I would need to create new sets.
love this place
Dockworker (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 2, 2018
Old Dominion gave me several opportunities, showed me appreciation for my work, and has great benefits. There isn't enough i can say about Old Dominion i love it.
Pros
pay, people, benefits
Cons
hard to move up in the company
No longer family ran
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  White Pine, TNJuly 1, 2018
Each service center is ran like an individual company. In my opinion the most important thing corporate office cares about is the operating ratio, bottom line numbers, and attendance. Moral, working conditions, personal issues, and several other issues go unnoticed. The largest service center requires the workers to work 55+ hours without overtime and made to come in on an extra day. Attention has been sent to the manager, human resources, and regional VP by numerous current (and past) employees without any response. Hourly pay is very good but would advise not to go into a salaried position with ODFL as the people you supervise will be at a higher pay rate. Hardest part has to be the constant pressure faced in making all the goals and amount of tonnage. ODFL will help get your CDL's if wanted.
Pros
Pay, in house CDL training, discounts with numerous companies.
Cons
no overtime until after 60 hours, schedule, strict policies, zero understanding on issues outside of work
Job was great until I needed FMLA and was denied and wrongfully terminated.
P&D driver (Former Employee) –  South Windsor, CTJune 30, 2018
Job was great until I needed FMLA and was denied and wrongfully terminated. supervisor talked down to me because my start time was changed and he got upset when I became a driver and was told not to clock in until my scheduled start time.
Pros
Great Pay
Cons
Treated very poorly by management. Supervisor and the terminal manager was very rude and nasty.
Worked in the shop
Truck and Trailer Technician (Former Employee) –  Commerce City, COJune 27, 2018
Horrible management, the people there are back stabbers and will try at anything to get you in trouble, it's like a big game to them. If you like micro management this is the place for you.
Pros
Nice shop
Cons
Worst management
Good benefits
Utility Driver (Former Employee) –  Chester, OHJune 27, 2018
Good place to work. Excellent salary and benefits. Treats the workers good. Job advancement is good. Enjoyed my co-workers, they were like your 2nd family
Pros
Great pay
Cons
growing problems, but got thruogh it
busy place
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Commerce City, COJune 26, 2018
new progressive work place, Don't allow or accept old school work habits. A lot of childish games, They set people up to fail. They need to pay attention to the drivers and keep the drivers on a set schedule and rout,
Pros
great pay and benenfits
Cons
dispatch needed new management
great company if you are a driver but not for office support
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  West Columbia, SCJune 21, 2018
Great company for drivers. Office support at the location I worked in was not a pleasant experience. There is no support for lower level employees only for upper management. Management was not supportive.
Great work environment.
LINE HAUL SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Forest View, ILJune 20, 2018
A typical day at work was to was to set up drivers on the line haul board, making sure the dock supervisors got their loads closed on time or the schedules. I learned leadership skills well as being the best supervisor possible. Management was very understanding. Hardest part of the job was being at my workstation for 12 hours with no breaks. Most enjoyable part was the respect the drivers had for me.
Pros
7 days on 7 days off. Great work environment.
Cons
No breaks
Money
Dock Worker/Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Conley, GAJune 18, 2018
Pays great, but youll have to work 48 a week as full time, more ppl seemed to be part time tho, the turn over rate is high too, its a production based job
Pros
Money
Cons
over all good company to work for
Line Haul Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 12, 2018
My position as Line Haul dispatcher, was a 7 days on, 7 days off schedule. Very fast paced. Enjoyed the drivers that I worked with. Over all loved my job, and schedule.
Great place
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Conover, NCMay 30, 2018
Geat place to work, team and family atmosphere . Company takes care of there employees the best they can as they grow yearly.The best trucking company to work for and have a career with.
great job
P and D driver,loader,and yard spotter (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 30, 2018
This is a great place to work as long as you dont make any mistakes. If you do make a mistake you may be fired immediately. This job has great benefits and tons of room for self growth.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Old Dominion Freight Line. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.2InHerSight Score

1.8Personal Development

2.9Career Opportunities

2.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight