Old Dominion Security Employee Reviews

Very selective
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAApril 16, 2018
Depending on your location of work you could be moving constantly to sitting stationary. The uniform is not the best for summer weather nor quite heavy enough for winter weather.
Pros
easy to learn many positions and good starter for entry to security
Cons
no real advancement, low pay
a mess
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Stafford, VAMarch 29, 2018
The company was alright to work for when I first started but thee rules kept changing and then they started bring new people the old ones and got rid of t
Pros
job
Cons
company
Fun environment to be apart of in the Security Field.
SECURITY SUPERVISOR/MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 27, 2018
Old Dominion allowed everyone to grow with the company. I was able to learn a lot through the different seminars and training events. Management was not a micro-manager. The environment was like family.
Pros
Fun environment
Cons
Corporate Office was out of state (Virginia)
Worked in the Hampton Roads FoodLions
Armed Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAMarch 24, 2018
FIred from this position when I caught a Manager stealing. Company chose contract over employee. Company chooses to pick and choose as it sees fit who it promotes and who it calls in for extra shifts. If you decline a single shift you are black balled for months. It doesn't matter why.
Pros
they pay you for your time
Cons
they don't pay enough for your time
Decent Company
Client Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAMarch 23, 2018
Decent company to work for but the management at the time had internal issues and challenges. Contracts were great for entry level type of officers looking to get into the security field.
Pros
Casual Atmosphere
Cons
No room for officer development
Good Company to work for...
Site Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 17, 2018
Something different everyday never a dull moment with this company just needs more oppurtunity to grow and advance in your work field , needs to have more local work sites available to work at...
Pros
Good Hours
Cons
Weekends/ short handed on relief workers
Security guard
Security Officer (Full-time) (Former Employee) –  Hampton, VAOctober 3, 2017
My role is to monitor coliseum crossing area some of the duties was to check each store and be visible
And watch for panhandler and notify police if panhandler do not leave premises go in to store and walk around and monitor all people and watch all vehicles enter and leave.
Pros
No freelunch
Cons
Short breaks
A Workday
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCSeptember 28, 2017
A typical workday consist of greeting visitors, patients, and some staff with a positive attitude and spirit. There can be tension amongst the staff and some visitors, but it's not something so big that it can't be tolerated and managed. Working in a hospital, you witness various emotions, happy and sad. The hardest part of my job is trying to comfort someone who is depressed or have loss a loved one. At times, you say nothing, you can just offer a hug or a listening ear. The most enjoyable part of my job is just simply being present and having visitors or staff recognize your hard work by acknowledging you publicly` or gifting you.
Pros
Free smiles, lunch breaks
Cons
Lack of respect from management and some staff
Nice work enviornment
Public Safety Officer (Former Employee) –  Burlington, NCSeptember 18, 2017
Nice staff, a very good entry level job. Hours were flexible, although your lunch was never a set time therefore if there was a security alert on your break you had to respond.
Pros
Great enviornment
Cons
No set breaks
Vesitility in work assigmnts
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 31, 2017
Employment opportunities were at various locations therefore providing different scenery. The ability work different assignments enhanced the overall experience.
Pros
Consistent work oppertunity
Cons
limited growth oppertunities.
good place where I made long lasting friendship but poor management
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Falls Church, VAJune 29, 2017
The people that work there are below sub par. They hired anybody of the street, management was focus on firing the productive officers and keeping the officers that didn't deserve to be there. There is lack of training.
Pros
the older coworkers make it a family orentated job
Cons
management
fun
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Stafford, VAJune 18, 2017
It is ok to work there in that type of atmosphere if you like it but it takes a like of getting use too it has a high turn over rate i am not sure why but its a job.
easy work place
securiy gaurd (Current Employee) –  Chester, VAApril 12, 2017
very easy job but the downside is management. you will never see or hear from them, if you need something don't count on them. Not very much room to grow either
Pros
easy
Cons
pay
Good Job
Security Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 5, 2017
I enjoyed the job, I was able to assist people with issues within the hospital. My boss was a very respectful and helpful person . I learn how to deal with the public in a positive way no matter what the issue was
Completely Unarmed
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Leesburg, VAMarch 29, 2017
I worked in a building where there was a psychiatric unit and security was called quite often. There were several instances in which non-lethal weapons would have protected us but we were not issued or allowed them at this company despite making less pay. However, I gained experience under severe pressure circumstances.
Fun atmosphere
Security Officer (part-time) (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAMarch 22, 2017
A typical day of mine at ODS was patrolling the halls of the units at this psychiatric hospital, processing valuables that were given to the staff from the patients when they were being admitted and allowing vistors back on the units to visit the patients. I learned how to become a security officer that could be stern and still care about the patients. I sometimes wish the management could be better at giving directions to their staff but they were doing their best. I would say the hardest part of my job was that I cared too much for the patients. I loved dealing with vistors coming in to visit their loved ones who were on the units, seeing a smile on their face when the visitors came to visit was the best feeling I've ever had.
Pros
Free Drinks
Cons
Cant care for the patients
Horrible place
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  WvMarch 17, 2017
This is the most unworthy and untrusted company any one can work for the manger himself is a complete joke as well as staff and there is no getting in trouble for calling off being on company property. Just plain horrible place to work for
Very unorganized company
Security Site Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 17, 2017
Communication is the biggest issue with this company. Pay is slightly above average for contract security. I spent over a year working more than 70 hours a week just to cover shifts at my site while management did nothing but complain about overtime and did not interviews to attempt to cover the open shifts.
Moving on
Site Security Manager (Current Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAMarch 9, 2017
ODS is a good place to work but its a contract that was just acquired by US Associates, I love working with the staff. most of the staff are looking to move on due to the changes and the culture they bring.
Awesome place to work!
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VA 23230December 28, 2016
Personally, I love this job! Its great if you're looking for easy work and decent pay. They will pay for your DCJS certification. The management is great to work with. Very friendly atmosphere!
Pros
Laid-back, steady schedule, opritunities to get overtime
Cons
sometimes high-risk, physically involved