Old Dominion University Employee Reviews

Working the 3rd Shift isn't as bad as you may think!
Facilities Management Specialist (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAOctober 20, 2018
Working the night shift can be intimidating, but, it can also be fun. My typical night can be simple, or it can be a bit challenging depending on the situation I encounter, but I do my job through planning and execution. I have learned quite a bit since my employment here such as: Time Management, Equipment Usage, etc. I am extremely proud of our management team. They have stepped up in certain situations, and also, stepped back and let us workers sort out issues on our own. The workplace environment is typical. The hardest part of my job is working short handed which can also be an enjoyable situation due to teamwork and having a crew who gets the job done but also have fun in the process!
Pros
Benefits!, Job Security, etc..
Cons
Short lunch breaks
Not great but better than others, It's what you make of it.
Patrol Sergeant (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 31, 2018
Work started by briefing the patrol officers. What I learned is how to watch your back and engage your officers. Management is very divided which creates a uncertain work environment. The work place culture breeds off a place suit for young officers who don't really want to engage in police but carry a badge and a gun. The hardest part of the job is getting to work. The most enjoyable part of the job is the interaction with the employees and the campus community.
Pros
1 free college course a semester, overtime
Cons
compensation
Laid Back Environment
ITS (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 14, 2018
I've been working at ODU several years now and I love the job security and comfortable environment. I do worry that I am somewhat "stagnated" in my current position and would like to have more room for advancement and personal growth. Training opportunities are minimal due to state budget, but tuition assistance and having access to the classes taught on campus is a huge perk.
Pros
laid back, good benefits, stability
Cons
mundane day to day tasks, little room for advancement in current position
Good
Janitorial (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 19, 2018
This is a good company to work for. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a long term position. It has excellent benefits. Also excellent advancement opportunities.
Pros
overtime hopurs
Cons
night shift
Educational and productive for advancement in career.
Program Administration manager I (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 22, 2018
Old Dominion University is a rewarding an excellent place to work advancement in any position. The Environment, working well with a variety of people and staff was very rewarding. I miss the interaction and daily rapport I had with wonderful people that I met each day. And, if an hourly position became available would welcome to return at work again working for Old Dominion University.
Fun and informative
Intern (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 11, 2018
The work days consisted of a lot changes from day to day. I learned the inner workings of a computer, and what the Engineering Program at Old Dominion consisted of. The management team was knowledgeable and approachable. The culture was great and was very diverse. The most enjoyable part of the job was everything I learned.
Pros
I learned a lot
Cons
The program didn't last long.
Great independent part-time opportunities for academics
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJanuary 10, 2018
I'm currently an adjunct instructor at ODU. It's a great way for me to use my Communications degrees and stay involved in the culture at ODU (I'm an alumni). Ultimately I'd prefer that there were more opportunities for full-time positions (which would include benefits), but this allows me to keep my foot in the door and be aware of those opportunities as they become available.
Pros
Flexible scheduling, wonderful coworkers, a lot of independence
Cons
No benefits, not enough opportunity for advancement
Working with students and other coaches was very enjoyable
ASSOCIATE HEAD COACH (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VASeptember 10, 2018
We were in the office in the morning to do paper work and planning for the afternoon training session or games
I learned how to recruit players from around the world that fit the culture at the University.
Workplace culture was very laid back
Most enjoyable part of the job was the actual games we played against other Universities.
Hardest Part of the Job
Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VANovember 5, 2018
Workload is heavy, with a need to take work home. Student engagement is the best part of working at ODU. However, there is very little room for advancement in my department.
Pros
Student engagement
Cons
Workload
Management is not good
Help Desk Technician (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 14, 2018
Management in some IT areas could really use some work. Managing is more than just having certifications. Need to be personable and a leader. Hardly ever get a "thank you", and in an area where people are continuously frustrates, a "thank you" can go a long way.
ODU Concessions
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 13, 2018
I performed multiple volunteer events at Old Dominion as a concessionaire.

These events took place selling food and beverages to customers at football, basketball, and soccer games on campus.

Was not officially paid, yet we were allowed to keep tips.
Pros
Good on resume
Cons
No compensation, Specific schedule
Socials and Gatherings
INSTRUCTIONAL DESIGNER (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJanuary 11, 2018
A typical work day is sitting behind a computer working, answering emails, scheduling meeting, etc.
I have learned how to listen to the client, be innovative with new strategies in course development, meet deadlines, prioritize, time management, and many other credible learning experiences.
Management tends to be disconnected at times. Upper management is more disconnected.
Workplace culture is excellent. Great people to work with.
The hardest part of the job would be managing the many projects assigned when they all have the same deadline.
The most enjoyable are the people with whom I work with.
Nothing special
IT (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAFebruary 10, 2018
They really don't treat their student workers that well. Lots of management ego tripping here. On the plus side, difficult to get fired. You could probably do nothing all day, and still keep your job.
Pros
A paycheck
Cons
No benefits and low pay
collaborative, technology joyous and student success driven
Information Technology/ MEDIA SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VANovember 14, 2018
A typical day starts with a full analysis of broadcast systems, network systems and resolving trouble reports from the night before. Next meet with team members to go over scheduled broadcast and end users connection points.
Pros
nice work environment, long holiday break, great opportunities for growth
Cons
dead line stress, long work days and
volunteer with them
IT Specialist (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 15, 2018
I volunteer with the IT department at Old Dominion University. There are nice and very welcoming. I spent with them time. I learnt from them. The management are great. helpful and supportive
Relaxed environment and love my team
ODU Safe Ride Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMarch 31, 2018
A typical day can be calm with good conversation and easy flow or extremely busy and frustration but have a good team to work through the issues. Management is easy to talk to about issues or concerns. The hardest part of the job would be dealing with irate students so you diffidently need to have patience. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people I work with has become a work family. I enjoy working with my team with makes my job awesome.
Pros
the people I work with
Cons
that we operate just during the school year
ok
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VASeptember 4, 2018
Responsible for properly enforcing the laws and regulations of the campus. Duties include: patrolling the grounds and designated perimeter; investigating complaints, accidents, and alleged crimes; and transporting prisoners. Police crowd behavior at athletic events, parades, dances, and other gatherings on campus. Direct traffic, checks for parking violations, writes citations for offenders. Complete initial investigation and prepares reports of traffic accidents and crimes committed on campus.
A productive well supplied and organized place
LIFEGUARD (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAOctober 2, 2018
A typical day of work would include an easy employee's entrance to the workplace. Clock in next to the lockers. Change and relieve the guard on duty or open the pool. I learned that having a system of coming in to do tasks assigned for each shift is efficient and quicker.
Pros
Flexible hours, repeating everyday tasks
Cons
Sitting for long periods of time, monotonous activity, uncomfortable inside conditions
Good benefits and work culture in most departments
Budget Manager (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 18, 2018
Tuition reimbursement is major and health for family. Time off over the holidays is a plus. Workplace culture is mostly relaxed and the students are the best part of the job.
Challenging teaching assistantship but worth it
GRADUATE TEACHING ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 8, 2018
Having to teach a group of 15 undergraduate students at a time was certainly a challenge in the beginning but extremely rewarding by the end of the experience. Effective communication, leadership, and group management are just some of the skills that I developed with this position.
Pros
Movement-based course
Cons
Time management is a must