Old Dominion University Employee Reviews

Decent Pay, Tiring Job
SafeRide Driver (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VA 23529March 18, 2019
SafeRide isn't a bad job, you just have to be mindful of that you can handle in terms of overnight working. It can be very beneficial if you're still a student but if you work another job YOU WILL BE EXHAUSTED. You meet a lot of new people and most are really nice. The work environment is pretty cool. Its kind of like a family at times. It pays well for a starting job.
Pros
Pays Well, Nice people, pretty cool management
Cons
long hours, overnight, no regular sleep schedule
Great for Work Study
Research Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMarch 3, 2019
This was a work study position while I was going to ODU so it was limited in hours. I enjoyed my time there and learned a lot. I left because I graduated college and received a full-time position.
Great place to work.
Fiscal Technician (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAFebruary 22, 2019
I worked there three different times in the same department. I had to leave for various reasons, but I always found my way back. I made long lasting friendships and it was a pleasure to work as a team.
Pros
Great atmosphere.
Great opportunity
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAFebruary 12, 2019
Loved this job. the staff was amazing, had time to do homework, learned quite a bit, and had fun while doing so. it allowed a lot of freedom.I would definitely work here again.
Stressful and poorly managed work place
HVAC Technician III (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAFebruary 11, 2019
Very stressful place to work. Not enough man power. Unreasonable expectations of job responsibilities. Job advancement very limited. Hiring supervisors to young.
Pros
Some free lunches, good benefits, they pay for some training and reimburst for other training.
Cons
Essential personell called in for inclimate weather such as snow storms and hurricanes.
Good place
Student Recreation Center Manager (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAFebruary 6, 2019
Nice place to work while going to school. wont make a lot of money and cant work alot of hours but the job is good for some pocket change and meeting people.
SGA treasurer
SGA Treasurer (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJanuary 27, 2019
Working as student government treasurer was exciting. I was able to manage over $70,000 dollars and I kept record and spreadsheet of all transactions related to that budget. I also helped oversee a larger student organization budget of over $850,000 dollars that was distributed to around 300 student organizations at Old Dominion University.
Pros
Stipend
Quality of Work Life
Director (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJanuary 22, 2019
ODU makes every attempt to have a quality of life for employees while at work. They have programs that award staff and faculty when they've done an outstanding job!
Face Paced Environment
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJanuary 21, 2019
I learned how to multi-task which is a requirement in our department. There is an openness to learning to fundraise, annual giving, and gift planning. The hardest part of the job comes during high fundraising times where the volume of work is greater than the allowed hours of work. The workplace culture can be somewhat stressful and there are many times where the employee must find solutions on their own. Attention to detail is a must in this line of work.
Pros
Excellent benefits and job security
Cons
limited salary
Exactly needed for student
FIELD ASSISTANT/STUDENT RESEARCHER (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJanuary 21, 2019
ODU provides a student working program for freshman and sophmore students. Also is accompanied with a 1 credit class that will teach basic skills like building a resume, typical interviews, workplace behavior, etc.
Pros
Good experience for those without it
Cons
odd placement for different majors
It was ok
Janitor (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VADecember 21, 2018
It was ok the ppl was friendly they just didn't have enough worker's some of the time I may have to do three buildings n six hours n they said the was going to make me a 8 hour worker but they never did . .
Pros
Cons
Worked at ur pace
Fun place to work
Virginia CubeSAT Constellation Team Member (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VADecember 21, 2018
Good job for students who want to have a part time job in college. Also good for students who like sports. Good hours and good for meeting new people.
Pros
Hours
Cons
Participants
Productive and collaborative work area
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VANovember 20, 2018
ODU Perry library is very convenient and organized place. Working there helped me how to be more patient and gave me more experience in communication skills.
collaborative, technology joyous and student success driven
Information Technology/ MEDIA SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Hampton, VANovember 14, 2018
A typical day starts with a full analysis of broadcast systems, network systems and resolving trouble reports from the night before. Next meet with team members to go over scheduled broadcast and end users connection points.
Pros
nice work environment, long holiday break, great opportunities for growth
Cons
dead line stress, long work days and
This was a college job
Intramural Official (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VANovember 9, 2018
I got this job while i was a freshman in college and kept it until I graduated. Would definitely recommend to anybody interested in sports and looking to make some spending money and make some friends.
The students love it but the staff is miserable
Residence Hall Director (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VANovember 6, 2018
Poor leadership at the director & above levels leads to poor moral & a lack of enthusiasm among staff. Entry level folks are not given opportunities to advocate for their students.
Pros
Free Housing
Cons
over 50 hour work weeks
Hardest Part of the Job
Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VANovember 5, 2018
Workload is heavy, with a need to take work home. Student engagement is the best part of working at ODU. However, there is very little room for advancement in my department.
Pros
Student engagement
Cons
Workload
It's a warm welcoming place for diversity
Practicum Student (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAOctober 30, 2018
Old Dominion University is a great place for international students, and I personally really enjoy its diversity. It's very warm welcoming and supportive. I was able to get a lot of hands-on experience in teaching ESL students from different backgrounds.
Working the 3rd Shift isn't as bad as you may think!
Facilities Management Specialist (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAOctober 20, 2018
Working the night shift can be intimidating, but, it can also be fun. My typical night can be simple, or it can be a bit challenging depending on the situation I encounter, but I do my job through planning and execution. I have learned quite a bit since my employment here such as: Time Management, Equipment Usage, etc. I am extremely proud of our management team. They have stepped up in certain situations, and also, stepped back and let us workers sort out issues on our own. The workplace environment is typical. The hardest part of my job is working short handed which can also be an enjoyable situation due to teamwork and having a crew who gets the job done but also have fun in the process!
Pros
Benefits!, Job Security, etc..
Cons
Short lunch breaks
Nice Good.
Graduate Teaching Assistant (GTA) (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAOctober 10, 2018
It's a good school in Virginia to study and research hard. I am studying here as a Ph.D. candidate. I am very satisfying with this program provided by ODU.