Old Dominion University Employee Reviews

volunteer with them
IT Specialist (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 15, 2018
I volunteer with the IT department at Old Dominion University. There are nice and very welcoming. I spent with them time. I learnt from them. The management are great. helpful and supportive
Great school job
NIGHT DESK RECEPTIONST (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 10, 2018
I worked there while employed during school. I made decent money as a college student so I cannot complain. The management was great and they give you the opportunity to grow as well.
Relaxed and workable enviroment
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 29, 2018
Every day at the card center is the same , I learned how to better my customer service and handle money. The hardest part of the job is meal plans. Most enjoyable is the different locations we get to set up and work.
Pros
Lunch, flexiable hours
Cons
Minimum pay, not a lot of hours
differrent regions to explore
Cook (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 27, 2018
come in the morning and prep for lunch if not prep day before. come in at 8:00 am prep cook lunch done by 10:45am. While lunch being served buffet style I prep for dinner. Dinner crew in at 2:30pm.Dinner at 4:00pm. Hardest part of the job is gathering your ingredients, something always missing.Learning to examing different recipes and correcting others
Pros
free lunch
Cons
never having what I need for a recipe
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 26, 2018
Fun place to work and would go back. very moderate workload but always moving around and being in communication with customers. also fun being near a college campus
Good benefits and work culture in most departments
Budget Manager (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 18, 2018
Tuition reimbursement is major and health for family. Time off over the holidays is a plus. Workplace culture is mostly relaxed and the students are the best part of the job.
Cool environment
Office Services Specialist, Office of Development (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 15, 2018
A typical day was productive, donors and staff fun to work with. Cant really think of any hard parts about the job. I enjoyed the students the food was good and I cant complain.
Pros
lunch
Cons
incentives
Very great work environment, professors work well with you and are extremely understanding
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VirginiaJune 11, 2018
The biggest asset as a researcher assistant, were the weekly meetings held to coordinate for the new week and recap on the previous weeks assignments.
Study Hall Front Desk: Good for getting school work done
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 1, 2018
The job was straightforward and pretty relaxed, which allowed time to do school work. However, there are rules and it's expected that you follow them.
Ok place
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 30, 2018
Your experience will depend on which department or college you work at. The university itself is nice with a great student body. Very talented faculty, however management is questionable.
College Part time job
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 18, 2018
Working at the bookstore was a great part time job that allowed me to focus on my schooling while making some spending money. Management was great about working around my class schedule and the location was ideal.
Pros
Location, flexibility
Fellow (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 16, 2018
Excellent place to work for an internship. I learned a lot but was given the opportunity to learn at my own pace. I feel like the professors truly wanted to teach and not just complete a project.
Best place for research experience.
Biology Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 16, 2018
Working closely with my principal investigator, I learned a lot about time management, as well as, the techniques used to extract DNA and analyze it for analysis.
N/a
Night Desk Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 15, 2018
Though the job is 12am to 6am, the job is great. Dealing with the residents are great and so is the pay. I would highly recommend this job for a struggling college student.
N/a
Event Coordinator/Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 15, 2018
This job is a great job to work at! The hours are flexible and the pay is great. If you like to work within a family setting, thus us the right job for you.
High-tech facilities but very cliquish
Graduate Student Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 14, 2018
Labs tend not to communicate with each other and people seldom even say hello to other divisions when in the hallway. Good facilities, but not entirely a friendly workspace.
Fun and informative
Intern (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 11, 2018
The work days consisted of a lot changes from day to day. I learned the inner workings of a computer, and what the Engineering Program at Old Dominion consisted of. The management team was knowledgeable and approachable. The culture was great and was very diverse. The most enjoyable part of the job was everything I learned.
Pros
I learned a lot
Cons
The program didn't last long.
Productive and Fun workplace.
Night Desk Receptionist-Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VA 23508May 9, 2018
I had a great boss and team environment to work with. I was able to learn how to deal with certain crisis situations in Housing and Resident Life. The only hard part about the position was staying up from 12am to 6am, it definitely took some sleep schedule adjustments.
Challenging teaching assistantship but worth it
GRADUATE TEACHING ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 8, 2018
Having to teach a group of 15 undergraduate students at a time was certainly a challenge in the beginning but extremely rewarding by the end of the experience. Effective communication, leadership, and group management are just some of the skills that I developed with this position.
Pros
Movement-based course
Cons
Time management is a must
Psuedo Education
Senior Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAMay 8, 2018
ODU is the epitome of the "corporatization" of education. With the ranks of administrators swelling over the years, the protected faculty is dwindling. This university relies on poorly paid part-time faculty and inbred (offering jobs to students who bring nothing new to the school) faculty. It actively attempts to prohibit student failure, has an open admission policy without any kind of resources for the underprepared student, and funnels money into "student services" instead of quality education. Don't work here, and don't send your kids here.