Old Dominion University Employee Reviews

Nice Good.
Graduate Teaching Assistant (GTA) (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAOctober 10, 2018
It's a good school in Virginia to study and research hard. I am studying here as a Ph.D. candidate. I am very satisfying with this program provided by ODU.
A productive well supplied and organized place
LIFEGUARD (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAOctober 2, 2018
A typical day of work would include an easy employee's entrance to the workplace. Clock in next to the lockers. Change and relieve the guard on duty or open the pool. I learned that having a system of coming in to do tasks assigned for each shift is efficient and quicker.
Pros
Flexible hours, repeating everyday tasks
Cons
Sitting for long periods of time, monotonous activity, uncomfortable inside conditions
good job for a student
o Sports Marketing and Promotions Intern (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VASeptember 14, 2018
I was a student working on campus. Of course, they worked with my schedule being i was a student at the university. If you are a student you should look at on campus jobs.
Working with students and other coaches was very enjoyable
ASSOCIATE HEAD COACH (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VASeptember 10, 2018
We were in the office in the morning to do paper work and planning for the afternoon training session or games
I learned how to recruit players from around the world that fit the culture at the University.
Workplace culture was very laid back
Most enjoyable part of the job was the actual games we played against other Universities.
Great plcce to work.
Graduate Program Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VASeptember 6, 2018
I enjoyed working at ODU for the most part. I was able to interact with students and professors. The environment was one you would be proud to work in. My immediate supervisor was kind of hard to work with, which prompted my exit.
ok
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VASeptember 4, 2018
Responsible for properly enforcing the laws and regulations of the campus. Duties include: patrolling the grounds and designated perimeter; investigating complaints, accidents, and alleged crimes; and transporting prisoners. Police crowd behavior at athletic events, parades, dances, and other gatherings on campus. Direct traffic, checks for parking violations, writes citations for offenders. Complete initial investigation and prepares reports of traffic accidents and crimes committed on campus.
Productive work place
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VASeptember 1, 2018
Working at a University is always a great thing to experience. The program that I was under focused on the success of first generation, minority, and disabled students to help them succeed.
Educational and productive for advancement in career.
Program Administration manager I (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 22, 2018
Old Dominion University is a rewarding an excellent place to work advancement in any position. The Environment, working well with a variety of people and staff was very rewarding. I miss the interaction and daily rapport I had with wonderful people that I met each day. And, if an hourly position became available would welcome to return at work again working for Old Dominion University.
Good opportunity
Monarch Dining LEAP Program Internship (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 19, 2018
Good opportunity for a college student to work on campus between classes. Pay isn't to good but you make good connections and learn a lot of valuable skills for jobs later in life.
Good
Janitorial (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 19, 2018
This is a good company to work for. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a long term position. It has excellent benefits. Also excellent advancement opportunities.
Pros
overtime hopurs
Cons
night shift
Great Mentors
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 15, 2018
ODU has respectable and dedicated mentors to provide training while on the job. This institution uses technology to facilitate cooperation with partners. For example, using WebEX to meet with project partners who are far away.
Pros
Mentors are the best!
Cons
Don't teach students SAS
Laid Back Environment
ITS (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 14, 2018
I've been working at ODU several years now and I love the job security and comfortable environment. I do worry that I am somewhat "stagnated" in my current position and would like to have more room for advancement and personal growth. Training opportunities are minimal due to state budget, but tuition assistance and having access to the classes taught on campus is a huge perk.
Pros
laid back, good benefits, stability
Cons
mundane day to day tasks, little room for advancement in current position
Management is not good
Help Desk Technician (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 14, 2018
Management in some IT areas could really use some work. Managing is more than just having certifications. Need to be personable and a leader. Hardly ever get a "thank you", and in an area where people are continuously frustrates, a "thank you" can go a long way.
ODU Concessions
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 13, 2018
I performed multiple volunteer events at Old Dominion as a concessionaire.

These events took place selling food and beverages to customers at football, basketball, and soccer games on campus.

Was not officially paid, yet we were allowed to keep tips.
Pros
Good on resume
Cons
No compensation, Specific schedule
fun but not a long term place to work
Parking Officer/Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 31, 2018
they offer flexible work schedules, however, the pay for students is not worth it for the number of days they require us to work at the many student jobs during the day.
Not great but better than others, It's what you make of it.
Patrol Sergeant (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 31, 2018
Work started by briefing the patrol officers. What I learned is how to watch your back and engage your officers. Management is very divided which creates a uncertain work environment. The work place culture breeds off a place suit for young officers who don't really want to engage in police but carry a badge and a gun. The hardest part of the job is getting to work. The most enjoyable part of the job is the interaction with the employees and the campus community.
Pros
1 free college course a semester, overtime
Cons
compensation
Rec
Faculty Event Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 30, 2018
It was fun working here, just was not paid enough for the position and required duties. Some of the managers are not experienced that often and will sit throughout the games.
volunteer with them
IT Specialist (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 15, 2018
I volunteer with the IT department at Old Dominion University. There are nice and very welcoming. I spent with them time. I learnt from them. The management are great. helpful and supportive
Great school job
NIGHT DESK RECEPTIONST (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 10, 2018
I worked there while employed during school. I made decent money as a college student so I cannot complain. The management was great and they give you the opportunity to grow as well.
Relaxed and workable enviroment
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 29, 2018
Every day at the card center is the same , I learned how to better my customer service and handle money. The hardest part of the job is meal plans. Most enjoyable is the different locations we get to set up and work.
Pros
Lunch, flexiable hours
Cons
Minimum pay, not a lot of hours