Old Dominion University
Happiness rating is 76 out of 100

Old Dominion University Employee Reviews

Old Dominion University insights

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Supportive environment
  • Clear sense of purpose

Great public speaking experience with benefit of serving others.

Conduct presentations and talk with parents and new students. Management bis very friendly and I learned to communicate effectively. Hardest part is refraining from nerves, but that usually diminishes with time.

Pros

free lunch, experience, and good co-workers

Cons

long days, stressful at times, and can be difficult to communicate.

So fun to work at

Really great job and the pro staff are really nice . Fun environment and really great people. Fun events take place very organized and hard working people.

Pros

Great atmosphere

Cons

Pay

Double alumn and part-time employee review

Hi! I have worked at ODU for almost 3 years in a part-time position under the department of SEES. My management team fully supports me both as an ODU Employee and as an individual. I have learned much in this role, as I have been promoted, gotten two raises, and earned multiple licenses and certifications during my tenure here. ODU is very supportive of employees signing up for trainings/workshops/conferences. My office has paid for me to participate in many conferences and seminars. The only thing I would change would be the stringency about part-time/full-time employees. My office has no room for upward mobility, so the position I am in will always be a part-time position. Admin is not able to advocate for more funding to make my position full-time. This means I get the luxuries of working part-time (flexibility, work/life balance) at the cost of health care benefits, retirement, and vacation/sick time. Any time I go on vacation, I pay twice: once to pay for actual costs of the trip, and again when I miss out of working for the days of the vacation. As a person who needs affordable access to health care for my many illnesses/disabilities, I need a job that offers healthcare. As such, that is the primary reason I am leaving.

Pros

very flexible scheduling, team environment, close-knit community, always learning, opportunities to be creative

Cons

part-time roles offer no upward mobility, no benefits, no time off

Work Culture

This is a great place to thrive. If you know how to push yourself through. One should be lucky to be in a fast-paced environment; otherwise, things might take forever to complete.

Productive busy workplace

Great place to work overall. Some offices' staff are unprofessional but overall good people. Diverse staff and student population. Campus is continuously being renovated.

Pros

Traning and travel opportunities

Cons

Commute, some unprofessional staff

Leave a review. Help people like you.

Working conditions

At the time I was there it was very rewarding to work there. I enjoyed working with most of my coworkers and around the campus area. I had my differences with the chief at times, but overall I enjoyed my experience

Fun place to learn and growth

I enjoyed my time at ODU, I even miss it. Is a good place to learn a lot as they invest in technology if you are in IT to keep you busy. The bad was the pay was low for the role/area.

Pros

Fun and decent benefits

Cons

Pay

Leadership

The leadership and middle management lives in a bubble. Very micromanaged with little direction and very reactionary to problems that arise amongst staff and hinders ability to support students.

Productive place and friendly environment

Very good guidance and mentorship. A place to learn new techniques. Goals set and partially achieve them. Very good coworkers and nice attitude. Coworkers with strong scientific backgrounds and knowledge are helpful.

Pros

flexible and fruitful

Cons

accomodation

Flexible and understanding

Working at Old Dominion University as a work study employee was an easy, flexible and fair experience. The environment was very welcoming and the freedom was good.

Jobs at Old Dominion University

See more jobs

Fun place to work. Enjoyed my co-workers. Some of the management team was very helpful.

Overall, I enjoyed working at ODU. Great staff, good service, and good overall experience. I would refer a beginner worker for a position with ODU. Not someone with experience.

Pros

Free lunch 🍱 every shift

Cons

No benefit package provided

ODU has excellent resources to help you become a better instructor. The Center for Learning and Teaching offers valuable and interesting seminars and workshops. There are networking opportunities. Everyone is respectful and willing to help. There are always lots of events going on. The cons, not great pay, and there is not much upward mobility as an adjunct.

Flexible Hours, Good Experience

Have had a positive experience overall in my time working for Old Dominion University. They are fairly flexible with scheduling, plenty of opportunities for advancement for those who are interested.

Student Network Technician

Great opportunity to learn from everyday professionals working in the field. Everyone was very willing to help and answer any questions or issues I had solving whatever tickets and issues

Friendly workplace environment

When i was a student at the university I worked as a desk receptionist. It was the best work experience I had at the time, my manager always checked in and made sure everything we needed was at the desk.

Great People, Low Pay

I work with lots of great people. Salary leaves a lot to be desired. Hard to advance because there are so many people who get leadership positions and stay put.

Great Place To Get Started

I was a personal trainer for 3 years while I was a student and the work environment was very enjoyable. You were always encouraged to become a better trainer and had multiple meetings that covered different aspects of personal training. We held small events to encourage others to get to know us (optional to participate). The only thing I would say is that the pay isn't all that great. You have the opportunity to get pay increases each year after having a review.

Pros

Supportive Management and Co-Workers

Cons

Low Pay

Great place to work and grow career

Overall ODU is a great place to work and offers great connections and depending on your position there is room for advancement. Additionally, benefits are great including tuition assistance.

Love it

It was Greta to come to work everyday knowing that your team was dedicated to student success. The leadership is very friendly and they are really dedicated to pouring into the staff

Pros

Pay

Cons

Students feel like a number

Future professionals of tomorrow

The students are the best part, there are wonderful faculty and staff. Overall its what you make out of it and good benefits. Challenges to advancement and lack of diversity in staff

Pros

Students

Cons

advancement

Great place to do research but the staff isn’t always supportive

ODU has a lot of quickly expanding research and ongoing projects. Working in an academia environment, there are some pluses to this lax environment but the pay in academia is always frustratingly less than you should receive. The staff at ODURF is supportive but the ODU team is often difficult to work with, much of their team treats you like a number and rarely wants to help. One exception is is amazing facilities management staff including the ground keepers and mailroom, these people are always happy to help and daily say hello.

Pros

Friendly staff, benefits, lax work pace

Cons

Job security, support from university, lower pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Old Dominion University. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.3

Ratings from women

2.9
InHerSight Score
2.8Personal Development
3.2Career Opportunities
3.0Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight