Old Dominion University
75Above average
4.3
How has this company responded to COVID‑19?
Learn more

Old Dominion University Employee Reviews

United States540 reviews
Conduct presentations and talk with parents and new students. Management bis very friendly and I learned to communicate effectively. Hardest part is refraining from nerves, but that usually diminishes with time.
Pros
free lunch, experience, and good co-workers
Cons
long days, stressful at times, and can be difficult to communicate.
The Old Dominion University Police Department has some really awesome police officers and security officers to work with. However, the Chief of Police has made a toxic environment for security officers. The pay is 12.36 and hour and has not been raised in over three years. It was approved by the governor but was denied by HR/Chief of Police.
Security is only given a small closet to store all of its equipment and paperwork. The department is working out of a store front next to a bar with paper thin walls. You will either be assigned to main campus (Norfolk) or a satellite campus in Virginia Beach or Portsmouth. Almost everyone works 6 hour shifts. While everyone else on campus makes time in a half on holidays security is paid normal pay with no extra. All security positions are part time so there are no benefits. Overtime can only happen once a year and that's during student move-in. The equipment is dated and does not work well. The radios are beyond old and are lucky if you're able to transmit. After several years of saying we would get new uniforms we finally did. The current Sergeant in charge of security is great but he is retiring in November 2020.
Pros
Police officers are nice, free classes after 3 years of employment, good co-workers, easy work, mostly respectful students
Cons
No benefits, no holiday pay, no pay increases, poor pay, bad equipment, poor morale, SOME disrespectful faculty and student
My immediate supervisor was good, it was the upper management that was no good. ODU let students come back to campus with Covid 19 and management knew about it. Management would not tell us and would not make the students put on a mask. Management don't care about their workers safety.
Pros
Two weeks off doing Christmas break what's pay
Cons
Upper management and maintenance department don't care about the workers.
I just work part-time. The pay is good but the work isn't fulfilling for me personally (it's not relevant to my degree). It's rarely stressful if ever.

The workplace culture is friendly and relaxed. Full-time positions are limited, so I'm not sure how much room there is for advancement in my department at least.
Pros
Good pay, not stressful, friendly coworkers and patrons
Cons
Part-time means no benefits
Job seekers rely on your experience.
Working here as a student was very amazing. I got the best of both worlds by working as a student and also gaining experience as a manager. Everything was great about this job.
This job helps You determine your goals and also let you connect with other people that are pushing you to be the best worker you can possibly e. If you’re an IT major, this job is for you.
Being a Monarch employee embodies inclusiveness, respect, team building as well as collaboration, singularly focused on the monarch community's focus an personal/ professional development.
Pros
The atmosphere to truly make a difference
Cons
Board of directives can do more to spearhead social issues that affects the student body.
As a freshman, it was a great experience to be able to come into my first-semester teaching at a school learning what it'll be like every day once I do graduate. The professors were always willing to help with lesson plans and whatnot. And you didn't have to do it alone because you always had a teaching partner, or two.
Too much expectations
management is weak

Time consuming

good learning opportunities

Students are ready to learn

research opportunities are good

stay focused
Good state job with full benefits and a 2% raise every year. (3) free college classes every year up to 9 credit hours a year. A fair state retirement paying system for life after 30 years of service, 25 years of service for police officers.
I loved coaching at Old Dominion University. However, they dropped our wrestling program so I am not very happy with them. Up until our program was dropped I loved my job and I loved working at the university.
working hours are flexible for the student assistant
All managers are good to help and support to improve each task.

The tasks are always managed by schedule.
It involves checking of student ID to make sure unknown guest don't just work into people rooms. Also, I register guests to make sure the school has information on a any individual to comes to the houses for future reference.
Team effort in Completing tasks. They unify and work well together.I Appreciate the Support of one another.
The bond is one Special. We take Pride in our work.
Good
Good
Old Dominion University was a great place to work that always was inclusive towards everyone and made the working environment very fun and left me always wanting to go to work
A repetitive, boring , and steady job that will pay bills. It is what you make of it. The nights will catch up to you as you realize that sometimes it’s too much.
Pros
Breaks on the clock
Cons
Late nights
Hours are based on the number of upcoming performances and whether or not you can work the scheduled time slot. Able to work on schoolwork during work hours at times. Meet a variety of musicians and performers, learn how to record shows and set up audio equipment
As a graduate student i enjoyed studying at doing research at Old Dominion University. It has a beautiful campus and it is a very vibrant and active school for academic life.
My colleagues at Old Dominion are very encouraging and willing to assist others whenever needed. There are ample resources for adjunct instructors and the full-time faculty are sensitive to circumstances that involve the position.
Had a great time working in the Recreation Center on campus. Was able to work hand in hand with students, staff and peers on different programming initiatives.
i work as a student patrol aide for the ODU police department. I joined my sophomore year and I'm still here as a second semester senior. I work with a great group of students and we all respect and understand each other and get along well. we have a good relationship with the officers and try to do what we can to help make their jobs a little easier. the leadership is easy to contact, and very willing to help with whatever issues we have. hours are super flexible bc they understand we're students.