Old Navy

Based on 2,954 survey responses
What people like
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

Understaffed and much expectation of employees

Depending on who I was working with, this could be a positive place to work. They place much emphasis on their income and some value on their employees. I learned a lot about working with people, was able to use my spanish, and I was given some responsibility.

Average retail work

Average retail store environment. Typically don't have enough workers and end up staying late in order to finish cleaning up the store. High turnover since most hires are high school/college age.

Good Job for Teenagers

My time at Old Navy was decent, I loved the people I worked with. Though after so long the job started to become tedious work, It’s the same thing almost every single day. Once the holidays are over you’re no longer guaranteed hours. If you do happen to get some you’re more than likely working every single day with lack of free time for yourself. Such as other retail stores you’re constantly pressured to get people to sign up for their two rewards programs, and if you don’t you won’t get a chance to be on register and your hours will more than likely be cut. Management also has clear favorites, and will make it extremely known who they like and dislike, constantly picking and choosing who can get away with certain things and who can’t.

Pros

Great people, Discount, Flexible

Cons

Tedious, Favoritism, Pressure for rewards

Good, can be a drag.

The work was not difficult, more so time consuming and in great quantity. If you like a workplace that has the occasional rush while having a lot of downtime during the rest of time you should enjoy this. Management depends on location, but I had zero problems with mine. Workplace culture is chill as long as you get work done. overall not a bad job and especially not a bad first job.

Horrible place to work

In my time working there I felt undervalued and overworked for what they had me doing. The managers routinely looked down on me and talked bad about me for calling out of work when I was genuinely sick or one time in so much pain I felt like I was going to pass out and throw up and told me I had to go into work the next day. They gossip and talk about you behind your back and talk to you like you're the most amazing person to your face. I have not met more two-faced people than I have working there. If you have a choice, never work there.

Pros

You get a whole 15 minute brake in your 5 hour shifts

Cons

Horrible management, Over worked, Underpaid

Would you rate your company five stars?

Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.

getting naviest/onc is a headache

It is physically/mentally draining you either get too many hours or no hoursIf you are new and the managers don't like you, you have to figure everything out on your ownIf you are hired when they really need employees you are not properly trained

Cons

Naviest rewards/onc, get paid every 2 weeks

Not a bad place to work if you don't have a lot of bills

Worked there when I was 16-18, wasn't too bad as long as you get to the right store with good management. Never really got to take breaks and scheduling was always very low, 3-4 hour shifts.

Pros

Decent pay

Cons

Iffy management, rare breaks

Productivity and Results Required

Company has required time to do almost every task in store. Ie., shipment, on line orders, merchandising, etc., for highest productivity of your time.

Pros

Breaks, incentives, healthcare

Cons

Pressure to meet numbers, pay, no security in site, upper management not involved

Average job

It wasn’t a bad gig considering I was a student at the time but you couldn’t pay me enough to go back into an environment like that again. It was mainly a personal thing. Retail like that wasn’t my thing but every employee was nice at my location.

Short term

If you play the game and the managers liked you, you will succeed. As well as get hours. Hard work account's for 50% or less of how you are valued in the company

Pros

Employee discount

Cons

Work life balance

Jobs at Old Navy

See more jobs

Poor upper field management

No work/life balance. Most of the time you have to work until 10:30 pm and be back at 8:00 am. Management was unprofessional. If something was bubble up to human resources, retaliation was used. District managers let their general managers get away with a lot. They are not approachable and are not able to set successful training in place when hire. The training hours that are given are rather used for other parts of the store. The company wants to be kept and ran as a boutique but the inventory is rather more like a big box store. The good thing was the health benefits.

Pros

Hour lunch, pay and benfits

Cons

Schedule, sense of not belonging from no upper field support, unprofessional, negative and drama

Pretty Regular

Pretty standard place to work. It’s a good first job if you’re looking to gain work experience. Some drama with coworkers sometimes but if you mind your business you’ll be fine. Overall not a bad job. You learn a lot about the retail business and you’re working face to face with people everyday.

Pros

Scheduling flexibility

Fun place for young people to work.

Like I said it's okay it's a job. My manager is pretty cool, the staff is okay to work with and the customers are all right. Sometimes we get to go to lunch together if we have enough time. Which I really like. The only thing I don't like is we have to fold clothes a lot but if you're okay with that then you'll probably like the job.

Pros

Working with fun people

Cons

Short breaks

Worst retail job I've had

Hours are kept to a minimum and the management was extremely unpleasant. The people in charge don't know how to run a store. I've worked plenty of retail jobs at different companies but this was by far the worst. From the moment you are clocked in until you clock out, they are hounding you, via walkie or in person to approach shoppers to sign up for Navy Reward. (Store reward sign ups) If there are two people in the whole store and you already asked around 20 minutes earlier, they will make you approach everybody. You are asked to sign 18 people up a shift minimum. That's a horrible way to work and feel so pressured and then be confronted about it after and during each shift if you don't sign enough people up. So many times I considered quitting pre-mid-post shift. Managers and co workers walk around so unfriendly and unhappy with their job. Unhealthy and dispiriting place to work. All that for minimum wage.

Cons

unhealthy workplace, unprofessional

Awesome job for college students

Awesome job for college students who need flexible hours. You can move to different positions within your store and management for the most part is super helpful and nice.

Benefits

Good place to work, growth and you learn a lot. But stressful and work life balance is a little hard. You have to be willing to put in the work. If you’re lazy then it’s not for you.

Benefits

Cons

Work life balance

Awesome work place!

I really loved working here! I learned so much and the company had great pay and incentives. The team was also extremely helpful. I had so much fun working there!

Benefits are #1

This company takes care of it's employees. It can work with anyone's schedule as long as you give notice. The team of leadership really care about putting the customer first.

Pros

Bonus and benefits

Cons

Pay

cool temporary job

Great job to build experience. You’ll deal with all kinds of problems. Cons are that managers make their problems yours so you have to figure how to fix what they have to explain. They say it’s a team effort but it’s a team for the sales associates and they don’t help at all. Way too stressful if you’re not looking to grow in that business.

Pros

50% off everything at old navy, gap, athleta, and banana

Management Sucks

Annoying managers and unreal expectations for cards and rewards programs. Always understaffed so expect to be doing multiple things all the time and then get blamed for messing up.

It was good for a starter job.

It wasn’t a bad place to work it was just really competitive with very low pay. The employees were nice over all. some of the managers were petty but most of them were nice over all.

Pros

Nice employees

Cons

low pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Old Navy. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4K
3.6K
2.7K

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.6Personal Development
4.0Career Opportunities
2.9Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight