Oldcastle Employee Reviews

no benefits
Truck Jockey Loader (Former Employee) –  Moorestown, NJJanuary 21, 2019
Bored and confused, right? This sentence could apply to a product launch, reorganization of the company, a hiring spree or a round of layoffs. And therein lies the problem with business jargon. It’s often meaningless, uninspiring and unmemorable.
Pros
no pros
Cons
no befefits
Buen ambiente
Operador (Current Employee) –  Tucker, GAJanuary 11, 2019
Maravillosa,es buena compañía y los mánager perfectos
Lack of leadership
Plant Operator (Former Employee) –  Rhode IslandJanuary 3, 2019
As a former employee Oldcastle was a tough place to work. We were bought out by Oldcastle. Oldcatsle came in and fired everyone then had a job fair to interview to try and get rehired. The employees that were rehired were rehired at a substantial pay drop. One employee took a huge pay cut just to keep working. The management was OK until an employee looked to move up or enquire about an internal posting for another position within Oldcastle outside of their current plant. Then the employee was labelled a problem and wasn't happy and they found anything they could to run that employee out. Should be nothing wrong with an employee wanting to advance their career, but if it wasn't the company asking you were an issue. Oldcastle did however put a lot of safety procedures in place and made the plant a safer place to work. Poor leadership above the plant manager level.
Pros
Safety, some of the people
Cons
Poor leadership
poor management
hrly employee (Former Employee) –  Newnan, GAJanuary 2, 2019
work 72 hrs a weeks , layoffs , work 80 hrs week layoff, work 40hrs week layoff. inconsistent hrs, quality is poor. managers do not communicate, know nothing about the product.
Pros
Cons
poor management
Good place to work.
Accounting Manager (Former Employee) –  Ankeny, IAJanuary 2, 2019
Learned a lot during my time. Strong company with growth potential. Only downside is with constant acquisitions the company does a lot of reorganizing.
Dont not work at the florida(melbourne) plant!
Driver (Current Employee) –  Brevard County, FLJanuary 1, 2019
If you want a job thats full of drama then go ahead and sign up ! Im still working there at this time looking for another job. Everything you do is the driver fault. Although you write up truck failures on pre and post trip reports(dvr)or complain to management. Everything gets ignored until something happens with the load or customer complains. Drivers are getting wriitten up for incidents that happened over a month ago. Some drivers are being sent for drug test 3 times in 1 or 2 week span (without even being in a accident). Because prefferred materials who is under oldcastle keeps hiring drivers when there is no trucks to put them in..... We have 15 drivers and only 10 trucks. 3 Of those trucks shouldnt be on the road( per D.O.T. Rules).
***Also the bonus of 10% you will never see. You will be lucky to get 5%. The drivers at this plant is always going to other plants to help them out. The other plants get to work 45 plus hours plus bonus. Where as we're only get 5% or less because we are constantly dead heading to other plants 1 to 2 hours away at 12, 1, 2 ,3, 4 o'clock in morning. ( Its a joke) ! New drivers are quitting. Orientation trainer is a good guy but once you start working. Everything your told in orientation. (Throw it out the window). Even what you're told about your pto...Smh... You want the truth. I just told you.****Also remember...Prefferred dont like there drivers to stop at any store for lunch.As if your a child**** they tell you to bring your lunch from home. God forbid you forget it by mistake...Smh...
This is coming from a guy who train drivers when
  more... you get here....So safe yourself the head aches !  less
Pros
Its a check
Cons
Stressful and your just number
Oldcastle / CRH sucks the life out of everything they acquire.
CDL-A DRIVER FLAT BED (Former Employee) –  Wharton, NJDecember 27, 2018
They hire seasonally, in slow times your gone, no minimum hours ,.same low pay scale nation wide, no raises. no sick days or personal time. You have to use vacation time, that you dont get until year 2 . Management is clueless by design.no one is allowed to think for themselves "I DONT KNOW" is the official answer to everthing ! asking questions or voicing opions will get you fired ! They are disorganized, penny wise and dollar foolish, and equipment is junk . Every company they purchased was cut to the bone...
Pros
not docked for lunch.
Cons
employees are treated like mushrooms.
Clarksville TN Plant is a Joke.
Former member (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNDecember 18, 2018
For anyone wondering or seeking employment their Don't! Management and everyone else their is only looking out for themselves. Even upper management will lie directly to you. I would NOT recommend this place to anyone!
Pros
It was a job
Cons
Poor leadership in every direction!
Productive and efficient work place
Yard Worker (Former Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 18, 2018
Awesome place to work with. Good bonuses. They treat you right and feed you once a month as a showing of appreciation towards employees. There is alot that one can learn from working here and there is much more room for growth and improvement.
Pros
Good pay, long hours, bonuses
Cons
Night shift, exhausting work
If you need a job it's place to work
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Battle Ground, WADecember 17, 2018
The hardest part of the job is having to have upper body strength and keep up a quick pace. This job isn't for someone who doesn't like to sweat. The most enjoyable part is never working weekends.
Pros
retirement, medical, vacation, no weekends
Cons
can be hard to move up in the company
Good place to get trained for the real world
Associate Geologist (Current Employee) –  Wall Lake, IADecember 15, 2018
I learned alot of skills and gained so much experience, but unfortunately all of it was only to be able to build up my resume and to take those skills to another company in the long run...
Wasted of years of my life
Plant Manger (Former Employee) –  Telford, PADecember 12, 2018
After being severed (fired) from the company, I could not be happier. I worked to build the company at Telford to what it has become, rising through the ranks through the tides of the economy, and without warning to be terminated shows what the company is all about... Sales making promises the plant can not achieve, then production takes the blame to be the scape goat so sales sails away free from any responsibility.
Pros
Every day is different than the last
Cons
Never appreciated
machine oporator
Maintenance machine operator (Former Employee) –  Fontana, CADecember 11, 2018
make pre cast stone for houses bussiness run 7 machines and watch for cracks.clean hoppers do inspection on all machines and daily safty meetings.work with my hands fix machines welding put new parts
Poor management
Packer/Inspector (Former Employee) –  Midway, TNDecember 4, 2018
All they seem to care about are the numbers. I understand that's how all places are but they still expected your production rate when the material wasnt there to even work with. Supervisor on my shift was fired for sticking up for his employee. Didnt have one for months. Instead of promoting someone inhouse they hired someone who has never even worked in our company without the experience. HR only cares about pleasing upper management so complaints or problems brought in by workers were unsolved. Turn around is ridiculously high. People getting fired by hr with no reason to back them.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Upper management HR
It was a job, nothing more
Equipment operator (Former Employee) –  Missoula MontanaDecember 2, 2018
Oldcastle has a way of promoting idiots, and keeping the bread and butter skilled workers where they are. Very dishonest management. The Oldcastle company I worked for went under because of poor management
Pros
Union scale
Cons
It was hard to get a 40 hour week, jobs were screwed up and unproductive because of way too many managers without skills
Terrible management
Machine Operator, Forklift use, Back up lead (Former Employee) –  Battle Ground, WADecember 2, 2018
The job at oldcastle isn't really that hard if you can stand 12 hours 5 days a week. You do a lot of lifting. I personally moved about 12,000 lbs of glass a day on average. The thing about this place is it has a really negative culture. Violent coworkers that management won't deal with since the turn around rate is so high they refuse to fire people. They treat almost everyone their like garbage and don't pay well enough for the positions that are skilled. They lie to you constantly and will threaten you with write ups constantly if you aren't friends with the manager. The Philosophy of the place is you can't be complimented because then you won't want to work. I don't understand how that makes sense honestly. Also they have a quota that even when you hit it everyday they still complain you don't go fast enough. It was such an awful experience being there. I skipped most of my breaks just to get the job done. On nights you don't go home until the job is done. Had an 18 hour Friday with no breaks just so i wouldn't be there 20+ hours.
Cons
Lovely place to work. We called the place united nation
AutoCAD Technician (Former Employee) –  Newnan, GANovember 28, 2018
Productive and fun place to work, we called the place united nation. Because most of the employee are from round the world, different cultures in one working place without a problems.
Pros
good working relationship
Cons
Do your job no playing
Quality workplace
Machine Operator/Assembler (Current Employee) –  Schofield, WINovember 24, 2018
Good benefits, average pay, positive work environment. They offer a wide variety of training and safety programs to help insure new employees are properly trained to perform the job in a safe manner.
productive and fun workplaces with pingpong table
I work for Oldcastle Precast (Current Employee) –  Auburn, WANovember 14, 2018
typical day at work well we work with expectations wen I work and do my job I do that with confidents ,I earn many things about people I work with different personalities , the hardest part of the job is you move all day long , we joy wen they bring lunch for everybody
Oldcastle has wonderful people to work with and you are able to balance your work vs. life.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hooksett, NHNovember 12, 2018
Like most days, busy at times and slow at times. Peak season is crazy busy but the people are wonderful to work with. Willing to teach new skills. Some flexibility with the schedule.
Pros
Relaxed work atmosphere

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Oldcastle. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

1.9InHerSight Score

1.8Personal Development

2.0Career Opportunities

2.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight