Oldcastle Employee Reviews

Oldcastle has wonderful people to work with and you are able to balance your work vs. life.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hooksett, NHNovember 12, 2018
Like most days, busy at times and slow at times. Peak season is crazy busy but the people are wonderful to work with. Willing to teach new skills. Some flexibility with the schedule.
Pros
Relaxed work atmosphere
An uncollaborative atmosphere where career development and nurturing are an afterthought.
Manager of Business Intelligence & Analytics (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 4, 2018
Coworkers are pleasant. However, organization is complex and siloed. Very little communication from upper-management and almost no career development opportunities are provided.
Stressful work enviroment
Production Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Aberdeen, NCNovember 1, 2018
Never know who will show up for work. Management makes knee jerk decisions and has little control of employees. Company is micro managed for the corporate office
Pros
Paycheck
Cons
work enviroment
Extremely hard and fast placed environment but also a employee friendly workplace
Extrusion Operator (Former Employee) –  Terrell, TXOctober 25, 2018
A work day consisted of a daily meeting which reviewed our production and overall quality that allow discussion for improvement. I learned many different positions that allowed me to be able to operate an automatic cut saw, metal stretcher, various cranes and an extrusion press. The supervisors were always available to help and answer questions as well as be there for me personally. The hardest part of the job was trying to improve our quality and cut down on scrap material while maintaining our production pace. The most enjoyable part of the job was being around my coworkers that worked hard but also enjoyed to laugh and work together.
Pros
Always room for improvement and to be able to move up.
Cons
The produstion pace made it difficult to have any specifide breaks.
Bad management
Employee (Current Employee) –  Terrell, TXOctober 22, 2018
The management at Oldcastle is not very good. I have talk to other people at work and there saying the same thing. The management at oldcastle say they care about the employees but all they care about making there self look good. All the management think about is making there square footage and how not to spend money. So managers are even worse they want to do it there way even though it would make it harder for employees to do there jobs and sometimes employees are getting hurt from this. I have been at Oldcastle a long time there are days I just want to quit my job.
Bad leadership
Senior Learning Consultant, Information Technology (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 18, 2018
Worked there for one year. Was the worst leadership team I have ever seen. They would not even say good morning or goodnight even if you greet them first.
Pros
Stable company, decent benefits
Cons
Terrible leasership in APG IT
Good company
Transportation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 17, 2018
My time at Oldcastle was great I enjoyed it
It was a great atmosphere to work at great people and a good supervisor it was a great place to work good benefits.
Great place to work.
Maintenance Technician, (Contract) (Current Employee) –  Burlington, NCOctober 14, 2018
This is a contract job, however, the management and co-workers are all great people to work for, under and with. After scheduled PM's are completed, the workload is more relaxed unless there is a malfunction of any of the machines. At that time, it can get a little stressful until the problem is found and remedied as when a machine is not operating, the company is not making product or money. I do not know what workplace culture refers to so I don't know how to include a response in this review.
I have enjoyed working contract jobs as I have been able to meet many new people and have been exposed to numerous different environments/machines, duties and responsibilities; I am now seeking permanent employment that will allow me to utilize all the skills and knowledge I have honed and/or learned. I'm looking to join an established company that will be here for many years to come and that I can be a part of the continued growth and innovation.
Pros
Management, supervisors and co-workers are all good people to work with
Cons
This is only a contract job, not permanent
no comment
Anchor Architecture (Current Employee) –  Red Bank, NJOctober 11, 2018
lack of direction from management, too many chiefs, not enough Indians. I worked about 2-3 hours per day in an 8 hour shift. Everybody works in Silos.
Pros
Free food abound, lots & lots of free lunches
Cons
no clear direction from management, a lot of short cuts used
Great and fun job and lots of opporunities
Worker (Current Employee) –  CaOctober 10, 2018
The only thing I can say is working at the company is a great career to make but sometime you have to deal with lazy workers that are just bottom feeder and it’s hard to work as a team. Being a team is a great thing because things get done on time and more chances open up for workers seeking to rise in the company. But dealing with lazy workers at work should not be allowed under any reason. To start we all need jobs and we all need to put in the part where you applied for the job to work not to be lazy people. The company is great and I will continue to push forward seeking more doors to open. :-) GO CLR/OBE
Pros
Lots of Benefits
Cons
Lots of lazy workers that need to be checked on
Upper management was poor at best.
Production Worker/Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Eugene, OROctober 9, 2018
If you enjoy working being treated like a dog, cursed at anytime management wasn't having a good day or someone else did something wrong, needing to use the restroom before break time, never knowing which task you will be working on from one minute to the next, job safety changing depending on if the right person is at the plant from crh or not, no working indoor restroom, pay scale making no sense what so ever, then the plant off 99 in Eugene would be the place for you.
Pros
Good coworkers
Cons
Everything listed in my review
Poor management no communication
Driver (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKOctober 7, 2018
Management is a joke, only concerned about making themselves look good even if it makes drivers look bad. Poor leadership is the direct reason for such a high turnover rate. Go to management with questions and get lied to. A good work ethic and experience gets you nowhere here. The only way to succeed is the correct color of skin or sucking up to the point that you have no home life.
Pros
Paycheck
Cons
Bad eqiupment poor leadership
Complete disrespect for the individual
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Columbus, NEOctober 3, 2018
You never know from one day to the next what you will be doing or even what location you may be working at. It is the only company that I have worked for where I did not feel comfortable enough to leave any personal belongings at the job. Because of the cutthroat , backstabbing nature of the management , you are always on edge , not knowing what will cause you to be called into the office to try to defend your job. If you disagree with the way something is being done and say so , you are given the poorest equipment to work with and the least amount of help to do a job. The others that go along with anything management says are given plenty of help and the best tools and equipment to work with. There is a reason that relatives are not allowed to work together in most companies and it is very apparent here that any difficulty with one person results in your being treated poorly by the persons manager relative in the company. Absolutely the worst place I have ever worked.
Pros
Insurance
Cons
Horrible work environment
Dismal atmosphere.
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Lee, MASeptember 30, 2018
Not for the faint of heart. Constantly fight the elements and out dated equipment with high production demands. Never a day that everything runs smoothly.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Exposed to the elements. Poor morale. Old broken down equipment
Plenty of work, but not for those that want family
Manufacturing Block Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 25, 2018
I never got sent home early. I will say that I never worried about getting a full paycheck. If you enjoy fast paced work this is the place for you. If not, keep looking.
long work hours
Door Fabricator (Current Employee) –  Fife, WASeptember 13, 2018
not able to have a healthy personal life outside of work because I have to work so many hours. not compensated enough for the level of work that is performed.
Fair to work for
MACHINE OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Quakertown, PASeptember 11, 2018
Great safety environment. Job function and hours could have been better reflected, and maintained by management. Overall, not a bad place to work for.
very result oriented
Estimator (Former Employee) –  Coweta County, GASeptember 6, 2018
My time with Oldcastle was short but it was challenging for me which I loved, there was never a boring period. The people i worked with were also very welcoming and patient in helping me through the ropes.
Made good friends.
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 30, 2018
Strenuous, unrealistic expectations of one person. Expected to work 50+ hours a week, including weekends. Constant travel of up to 6 hours each way.
Slow compensation, responsible for purchasing all tools necessary to complete projects.
No bonuses offered.
Pros
Travel.
Cons
Constant travel, expenses paid out of pocket.
Look elsewhere
Professional Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INAugust 28, 2018
Complaints fall on deaf ears. Equipment is always breaking down. Lies from management. There is some good people working there. With management changes it has the potential to be a good workplace.
Pros
Decent pay and family time.
Cons
Management, lies and equipment breakdowns

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Oldcastle. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

1.9InHerSight Score

1.8Personal Development

2.0Career Opportunities

2.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight