Oldcastle Employee Reviews

Good people to work with.
Loader Operator (Current Employee) –  Ft. Green, FLMay 23, 2018
Good place to work .Long hours at times.Stedy income and good benefits. Difficult working night shift. Hoping to find something a little closer to home.
Pros
Steady work.
Cons
Rough conditions at times
Terrible workplace
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Clearbrook vaMay 21, 2018
No management no hours people were not friendly couldn't get along with no one is terrible place to work they let husband and wife try to run company no one knows how to run the company
Pros
Cons
Insurance
Safety is a priority until production is needed
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Oxford, MAMay 19, 2018
The almost 4 years I was employed here I saw major changes in business. We went from servicing small businesses to primarily servicing a big box store. Business was excellent over the past 2 years and summers were always chaotic.

As a Production Supervisor I oversaw production scheduling as well as shipping/receiving. However, my primary job was as a therapists. Every time our regional manager was in the building creating problems my primary task turned into damage control. It was always a running joke in the building. We liked to ask the new people what they thought of him. Usually, everyone said, “He seems like a nice guy.” Our response was always, “Just wait. It’s only a matter of time before you have a run in with him.”

Big businesses like Oldcastle like to advertise how they reward people who are always looking to improve things. In reality,
this is a big business that is all about saving pennies in order to improve their bottom line. They installed boards to track production in every plant in the country. Cameras were installed to watch production and shipping. Big brother is always watching you at every step.

This is a dirty and dusty job where you are expected to work no matter the weather. Production is number 1. The employee is secondary. Hopefully, one day they will figure out that without the employees there is no production. OSHA was here three out of the four years I worked here. The equipment is falling apart and when it does get replaced the replacements are worse than the original equipment.

I used to come into work with a smile on my face everyday.
  more... After our plant manager was demoted and replaced I knew my time here was at an end. I never had a single friendly conversation with the man. The happiest day of my life was the day I resigned and saw the sign in my rear view mirror for the last time.

Please think twice before working for this company. Every day upper management will come up with a way to make your day less enjoyable. It will only be a matter of time before you die a little inside each time you pull into the parking lot.
Pros
Gift cards at Christmas and thanksgiving
Cons
Micromanagement, poor working conditions, low morale
Not my best job
Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TXMay 17, 2018
My coworkers were not pleasant. The atmosphere was very stressful and toxic. The management was nice to me however. It was close to where I lived and very convenient for me to get to work on time.
Pros
Close to home.
Cons
Rude Coworkers
Boring at times.
Assembly Technician (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMay 9, 2018
The hardest part of the job at work is the "Monday morning clean-up" because we have to clean the machines up. A typical day at work can sometimes be slow and very out of sync.
ok
Forklift driver (Current Employee) –  Quakertown, PAMay 9, 2018
You come in and find out the hrs. you work for that week. The hrs. change every week. And with no notice. You have the day shift blaming night shift for everything.
Pros
some good people
Cons
the hrs change everyday
Good job to be at
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Kendallville, INMay 2, 2018
Good people and it easy Being there was something different on my life. I’m happy that. I work there really muddy. But a really good please to work at
Good place
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Houston, DenverMay 1, 2018
I really like working for old castle. The pay sucks but the benefits are very competitive. I've always had great coworkers and managers. It really is what you make of it. I work in the metal department and it's often busy and fast paced but not too difficult
Pros
Checks clear every pay day
Cons
Those summer days...
Horrible company to work for
Machine operator (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVApril 30, 2018
If you’re looking to grow inside the company don’t come here. Management sucks and has no clue how to run a plant. They also work you like slaves And if they promise you a weekend off they take it back and threaten to write you up and suspend you for 3 days if you don’t work! Would recommend this place to anyone
Pros
Pay
Cons
Very poor management
Productive and quality orinated
Laborer Production (Former Employee) –  Emigsville, PAApril 23, 2018
A safe place to work with on the job training and great management.
Great teamwork and great team mates. Safety is a priority at Oldcastle Inc. A good place to work.
Eugene Location
Purchasing Agent (Former Employee) –  Eugene, ORApril 21, 2018
Being a Purchase Agent for the Eugene location was a rewarding expierience for me. There is a quality team environment and a strong emphasis on safety,
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Far from home
poor
concret (Former Employee) –  edgewoodApril 13, 2018
poor management qualities, do not watch what goes on with employess ans supervisors. Lack of respect for employees. company out of state does not believe anything in state employees have to say
Pros
not much
Cons
a lot
Workplace Culture
Service Desk Professional Tier III (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 13, 2018
Your cohorts were respectful and management works with you to meet your goals. I found work at Oldcastle most enjoyable they kept you busy during busy days.
Benefits
OK place until branch closed.
Courier Vehicle (Former Employee) –  East Rutherford, NJApril 9, 2018
5:30am till 2:00pm(plus some OT). Great hours. Basically on your own once leaving plant. Heavy lifting involved. Management could`ve been better. Co-workers great.
Pros
On your own, co-workers
Cons
management, fragile product, kept in dark as far as pricing/product, GPS spying
Bully Atmoshere
Ready Mix Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYApril 9, 2018
Worked at Oldcastle for 4 years in Henrietta NY. Union shop local 118, not good Union.
Senior drivers treated better and given all work while others starve. Senior drivers create a cult like workplace where if you do not get along with all senior men they give u silent treatment and ex-communicate you from any future harm on job-sites safety related. Micro managed to the point where driver safety is an issue .
Pros
Pay
Cons
Senior ready-mix drivers
Production was always #1, safety was semi there.
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Lee, MAApril 5, 2018
Was a great work environment before 2010, but new plant manager came in and only cared about numbers and nothing else, halfass preachers about safety.
Cons
No direction, no communication, always employees fault for downtime
Lets get to work!
Laborer and Inside Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHApril 4, 2018
Good company. Great avenues for employment and advancement. Hard work, great pay. Every opportunity to learn and grow as a person and employee. Good to go.
Pros
Benefits, knowledge gained, people to work with
Cons
traveled sporadically for work.
A beautifal work enviorment,scared by hostile take-over.
Class A Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 4, 2018
Simply put first 3 years was almost perfect,until they suffered a hostile takeover in management,then we all lived in fear of our jobs,we were systematically exterminated based on tenior and any way they could cut cost....
Was great EXCEPT
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCApril 1, 2018
Oldcastle was great to work for, except, there was not much room to grow AT THE LOCATION I WAS WORKING. The was room to grow if you could relocate. Management was great, but my manager could have done more to help me advance.
Stressfull, Disorganized
Project Manager Engineering (Former Employee) –  Wausau, WIApril 1, 2018
Extremely stressful due to lack of organization.

Lack of overall project scheduling caused extreme chaos in production and delivering end product to customer.

Poor customer service

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Oldcastle. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
1.7

1.7Personal Development

1.6Career Opportunities

2.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight