OLDE TOWNE PET RESORT Employee Reviews

Truly, a wonderful job!!
Pet Care Associate (Current Employee) –  Springfield, VAMay 3, 2019
I've worked with Olde Towne Pet Resort in Springfield for a while now and this is genuinely my favorite job I've ever had.

Yes, it's absolutely fast-paced due to how many clients seem to enjoy bringing their pets everyday. Daycamp is always full of dogs and the pups are always soooo excited to come in and see their friends! Pet care, we walked dogs all day, play with dogs non stop and there's the obvious non-stop cleaning that is a given for anywhere you will work. Seeing the amount of "regular" clients/pets coming on a daily basis 1. shows that our clientele really love us and 2. brings joy to myself because their pets have essentially turned into our pets based on how often we see them.

I would highly recommend working here if you're prepared to have a great time. Constantly moving and staying active throughout your shift is the best because now I don't need a gym membership!!
Pros
Personal pet discount on daycamp, grooming and boarding
management is the WORST
Pet Care Associate (Current Employee) –  Springfield, VAApril 6, 2019
The Springfield location is the most stressful place to work at. Everything is impossible when it is extremely understaffed all the time. I was scheduled to work by myself with 60 pets in house and it was the most stressful day for me, and it has happened way too often. I got written up for "rushing things" and not taking the time to do certain tasks. Things here cannot be done without the proper amount of people working because then dogs do not get out for their walks on time. The manager does not schedule enough people so this place is an absolute wreck and PM shift is forced to stay until midnight to finish the tasks that aren't finished in the morning and it is not fair.
Do not work here unless you really need a job. This place is full of toxic managers and stressful work days, I dread working at this place.
Pros
The pets, customers are sweet, associates and staff.
Cons
poor management, low pay, stressful shifts
Progressive Work Environment
Accounting & HR Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Dulles, VAMarch 1, 2019
This has become my favorite employer yet. The company is all inclusive with its team meetings from top to bottom. New ideas are encouraged from each employee and weekly meets are held for the software team to discuss implementation of shared ideas for change.

I work for the Accounting and HR teams, and the latter has me learning each position within the company so that I can be of better assistance to each employee role. Each location for each role so far seems to be very close-knit, organized, and well paced. It's a family-owned company and likewise has a family feel in the workplace.

Each employee is asked to take a PI Assessment before being onboarded, which is essentially a 2-question prompt that evaluates the way an individual works. My direct managers utilize my assessment results to teach me in a way that is compatible with my learning style. This company takes real initiative to understand their employees on a level of empathy that I have not experienced before.

I have no intention of leaving this company and every intention of growing within it as much as it allows me.
Pros
Progressive work environment, empathetic and empowering management, family-oriented
Cautions
Pet Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Dulles, VAFebruary 8, 2019
Working there was what you would expect. It had its busy days, and some easy days. Most days, at least, were packed full and half the time, it would strip you of your 30 minute break for lunch, so you better eat a big breakfast.

Also note, that management is rather lazy, but the managers themselves are typically nice people. But hardly took your interests or requests to heart. Such as them not doing anything about there being a live hornets nest next to your station, or that a certain dog likes to bite you and you Are *Not* Assigned a different dog.

And lastly, if you have any sort of good heart, you would not want to work at This particular OTPR, as ever since I worked there for 3 months, the other pet care associates were so used to their jobs, they forgot that the dogs are living creatures too, and treated the dogs so poorly. Kicking, choking (via lead around throat), yelling, or smacking the dogs' snout.
Pros
Nice management, Decent pay for an easy job, You get to play with dogs!
Cons
Lack of caring from management, poor ethics, lack of safety (no sprinklers or other countermeasures)
Bad management
Kennel Attendant (Former Employee) –  Springfield, VAFebruary 4, 2019
I can honestly say this was one of the worst jobs I had ever had. The work environment was toxic and lots of drama, obvious favoritism (not for poc of course), horrible management, awful hours, lazy co-workers, low pay, and just being treated AWFULLY by almost everyone. There had been so many times when people put pet’s and other’s lives at risk because they were lazy/didn’t care/or didn’t know how to handle situations. A lot of things wouldn’t get done but people would lie and say it did. Most of the employees don’t care about the pets and if you work in cattery expect to alway work with dogs and basically get told the cats aren’t as important. Supervisors would give medications HOURS late then the pet was supposed to receive them, some people would drag dogs down the hallway, and groomers are rough with the pets. During playtimes a lot of people don’t even interact with the pet, they just sit on theor phone. People get promoted not because they’re good at their job but because they’re friends with the supervisors. You end up doing the supervisors jobs while still having kennel attendant title. Don’t ever expect to get promoted to full time, they’ll work you for full time hours and keep you as part time. The management isn’t good either, the whole company is greddy and doesn’t care about actually giving pets ‘the five star experience’. If you end up working here except to be treated awfully.
Pros
The pets
Cons
Basically everything
Very fast paced and hardwork
Pet Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Springfield, VAJanuary 2, 2019
This is a kind of job for specific people because it goes by very fast and is a lot of hard work, but it's worth it to me. I worked with such great people and I wish i didn't have to leave from moving away.
It was the CEO and executive director.
Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDOctober 31, 2018
The job was really good and I did not care about the pay. It was the fact that money came before safety. If the animals got sick or hurt it was up to the owner to figure it out. The new ED thought two puppies fighting were playing. She thought a hole in a dogs neck was a scab but she is a "trained vet tech" more like dumb tech. She also does not know how to talk to people at all.
Pros
Dogs and the customers.
Cons
CEO and executive director
Terrible just terrible
Pet Care supervisor (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDOctober 7, 2018
Very poor pay, understaffed,overworked, no job security,work multiple departments for no additional pay, favoritism is shown on a daily basis and the director does not know how to talk to people
Pros
Cons
You have to pay to bring your dog to work, very poor pay and people of color do not get promoted
Not worth it.
Pet Care Associate (Former Employee) –  Sterling, VASeptember 26, 2018
If you at all care about the job you're gonna do expect to be run into the ground, take on all the responsibilities of a supervisor without any benefits, do the same if not more work than long time employees because they have given up because the company drains them, and expect to feel worthless and be basically neglected (especially if you're due a raise). The few upsides are flexibility and they'll feed you during holidays. The Downsides are you can be locked into your shift hours after your supposed to be off, neglect, weak management, and toxic coworkers.

Trust me. It's not worth it.

However there are a few people there who really, really try their hardest. But the storm around the company is just too strong.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Coworkers, Management, and Overworked
Started great until new CEO took over
Day Camp Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDAugust 29, 2018
This was a fantastic job and a wonderful place to work until the new CEO took over. Now, taking care of someones dog is apparently similar to pouring someone a shot of whiskey and if a dog gets sick or injured at this place it is now the pet owners responsibility to discover said ailment on their own. There is a total lack of regard for safety for the employees and the pets and because of the change in management very few employees remain that actually care about their job and their customers. The ones that do care try very hard to provide great service to the customers but are usually sidestepped by management. A management team that does not know what they are doing or how to care for an animal in the most basic of ways. Giardia and Kennel Cough outbreaks and fights that the Executive Director claims to just be dogs playing? No, this is no longer a good place to work, far less a good place to take your beloved pet.
Pros
The Animals
Cons
The Management
The most enjoyable part of the job
Pet Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Rockville, MDAugust 21, 2018
I enjoy working with animals as they are my theraphy. I like caring for fur babies and assuring their parents are happy when they pick up after boarding with us.
Don’t work here unless you have the impost patience
Pet Care Associate (Current Employee) –  Springfield, VAJuly 16, 2018
I thought I would love working here since I love animals so much but there’s no time to even give individual love to the dogs because the workers so worried about getting everything done so we can get out on time, which never happens anyways. If you work here expect to stay over hours of the scheduale they tell you to because you can’t leave till everything is closed down (at least for pm shifts) the hours are typically the same every week so it’s easy to make plans around it. The management is okay but unorganized. The director is amazing and does his best and truly cares for the pets which is awesome but the workers, not so much. The workers are mostly in high school and boy do they act like it. Some can be the best people ever and some can still be stuck in high school. A lot of people talk here and you’ll most likely get talked about as well. It’s annoying dealing with the people here especially because everyone wants to be in charge so people with the same job title as you will make you do stuff or be rude to you when asking you to do stuff. If you know how to handle high school drama and are willing to work 10 hour shifts by all means apply, but goodluck.
Pros
Meet a lot of furry friends
Cons
Unorganized, drama
Great coworkers and clients, management is clueless about how to run a pet care facility safely
Daycamp Associate (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDJuly 12, 2018
Started as a client and fell in love with the place so much I started working there. Love for the company kept growing until upper management changed and suddenly everything was going down hill. Dogs and staff were getting sick and injured. Management refused to notify anyone when outbreaks happened or even tell clients if their dog got injured. Current director also has no problem employing people that are too rough on the animals (1 dog trainer was witnessed throwing a dog her first day and another body slammed a puppy (thankfully no injuries)). When I left they were taking away all breaks for staff because “they aren’t necessary”. 1 person per 15 dogs is their new goal even though company policy states 2 people in a room at all times to ensure safety of animals and staff. None of the new hires get properly trained in daycamp because they took away the supivisor position. It’s a mess over there last I checked.

This job was by far the most enjoyable job I ever had and I had planned to stay for years. Can only hope they come to their senses soon and do something to get back to being the amazing company they were a year ago.
Pros
Double pay for holidays, great coworkers, amazing clients, decent starting pay and benefits
Cons
Poor management, unsafe work environment
Old towns pet resort
Pet Bather (Former Employee) –  Springfield, VAJanuary 26, 2018
How wonderful place to work good employment benefits grooming did not get paid enough for the work that was done long hours or it could be short hours never for 40 hours a week
fun to work at!
Guest Services Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Springfield, VAJanuary 10, 2018
great place to work if you love animals. Kind of hard to get a raise but they do promote from within so that keeps people motivated. They're really flexible if you're in school and college kids love it.
Very fast paced place
Bather/Groomer (Former Employee) –  Springfield, VADecember 11, 2017
I am not going to say much about this place. I wish they gave more time to pay attention to the animals, no time to love the animals. When working with the animals you went to one dog to another not being sympathetic of the dogs needs with patience.
Pros
Good management
Cons
Too fast paced
Fast Paced Fun workplace!
Lead Guest Service Agent (Current Employee) –  Springfield, VAOctober 20, 2017
This company is a family owned operation. We are a five star resort for dogs and cats. Think the Ritz for dogs & cats. No restrictions on breed or temperament.
I enjoyed working with pets again...
SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Springfield, VAApril 29, 2017
A typical day went quickly, as you stay busy at all times. Most of the team members I worked with worked hard and understood the importance of communication, pet care and accountability.
The hardest part of the job for me was when a pet became ill or hurt during their stay...
Pros
Fast paced, working with animals
Cons
I worked 2nd shift, balancing life was challenging
Great coworkers/clients, awful management
Guest services (Former Employee) –  Sterling, VAAugust 17, 2016
I worked there for a number of years and loved most of it. It's a simple job, you'll meet wonderful people who will be lifelong friends, and you spend your day around animals and people who love them as much as you do.

Where it fails though is management. Things may have changed now, but at the time there was a serious resistance to hiring an appropriate amount of staff for the amount of work requested. In the customer service department, we were constantly spread too thin. Sometimes only one person would be expected to handle a high call volume, do reports, and manage emails by themselves because management was too concerned about money rather than quality. Any complaints about this by employees were usually met with a shrug and nothing would change. If you made a mistake, it was entirely on you and your abilities rather than the fact that we were overburdened. It was enormously stressful for my coworkers and I (many of whom left around the same time I did) not only due to being overworked but upset because we knew we were not providing the quality service we were capable of. The only reason the hiring process began at the end of my time there was because half of our already diminished department was either gone or quitting. Even then, no ads were placed and our only pool of applicants was the few people who came across the website or company and applied on their own accord

In general management seemed completely unresponsive to employee concerns. Some of it seemed to be favoritism, as some employees were kept around because they got along well with managers and others
  more... were fired because they did not stoke their egos. Going to them for help was often hit or miss, as they overall knew less about your own job than you did. If something went wrong or there was a client complaint, they sometimes weren't even in the building to assist. In terms of client assistance, they were sometimes even slow to do anything in that instance as well, leaving the employees to try to smooth over the situation. (In these cases though, the clients were actually well aware of who to direct their anger toward, and that was a saving grace.) The upper management of the company is rarely there and completely checked out of anything regarding the staff, so there was nowhere to turn.

Again, some of this may have changed but I kind of doubt it. I was able to see how dysfunctional the management was with just two locations and upon hearing they are opening a third facility, I cannot imagine they will fix these issues soon. It's a great first job or a temporary position but it's not something you can make a career out of.
Pros
Good staff, animals are great, clients are overall great
Cons
Management, consistently short staffed
friendly,fun, loving workplace
Pet Bather/ Pet Care Attendant (Former Employee) –  Springfield, VAMay 9, 2015
the hardest part of the job is getting attached to the pets that frequent the resort that have special medical needs and that are no longer here. the most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that you made each pet feel loved and cared for and the smiles you put on their faces everyday.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at OLDE TOWNE PET RESORT. Our community is ready to answer.

OLDE TOWNE PET RESORT Reviews by Location