OLDE TOWNE PET RESORT Employee Review

View all OLDE TOWNE PET RESORT reviews

Great coworkers/clients, awful management
Guest services (Former Employee) –  Sterling, VAAugust 17, 2016
I worked there for a number of years and loved most of it. It's a simple job, you'll meet wonderful people who will be lifelong friends, and you spend your day around animals and people who love them as much as you do.

Where it fails though is management. Things may have changed now, but at the time there was a serious resistance to hiring an appropriate amount of staff for the amount of work requested. In the customer service department, we were constantly spread too thin. Sometimes only one person would be expected to handle a high call volume, do reports, and manage emails by themselves because management was too concerned about money rather than quality. Any complaints about this by employees were usually met with a shrug and nothing would change. If you made a mistake, it was entirely on you and your abilities rather than the fact that we were overburdened. It was enormously stressful for my coworkers and I (many of whom left around the same time I did) not only due to being overworked but upset because we knew we were not providing the quality service we were capable of. The only reason the hiring process began at the end of my time there was because half of our already diminished department was either gone or quitting. Even then, no ads were placed and our only pool of applicants was the few people who came across the website or company and applied on their own accord

In general management seemed completely unresponsive to employee concerns. Some of it seemed to be favoritism, as some employees were kept around because they got along well with managers and others
  more... were fired because they did not stoke their egos. Going to them for help was often hit or miss, as they overall knew less about your own job than you did. If something went wrong or there was a client complaint, they sometimes weren't even in the building to assist. In terms of client assistance, they were sometimes even slow to do anything in that instance as well, leaving the employees to try to smooth over the situation. (In these cases though, the clients were actually well aware of who to direct their anger toward, and that was a saving grace.) The upper management of the company is rarely there and completely checked out of anything regarding the staff, so there was nowhere to turn.

Again, some of this may have changed but I kind of doubt it. I was able to see how dysfunctional the management was with just two locations and upon hearing they are opening a third facility, I cannot imagine they will fix these issues soon. It's a great first job or a temporary position but it's not something you can make a career out of.
Pros
Good staff, animals are great, clients are overall great
Cons
Management, consistently short staffed

Other OLDE TOWNE PET RESORT Employee Reviews

Truly, a wonderful job!!
Pet Care Associate (Current Employee) –  Springfield, VAMay 3, 2019
I've worked with Olde Towne Pet Resort in Springfield for a while now and this is genuinely my favorite job I've ever had.

Yes, it's absolutely fast-paced due to how many clients seem to enjoy bringing their pets everyday. Daycamp is always full of dogs and the pups are always soooo excited to come in and see their friends! Pet care, we walked dogs all day, play with dogs non stop and there's the obvious non-stop cleaning that is a given for anywhere you will work. Seeing the amount of "regular" clients/pets coming on a daily basis 1. shows that our clientele really love us and 2. brings joy to myself because their pets have essentially turned into our pets based on how often we see them.

I would highly recommend working here if you're prepared to have a great time. Constantly moving and staying active throughout your shift is the best because now I don't need a gym membership!!
Pros
Personal pet discount on daycamp, grooming and boarding
management is the WORST
Pet Care Associate (Current Employee) –  Springfield, VAApril 6, 2019
The Springfield location is the most stressful place to work at. Everything is impossible when it is extremely understaffed all the time. I was scheduled to work by myself with 60 pets in house and it was the most stressful day for me, and it has happened way too often. I got written up for "rushing things" and not taking the time to do certain tasks. Things here cannot be done without the proper amount of people working because then dogs do not get out for their walks on time. The manager does not schedule enough people so this place is an absolute wreck and PM shift is forced to stay until midnight to finish the tasks that aren't finished in the morning and it is not fair.
Do not work here unless you really need a job. This place is full of toxic managers and stressful work days, I dread working at this place.
Pros
The pets, customers are sweet, associates and staff.
Cons
poor management, low pay, stressful shifts

Ask a question about working or interviewing at OLDE TOWNE PET RESORT. Our community is ready to answer.

OLDE TOWNE PET RESORT Reviews by Location