Olean General Hospital Employee Reviews

poor management
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Olean, NYMarch 24, 2019
Management will ask you to contact them and when you try they do not answer. Expect you to check email on a regular basis rather than care for the patient. Not enough staff to safely and adequately care for the patient. Management is top heavy and they don't listen to what the peons have to say until it is made public.
Pros
making a difference in the lives of others, benefits, pay
Cons
management top heavy, short staff
Terrible place to work
Charge Nurse, RN (Current Employee) –  Olean, NYMarch 2, 2019
Nurses are chronically understaffed, while there are way too many VPs and Directors running around doing nothing. Layoffs happen frequently, then they hire people back because they realize it's not safe. Nurses on the floors can have 12 patients a night.
Pros
At least im not a patient
Cons
No breaks or lunches
Don't waste your time... go to burger king
Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Olean, NYFebruary 6, 2019
Running around like a chicken with its head cut off. It is highly unsafe for workers and patients. Having 20-50 high acute patients alone each day, does not allow the proper care to be provided. To be run ragged while making barely enough money to live on is unacceptable. This is not only abuse to employees, but to the patients. If they really wanted to improve the situation, they would pay more, which would most likely keep more employees, resulting in better care.
Pros
"helping others"
Cons
Everything!
Not worth it
Nurse Assistant (Former Employee) –  Olean, NYDecember 16, 2018
The pay may be good, but the environment was terrible. They are disgustingly understaffed and most people are very unhappy working there. Patient care takes a back seat to profits. You will be made to do the job of 2-3 people and are constantly reminded of how disposable you are. Anyone who works there will tell you the same.
Great experience
Chief of Dentistry (Former Employee) –  Olean, NYNovember 3, 2018
Enjoyed everything while I was employed at olean general hospital. Had to relocate to be main care giver to my father. Relocated near onedia Lake where I spent my summers as a boy
Every Emergency Department is stressful
Registration Clerk (Former Employee) –  Olean, NYSeptember 17, 2018
I worked as a registration clerk and then moved to part time Emergency Department Technician. Please understand that working in any hospital, anywhere can get stressful, however, I enjoyed it immensely. Fast paced, excellent co-workers, great pay.
Pros
no time to get bored, always something to do
Great Staff, poor administration
Registered Nurse (RN) (Former Employee) –  Olean, NYJuly 23, 2018
Thought this would be the hospital I retired from. Absolutlely loved the facility, the provider's, fellow co-worker's. Nurse's have since become being seen as a dime a dozen and are reminded of that, Unsafe staffing which administration cares nothing about. Large turn over of nurse's.
Benefits
Cons
Overworked, under staffed
Department Restructuring
Office Coordinator/Secretary Imaging Department (Former Employee) –  Olean, NYJuly 20, 2018
I was employed by them for years. Department was going through a tough restructuring. Relocated for a different job. Not a lot of jobs in the Olean, NY area.
fast paced enviroment working with a team who all pitched in for the betterment of the patients
Emergency Room Technician (Former Employee) –  Olean, NYJuly 16, 2018
A typical day at Olean General Emergency Department was fast paced and unpredictable but always challenging and learning experience. I learned to deal with stressful situations and do my job without reacting to the stress to accomplish tasks at hand. The ED staff worked like a family helping one another and working to provide continuity in care. The hardest part of the job, of course, was when we lost a patient. That is something that always remains difficult to deal with. The most enjoyable would be the very opposite of losing patients, it was being able to see them walk out of the ED.
Pros
Being offered continuing education and skills to make me a better caregiver
Cons
12 hour shifts were difficult
Ogh
LPN on Med (Former Employee) –  Olean, NY 14760July 7, 2018
Did not work there long because I did not like working nights, Hospital work. learned a whole lot , a bunch of wonderful nurses it was the main hospital and very busy but nights was a little slower. the nurses were very knowledable and did not mind helping anyone and teaching them especially if you felt uncomfortable doing a new procedure. it was a great experience working there
Pros
learning opportunites
Cons
working nights
Management is horrible!!
Environmental Services (Current Employee) –  Olean, NYJune 29, 2018
I highly recommend you do not work in this department! The management is horrible! It’s a hired out management group and that is very bad! I work here and the director of EVS is a hired out manager. And has a buddy who works in this department but does get special treatment. Working with my fellow employees is great. But that’s where working in this department is good.
Pros
Great benefits is the only pro.
Cons
Management is hired out. And you as the employee will pay for this.
Great job
Staff Technologist (Current Employee) –  Olean, NYJune 22, 2018
Love everything about oghhusband losing his job of 16 years may have to re locate depending on his situation after the plant closes looking for new opportunities
Management is the problem
Environmental Services (Former Employee) –  Olean, NYApril 16, 2018
Cut throat, bullies most nurses are lazy management is a lot of the problem, but the nurses are lazy pill pushers could do more. I was a CNA their also I felt uncomfortable, because I could not give good care the kind of care a patient deserves. I had 14 to 16 patients a night or the whole floor because we are working short, never enough staff.
Benefits
Cons
Relaxing exciting work environment where I never get bored
Transcriptionist (Current Employee) –  OleanFebruary 19, 2018
Love almost everything about my job and workplace, except communication is lacking. Coworkers are easy to work with. Also think there should be more cross training to eliminate the possibility of Bri g phased out
Drama but flexible with family needs
Patient Access Representative (Current Employee) –  Olean, NYJanuary 14, 2018
There is a lot of petty drama. No one wants to take responsibility for mistakes. They are very flexible with family needs though and allow a lot of time off in necessary.
Positive experience, great team
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Olean, NYJanuary 8, 2018
Intern at the outpatient therapy clinic. Physical and occupational therapist were awesome and everyone got along great. Fast pace which made the day go by quick. Clients and staff happy made the day even better. Only complaint is that the gym is very small for how busy it is and it became congested. Overall would recommend this hospital over Coudersport. Also it seems like a much more advanced hospital than Coudy.
Pros
Happy people
Cons
Size
organizing folders and paperwork and making copies and helps with activities
Organizer (Former Employee) –  Olean, NYDecember 31, 2017
fun at times, i put folders and papers in the right place. short timed lunches. great staff and employees. long working hours. you get lunch passes when volunteering.
Pros
free lunch pass
Cons
sitting too long
Good place to work but management was awful
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Olean, NYDecember 31, 2017
Management was awful mostly because they showed favoritism. If they don’t like you they will try to get you to quit (which I had seen on multiple occasions to numerous employees.) They will blame things on you that you didn’t do. The department I was in had no room for advancement. The rotating schedules are terrible if you have little ones- making daycare not an option. It would be much more reasonable if they had 7-3 workers that only worked that shift, 2-10 workers for only those shifts, etc. I liked the job because I feel like I got to learn a lot. It’s a very stressful job for a pay that you can hardly live on.
Pros
Transferring to other departments, Discounts. Using your badge for lunch. Vacation and sick time.
Cons
So many.
Review
Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Olean, NYNovember 29, 2017
Excellent place to work
Excellent care givers
Is clean
Somewhat quiet
Very fast paced
Has been very packed with patients lately
Over all a good place to go for world
Great place to work if you enjoy fast-pace and people
Patient Access Representative (Former Employee) –  Olean, NYNovember 9, 2017
My time at OGH was just under a year. I loved my job and the only reason I left was because at the time I was caring for my grandchildren during the day, taking care of my elderly father and then working second shift and I had little time with my husband. Would I go back? Absolutely. I worked in patient access with a great group of people. The job is not for everyone. It's very fast paced. You really have to have patience and compassion for people. There are times you don't get a break, especially in the ER because it is that busy. But you work together and help each other out like a team. I miss my job there and I'm hoping to go back.
Pros
Great place to work, good benefits, rewarding
Cons
There are times you go without a break but if that's the worst thing it's not all that bad

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Olean General Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

Olean General Hospital Reviews by Location