Olean General Hospital Employee Reviews

Management is horrible!!
Environmental Services (Current Employee) –  Olean, NYJune 29, 2018
I highly recommend you do not work in this department! The management is horrible! It’s a hired out management group and that is very bad! I work here and the director of EVS is a hired out manager. And has a buddy who works in this department but does get special treatment. Working with my fellow employees is great. But that’s where working in this department is good.
Pros
Great benefits is the only pro.
Cons
Management is hired out. And you as the employee will pay for this.
Great Staff, poor administration
Registered Nurse (RN) (Former Employee) –  Olean, NYJuly 23, 2018
Thought this would be the hospital I retired from. Absolutlely loved the facility, the provider's, fellow co-worker's. Nurse's have since become being seen as a dime a dozen and are reminded of that, Unsafe staffing which administration cares nothing about. Large turn over of nurse's.
Benefits
Cons
Overworked, under staffed
Management is the problem
Environmental Services (Former Employee) –  Olean, NYApril 16, 2018
Cut throat, bullies most nurses are lazy management is a lot of the problem, but the nurses are lazy pill pushers could do more. I was a CNA their also I felt uncomfortable, because I could not give good care the kind of care a patient deserves. I had 14 to 16 patients a night or the whole floor because we are working short, never enough staff.
Benefits
Cons
Great place to work if you enjoy fast-pace and people
Patient Access Representative (Former Employee) –  Olean, NYNovember 9, 2017
My time at OGH was just under a year. I loved my job and the only reason I left was because at the time I was caring for my grandchildren during the day, taking care of my elderly father and then working second shift and I had little time with my husband. Would I go back? Absolutely. I worked in patient access with a great group of people. The job is not for everyone. It's very fast paced. You really have to have patience and compassion for people. There are times you don't get a break, especially in the ER because it is that busy. But you work together and help each other out like a team. I miss my job there and I'm hoping to go back.
Pros
Great place to work, good benefits, rewarding
Cons
There are times you go without a break but if that's the worst thing it's not all that bad
Every Emergency Department is stressful
Registration Clerk (Former Employee) –  Olean, NYSeptember 17, 2018
I worked as a registration clerk and then moved to part time Emergency Department Technician. Please understand that working in any hospital, anywhere can get stressful, however, I enjoyed it immensely. Fast paced, excellent co-workers, great pay.
Pros
no time to get bored, always something to do
Cons
fast paced enviroment working with a team who all pitched in for the betterment of the patients
Emergency Room Technician (Former Employee) –  Olean, NYJuly 16, 2018
A typical day at Olean General Emergency Department was fast paced and unpredictable but always challenging and learning experience. I learned to deal with stressful situations and do my job without reacting to the stress to accomplish tasks at hand. The ED staff worked like a family helping one another and working to provide continuity in care. The hardest part of the job, of course, was when we lost a patient. That is something that always remains difficult to deal with. The most enjoyable would be the very opposite of losing patients, it was being able to see them walk out of the ED.
Pros
Being offered continuing education and skills to make me a better caregiver
Cons
12 hour shifts were difficult
Not worth it
Nurse Assistant (Former Employee) –  Olean, NYDecember 16, 2018
The pay may be good, but the environment was terrible. They are disgustingly understaffed and most people are very unhappy working there. Patient care takes a back seat to profits. You will be made to do the job of 2-3 people and are constantly reminded of how disposable you are. Anyone who works there will tell you the same.
It is a good place to work
Patient Transporter (Current Employee) –  Olean, NYOctober 18, 2017
Olean General Hospital is a good place to work however there is constant lack of staffing which makes the job difficult to complete without waiting for additional hands to help move a patient onto the bed or stretcher. I think with more staffing everyone would be more happy and also help make staff stay because I seen a lot of people leaving there because it is stressful, lack of pay, lack of staffing(help).
Pros
Food, Paid time off
Cons
Staffing, Salary
Ogh
LPN on Med (Former Employee) –  Olean, NY 14760July 7, 2018
Did not work there long because I did not like working nights, Hospital work. learned a whole lot , a bunch of wonderful nurses it was the main hospital and very busy but nights was a little slower. the nurses were very knowledable and did not mind helping anyone and teaching them especially if you felt uncomfortable doing a new procedure. it was a great experience working there
Pros
learning opportunites
Cons
working nights
Good place to work but management was awful
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Olean, NYDecember 31, 2017
Management was awful mostly because they showed favoritism. If they don’t like you they will try to get you to quit (which I had seen on multiple occasions to numerous employees.) They will blame things on you that you didn’t do. The department I was in had no room for advancement. The rotating schedules are terrible if you have little ones- making daycare not an option. It would be much more reasonable if they had 7-3 workers that only worked that shift, 2-10 workers for only those shifts, etc. I liked the job because I feel like I got to learn a lot. It’s a very stressful job for a pay that you can hardly live on.
Pros
Transferring to other departments, Discounts. Using your badge for lunch. Vacation and sick time.
Cons
So many.
Great experience
Chief of Dentistry (Former Employee) –  Olean, NYNovember 3, 2018
Enjoyed everything while I was employed at olean general hospital. Had to relocate to be main care giver to my father. Relocated near onedia Lake where I spent my summers as a boy
Not great
Nutrition Attendant (Former Employee) –  Olean, NYApril 12, 2017
I started out with a great attitude and some people were friendly and as the days went on it got worse and worse and worse. The management was rude and emotions were different everyday and every hour. then someone who came back after leave when she was gone when i started treated me horrible. I would absolutely never ever recommend a job at the hospital at last not in the cafe food industry. Also they had me working full time hours and part time employee so i couldn't afford the benefits. absolutely ridiculous and i wasn't the only employee it was happening to.
Department Restructuring
Office Coordinator/Secretary Imaging Department (Former Employee) –  Olean, NYJuly 20, 2018
I was employed by them for years. Department was going through a tough restructuring. Relocated for a different job. Not a lot of jobs in the Olean, NY area.
Horrible
RN (Former Employee) –  Staff NurseFebruary 8, 2017
I worked there for years as an RN. We were told to learn to do more with less while management was making 900K. Staffing levels were minimal most of the time with a fair amount of the time unsafe and management did not care. Many time I felt like my license along with my co workers was on the line because of dangerous staffing levels. They count on the fact that new GNs are graduating every year. They hire all they can and maybe one or two are still there after 6 months. I would not recommend for seasoned or new nurses.
Pros
close to home
Cons
managment, dangerouse staffing levels, and wage and benefits
Competitive wages
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Olean, NYSeptember 6, 2017
This is a small/rural hospital but extremely busy because of the location. Great benefits and pay for nurses because the nurses work under New York State Nursing Association which is the Union.
Pros
Pay roll deduction for everything, usually offering sign on bonuses for specific dept. ie ED L&D
Struggle to survive in the new OGH culture
Employee (Former Employee) –  Olean,NYNovember 1, 2012
The general employees as a whole were wonderful - very team focused and many wonderful personalities. Furthermore, the pay is very good for this area, and although the benefits are becoming very expensive, the hospital does work hard to provide the employees benefit options that can fit different budgets and needs.

If you are looking for a career in which the culture is healthy and the values are there, OGH is not for you. Unfortunately, It is very top heavy - too many upper management that have no understanding or appreciation for the average employee. They use their at-will rights frequently; so if an individual is looking for any type of job security - this is not the place to be. Unfortunately the culture is such that if you do not know the right people you will not move on in your position. Unfortunately many good employees get really bad treatment.

I used to be so proud to work for OGH - it was once a family oriented, warm, small town hospital. I feel very badly about what it has become - cut throat business.
Pros
many great people, team work among "average" employees and departments
Cons
too much management, who-you-know mentality, ineffective management
Great job
Staff Technologist (Current Employee) –  Olean, NYJune 22, 2018
Love everything about oghhusband losing his job of 16 years may have to re locate depending on his situation after the plant closes looking for new opportunities
Very difficult culture
Healthcare worker (Current Employee) –  Olean,NYNovember 5, 2012
Very top heavy; many hands in the pot with upper level management & VPs of every thing you can think of.
Job security is a joke; they exercise their at will rights at the drop of a dime. Employee is provided with no valid reasons or proof as to why they are being let go.
There is a lot of attention and TONS of money spent on renovations to make everything look pretty. This takes away from actual manpower where it counts. Ie, nurses, nursing assistants - they need more help often times. Wait times are big and it is not the personnel who are at fault, yet they are the ones who take the fault both by patient's and administration.
The culture of OGH has changed since the new management has come in to the hospital. It used to be a family-friendly establishment that truly cared about its employees. It used to be a place that one could feel proud to work for. It is very sad that it is not such anymore.
One good thing about the job - there are many, many other employees who are great. Team oriented, friendly, & in the same boat as everyone else. It is too bad that the small person is not recognized in the new environment.
Pros
great coworkers, benefits offered
Cons
too much management, who-you-know mentality, ineffective management
Fast pace working environment
Registration Clerk (Current Employee) –  Olean, NYJune 22, 2013
A typical day is the same pretty much every day. Patients come into hospital whether they are ill and need to be seen by the Emergency Department or they are coming in for lab work or xrays etc. I gather their personal information or update their charts. Ensure their insurances are active and collect copays if required. Admit or discharge patients or transfer patients to different rooms.

I've learned patience more then I had already had. I've learned alittle on insurances. Some of the skills that I do I had already learned at my previous job where I was for 13yrs. I did learn what some of the diagnoses mean.

The co-workers that I've had the pleasure to work with are good team players and help each other out.

The hardest part of the job I would say is not getting emotional with extremely ill patients or when handling family of a deceased patient. When you know they are gone and they don't know yet keeping that straight you don't know anything look.

The most enjoyable part of my job is helping where I can with a patient to try and make their visit as comfortable for them as it can be for whatever reason they are there.
Pros
benefits and healthcare
Ok Place to work
Nurse Assistant (Former Employee) –  Olean, NYMay 5, 2017
I only worked at Olean General as an Aid for a few months but I did not enjoy it much. The hospital is very understaffed and the staff available are overworked and underpaid. Although the benefits help to make up for it.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Olean General Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about