Olean General Hospital Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Management is the problem
Environmental Services (Former Employee) –  Olean, NYApril 16, 2018
Cut throat, bullies most nurses are lazy management is a lot of the problem, but the nurses are lazy pill pushers could do more. I was a CNA their also I felt uncomfortable, because I could not give good care the kind of care a patient deserves. I had 14 to 16 patients a night or the whole floor because we are working short, never enough staff.
Benefits
Cons
Drama but flexible with family needs
Patient Access Representative (Current Employee) –  Olean, NYJanuary 14, 2018
There is a lot of petty drama. No one wants to take responsibility for mistakes. They are very flexible with family needs though and allow a lot of time off in necessary.
Positive experience, great team
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Olean, NYJanuary 8, 2018
Intern at the outpatient therapy clinic. Physical and occupational therapist were awesome and everyone got along great. Fast pace which made the day go by quick. Clients and staff happy made the day even better. Only complaint is that the gym is very small for how busy it is and it became congested. Overall would recommend this hospital over Coudersport. Also it seems like a much more advanced hospital than Coudy.
Pros
Happy people
Cons
Size
organizing folders and paperwork and making copies and helps with activities
Organizer (Former Employee) –  Olean, NYDecember 31, 2017
fun at times, i put folders and papers in the right place. short timed lunches. great staff and employees. long working hours. you get lunch passes when volunteering.
Pros
free lunch pass
Cons
sitting too long
Good place to work but management was awful
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Olean, NYDecember 31, 2017
Management was awful mostly because they showed favoritism. If they don’t like you they will try to get you to quit (which I had seen on multiple occasions to numerous employees.) They will blame things on you that you didn’t do. The department I was in had no room for advancement. The rotating schedules are terrible if you have little ones- making daycare not an option. It would be much more reasonable if they had 7-3 workers that only worked that shift, 2-10 workers for only those shifts, etc. I liked the job because I feel like I got to learn a lot. It’s a very stressful job for a pay that you can hardly live on.
Pros
Transferring to other departments, Discounts. Using your badge for lunch. Vacation and sick time.
Cons
So many.
Review
Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Olean, NYNovember 29, 2017
Excellent place to work
Excellent care givers
Is clean
Somewhat quiet
Very fast paced
Has been very packed with patients lately
Over all a good place to go for world
Great place to work if you enjoy fast-pace and people
Patient Access Representative (Former Employee) –  Olean, NYNovember 9, 2017
My time at OGH was just under a year. I loved my job and the only reason I left was because at the time I was caring for my grandchildren during the day, taking care of my elderly father and then working second shift and I had little time with my husband. Would I go back? Absolutely. I worked in patient access with a great group of people. The job is not for everyone. It's very fast paced. You really have to have patience and compassion for people. There are times you don't get a break, especially in the ER because it is that busy. But you work together and help each other out like a team. I miss my job there and I'm hoping to go back.
Pros
Great place to work, good benefits, rewarding
Cons
There are times you go without a break but if that's the worst thing it's not all that bad
It is a good place to work
Patient Transporter (Current Employee) –  Olean, NYOctober 18, 2017
Olean General Hospital is a good place to work however there is constant lack of staffing which makes the job difficult to complete without waiting for additional hands to help move a patient onto the bed or stretcher. I think with more staffing everyone would be more happy and also help make staff stay because I seen a lot of people leaving there because it is stressful, lack of pay, lack of staffing(help).
Pros
Food, Paid time off
Cons
Staffing, Salary
Ogh
Patient Access Representative (Current Employee) –  Olean, NY 14760September 22, 2017
OGH is not a bad place to work. I've enjoyed working here, and have learned a lot. I work in a fast pace environment and love my coworkers. Everyone works as a team, and helps each other when needed. I highly recommend.
Learning experiance
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Olean, NYSeptember 19, 2017
At OGH I met many physicians and other nurses who taught me many valuable assessment stratigies and skills that I have carried with me throughout my nursing career.

Want to know more about Olean General Hospital?

Ask a question
Job security, but low pay.
Environmental Services Aide (Current Employee) –  Olean, NYSeptember 17, 2017
Employees are kept busy for their entire shift, but it's a manageable workload. EVS Management is handled by Xanitos, Inc. Very "worker friendly."

The pay rates are terrible for support positions.
Competitive wages
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Olean, NYSeptember 6, 2017
This is a small/rural hospital but extremely busy because of the location. Great benefits and pay for nurses because the nurses work under New York State Nursing Association which is the Union.
Pros
Pay roll deduction for everything, usually offering sign on bonuses for specific dept. ie ED L&D
Small Hospital
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Olean, NYSeptember 5, 2017
Olean General is small hospital in a small town with small salaries for small work loads to help maintain small house holds with small expenses, and small yards.
Unreal
Staff RN (Former Employee) –  Olean, NYAugust 9, 2017
Worked on second floor. Work pace was impossible. Other nurses were not helpful and actually sabotaged me. Important information was withheld regarding pt conditions, planned procedures and revised diagnoses. Workload of 13 to 15 patients with an LPN including all medications, IVs, personal care, assessments, doctors orders, treatments, preparation for procedures. Horrible!
Pros
It was a job
Cons
Unrealistic working expectations
Great Hospital
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Olean, NYJuly 27, 2017
I love working as a volunteer at the OGH. The staffs are very welcoming and are willing to teach students to the best of their ability.I had a great time there.
Pros
free lunch after 3 hours of volunteering
Your skills are not valued at OGH
Mental Health Counselor (Former Employee) –  Olean, NYJuly 25, 2017
Mental health clinicians are not valued for the work we are capable of performing. Even with a Master's Degree you are not seen as anything more than a warm body. I was frequently taken from my post to fill in for a CNA or given the task of doing bed checks. Routinely, I was asked to perform duties that were beyond my scope of practice (i.e. blood pressure checks, urine collection). We were provided with very little training even though it was promised during the interview. The pay is atrocious and they should be ashamed to even offer what they do. Time off requests are typically denied and the onus of finding someone to fill in is on the employee. If you can't find another clinician to work for you, you can not have time off. There was very little support from management and clinicians are not treated with respect. There is almost no opportunity to use your clinical counseling skills.
Pros
Interacting with patients and actually providing mental health treatment
Cons
Poor management, low respect, horrible pay
worked short most of time-unsafe staffing
RN (Former Employee) –  Olean, NYJuly 6, 2017
OGH used to be a good place to work then someone hired this despicable CEO who goes out in our small town gets sloppy drunk. This CEO abuses his position and board of directors don't seem to care. He is a bully (when drunk and when sober) and a moral buster.The environment at OGH has completly changed for the worst.
Pros
some great co-workers
Cons
short staffed most of time
great coworkers
Office Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Olean, NYJune 22, 2017
great coworkers and room for career advancement. competitive benefit package and retirement plan. worked in 3 departments in ten years each was a building block for the next. They promote from within on regular basis.
90 day training was alot of information to retain for several departments. not really long enough.I would have liked to been assigned to one departmen
Patient Access Representative (Former Employee) –  Olean, NYMay 11, 2017
I enjoyed employment very much. Was overwhelming at times and a lot to retain. Very busy and fast paced but patient care is priority. Staff are very friendly and courteous and diligent regarding daily job requirements.
Pros
full time benfits good pay
Cons
fast paced training should be longer for each department
Ok Place to work
Nurse Assistant (Former Employee) –  Olean, NYMay 5, 2017
I only worked at Olean General as an Aid for a few months but I did not enjoy it much. The hospital is very understaffed and the staff available are overworked and underpaid. Although the benefits help to make up for it.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Olean General Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

Olean General Hospital Reviews by Location