Olin Corporation Employee Reviews

Stay away!
Driver (Former Employee) –  Lemont IlNovember 23, 2018
If you don’t mind busting your hump while others sit in their truck and watch you... that is if they are not sleeping or watching videos on their phone. This is the place for you. However, if you have any self respect Stay away!
When they are asked why don’t you help they smile and say “seniority”
I have worked a few union jobs and some of these guys are the kind that give unions a bad name.
Pros
Pay is ok. But not enough for the hazardous material you are handling
Cons
No management
Credit and collections supervisor. (Former Employee) –  Augusta, GA and Charleston, TN.November 9, 2018
Olin is strongly committed to excellence in protecting the environment, health, safety and security of their employees and those that live and work around their plants. Olin operations worldwide comply with all local requirements and implement other standards as required to protect the environment, health, safety and security of our operations. This includes a commitment to REACH in the EU and following the principles of Responsible Care around the globe. Collaborative team oriented work environment with good compensation and benefits.
Pros
Collaborative and family oriented work environment with good compensation and benefits.
This was my first real job and I loved it and all the people I worked with.
Executive Secretary (Former Employee) –  East Alton, ILOctober 11, 2018
Great company to work for, at the time they had thousands of employees and I loved working in Labor Relations with a great group of people. I learned alot!!
Pros
Cons
non
productive workplace
Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Oxford, MSSeptember 24, 2018
it was an okay job just needs better supervisors, I worked there a long time before I had any problems, they have a bad point system and vacation time policy
The work is not bad but management is horrible!!!
Primer Mixer (Current Employee) –  East Alton, ILJuly 19, 2018
If it wasn't for the poor management i wouldn't be looking for another job. There is constant harassment and not much you can do about it. Other than that its a cool job.
Pros
Money
Cons
Poor management
Temp position
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 18, 2018
I only worked here as a temp employee and it's not a very stressful job compared to some I've had. You will have 4 plus weeks of training. Management tries to help and does go to bat for their team. I'm not sure the pay when you get hired on but I've heard I may have more as a temp. Limited OT but there is a floating on-call schedule. Coworkers are great. There isn't a lot of room for growth in CS but the company is expanding.
Need a mechanical background. Willing to work in tight work space
Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Oxford, MSJuly 11, 2018
Good place to work for a person who takes their job with seriousness. Jobs are relevantly easy but can be stressful. Overtime is a must in most departments. Overall good place to work.
Pros
Hour paid break during the day
Very nice work environment
Utility Worker II (Former Employee) –  Oxford, MSJune 29, 2018
I would work there again being that there have been changes in management lately. They have a very flexible point system and work environment. They also gave good overtime hours.
Get a Foothold in the Plant World then JET!
Cell Operator (Current Employee) –  Plaquemine, LAJune 11, 2018
With the buyout Olin performed, taking a lot of Dow's chlorine production, they guaranteed their spot as a global leader in 4- 5 markets. A company with that current standing however, should back up their title by compensating their employees(the people who are the boots on the ground.)

Instead, the leadership at the Plaquemine site continue to say that if we are asked by someone why they should come to work for Olin, we are told to tell them "our story." Maybe the engineers can't wrap their troubleshooting minds around why there is such a high turnover rate, but if you look at the other plants along this area of the Mississippi River, they don't give you a "story", they give their employees better pay and much better benefits (including career development plans).

Years of poor management have allowed some rotten and un-caring people to become established in leadership roles. They do not show interest or care about the future of their employees.

All of this has been brought to leadership and nothing seems to have been worked on going on 3 years now. If things don't start improving they will find themselves yet another operator short. Although, as they have previously told operations who have years of experience here, "There are hundreds of people who will gladly take y'alls jobs."

All of that being said, I believe at the right site this company would be good to work for. Speaking to people at our sister site, across the river in St. Gabriel, they have a much better culture, better pay for work performed, and a more developed path for personal and professional development.
Pros
Easy day to day operations, easy rounds, you get to meet a lot of new and different people due to high turnover
Cons
Micro-managing supervisors, base salary 401k match (not gross like many of our competitors), difficult training system at our site (apparently other sites arent like this), called out after your shift has ended, called out on the weekends, no solid developement plan at our site
Currently full time after a 6 month contract position.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 28, 2018
Great teaching and learning environment. Travel as needed. Management supports new ideas. Growing group of new CSR's currently moved to Houston area.
Pros
Contract to Permanent position
Cons
Need to balance desks

Want to know more about Olin Corporation?

Ask a question
Loved working there when it was in Stamford, CT
Area Manager, Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Stamford, CTMay 14, 2018
Company has relocated and no longer offers positions held some 20+ years ago. Not sure of current standing, so cannot comment on culture and job positions.
fun hard work
Client Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Stamford, CTMay 10, 2018
Get team effort, great camaraderie. Corporate perks - hard work is appreciated. Managers are fair. Fun work environment Daily challenged, the days fly by
Decent
Process Operator (Current Employee) –  Freeport, TXApril 24, 2018
Pay is low for area and benefits have gotten worse. The company doesn't like to spend money on its employees and could work better with the union on issues.
money hungry company
Plant operator (Former Employee) –  Henderson, NVApril 15, 2018
It was a good place to work until global domination set in. Good pay, good benefits. Not an ideal work shift, but decent time off included in the difficult schedule.
Pros
union
Cons
union
Great Company
Accounting Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Henderson, NVMarch 26, 2018
This was a great company to work for. I was allowed to manage my departments independently. there was opportunity for advanced . I was promoted 4 time. and relocated to three locations. thew work culture was excellent.
Pros
Advancment
Cons
travel
It was just a job
Adjustor (Full-time) (Former Employee) –  Oxford, MSMarch 20, 2018
This company has potential to be great. The leadership roles are occupied by employees who are not properly trained or qualified for the roles. The jobs are appointed and credentials are irrelevant.
Competitive, collaborative and exciting job
Human Resources Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lake Charles, LA, East Alton IL,March 18, 2018
There was a high level of company pride when I worked there in the 90's. The upper management was professional, in control of the company and appreciative of all employee efforts. The company was spread out over a large area and different work area could offer very different experiences. I liked the in house cafeteria and the company reward system. It was difficult to get a job there, but not difficult to stay there long term.
Pros
team efforts, company price, paid well, kind company
Cons
old buildings
Good
Business Finance Manager (Current Employee) –  Midland, MIMarch 5, 2018
Good place to work. Management seemed to be OK except for my supervisor who all that worked for him, despised him. Management was made aware of his deficiencies by many, but shoes to take no actions. Almost all his direct reports transferred or quit. He did not pay me in accordance with our original agreements.
Pros
good people
Cons
low pay
PrProfessional enviorment U.S. Military, U.S. Secret Service, Olin Corp.
Security Consultant and Security Director (Former Employee) –  Norwalk, CTMarch 1, 2018
When leaving the U.S. Secret Service I became Security Director and Security Consultant at Olin Corp. My duties and responsibilities included interaction with the CEO, President , Chairman and their families, in addition to security responsibilities world wide. My career with the U .S. Military, Five U.S. Presidents, Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush 41, Olin Corporate executives personal families and homes, international travel. Mt work experience has been and is exceptional.
Pros
Professional enviornment
Poor place to work
Logistics QA Coordinator/ Chemical Operator (Former Employee) –  McIntosh, ALJanuary 25, 2018
not the best place to have a career. The staff is cut throat, the facility is dangerous and has many safety hazards all in the plant. Management just keeps putting off repairs and keeping the plant at full steam ahead without thinking of safety of the employees.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Poor management