Olin Corporation Employee Reviews

Training
Capper tec (Current Employee) –  Oxford, MSFebruary 12, 2019
Trash is poor they help u a little bit but don't tell anyone nothing when you ask questions about your work or what you suppose to do they don't want you to be better than them
Competitive Pay, Benefits are lacking, Stable Company
Process Operator (Current Employee) –  Freeport, TXFebruary 7, 2019
Olin is overall a good company to work for with good pay and retirement. Health benefits are over priced and not good quality. Supervision is lacking in raising morale and keeping employees happy.
Pros
Good pay/401K
Cons
Bad health benefits, Lacking supervision
Permanent Job
Data Tech/ALL (Former Employee) –  Plaquemine, LAJanuary 21, 2019
I liked working for Turner at Olin, until the change of management. Then everything changed. The new supervisor was cocky, self centered and a snake in the grass.
Great job for a student
Washington University OLIN Library Receptionist (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 16, 2019
The library recpetionist position allows for students to work while also making time for them to attend to their studies. Besides helping the occasional person find a book, there is not too much daunting work to be done.
Poor management. Great working environment.
Loading Operator (Current Employee) –  Oxford, MSJanuary 7, 2019
Olin shouldn't be a bad place to work. However, the lack of management and poor communication places unnecessary stress on their employees. I enjoy the people I work with, my actual job is okay, but I wish the company had more structure.
Pros
Holiday shutdown, quarterly catered luncheons
Cons
Short breaks, poor communication.
Long hours. Good pay
Group Leader/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  East Alton, ILJanuary 1, 2019
I enjoyed working with the people. Learning a new job. Upset the company relocated. I would have stayed with the company til retirement if it we're possible.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Shift change every week
productive place and fair
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  East Alton, ILDecember 21, 2018
fast pace work, forced overtime , work was inside, good union, the job is very safety awareness.everyone is instructed on good ethics. need too show up every day because point system.
Stay away!
Driver (Former Employee) –  Lemont IlNovember 23, 2018
If you don’t mind busting your hump while others sit in their truck and watch you... that is if they are not sleeping or watching videos on their phone. This is the place for you. However, if you have any self respect Stay away!
When they are asked why don’t you help they smile and say “seniority”
I have worked a few union jobs and some of these guys are the kind that give unions a bad name.
Pros
Pay is ok. But not enough for the hazardous material you are handling
Cons
No management
good place to work
JOURNEYMAN TOOL GRINDER (Former Employee) –  Winchester, ILNovember 17, 2018
Good place to work. I would have stayed if they were not closing the plant. There were great benefits. Equipment could have been updated but since they are moving the plant to Oxford Mississippi they were not interested in doing that.
Credit and collections supervisor. (Former Employee) –  Augusta, GA and Charleston, TN.November 9, 2018
Olin is strongly committed to excellence in protecting the environment, health, safety and security of their employees and those that live and work around their plants. Olin operations worldwide comply with all local requirements and implement other standards as required to protect the environment, health, safety and security of our operations. This includes a commitment to REACH in the EU and following the principles of Responsible Care around the globe. Collaborative team oriented work environment with good compensation and benefits.
Pros
Collaborative and family oriented work environment with good compensation and benefits.
This was my first real job and I loved it and all the people I worked with.
Executive Secretary (Former Employee) –  East Alton, ILOctober 11, 2018
Great company to work for, at the time they had thousands of employees and I loved working in Labor Relations with a great group of people. I learned alot!!
Pros
Cons
non
productive workplace
Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Oxford, MSSeptember 24, 2018
it was an okay job just needs better supervisors, I worked there a long time before I had any problems, they have a bad point system and vacation time policy
The work is not bad but management is horrible!!!
Primer Mixer (Current Employee) –  East Alton, ILJuly 19, 2018
If it wasn't for the poor management i wouldn't be looking for another job. There is constant harassment and not much you can do about it. Other than that its a cool job.
Pros
Money
Cons
Poor management
Temp position
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 18, 2018
I only worked here as a temp employee and it's not a very stressful job compared to some I've had. You will have 4 plus weeks of training. Management tries to help and does go to bat for their team. I'm not sure the pay when you get hired on but I've heard I may have more as a temp. Limited OT but there is a floating on-call schedule. Coworkers are great. There isn't a lot of room for growth in CS but the company is expanding.
Need a mechanical background. Willing to work in tight work space
Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Oxford, MSJuly 11, 2018
Good place to work for a person who takes their job with seriousness. Jobs are relevantly easy but can be stressful. Overtime is a must in most departments. Overall good place to work.
Pros
Hour paid break during the day
Very nice work environment
Utility Worker II (Former Employee) –  Oxford, MSJune 29, 2018
I would work there again being that there have been changes in management lately. They have a very flexible point system and work environment. They also gave good overtime hours.
Get a Foothold in the Plant World then JET!
Cell Operator (Current Employee) –  Plaquemine, LAJune 11, 2018
With the buyout Olin performed, taking a lot of Dow's chlorine production, they guaranteed their spot as a global leader in 4- 5 markets. A company with that current standing however, should back up their title by compensating their employees(the people who are the boots on the ground.)

Instead, the leadership at the Plaquemine site continue to say that if we are asked by someone why they should come to work for Olin, we are told to tell them "our story." Maybe the engineers can't wrap their troubleshooting minds around why there is such a high turnover rate, but if you look at the other plants along this area of the Mississippi River, they don't give you a "story", they give their employees better pay and much better benefits (including career development plans).

Years of poor management have allowed some rotten and un-caring people to become established in leadership roles. They do not show interest or care about the future of their employees.

All of this has been brought to leadership and nothing seems to have been worked on going on 3 years now. If things don't start improving they will find themselves yet another operator short. Although, as they have previously told operations who have years of experience here, "There are hundreds of people who will gladly take y'alls jobs."

All of that being said, I believe at the right site this company would be good to work for. Speaking to people at our sister site, across the river in St. Gabriel, they have a much better culture, better pay for work performed, and a more developed path for personal and professional development.
Pros
Easy day to day operations, easy rounds, you get to meet a lot of new and different people due to high turnover
Cons
Micro-managing supervisors, base salary 401k match (not gross like many of our competitors), difficult training system at our site (apparently other sites arent like this), called out after your shift has ended, called out on the weekends, no solid developement plan at our site
Currently full time after a 6 month contract position.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 28, 2018
Great teaching and learning environment. Travel as needed. Management supports new ideas. Growing group of new CSR's currently moved to Houston area.
Pros
Contract to Permanent position
Cons
Need to balance desks
Loved working there when it was in Stamford, CT
Area Manager, Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Stamford, CTMay 14, 2018
Company has relocated and no longer offers positions held some 20+ years ago. Not sure of current standing, so cannot comment on culture and job positions.
fun hard work
Client Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Stamford, CTMay 10, 2018
Get team effort, great camaraderie. Corporate perks - hard work is appreciated. Managers are fair. Fun work environment Daily challenged, the days fly by