Olive Garden Employee Reviews

Found 7,853 reviews matching the search See all 8,005 reviews
Fast-paced workplace with some decent management
Server (Current Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAJanuary 18, 2019
Customer service requires patience, but also a commitment to keeping the customer happy, while providing them with good food, respect, and a smile. Sales are involved as you must know the products available in order to explain them to the customers.
Server (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, COJanuary 18, 2019
If you've never served before, this is a great place to start. They sit you down and teach you everything you need to know about the company and what it means to be a great server. Once you're on the floor, you get a three-four table section, lots of help from team members, and lots of encouragement from management. Shifts are easy to get rid of and easy to pick up. The team is super friendly, at first a little intimidating, but once you've met everybody you feel like one of them. There's lots of room for advancement, all you have to do is ask. Scheduling is extremely flexible as well. Management is extremely understanding and helpful. Sometimes the business can be a little slow but as long as you understand the menu and are friendly to your guests, it shouldn't effect the amount you walk out with. You can choose to walk out with cash, get paid to your account, or have all your money paid to you at the end of each week. Overall a great place to work.
Pros
Good team, friendly environment
Cons
short shifts
Do Yourself A Favor and Work Somewhere Else
server (Current Employee) –  Topeka, KSJanuary 17, 2019
The management is a joke at best, they hardly communicate with one another, so you have to relay anything at least twice, if not more. The head manager will treat any irritation as an 'attitude' and completely shut you out. The hosts have hardly any idea what they're doing and will seat you however they want, even when you tell them directly not to or to wait. Some of the other servers are pretty cool, but the ones that have been there for a while are stuck up and know they can get away with anything from being late to taking days off with no fuss.
"If you're here, you're family" and that means servers are the red-headed step-kids that no one likes. You get treated like you're incompetent on a daily basis and there's very little recognition for good work. Surveys are forced and scores determine how soon you go from two tables to three. Three is also the highest number you'll have, and there are very few exceptions, usually for the ones that have been there a long time.
If you ask to move to a different position, you'll be disappointed because they only allow that if it suits them. Hardly anyone is trained in multiple positions, so there's many people who are overworked and can hardly take a day off without a fuss being made.
Management will also side with the guests, no matter what. They would rather you be made to look or feel stupid to your table than admit the guest is wrong.
Pros
Slight discounts on food
Cons
Poor management, poor room for job development, blatant favoratism
Fun place but stressful
Server (Current Employee) –  Coralville, IAJanuary 17, 2019
There’s a lot of work that goes into your tables that people don’t see and reciprocate the job you do for them. The managers care more about the guest experience than the workers
4.15/hr that all gets taxed out, the only money I get is my tips that are also taxed
For a first time server good place to start
Bartender/Server/Trainer (Former Employee) –  Burbank, ILJanuary 16, 2019
Place is great for a first time server. Really good training program. Management needed some work. Liked how they would have incentive for great sales.
Fast Food of Casual Dining
Server (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAJanuary 16, 2019
Worked here for 10+ years. Tips are great until Darden decided to have a value menu. Clientele changed to things hanging out their pants and not using toothbrushes. From 2000+ in tips for p/t to 400 per month . Terrible . Managers are always changing and now so do the employees. Used to have to have min 2 years exp. to be a server. Standards have dropped to no exp, no brain, a nice rack = hired! Benefits suck and incentives like co. Picnic are no longer! They do 1 Christmas breakfast with Santa that most employees dont go to. Ut does not focus on employees, rather the dishwashers uncle cousins great niece on the step moms sides 7 children. It's a joke!
Pros
JOKE! To give away or switch shifts
Cons
Management, company incentives, tips suck
Best Management I have worked for.
Customer Service and Food Services (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTJanuary 16, 2019
The Managers at Olive Garden were very friendly and relaxed when they could be, but were direct when necessary. The work environment was fast paced and fun. Often there would be music playing in the kitchen to keep morale high. overall a great experience working there.
Decent place to work.
Server/To-Go Specialist (Former Employee) –  Reynoldsburg, OHJanuary 16, 2019
Staff was friendly and loving. A second family if you will. Some of management was great, others weren't very understanding to life complications. Did not listen to staff.
Pros
Versillity in job titles
Cons
Often felt miserable, under appreciated and overworked.
Good Job
Server/Bartender (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLJanuary 16, 2019
I made good money at Olive garden. Management was good when
I was there. I always got regular hours every week. Servers helped run each others food..
Cook/Prep (Former Employee) –  Lake Charles, LAJanuary 16, 2019
I loved working there great people great boss great benefits I loved my job and my coworkers I miss it a lot the food was great I loved cooking it's was a clean place to work
Fun workplace
Server (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVJanuary 16, 2019
I learned how to run food quickly, and interact with guests. The hardest part is being attentive to all your tables when it gets busy. The most enjoyable part is interacting with people and being friendly.
Efficient
Server & Food Runner (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TX 75211January 15, 2019
I developed my upselling and efficiency skills along with customer service tactics that have helped me be able to communicate better with the people that I cater for, I learned that the guest must be satisfied and I also learned how to prioritize.
Fun fast past
Salad Alley (Former Employee) –  Springfield, OHJanuary 15, 2019
Working at Olive Garden was great. Was always busy. Was to make every salad for every server. Prepped desserts and fruit for the bar. Did opening and closing duties.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Not to many hrs.
Quick paced
Server (Former Employee) –  Houma, LAJanuary 15, 2019
Working at Olive Garden is fast paced, stressful, but also fun.
I had a great relationship with every coworker and manager. I made a lot of money by tips, the minimum wage is terrible.
Pros
Large discounts on food
Cons
Hours
quick money, great staff
SERVER (Current Employee) –  Springfield, PAJanuary 15, 2019
management inconsistent, but they are great people. flexible with scheduling, theres always plenty of shifts to work, kitchen team sucks, slow season can also be pretty rough
Corporate wormhole
Server/Trainer (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TX 78411January 15, 2019
It wasn't bad when I first began several years ago. There were the staple lunch specials including unlimited this-and-that for a low price which tends to attract high-maintenance, low-tipping clientele. Dinners and weekends were much better until the ever-dreaded Never-Ending-Pasta-Bowl promotion, which thankfully was only for a few weeks annually. As time went on, more promotions provided more for free at lower prices with little change to the set-up to accommodate the extra tasks.

It was common for any complaint, no matter how small or large, to be met by management with a free meal and a gift card practically begging them to return. It all seemed very desperate and most were very unsympathetic to how the practices impacted our income. It's hard to blame management, however, because it was known and clear that they had many more superiors to answer to regarding numbers and visitors. It seemed like everyone's job was on the line at any given time.

I've heard that some positive changes have been made, however, it may also be by a location-by-location basis.
Pros
Easy side work and running duties, meal discounts, advancement opportunities
Cons
Generally low pay, inconsistent clientele, food dies quickly, easy to get "free food"
The only thing that made serving worth it was not having sidework/silverware
Server (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALJanuary 15, 2019
The thing I did enjoy were the co-workers and $1 unlimited soup/salad for employees.

The managers acted like they were running a 4 star restaurant with a fast food mentality. The turnover rate in employees was astounding.

The customers were just as bad. It didn't matter how terrible the guests were or how in the wrong they were, the managers ALWAYS comped whatever food was on the ticket and never backed up the servers when you were just trying to do your job.
It got around all you had to do was complain you would get food for free.
Not having to stay and do a ton of housekeeping duties as far as cleaning and be checked was the only aspect of justifying the bad money for the work.
I've worked quite a few serving jobs and this one was unfortunately one of the worst ones.
Pros
cheap food, less cleaning
Cons
lazy management, lack of care for long ticket times
I enjoy working at Olive Garden
SERVER (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, NCJanuary 15, 2019
Olive Garden is a very nice place to work. Everyone truly works as a team, the managers are very flexible with your schedule, and you can get a shift picked up almost any time. The hours are not crazy, and if you are a double you will get a break.
Overall great experience
Server (Former Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FLJanuary 15, 2019
I really enjoyed my coworkers and working environment at Olive Garden. They were very understanding and accommodating toward their employees. I would recommend this work place to a friend.
N/a
Busser (Current Employee) –  Westminster, MDJanuary 15, 2019
Management is awesome. They are very understanding with personal life and work life.
The best thing about working about Olive Garden is that we can be able to work as a team.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Olive Garden. Our community is ready to answer.

52.8K
42.5K
31.8K

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Olive Garden.

Powered by Comparably