Oliver Wyman Group Employee Reviews

challenging workplace and clients. Colleagues were of the highest caliber
Partner, Leadership Capabilities (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 15, 2019
A great place to grow your career. Challenging clients and projects. Wonderful and smart colleagues. Travel both domestic and international. Viewed as "only as good as your last project"
Meeeh
Designer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 29, 2019
I'm not the person to ask about this company because my experience wasn't good toward the end of my tenure. Also, throughout my time there I had a lot of managers which was probably a bad sign given that mismanagement seemed to be a glaring issue there.
not worth it
Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 27, 2019
The people are pretty cool, but work-life balance is very low for most jobs. This is an up our out culture and most senior managers think everyone is replaceable. Almost no diversity in Senior roles.
Very Extraverted Firm
Office Services Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 19, 2019
Oliver Wyman is a great, fun place to work. There are many social committees to be a part of, and many events and parties to attend. This is a very extroverted place to work, which is great if you are extroverted. Can be very overwhelming for those who prefer to spend their time at work, working.
A Great Group of Bosses and Coworkers
ACTUARIAL INTERN (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 16, 2019
I learned an enormous amount and felt incredibly well-treated. The culture was very good.

One coworker began paternity leave while I was there and our boss definitely made it clear that she wanted him to know that he had every right to take a full leave, but that she would really like it if he could return sooner than planned. I wouldn't say that he was truly pressured to return early, but her support for him could've been a bit more wholehearted.

The other major weakness in my personal experience was that my internship was a bit chaotic because it was unofficial. My status occured because I was not a current student, but rather started my career late. I appreciate 100% that the company made an exception and specially created the temporary position specifically to benefit me, but I think it's worth ackowledging that they could've organized it a bit better. At times, I felt that those supervising me were perhaps overly kind for my good and may not have always given me fully honest feedback.

In spite of those very minor issues, I would recommend this employer enthusiastically to anyone and would gladly accept a position there in the future.
Good environment
Desktop Support (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 1, 2019
Very welcoming culture and environment overall. Great collaborative feel to all projects and decisions. Even the interview was a meeting with a wide range of staff and directors.
Job work and life balance
Producer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 2, 2019
An international company which provides the environment to work globally. Great work culture. Work and life balance. You can work remotely. I like the lunch and learn program and Friday happy hours.
Non-standard consulting
Associate Director (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIFebruary 1, 2019
I work in a non-standard part of the pyramid and the company has challenges in understanding how the career progression and compensation works for this model.
Productive place
Consultant in Financial services (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 2, 2018
Fast pace, worked late but advanced fast. Very good for a first job, but not a good work life balance, hence I decided to leave. People are really smart
Great Team, Great Collaboration between teams and management
Project Analyst/Consultant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 23, 2018
Every day was different. Assisted with all helpdesk and desktop support issues in NY office. Worked on various projects. I was in charge of encryption of all desktop and laptops globally. Including testing several different encryption software before settling on Safeboot. Once testing was completed I began the rollout which included offices in NY, London, Australia and Singapore. Assisted with email migration from Lotus Notes to Microsoft Exchange.
Pros
Challenging and interesting projects but young consultants are treated like pawns
Consultant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 6, 2018
Oliver Wyman is one of the top management consulting firms.
Pros:
- travel
- diversity of projects
- talented individuals around you

Cons:
- no sponsorship of visas for foreign workers
- low pay for the SF Bay Area
- low ownership of ideas and projects
- management considers young consultants as pawns
Poor place to work
CONSULTANT / TECHNICAL SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 4, 2018
Very poor management at all levels. Almost no recognition for good work. In most cases knew more than all mamangement levels. Could easily run thus company
Pros
Almos none
Cons
See above
Intellectually curious colleagues
Partner (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 8, 2018
Flexible work environment with smart, intellectually curious colleagues; demanding clients; very strong on risk management for financial institutions; less strong on strategy
Pros
Colleagues
Cons
Limited strategy work and brand
First job after business School
MERCER MANAGEMENT CONSULTING (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 4, 2018
Smart people. Data driven and analytical decision making. Good people. Worked hard and played hard. Overall great experience. I really enjoyed the experience.
Overall miserable place to work
Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 2, 2018
Oliver Wyman is the 'sweatshop' boutique consulting firm you have heard about at an international scale.
This sweatshop atmosphere is layered on top of a culture where it is difficult to trust/believe anything that individual managers or firm leaders tell you. If everything internally were how it is marketed, or how it is described by firm leadership then the firm would be fantastic, however the disconnect between description and reality is mind-bending.
as an example - the career trajectory here is described as 'not up or out', yet the compensation model and career counselling is explicitly up-or-out driven.
Managers are mostly just really good consultants who have limited managerial training, resulting in extreme micro-management of all of their direct reports.

the training routines here are underfunded and offered 1 year too late for most people (regardless of what the training is)
Pros
employees are on average nice people
Cons
everything else
I grew up at OW Delta...
Executive Assistant and Pipeline Administrator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 30, 2018
I enjoyed my career upward movement through the 10 years I was there. Everyone from the receptionist all the way up the leadership ladder are intelligent individuals. Its a culture of inclusiveness and support.
Pros
At the time we had free beverages and snacks
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 30, 2018
Very Busy for an EA. Lots of day to day responsibilities.
They had a lot of activities for team building which was nice.
There was a great diversity among the EAs.
Pros
shortish work day
Great Place
Office Support (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 22, 2018
It was a great organization to work for. Had I been offered a regular full-time position I certainly would have accepted it. It's a great location in the John Hancock building, the management was supportive. Great place to work.
Pros
free snacks, coffee, compensation
Cons
in the time I spent there it didn't seem to have much of an active culture.
Very particular culture. Either you fit in or you don't.
Senior Consultant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 27, 2018
Volatile work/life balance
Lack of proper support or guidance
System is set up success of fresh grads straight out of college, not experienced or lateral hires

Decent pay and benefits
Smart coworkers
Decent company until the merger.
Accounting Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 10, 2017
Enjoyed working there for the most part but the position was very limited and the Accountng systems were very old. The staff and management were ok, but nothing exceptional.
Pros
Liked the practice area which was financial consulting.
Cons
Old technology and no advancement.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Oliver Wyman Group. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP5%
In the Top 5% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Oliver Wyman Group.

Powered by Comparably