Olivet Nazarene University Employee Reviews

Collaborative Christian work environment
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Kankakee, ILMay 23, 2018
Excellent place to work, with people that are friendly, kind and forgiving. Learned a lot working for Olivet. Great opportunity that allowed for future advances.
Friendly, professional culture!
Associate (Former Employee) –  Bourbonnais, ILMay 21, 2018
Olivet is a wonderful place to work, especially in the Bourbonnais area. If you aren't a graduate of Olivet, I think the culture would still be welcoming and friendly. The pay isn't incredible, but it's worth it still for the kind people and general culture of kindness. The best part about working at Olivet was definitely the community of people - you're often surrounded by very positive attitudes and friendliness. The worst part was probably the compensation given the amount of work necessary for some roles, but many of the benefits helped to make this worthwhile.
Christian focused
Associate Professor (Former Employee) –  Rolling Meadows, ILMay 15, 2018
The faculty and staff are very supportive. Lots of mentoring, Very positive environment. Fair pay, Excellent professional development opportunities.
I was a basic TA, paid minimum wage, low hours.
Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bourbonnais, ILApril 13, 2018
Low hours, no complaints. Gave extra needed experiences. There are several jobs for students here for any major. The professors are caring and it is relatively easy to find a job here.
Pros
You are paid at the school you go to.
Cons
You aren't paid much.
Very organized
Teachers Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Bourbonnais, ILMarch 20, 2018
The tutoring and TA programs are very well managed and it is very clear what the job requirement is and what is expected of employees. It also not overwhelming at all.
Custodian
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Bourbonnais, ILFebruary 19, 2018
Cleaned from 10pm to 11:30pm for five days. It wasn't much but it was a good on campus job to make a little bit of money. Coworkers were great and loved working with them.
Great Work Environment
Processing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bourbonnais, ILFebruary 12, 2018
Working in the office of Admissions at Olivet Nazarene University was one of the best jobs that I had despite the fact that it didn't match my personality type. The management was wonderful and the team building and group strength was amazing.
Poor communication
Nurse Instructor (Current Employee) –  Oak Brook, ILFebruary 3, 2018
Work culture is poor. Clinic coordinator is disorganized, has poor communication skills. and lacks integrity. She lacks the skills required for her position
Pros
Cons
horrible place to work
Poor oversight, required to fit their mold
Worker bee (Current Employee) –  Bourbonnais, ILJanuary 19, 2018
The oversight from management was so poor that they build you up and then the next week decide you are not worth the poor pay they pay you. This is a cycle and you never know how they feel. There was a lot of talk about community but they only wanted people in their community who were perfect copies. The overwhelming disappointment that I felt as an employee is only trumped by my feeling of great sadness that the students will not be prepared for the real world upon graduation.
Pros
Christian environment
Cons
Everything else
Excellent workplace, low salary
Video Production Intern (Current Employee) –  Bourbonnais, ILOctober 22, 2017
Granted I was a student worker, a lot of my work was very taxing and I felt as though I deserved a raise for all of the work that I contributed. That being said, I loved who I worked with and the leadership within the office
Pros
Excellent Coworkers and environment
Cons
low student wages and barely any raises
Great Place
Boiler Room Attendant (Former Employee) –  Bourbonnais, ILOctober 18, 2017
The boiler room is a great place to start out working if you have a good work ethic and you know your tools. As long as you are willing to work hard and don't try any tricks, like trying to do your makeup or watching your favorite sports team on your phone instead of working you will do fine.
Pros
flexibleish hours
Cons
graveyard shifts
Financial Solutions Counselor
Financial Solutions Counselor (Current Employee) –  Oak Brook, ILOctober 3, 2017
Overall I enjoy working for Olivet Nazarene University. There are a few things I am not happy with, but like all jobs there are pros and cons. The job work/life balance at Olivet is the best I have experienced. Unfortunately, there are some major communication barriers between departments and there is a sense of favoritism.
Student employment
Media Specialist (Current Employee) –  Bourbonnais, ILAugust 29, 2017
As good a work environment as I could ask for. My boss is very flexible in scheduling us, as we are all attending college, he understands that college is a priority.
Pros
Great management, very flexible schedule
Cons
Minimum wage
Great environment to serve students
DIRECTOR OF MISSIONS AND STUDENT MINISTRIES (Former Employee) –  Bourbonnais, ILAugust 21, 2017
I was in the student development department which was the best. I had great bosses and co workers. It was challenging and fulfilling. The university had a high standard of excellence and commitment to the student education and development. We were given extra paid days off, Christmas bonus, fancy dinner, retirement, and flexibility.
Pros
lots of freedom, trust, perks, great people
Cons
hourly compensation was not fair for task/responsibility
Excellent campus, everyone is friendly and supportive
Public Safety Officer (Former Employee) –  Bourbonnais, ILAugust 8, 2017
Working for ONU was one of the best experiences I have ever had. From management to supportive staff, everyone was excellent. Pay was a little under the norm, but it was worth it for the environment and job.
Waste of time and skills
They always change (Former Employee) –  IllinoisJuly 22, 2017
You can waste your time being a great employee and never advance or go find a job that pays significantly more anywhere else. The managemt doesn't even believe in the "mission" they try to brainwash everyone into taking on so you'll be complacent with lack pay and lack of respect. They also expect you to work above and beyond (I.e. Overtime with no overtime pay) to prove you're a great employee or threaten with letting you go. They care less for their employees and students than they do about the almighty $$$. Employees are made to feel guilty for using health insurance.
Pros
Free tuition
Cons
Low pay, no opportunity for advancement, management is shady
work study
boiler watch (Former Employee) –  Bourbonnais, ILJune 8, 2017
maintained boiler levels
stripped wire
took logs of gas levels in the morning
fixed any problems that occurred within the facility
drained the boilers
Professional and welcoming atmosphere
Systems Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Bourbonnais, ILJune 5, 2017
I was responsible for maintaining the campus' technology as a student worker. There were many tasks involved, and got to interact with lots of friendly users. Coworkers were great.
Pros
Free lunches and coffee, cheap snacks, flexible hours
Calm and aesthetically pleasing workplace with plenty of artistic and musical events throughout the year.
HELP DESK (Current Employee) –  Bourbonnais, ILJune 2, 2017
Most days at work involve staying seated at the help desk while assisting those wishing to utilize practice rooms provided by the School of Music, while monitoring every room throughout the building every hour on the half hour and tallying use of said practice rooms. Upkeep of the School of Music building throughout shifts are imperative, as well as providing a pleasant experience to those who inquire about recitals and plays. Management is very understanding, and willing to work with your university schedule during the year to give you the best shift for you. One of the most enjoyable parts of the job is providing excellent hospitality to patrons of music and art alike.
Nursing Professor
Nursing Professor (Current Employee) –  Bourbonnais, ILMay 24, 2017
ONU is incredibly disgusting place to work as a Nursing Professor. The level coordinators are so difficult to work with as many of them have an attitude problem. They thing they know everything and not responsive to feelings and responses of their staff. Even if they pay me a million dollars, I would not come to work here again. Looking for a new job.
Pros
Cons
complaining level coordinators, poor pay, and no motivation