Ollie's Bargain Outlet Employee Reviews

If you want to manage but not be able to manage this is the job for you!
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Pine Bluff, ARJanuary 11, 2019
There is a lot of big talk with this company and expanding and moving up but if you don’t fear HR you won’t make it a year. You not allowed to actually manage anything without HR. You can send someone home and HR will tell them to come back. Payroll was so so for my area so was the salary. The DM I had was a nice guy but that is actually the only perks. The find old buildings to set up in that have millions of issues that won’t ever get fixed. They live up to the motto Good Stuff Cheap.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Everything under the sun
Coworkers were great! Management sucked
Freight Flow Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MIDecember 23, 2018
They expect you to go above and beyond your job and help management with their job for no extra pay and raises are normally 10 cents if your lucky. Expectations are high and the pay is low
Very laid back
Sales Supervisor/Manager (Former Employee) –  Johnson City, NYJanuary 7, 2019
Follies is a great place to work for although the break a lot of rules there the place itself is great to work it is a very family orientated place the hours are good the pay is iffy the company doesn't like to.give raises or recognition of your performance
Perks Not Worth The Headaches
Assistant Team Leader (Former Employee) –  FloridaAugust 11, 2018
I enjoyed the setup process and opening the new store. Worked my way up to making $11.50 as an ATL. Seriously?! $11.50 as an Assistant Manager. There is a tremendous amount of growth and subsequent opportunity in this company. If you're an external hire, you will make infinitely more than if you work your way up, which is ridiculous.
I've never been motivated by money, but with this company I was certainly DEmotivated by the lack of it.
Pros
20% employee discount, part-timers accumulate PTO
Cons
Compensation, Hierachy out of touch
Very Organized And Friendly Environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 27, 2018
The Hardest Part Of The Job Is When We Have To Do The Yearly Inventory. Management Is Polite And Respectful. The Best Part Of The Job Is When You Get Acknowledged For All The Hard Work You Do.
Pros
The 20% Discount You Get As An Employee
Cons
As A Part Time Employee You Get Zero Benefits
Lousy working enviroment
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Saint Clairsville, OHJuly 31, 2018
Not a very good ace to work alot of negativity inside and outside. Managers not getting along not enough team effort with the Management staff. No praises toward the employees turn over rate is out of control. Not enough hours for part-time and no direction from corporate.
Pros
Employee Discount
Cons
Not enough hours not enough pay work enviroment stressfull
Poor environment as DM is mot supportive
Store Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 26, 2018
I do not recommend. Poor and stressful. No support whatsoever from the upper management. Company Carrie's product that is out dated or will not last. If you dont believe me try it. Hopefully you will not regret it.
Pros
Stressful environment and no support
Benefits
Didn’t like working there
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Parma, OHJanuary 14, 2019
I felt like there wasn’t a good energy there. You could tell no one wanted to be there and people were just very rude to each other which made it uncomfortable
Cons
No benefits
nightmare
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Lexington, VAOctober 14, 2018
a typical day would be to unload the truck and pretty much run the freight yourself because the store manager was busy making everyone else happy and telling them they didn't have to run freight. So it would fall on just a few people to do it.
benefits
Cons
everything else
Not a great choice
Title- Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJune 10, 2018
The best part of the job was the customers. Management was hiding most of the time. Co-workers did not show up to work alot but who can blame them. Full time employees barely made 40 hours and part time sometimes had as little as 8 hours. Who can live like that? There is not alot of positions so if management doesnt leave you are stuck in your role for years. But its a good temp job maybe just until you find a real job.
Pros
Great customers
Cons
Low pay, no hours, benefits not good
good job,sucky pay.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Merritt Island, FLOctober 24, 2018
I have worked less hard for more money. it doesn't make sense to pay only 9.25 for throwing truck and setting up the store. I can understand that for cashiers cause that's easy but they need better pay and benefits.
Salary is not much but can be ok if you love people
Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Rocky Mount, NCAugust 17, 2018
Job does not offer much pay. Great people to work with. Salary is not great but does offer great training. Even if you are considered full time you may get 35 hours of time per week. Not a full 40
Management is cut-throat; Toxic Culture
Cashier/tagger (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GAMay 27, 2018
,Fast-paced work lots of freight everyday this work place was so toxic Management shows no empathy for the employee only about int their own career, the customer was the thing that made the job bearable.
Pros
Store discount, 401K
Cons
Management, No job security, Consistent high turnover
Good Job for high school students
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Dover, DEApril 13, 2018
It is a pretty chill job. It is rarely busy so the majority of the time is spent cleaning and reorganizing the store. The coworkers are cool but the managers are incompetent. The managers are literally chosen in the order for which they were hired. So when someone leaves, the person who was hired directly after them is the one who steps regardless of work ethic or experience. The pay isn't bad if it is your first job or a high school job. It is not enough to raise a family on.
Review Summary of Ollie's
Sales Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Cordele, GAOctober 22, 2018
I was part of the initial store set up team. When I entered the building it was empty, I was/am a hard worker for this company. I always worked extra hours when asked, worked days off when asked, worked double and over night shifts. I am rarely late or out sick for any job. A typical day at work is busy and stressful. I am expected to do the work of about 4 people in 7.5 hours. That is not possible but that's what they expect. I've learned how the retail business works, which was a new field of work for me. The management varies. It has changed since I have been there. There are some days management is good and some days not.
The workplace culture is good. The hardest part of the job is the unrealistic expectations stated above. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping customers and my co workers are very friendly.
Pros
employee discounts
Cons
irregular hours
Productive and fun workplace
Cashier/Recovery (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJune 24, 2018
be willing to work flexible schedules
be available for call-ins or to pick up shifts
good for teens/ college students
be willing to help others
raises are rare
Pros
discounts
Cons
pay, schedules
Stressful,unfair,mismanaged store
cashier and then department supervisior (Former Employee) –  Muskegon, MIJanuary 3, 2019
The store set up was the best part of working at Ollie's Bargain outlet. As a cashier i often worked a 5 - 6 hour shift which management made me take a 1/2 lunch after working only 2 hours.My typical week as a cashier was 15-18 hours a week, not enough to live on. So making cashiers take unpaid lunches made things worse.There was a lot of favoritism. Tons of tardies,and call ins were overlooked. As far as advancement in the work place. They didn't post jobs,preference was given to department supervisors.Then if they didn't want it,they would pick someone they wanted to fill the position. Things got a little better towards the end of my departure there.Not enough store employees were hired on purpose. Lack of management doing their job. The back room was stuffed most of the time. the store would get 2-3 truck loads a week. trucks don't get cancelled, just delayed for next week. They expected the back room to get cleared out by some miracle.Once i became a department supervisor, i became more of aware of the injustice that went on. I could not continue to work there.
Pros
20% discount
Cons
Not enough hours to live on. poorly managed store.
Productive and fun workinf place.
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Angola, INDecember 18, 2018
I clock in to work everyday to start my day. I then have to go and out my belongings into a locker. Next I go into our receiving area and look for my freight to put out. Once I've located freight I have to assess on where it all goes. I've learned a lot about team work and customer service skills while being at ollies. The management at ollies are very upbeat and no fun. They know what needs to be done and instructs us to do so. My coworkers and very hardworking and very helpful if needed. Ollies is a store that buys items that are remanufactured, store buyouts, and factory closeouts. Our motto is "Good Stuff Cheap". The hardest part about the job is, there is so much freight coming in on a weekly basis. We receive 2 trucks one week and three trucks of freight another week. I love working for ollies because you can have fun while also getting your work done. Everyone there makes it enjoyable from the workers to the customers.
Pros
Lunch, breaks, good atmosphere
Cons
Too many items, not enough people
Horrid place to work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Kingston, NYDecember 15, 2018
Nothing about this store was good.. poor management..poor team players..under staffed.. under paid.. no incentives..no appreciation..over worked no sense of accomplishment ever.. no rewards.. I'd never refer anyone to work for any Ollies.. District Management is horrible no support undermining horrible people.. your told you'll go in a program to build your skills and it is a trainwreck.. promises are made and never kept.. jobs are dumped on you cause in your job descriptions it states ( and any other duties given) yea well they take full advantage of that statement... on any level your treated like dirt.. they go through staff like water no one stays because they realize once they get there and are fed the garbage lines of great things what a truly horrible place it is.. the working conditions are extremely bad.. Fertilizer and Mold from water soaked rugs fumes from carpets many people get sick from being enclosed in there .. no ventilation..your exposed to alot of chemicals
Pros
Cons
Everything is a Con
Traffic Coordination
Inbound Traffic Coordinator (Former Employee) –  York, PAJanuary 18, 2018
The typical day had an active work environment that required me to stay on top of the orders for suppliers to be scheduled to deliver their product to the warehouse for distribution.

I have learned to go with the flow of an active work environment and how to work between departments to collaborate on orders.

Management has helpful people who are team players. This is a good company that provides good health benefits, and store discounts. The company has stock options and 401K.

The hardest part of the job was the daily necessities that were required to be filled. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people that I worked with on a daily bases.
Pros
store discounts, full time, health benefits
Cons
active work environment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ollie's Bargain Outlet. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.3Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

2.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight