Olympic Steel Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Don't treat employee the same
TRAFFIC COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Winder, GAMay 27, 2018
The corporate office is a joke. They so worried about cya when you tell them a person has violate their rules. They don't care is about making sure they look good.
Pros
Everyone know there job
Cons
People do not want to do their jobs.
Very demanding workload, requires strong time management & data entry
Accounts Receivable Associate (Former Employee) –  Bedford Heights, OHMay 20, 2018
A typical day involves printing a ton of reports and emails, prioritizing your day while keeping strict organization of documents and communications. I learned a lot about accounts receivable from a manufacturing standpoint. The management allows you to work, but demands success and meeting deadlines. You will receive feedback frequently if you don't. The culture is a close-knit group, and you get the pros and cons of how a family acts.
Pros
Plenty room to advance, Very business-oriented
Cons
Often heavy workload, makes you less willing to take personal time
Fast paced hard work.
grinder (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, MNMay 16, 2018
This job was handling all types of steel. Safety was a priority. One day I would grind 20lbs pieces the next 500lbs pieces. This job you really needed to pay attention to what you were Doing.
Pros
Good pay and the people are great
Cons
They dont hire felons
Competetive work place
Shop helper (Former Employee) –  Heights, WVMay 3, 2018
It is a real competetive work place. Hours second and third shift. First shift is for workers thats been there for years. Something that a new hire will have to work and put the years in for.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Competetive and shift changes and lay offs
a lot of physical work
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, MNApril 23, 2018
the job was okay. The work was hard the people were ok, The management had unrealistic expectations of production. the schedule was nice. Mandatory overtime when busy.
Pros
Paid weekly
Cons
short breaks, very physical work.
This was very hot place to work
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Chambersburg, PAApril 16, 2018
Working here in the summer time it is very very hot around the burn tables and the job is very everyone has to be on top of things at all time its very very Dangerous.
Pros
The weekends are free
Cons
hot work and Dangerous
Bad communication
Crane Operator (Current Employee) –  Bettendorf, IAMarch 21, 2018
Bad place to work, they don’t communicate well with others. Not enough people there to run 3 shifts. Very stressful place. There training sucks there.
Work hard
Packing Associate (Former Employee) –  GaMarch 19, 2018
Work hard and keep your head up never allow people to tell you what you aren't worth keep moving forward times will be difficult but you have to stay focus manufacturing is not an easy profession that have it is stressful time consuming and there are going to be days where the money is not going to be worth it but if this is what you're interested in Olympic Steel is not a bad place to start you will learn a lot of things about fabricating material and how to work through situations that are tough just understand quitting is not an option
Olympic
Shop Helper (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, MNMarch 14, 2018
I was only there a short time, just 3 months I liked everyone there the job was a good job the pay was ok, and I would go back there or recommend someone else to work there.
Pros
non
Cons
non
I liked working there.
Plasma Operator (Former Employee) –  Bettendorf, IAMarch 6, 2018
I started off as a coil bay crane operator for 6 months, which I was fast and efficient at, I won a bid to run a plasma cutting job, and did that until I left.
Pros
They cared about the employees gave us a whole weeks worth of pay for extra Christmas
Cons
Cold in the winter inside.
great place
Floor Hand (Former Employee) –  Bettendorf, IAMarch 3, 2018
nice place to work alot of good people moved out of state otherwise would of never left there wish there were more companies like this in the quad city area.
Do yourself a favor and just DON'T WORK HERE
Quality Assurance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Chambersburg, PAFebruary 22, 2018
This company is corrupt from top to bottom. Hostile work environment, poor morale, rules are made up as they go depending on who you are and whether or not you go out drinking and golfing with the management. Hire you in for one position and then because management does not have any backbone you are changed to something else a year later when they don't like that you actually want the employees under you to do their jobs instead of sitting in the General Managers office with their feet up.

People hired from the local bar to perform positions that they are not qualified for and are allowed to treat their co-workers, customers and management with disrespect and hostility and nothing is ever done to fix the situation even with the corporate office is involved. Instead of solving the issue they just push out the employees who actually care.

I have worked some pretty horrible jobs in my life but this was the worst place I have ever worked. Don't listen to the line of bull management spews because it is all lies to get you in the door. I thought I was going in for a great job where I could make a difference and it turned out to be a toxic dump.

All of the negative reviews on this company are completely true.
Pros
Decent pay if you are naive on the work environment
Cons
see description below
Can be a fun chill place
Material Handler/Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Winder, GAFebruary 18, 2018
Chill place most of the time. But can be stressful at times. Some leads can be jerk like but just do your job and its not that bad. They do need to communicate things better.
Pros
Works well if something comes up
Cons
Communicate
Stressful and lack of teamwork
Accounting Associate Sr (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, MNJanuary 30, 2018
Most days I perform my required data entry and posting of invoices. So mornings I tend to keep to myself, since they are heavily focused on entry. The culture is often times stressful ever sense we converted to a new operating system. No one seems to know to generate certain reports, or even how the system is supposed to work. That includes the core training team from corporate. This has lead to me rarely enjoying my job anymore at Olympic.
hostile work environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 28, 2018
Terrible environment. owners/managers were all bullies and bigots and do not understand anything at all about working with people. Men are lewd and harassment is the norm.

Run, run away....
unsafe, cliques
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Mount Sterling, KYJanuary 15, 2018
Second shift has a clique of young men in their 20's that stick together against others. They are allowed by management to harass, intimidate other employees. They drink on-site during work hours, skateboard in parking lot, throw metal at each other and horseplay all night. Not to mention the vulgar language other employees are made to here.
Pros
benefits, pay
Cons
cliques, unsafe
Do your job
General Utility Worker (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJanuary 4, 2018
Just do your job and you will be ok. They only have 3 ladies working at this company and they give favoritism to the ladies. The afternoon boss is cool but the day shift boss and supervisor are idiots. The plant manger can be either cool or a real jerk.
Laser Operator (Former Employee) –  Bettendorf, IADecember 27, 2017
Good place to work. Good managers. You were always kept in the loop about changes. Good work environment. Safe place to work.always kept busy. Management kept eye out for good workers employee of the month. If we worked weekends
Pros
Good management
Cons
Hard to advance
fine
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, MNDecember 12, 2017
I learned several things from Olympic Steel about the steel business, slitting steel, supervisor duties and productivity. Benefits are very good. Good place to work.
It was a fun place to work.
Truck Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  Bettendorf, IAOctober 29, 2017
Good place to work. The office people were great to work with. There was generous paid time off as well as understanding unpaid time off due to emergency, etc.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Olympic Steel. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.1InHerSight Score

1.8Personal Development

1.5Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight