Olympic Steel Employee Reviews

Busy workplace
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIOctober 10, 2018
Olympic Steel was a great place to work. Everyone was very helpful and attentive although it was only a temporary position. There was a lot to learn and the work was challenging.
A cool job to work there.
General Utility / Assembly Stacker (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MI.October 10, 2018
A cool job to work there. my coworkers were great. A team effort. Supervisor and Management needs to listen more towards me and my fellow coworkers input.
Pros
Needs to upgrade their equipment, etc.....
Cons
Needs to hire more people in the near future., etc.....
Don’t do it
Grinder (Current Employee) –  Mount Sterling, KYSeptember 17, 2018
Place sucks they don’t care about you and never will. They hire family and promote them faster then you. They don’t care if you get hurt they expect you to work
Poor training. High turnover rate
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Bettendorf, IASeptember 11, 2018
Training on was not good. When I was working split shift wrong part loaded on truck and they blamed me since I had initialed paperwork. But many truckers had loaded parts on that truck. I was let go for this.

No job security!

Also multiple mistakes were made on my pay checks. Taking out 401k and overcharging for health care.
closed minded nepotism
Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHSeptember 5, 2018
A good place to make a fair wage. Culture is not consistent with stated core values. If you like to participate in meetings with no conclusive directions, this is your place.
plasma operator
plasma cutter (Current Employee) –  Chambersburg, PAAugust 29, 2018
Plasma cutter, load programs in computer, cut steel, measure parts, operate forklift, overhead cranes, check material before burning, remove scrap. Use torch to cut scrap, Log material used and good parts/ bad parts
Sucks
Laser Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Bedford Heights, OHAugust 26, 2018
Dangerous work area
some co workers idiots and safety risk

mangers couldn't pour water out of a boot if instructions were on the sole.

if you like pain then apply
Pros
1 or 2 friends
Cons
everything else
Stressful workplace
Overhead Crane Operator (Former Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILAugust 21, 2018
Its more of a race thing. Hispanics get away with everything. The manager chuck dont like to be challenged. That went u are being targeted. Management so bad.
Pros
Nice starting time and benefits.
Cons
Beyond poor management and poor pay.
Great place to learn new experiences
Overhead Crane Operator (Former Employee) –  Bettendorf, IA 52722August 20, 2018
First job and where I learned to love the steel industry, was taught how to use a single and dual sheet lifter using a R/C Remote and a pendant, great trainer, everyone was very patient in training me and I was able to use alot of my military training to effectively and safely do my job.
Pros
Great learning experience
Cons
The job title I had was not a "crane operator" so the rate of pay was less than expected
Old school manufacturing
Auditor (Former Employee) –  Bedford Heights, OHAugust 15, 2018
I spent a long time there and I did mostly lateral moves. Manufacturing is a difficult environment and does not provide the flexibility that more progressive companies provide. There is no work from home, men must wear ties, and maximum vacation is 3 weeks.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Low pay, minimum vacation time, no flexibility
Good paying job but not very family oriented
CNC Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Franklin County, PAJuly 31, 2018
I love working this job but do not like how the company expects you to work so many hours without consideration for family. (7 days a week, 12 hour days)
what i learned change my life.
Laser Operator/ Inspector (Former Employee) –  Bedford, OHJuly 25, 2018
I really liked working at Olympic steel . i really learned a lot working their. and was given the chance to make some advancements while working for them.
Hard work
Picker/Packer/Expediter (Former Employee) –  Chambersburg, PAJuly 25, 2018
This was a team work group with a fast pace work ethics. The management was fair and never overworked you as a induvial. The job was dirty and sometimes hot but a good bunch to work for.
Sales
Product Specialist (Current Employee) –  AnonymousJuly 18, 2018
Overall a solid company. Only cons involve management pointing fingers at other departments causing issues to elevate. On-time delivery performance is week. However, it can be a fun place to work.
Not a good experience
CNC Operator (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, MNJuly 17, 2018
Ok for training and learning. I don't really have much more to say other than that. Not a place to stick around if you want advancement opportunities outside of the plant.
Horrible place to work
SHOP LEAD/MACHINE OPERATOR (Current Employee) –  Chambersburg, PAJuly 11, 2018
Don't ever work there! Horrible bosses and work environment. You will never get anywhere. They force you to work horrible hours and switch you back and forth between shifts.
Working at Olympic Steel
Machine Operator, CNC Plasma Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Chambersburg, PAJuly 9, 2018
Working at Olympic Steel I learned a lot. I was able to learn from other coworkers there. Multi-tasking is a must and being a team player is key in order to have a successful working environment. The hardest part of the job would be dealing with other's unequal level of commitment to the job to what mine was. I am very committed to my job and everything that I put into it so seeing others not reach their full potential was hard. I lead by example in hope that others can learn from me as I learn from them. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with others and learning from their experiences and advancing my skill base through the help of others.
Pros
coworkers crockpot dinners, diversity of coworkers
Cons
short breaks, little management communication, under appreciated via managemnt
Worst job ever
Overhead Crane Operator (Former Employee) –  Gary, INJune 30, 2018
Had a terrible foreman was treated unfairly. It was the worst job I have ever had management didn't care about there employee's and they only gave raises if you threatened to quit.
Pros
Cool crew
Cons
Bad management
short term
Material Handler/Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Winder, GAJune 28, 2018
this is not an long term employment. higher management are not willing to do the necessary steps to make the job great for the employees. more worried about to money in their own pockets
Tough job, but fairly fulfilling.
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Siler City, NCJune 6, 2018
Enjoyed working here most of the time. Very busy and good time management is a must. Unfortunately the company was having issues being cash flow positive at that location and at the end of the third quarter my position was RIF'd. Company has a good set of core values and has CI and 5S implementation. I enjoyed supervising the crew, most of the time.
Pros
Great first experience into the manufacturing industry
Cons
Intense factory tempo

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Olympic Steel. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.1InHerSight Score

1.8Personal Development

1.5Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight