Olympic Steel Employee Reviews

Don’t do it
Grinder (Current Employee) –  Mount Sterling, KYSeptember 17, 2018
Place sucks they don’t care about you and never will. They hire family and promote them faster then you. They don’t care if you get hurt they expect you to work
closed minded nepotism
Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHSeptember 5, 2018
A good place to make a fair wage. Culture is not consistent with stated core values. If you like to participate in meetings with no conclusive directions, this is your place.
Sucks
Laser Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Bedford Heights, OHAugust 26, 2018
Dangerous work area
some co workers idiots and safety risk

mangers couldn't pour water out of a boot if instructions were on the sole.

if you like pain then apply
Pros
1 or 2 friends
Cons
everything else
Stressful workplace
Overhead Crane Operator (Former Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILAugust 21, 2018
Its more of a race thing. Hispanics get away with everything. The manager chuck dont like to be challenged. That went u are being targeted. Management so bad.
Pros
Nice starting time and benefits.
Cons
Beyond poor management and poor pay.
Great place to learn new experiences
Overhead Crane Operator (Former Employee) –  Bettendorf, IA 52722August 20, 2018
First job and where I learned to love the steel industry, was taught how to use a single and dual sheet lifter using a R/C Remote and a pendant, great trainer, everyone was very patient in training me and I was able to use alot of my military training to effectively and safely do my job.
Pros
Great learning experience
Cons
The job title I had was not a "crane operator" so the rate of pay was less than expected
Old school manufacturing
Auditor (Former Employee) –  Bedford Heights, OHAugust 15, 2018
I spent a long time there and I did mostly lateral moves. Manufacturing is a difficult environment and does not provide the flexibility that more progressive companies provide. There is no work from home, men must wear ties, and maximum vacation is 3 weeks.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Low pay, minimum vacation time, no flexibility
Good paying job but not very family oriented
CNC Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Franklin County, PAJuly 31, 2018
I love working this job but do not like how the company expects you to work so many hours without consideration for family. (7 days a week, 12 hour days)
what i learned change my life.
Laser Operator/ Inspector (Former Employee) –  Bedford, OHJuly 25, 2018
I really liked working at Olympic steel . i really learned a lot working their. and was given the chance to make some advancements while working for them.
Sales
Product Specialist (Current Employee) –  AnonymousJuly 18, 2018
Overall a solid company. Only cons involve management pointing fingers at other departments causing issues to elevate. On-time delivery performance is week. However, it can be a fun place to work.
Not a good experience
CNC Operator (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, MNJuly 17, 2018
Ok for training and learning. I don't really have much more to say other than that. Not a place to stick around if you want advancement opportunities outside of the plant.
Horrible place to work
SHOP LEAD/MACHINE OPERATOR (Current Employee) –  Chambersburg, PAJuly 11, 2018
Don't ever work there! Horrible bosses and work environment. You will never get anywhere. They force you to work horrible hours and switch you back and forth between shifts.
Working at Olympic Steel
Machine Operator, CNC Plasma Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Chambersburg, PAJuly 9, 2018
Working at Olympic Steel I learned a lot. I was able to learn from other coworkers there. Multi-tasking is a must and being a team player is key in order to have a successful working environment. The hardest part of the job would be dealing with other's unequal level of commitment to the job to what mine was. I am very committed to my job and everything that I put into it so seeing others not reach their full potential was hard. I lead by example in hope that others can learn from me as I learn from them. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with others and learning from their experiences and advancing my skill base through the help of others.
Pros
coworkers crockpot dinners, diversity of coworkers
Cons
short breaks, little management communication, under appreciated via managemnt
short term
Material Handler/Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Winder, GAJune 28, 2018
this is not an long term employment. higher management are not willing to do the necessary steps to make the job great for the employees. more worried about to money in their own pockets
Decent employer
Forklift/machine and crane operator (Former Employee) –  Chambersburg, PAJune 2, 2018
It was a decent place to work. Very dirty and smokey in that that cut steel. It was a hars job and long hours. Not the harshest job ive had but tough.
Pros
Good employees
Cons
Dirty ans heavy lifting
Don't treat employee the same
TRAFFIC COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Winder, GAMay 27, 2018
The corporate office is a joke. They so worried about cya when you tell them a person has violate their rules. They don't care is about making sure they look good.
Pros
Everyone know there job
Cons
People do not want to do their jobs.
Very demanding workload, requires strong time management & data entry
Accounts Receivable Associate (Former Employee) –  Bedford Heights, OHMay 20, 2018
A typical day involves printing a ton of reports and emails, prioritizing your day while keeping strict organization of documents and communications. I learned a lot about accounts receivable from a manufacturing standpoint. The management allows you to work, but demands success and meeting deadlines. You will receive feedback frequently if you don't. The culture is a close-knit group, and you get the pros and cons of how a family acts.
Pros
Plenty room to advance, Very business-oriented
Cons
Often heavy workload, makes you less willing to take personal time
Fast paced hard work.
grinder (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, MNMay 16, 2018
This job was handling all types of steel. Safety was a priority. One day I would grind 20lbs pieces the next 500lbs pieces. This job you really needed to pay attention to what you were Doing.
Pros
Good pay and the people are great
Cons
They dont hire felons
Competetive work place
Shop helper (Former Employee) –  Heights, WVMay 3, 2018
It is a real competetive work place. Hours second and third shift. First shift is for workers thats been there for years. Something that a new hire will have to work and put the years in for.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Competetive and shift changes and lay offs
a lot of physical work
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, MNApril 23, 2018
the job was okay. The work was hard the people were ok, The management had unrealistic expectations of production. the schedule was nice. Mandatory overtime when busy.
Pros
Paid weekly
Cons
short breaks, very physical work.
This was very hot place to work
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Chambersburg, PAApril 16, 2018
Working here in the summer time it is very very hot around the burn tables and the job is very everyone has to be on top of things at all time its very very Dangerous.
Pros
The weekends are free
Cons
hot work and Dangerous

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Olympic Steel. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.1

1.8Personal Development

1.5Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight