Olympic Steel Employee Reviews

Good company to work for.
Fabrication Estimator (Current Employee) –  Bettendorf, IADecember 4, 2018
Good place to work. Plenty of hard workers willing to help others. Benefits are pretty good. Most of the management is respectful of the employees. Many chances for advancement.
Ok, but your just a number
CNC Programmer/Manufacturing Engineer (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, MNJanuary 19, 2019
The company does not value you as a person. They expect you to work a ton of hours and because of the Union you only get raises because its part of the contract.
Cons
1 hour unpaid lunch
Great Start for Ex- Felons
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Milford, CTDecember 25, 2018
Great opportunities for advancement. I encourage everyone looking for a job to apply. Great benefits and all the over-time you could want everyday!!!!
Eh
Engineering Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Bettendorf, IANovember 5, 2018
It's a good company to work for if you like to stay stuck in your career. Poor advancement opportunities, awful yearly raises and bonus. Lots of favoritism, especially in operations. But it's a good experience and some of the management is good.
Pros
Depending on your department, schedules are flexible, lots of opportunities to participate in fundraisers and volunteer work, employee recognition programs, friendly people
Cons
Work expected versus pay, annual raises are minimal, bonuses are very little unless you're in sales, upper management are all sales guys so they don't understand operations
Lots of promises from management that never come
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Gary, INJanuary 9, 2019
There is very obvious favoritism between shifts. Maintenance is a joke, poor pay, subpar benefits, and a lot of promises from management that are never kept. You can learn multiple new position from where you start out and not receive a single penny of extra pay. There is also little to no communication between the different departments so everyone is scrambling trying to figure out what is going on.
It was hard work in a hot environment
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Chambersburg, PADecember 20, 2018
I liked the people I worked with bit the job was hard. I had to wear long pants and long sleeve shirts. I also had to wear metal braces on my arms and legs. The boots were a special steel toe. The platform I stood on was even and when I first started I hurt my ankle really bad. The torch I had to use to cut scraps also worsened my eye sight .
Pros
Nice people good benefits
Cons
Stressful work. No tolerance for beimg umder production quotas even though the computer went down
Poor training. High turnover rate
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Bettendorf, IASeptember 11, 2018
Training on was not good. When I was working split shift wrong part loaded on truck and they blamed me since I had initialed paperwork. But many truckers had loaded parts on that truck. I was let go for this.

No job security!

Also multiple mistakes were made on my pay checks. Taking out 401k and overcharging for health care.
Stressful workplace
Overhead Crane Operator (Former Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILAugust 21, 2018
Its more of a race thing. Hispanics get away with everything. The manager chuck dont like to be challenged. That went u are being targeted. Management so bad.
Pros
Nice starting time and benefits.
Cons
Beyond poor management and poor pay.
Worst job ever
Overhead Crane Operator (Former Employee) –  Gary, INJune 30, 2018
Had a terrible foreman was treated unfairly. It was the worst job I have ever had management didn't care about there employee's and they only gave raises if you threatened to quit.
Pros
Cool crew
Cons
Bad management
Old school manufacturing
Auditor (Former Employee) –  Bedford Heights, OHAugust 15, 2018
I spent a long time there and I did mostly lateral moves. Manufacturing is a difficult environment and does not provide the flexibility that more progressive companies provide. There is no work from home, men must wear ties, and maximum vacation is 3 weeks.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Low pay, minimum vacation time, no flexibility
A cool job to work there.
General Utility / Assembly Stacker (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MI.October 10, 2018
A cool job to work there. my coworkers were great. A team effort. Supervisor and Management needs to listen more towards me and my fellow coworkers input.
Pros
Needs to upgrade their equipment, etc.....
Cons
Needs to hire more people in the near future., etc.....
unsafe, cliques
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Mount Sterling, KYJanuary 15, 2018
Second shift has a clique of young men in their 20's that stick together against others. They are allowed by management to harass, intimidate other employees. They drink on-site during work hours, skateboard in parking lot, throw metal at each other and horseplay all night. Not to mention the vulgar language other employees are made to here.
Pros
benefits, pay
Cons
cliques, unsafe
olympic steel isnt the best place for a job
Floor helper/crane operator (Current Employee) –  Bettendorf, IAJanuary 21, 2019
work every weekend and it isn't the best place to work and very un safe and they don't keep up on maintance on their cranes.they drop metal all the time.
Busy workplace
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIOctober 10, 2018
Olympic Steel was a great place to work. Everyone was very helpful and attentive although it was only a temporary position. There was a lot to learn and the work was challenging.
closed minded nepotism
Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHSeptember 5, 2018
A good place to make a fair wage. Culture is not consistent with stated core values. If you like to participate in meetings with no conclusive directions, this is your place.
what i learned change my life.
Laser Operator/ Inspector (Former Employee) –  Bedford, OHJuly 25, 2018
I really liked working at Olympic steel . i really learned a lot working their. and was given the chance to make some advancements while working for them.
Don’t do it
Grinder (Current Employee) –  Mount Sterling, KYSeptember 17, 2018
Place sucks they don’t care about you and never will. They hire family and promote them faster then you. They don’t care if you get hurt they expect you to work
Not a good experience
CNC Operator (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, MNJuly 17, 2018
Ok for training and learning. I don't really have much more to say other than that. Not a place to stick around if you want advancement opportunities outside of the plant.
Hard work
Picker/Packer/Expediter (Former Employee) –  Chambersburg, PAJuly 25, 2018
This was a team work group with a fast pace work ethics. The management was fair and never overworked you as a induvial. The job was dirty and sometimes hot but a good bunch to work for.
Decent employer
Forklift/machine and crane operator (Former Employee) –  Chambersburg, PAJune 2, 2018
It was a decent place to work. Very dirty and smokey in that that cut steel. It was a hars job and long hours. Not the harshest job ive had but tough.
Pros
Good employees
Cons
Dirty ans heavy lifting

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Olympic Steel. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.1InHerSight Score

1.8Personal Development

1.5Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight