Omaha Home for Boys

Omaha Home for Boys Employee Reviews

United States20 reviews
Very Stressful and a lack of communication. Loved my supervisor but they resigned their position. No unity. Almost ended our marriage due to the stress.
I started OHB with the hope of moving up in positions and pay. I've watched many employees leave after just a few weeks of working there. There is a lack of communication between staff and supervisors. To many managers/supervisors all having different ways of doing things and wanting it done their way. No direction! They start programs and hope for the best and instead of asking staff they just keep trying out ridiculous options suggested by people who do not work daily with youth. It is not organized at all which in the end hurts the youth because the turn around rate is so high. I truly believe this place could be amazing if they treated their essential employees better with pay, opportunities to move up, and more employee recognition.
OHB has several issues:
Leadership

Lack of Communication

Staff Mistrust

To many Vice Presidents and Manager, Lack of essential Staff

Lack of Staff Accountability

Complete lack of Organizational Direction
OHB has become an unstable organization that lacks a sense of direction and is very management top heavy. The communication and overall culture continue to go deteriorate on a daily basis.
Hot out and getting sun burn wasn’t really what I was planning on doing for most of my days working for ohb all summer so I wanted to get into something else that was gonna benefit me money wise and time wise
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
employees cared about their jobs and responsibilities. providing a team concept in achieving the goals by providing necessary resources to achieve completion of program
Having been the former President and CEO I'm obviously biased but I believe the Home is poised to make a big impact in the community. I hired my replacement who was the Chief Operating Officer. He has already made some very sound decisions in moving the organization forward. The culture is improving and the employee engagement has improved during my tenure.

Pay is at or above average in the social service sector and the benefits offered are above average.

Strongly recommend anyone to work there if you can qualify and they want to hire you.
Pros
Free lunches, recreation faciliites, flexibility, great benefits
Cons
The Omaha Home for boys showed me how be a Hard worker and It taught me to stay dedicated. I learned a lot from being in that environment. I salute the program I was in it gave me motivation to be something in life even though im not perfect I can look back and say the Omaha Home for boys does do work.
Pros
Excellent people
Cons
Working with the older adults is rewarding and fun. the atmospehre is great. Management is understanding and empatheic and communication is open and consistent.
Fun place to work. I was nice to see the kids grow into young men. The boys learned how to act like gentleman. Nice to see the boys become men before your eyes.
Learned what it means to work hard, consistently. I learned what it means to work on a team, and be accountable to meeting work goals on a daily basis.
Pros
work ethic
Cons
low pay
Lade back place to work, very rewarding working with the at risk youth. Management could be more personal with the employees, and more competive with the wages.
Pros
Free meals
Cons
Working six days on and three days off
If we were not re-locating to Florida, I would still be working there. The work OHB did with the kids was phenomenal. I could not have asked for a better place to work
Pros
Family friendly, great staff, overall awesome place to work.
Cons
I enjoyed working at OHB at first, but things have changed over the past couple of years. I now question whether or not we are fulfilling our mission.
Pros
I love the work that I do
Cons
Organizational Culture and some management
I enjoy working at the Omaha Home for Boys - I love working with my team mates. However, there is no potential for advancement within the company. Management seem to undervalue its employees, gives no incentives, recognition nor provides a means of rewarding their employees when a job is done well. The hardest part of my job is to go to work and not being spoken to by anyone in the upper management level. We are supposed to be a family team, but it does not happen. I love looking after the youth we serve and see the grow into better young men. My typical day is recording all necessary data into the client youth files, arranging and transporting to medical appointments, etc. I am looking for a change in jobs as I feel I have met a dead end at the company
Pros
A cafeteria, work out area, some flexible time
Cons
Negative management
On a typical day I check my voicemails, read all e-mails, and also meet and greet internal and external guest. I usually respond back to e-mails with request first. Next I would call back all te people who left a message. If I have any guest in the morning I would walk down to the building that were located at, then I would meet and greet them and ask them if there is anything that I can assist them with.

I have learned how to be more organized, more detail orentaited and how to use great customer service skills. The management here is great. If you ask them for help they will help guide you to where you need to get to.

My co-workers are awesome, if I needed help I know who I could ask.

The hardest part of my job is making sure people are not double booked for rooms. It is also hard to complete the job at a part-time postion. The postion should be full-time so that guest can reach me at the time of need.

The most enjoyable part of my job is meeting different guest. I love meeting different people from different organizations. Many of my guest in the past have invited me to their events. I love being involved in the community.
Pros
Free lunch Fridays; Jean Day Fridays; Spagehetti Flings, SoupER Bowl Party etc...
Cons
healthcare, pay
work with former gang members former wards of the state. there is not much to say about the company. please look at the website for needed information
Pros
new experience
Cons
some clients
Great benefits, friendly co-workers and supportive management. Could use improvement on communication and consistency across campus.
Pros
Free meals
Cons
Stressful job
They provide adequate housing, and provide amazing facilities for youth.
Pros
living expense included
Cons
not in a great part of town
Management does not have a clue what it takes to be a house parent. Assistants are supposed to be available at peak hours, i.e., when the boys are home, but short staffing prevents this from happening to some of the house parents (although other house parents were provided assistants on a regular basis).

Current teaching does not seem effective with boys that are brought on campus. "Non-compliance" is a license for the boys to be in charge and do whatever they want.

Food was good when we first started working, but gradually became an offering of almost all carbohydrates.
Pros
beautiful campus, nice living quarters, excellent benefits
Cons
long hours, not much support from management