Omaha Public Power District Employee Reviews

Great benefits, but slow to change
MANAGER-EMERGENCY PLANNING (Current Employee) –  Blair, NEJanuary 16, 2019
Good company with great benefits. Culture is slowly shifting as more employees retire and open opportunities for the next generation.

Just added 12 weeks parental leave for new parents
Benefits
Cons
Development Opportunities
Armed Nuclear Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Fort Calhoun, NEJanuary 9, 2019
I made good money. Had a lot of overtime so long weeks were a little harder. You work with a lot of people, great place to work. Good benefits. Great management.
Pros
Money
Cons
Overtime
Top tier employer in Omaha
Director (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEJanuary 7, 2019
Work worth doing! While the industry has been around for decades, OPPD is at the forefront of disrupting and optimizing the electrical utility. Management focused effort on transformation and building a high performance organization while maintaining an appropriate life/work balance is a breath of fresh air. Expectation to perform are high, but you never get the feeling that you are working under unrealistic pressure.
Pros
Industry, People, Culture, Pay, Benefits
Cons
Technology solutions can be an inhibitor at times
Productive power provider with good teamwork
Auxiliary Operator (Former Employee) –  Nebraska City, NEDecember 6, 2018
OPPD was a good compant to work for in my 3 years there. Plant located in a small city where we raised our 5 children thru high school graduation. Employees at plant were accomodating in ensuring that I was trained quickly and efficiently.
Pros
Family atmosphere
Cons
Advance was by senoirity
Oppd
General laborer (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEDecember 4, 2018
Pay well for work general laborer position and cleaning of the coal bins plus assistance to the broiler makers heavy lifting and misselaneous work assked to do
Tough on a family
Assistant Unit Operator (Former Employee) –  Nebraska City, NENovember 9, 2018
The required work schedule is unhealthy for body and mind but because the pay is so high the management knows someone will work rhem.
Flawed Maintance program that is supposed to be "lean" and is only expediting equipment failure and risky operation of the generating units.
Pros
High pay
Cons
Work life balance is impossible
Another Great Place to Work
Machinist/Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NENovember 5, 2018
Again, I made this job interview prep while volunteering at the VA

Interview Team:
For most jobs you will be interviewed by the supervisor for that position. Large companies you will likely have the supervisor and an HR representative present.

If you are interviewing for a supervisor position you will likely interview with the manager for that division and an HR representative.

If you are interviewing for a management position you will likely interview with the director or Vice President for that division along with an HR representative.

• Questions you are likely to be asked
This depends a lot on the level of the job you are interviewing for and if there is an HR representative present. You will typically be notified on who will be involved in your interview when you get the call to schedule it.

Prepare for a mixture of technical questions about the position you are interviewing for and HR type questions. One thing to consider is that for the higher positions (supervisor/manager) the questions will typically be less technical and more “What would you do in this situation” type questions.

What would you do to resolve conflict between two employees, how would you address tardiness, how would you handle habitual violations by one of your subordinates, are some examples.
The following are common HR questions that are used in just about any interview, regardless of the position, and top answers for each.

1. What did you like about your last job, what did you not like?

Here is where you want to say that you enjoyed working with others (your old
  more... coworkers), But the job didn’t challenge you enough, or you felt you could offer more to the company if given more responsibilities.

DO NOT degrade your former boss, coworkers, or the job itself.

2. Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

DO NOT say that you want the job of the person who is interviewing you. It’s ok to be somewhat vague here. Answers like this work very well:

By then I will have gained a very thorough understanding of my position and the company overall and hope to have been promoted accordingly in line with my performance.

3. What is your best quality and what is your worst quality?

You know your own best qualities, I would advise you to pick one that deals with job performance. Good examples are, multitasker, photographic memory, great communication skills, an energetic self-starter, highly motivated, loyal, etc.

The worst quality part is a tricky one. The idea here is to somehow turn it into something positive. My go to answer for this one has always impressed the HR rep. “I have high anxiety which can cause me stress, but it also causes me to relentlessly prepare and plan for situations and always meet deadlines on time.”

4. Describe how you work with others?

Regardless of your feelings about coworkers you want to explain that you have no issues when it comes to working with others.

Good answers here are:
I am friendly, I have no trouble getting along with others, I appreciate feedback (positive and negative), I like to learn my coworkers’ strengths to utilize their support, I have no problem helping others, I am team oriented, etc.

5. How would you handle a conflict between you and another coworker, or conflict between two other coworkers?

Start by addressing the fact that you recognize conflict between coworkers is bad for morale and production. Then go one with something like:

I would try to find common ground with my coworker(s) and solve the problem in an assertive manner.

It’s not a bad idea to add that you understand sometimes people are just having a bad day and you don’t want to make issues worse by confronting them.
Pros
Pay was great and benefits also
Cons
Heat, power plants get very hot
A forward looking company
Service Desk Analyst (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEOctober 5, 2018
As OPPD addresses the ever changing needs of the electrical power industry, OPPD relies on innovation and it's people with their wealth of knowledge and expertise to move OPPD into a brighter future.

OPPD's Mission: Provide affordable, reliable and environmentally sensitive energy service to our customers

OPPD's Vision: Leading the way we power the future

OPPD's Core Values: We have a PASSION to serve – We HONOR our community – We CARE about each other.
Pros
A dedicated safety culture "Safety 101" and "We're better when we work safer"
Cons
Constant changing environment
Change management culture
Interim Product Owner (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NESeptember 28, 2018
It's changed since I first started. It used to be very family oriented and I was excited to go to work to be with my co-workers. Towards the end however it was more somewhere I had to go in order to pay my bills. I did enjoy the benefits but they weren't up to the modern times e.g. no work from home, no paternity leave, etc. With all the changes going on it may be a good place for someone looking to make a start.
Supervisor - Energy Marketing Analysis (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NESeptember 22, 2018
OPPD takes pride in being the largest electric power utility in the state of Nebraska. OPPD generation is a mixture of nuclear, coal, and gas generation facilities.
need strong communication skills
OPERATIONS CLERK I/T&D (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEAugust 29, 2018
by working in various departments, learned a lot about electricity and the how it is produced. better understanding of the product they were selling
excellent personnel and made many long lasting friendships
Pros
excellent benefits
Cons
short lunch hours
New management is eliminating most existing management under the title of Accountability Management System (AMS)
Document Services Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEAugust 8, 2018
In my business unit, there are only a few prior management or supervisors remaining. New management came in a cleared house.

This is a very common feeling of people who performed their role for over 20 years are no longer qualified.
Nuclear Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Blair, NEJuly 29, 2018
A productive place to work. The pay was excellent. The work hours were good. Overtime was unfair. The culture wreaked of racial tension and gender bias.
Good place to work, but there is a ceiling
Lead Systems Specialist (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEJune 1, 2018
I have always been very happy working here, they have always taken good care of us, but I have reached my ceiling with them as they now promote from outside of the company. There are innumerable benefits to working here, but pay, benefits, and advancement are no longer the opportunities they used to be here.
Changing culture
Finance Division-Supervisor/Lead Receipts (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEMay 25, 2018
The company is changing the culture and seems to prefer new employees over employees that have been there for years in order to help speed the culture change
All Talk, No Show
CLERK (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEMay 24, 2018
OPPD pretends to care for their employees, for the environment, for their customers, but it's entirely talk. Unless you're one of Management's favorites, don't expect to build a career here.

I can not recommend working for OPPD. Yes, the pay and benefits are great, but there's more that goes into making a workplace a best place to work. Example: OPPD is closing Fort Calhoun Station. Rather than just letting them finish their time with dignity, OPPD forces them to have potlucks and charity drives so they can score higher on their Best Places To Work survey, all while refusing to provide the tools necessary to do their jobs, such as updated computers or even regularly-stocked vending machines.

The President of the company takes great pride in his periodic Town Hall meetings, where he reads his PowerPoint presentation, answers questions, but never makes time to seek input from work groups, nor does he encourage other managers to do it.

I believe that, if OPPD continues being managed as it is, it will eventually terminate many employees in the areas of production, which is another reason that I would not recommend it as a place to work for others.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Detached leadership with a tendency to play favorites, uncertain future for the company
Started off well, then quickly went downhill
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Fort Calhoun, NEJanuary 22, 2018
When I first started at OPPD, I was engaged and excited for the opportunity. However once decommissioning began, a rift opened between employees and upper management that hindered morale and opportunity.
Poor leadership
Nuclear Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Fort Calhoun, NEJanuary 17, 2018
It is the good old boy system of leadership. It is not the best qualified for position of advancement. They look for every excuse to put you down if you don't agree with them, or you have better ways of conducting business.
Cons
Leadership
Great Company to work for.
Central Station Alarm Operator (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJanuary 9, 2018
If you can become a full-time employee here. Then you should never leave. Trust me, this is one of the best companies to work for in the U.S. If I can, i will try to get a full-time job there in the future.
Pros
Great company culture and diversity with raises every year.
Cons
No benefits if you are a part-timer.
Productive employment until plant colsed.
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fort Calhoun, NEJanuary 4, 2018
A typical day at work for me started off by, Scheduling and prioritizing daily work orders. Then assigning them to crew team members for completion. I learned how to communicate all issues with my staff. Management was scarce. Workplace culture used to be great, until the plant announced its closing and the culture dropped. Hardest part of the job was hearing that it was closing. Most enjoyable was meeting new friends and starting good working relationships.
Pros
Company had great benefits
Cons
Company closed and alot of workers lost there jobs.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Omaha Public Power District. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.4Personal Development

4.0Career Opportunities

2.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight