On the Border Mexican Grill and Cantina Employee Reviews

Average
Bartender (Current Employee) –  Lubbock, TXFebruary 7, 2019
It was an average job, as average as I expected. However the majority of the people I meet there were far from average. Outside of 2 managers it was indeed an exceptional place to work with great regulars.
It was ok
Server/Bartender (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLFebruary 5, 2019
I gave good service to people so I ended up with regulars that made the job good for me because my money was coming in handy but the workers are cool it’s a great environment
Cons
good
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Kissimmee, FLJanuary 30, 2019
good job to work at management kinda sucks with thw scheduling and you will sometimes if not al the time be by yourself on fry station or combo other than that pay is pretty good.
Comfortable Working Environment
Server/Hostess/Togo/Trainer (Former Employee) –  Wichita Falls, TXJanuary 28, 2019
I enjoyed working at On The Border very much and appreciate everything the wonderful staff and management did for me and my family. Very easy to get comfortable and make a career for yourself.
Pros
Great Staff/Managers/Guests
Cons
Too much time away from family
Management is very unprofessional
Dishwasher/Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  South Portland, MEJanuary 21, 2019
The management does not seem to care about it's employees. I showed up for a shift to find out I was fired for a no-call no-show on a day I wasn't scheduled. They made no effort to contact me in any way, and the GM refused to speak to me. The position is not bad, but the management team is unprofessional and you may lose your job for no reason.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Unprofessional management, poor job security, no benefits
N/a
Certified Trainer (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXJanuary 18, 2019
This was a fun job and a great place to work. Great, knowledgeable management staff. Always friendly and accommodating to my schedule. I loved OTB!
Fun workplace with great staff
Server, Bartender (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 17, 2019
I've learned a lot about quality customer service and working as a team. I grew as a person and gained not only experience but a family, and I wouldn't change that for the world. We offer quality food but what puts us over the edge is our great customer service.
I had a good experience.
Server/Bartender (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 14, 2019
I have personal reasons for having to leave OTB. They are a fantastic company to work for. I, personally must be closer to my home, hence transportation issues and only be8ng able to work specific hours.
Fun and fast work environment
Server/Bartender (Former Employee) –  Concord, NCJanuary 13, 2019
Opening the restaurant you would do some food prep and begin the morning process of getting ready to open. You are responsible for refilling ice in the drink machines, rolling silverware, making sure your server areas are stocked with all necessities.Closing the restaurant you would make sure all closed sections had completed there closing work, by checking after the other servers, you would sweep your section among many other things. Managers were very easy to get along with and were always very helpful.
fast pace work place
Hostess and Busser (Former Employee) –  Elkridge, MDJanuary 12, 2019
Very little hours offered. When you apply for a position sometimes you will not work as the position you applied for. most times it is a laid back environment except for weekends and when certain specials are offered.
Average Restaurant
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Mercer County, NJJanuary 3, 2019
OTB it like any other restaurant, they want to turn over tables as fast as they can and want the service to be number one. The management works hard to keep everything running smoothly and does the best they can to accommodate to everyone.
Pros
free food occasionally
Cons
fast paste
Fun nut buusy
Training Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Kendall, FLDecember 26, 2018
Responsibilities: Update training rosters on a weekly basis; File team member acknowledgement forms and day one checklists in a timely manner; Audit completion of mandatory checklists and forms per department on a monthly basis; Assist with training setup and drive attendance as needed; Create monthly publishing of training flyers/team member calendars; Oversee training room inventory as well as requests to use room in calendar invites to Human Resources team; Follow up with departments to confirm training room requests; Upkeep of Human Resources training room following department events; Completing assignments and projects in a timely manner; Maintain open communication within the department in regard to departmental matters; Any other reasonable duties as required by management.
Fast paced but slow at times.
Server/Waiter (Current Employee) –  Mesquite, TXDecember 24, 2018
Working at On The Border is a fun experience but can be stressful at times. Management is overall good. Though training new servers has been a struggle because most lack the knowledge to properly prepare them for the environment. During this time of the year it has gotten very slow at times. Especially during the week.
Pros
Discounted meals.
Cons
Shortages in equipment
Chill Work environment, poor compensation
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 19, 2018
I worked at On the Border as a summer job in Atlanta, GA. The one in Buckhead. The pay was minimum wage $7.25 and I have never been paid that low. Especially working in upscale area of Atlanta. However the experience and culture of the company was really nice. Employees were nice. Management was exceptional. I really enjoyed my experience there. Wish I could have stayed longer but it was just a temporary job. I would definitely recommend this job to anyone looking for a job. Not for paying bills or working full time though.
If you don't fit in they will get rid of you (Greenville, SC)
Server (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCDecember 13, 2018
Alot of co-workers that didn't pull their weight mgmt doesn't seem to care about the place anymore . Unless her boyfriends there than all betd are off he's even more important than customers. Don't discuss your concerns or you could be terminated. They take care of each other (meaning those that have been there with mgmt awile.) Most new workers quit after a few weeks or don't even make it past training. If you need somewhere quick to get money and on your feet than this is the place. Long term. I wouldn't even think about it. Customers are great and most tip great based on great service.
Pros
Free meal per shift or 50% off & great customers
Cons
Expect alot of slackers & will work hard for them and it will go unappreciated
Had a lot of fun workers
Server (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSDecember 8, 2018
There were a lot of lazy workers there . I always was the hardest worker to make sure I always did my job the right way. There was a manager that was there which was a big reason I left.
Pros
Can make a lot of money
Cons
Can also not make a lot of money
It’s a great place to work
Server (Former Employee) –  Mesquite, TXDecember 2, 2018
There are great people to work with. The managers are really great people but they don’t know how to run a restaurant in my opinion very unorganized and not much source of communication
Any serving job is what you make it
Lead Bartender (Former Employee) –  Peoria, AZNovember 27, 2018
Made a lot of money as a server and bartender, worked hard, learned where I could, and moved up accordingly. Job is what you make it management was garbage where I worked.
Great pay but
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas-Fort Worth, TXNovember 23, 2018
The restaurant business is difficult. Some days are worse than others. This job does have some fulfillment, but not my thing. I hope this helps someone.
amazing company horrible location
host (Former Employee) –  Jonesboro, ARNovember 13, 2018
Overall on the border is a good company. you just have to find the right location in order for things to run correctly. There is little room for advancement and way too much drama in the work place. Hours are unstable.
Pros
half off on food if you worked that day
Cons
no advancement and very unorganized

Ask a question about working or interviewing at On the Border Mexican Grill and Cantina. Our community is ready to answer.