On the Border Mexican Grill and Cantina Employee Reviews

It's alright but not worth the trouble
Hostess/To-Go Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cordova, TNAugust 6, 2018
Working at OTB was fun in the beginning, but the work piled up fast. Employees weren't all that bad, but most definitely! Do NOT make friends with the managers! It's just more cons than pros to working here honestly..
Pros
Discounts on food
Cons
Inconsistent hours weekly, overworked randomly, have to carry all the weight of co-workers
Love
Server (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKAugust 1, 2018
This company by far is the most cohesive work environment I’ve been exposed to. Everyone is willing to help one another and emotions/feelings are not an issue, the customer’s experience is the top priority, so everyone works together to ensure that they keep coming back
Typical serving job
Server (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZJuly 30, 2018
Pretty similar to most serving jobs. Easy job if you like people. The coworkers were nice. I would go back and work there if I needed to. Management wasn't the best I have had.
Stressful
Bartender and Server (Current Employee) –  Aurora, COJuly 29, 2018
New management. High turn over. Flexible schedule. Usually busy so you can make great money. Clean. Friendly atmosphere. Great happy hour and drink specials.
Fun place to work
Server Assistant (Former Employee) –  Alpharetta, GAJuly 27, 2018
The atmosphere and work environment is inviting and based around providing an exciting experience for the customer. The management is top notch and the rest of the team is always helpful and happy to be there.
Pros
Occasional free dinners and fun workplace
Cons
Sometimes stressful due to large influx of customers
The line
Server/Waiter (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXJuly 26, 2018
It was fun i respect alot of the people i did work with and made some friend. management was very good to me they even told me i could used them as references
Pros
Free lunches sometimes
Cons
Hour and a half breaks
Typical corporate environment
Server (Current Employee) –  Kentwood, MI 49512July 26, 2018
You can make decent money there if you're willing to put up with a lot of garbage. They don't usually give you more than you can handle but a lot of times they do. The GM is very strict and condescending but the other managers are fairly cool. Customers there usually stink and are cheap.
Pros
Decent money
Cons
Cheap customer base, corporate environment
This is a good summer job
Hostess/Busser (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJuly 23, 2018
When I first started working here I liked the fast paced environment and the friendly staff. However after four months, I'm still receiving the same pay, and haven't really advanced at all. I am a hostess, and I get paid eight dollars an hour. My duties include seating guests, folding kids menus, and cleaning kids menus. However, the staff expects the host to help bus, and reset/ chip tables. The real problem with this is that the management is worried about labor percentages and they do not want to increase pay, and they cut your hours so they wont get into trouble. I am a very hard worker and I will do almost anything to ensure exceptional service is provided to customers, but when I am underpaid, and underappreciated it makes me dislike my job. I love the atmosphere, hard word, fast paced environment, and friendly staff. Maybe if the company was a little bit more interested in it's employees happiness this would be a better place to work.
Pros
Discount on some food
Cons
Not paid enough, Hours get cut, Not a reliable source of income
A good job for students. Great opportunities to move up in the company.
Hostess/Server (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJuly 16, 2018
This was my first job as a hostess and it taught me how to properly operate the front of house in a restaurant. I was also able to work as a food runner/server from time to time when we were busy and needed more hands on deck. I loved how everyone was treated like family, everyone got along with each other.
Pros
Food!
Cons
Long hours standing on your feet.
Fun people to work with
Server/Cashier/Hostess (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJuly 15, 2018
I helped open this store I guess it was still to new and didn’t have enough business but I was making $40 if I was lucky and that just wasn’t paying my bills sorry
Pros
Great team
Cons
Sucky communication

Want to know more about On the Border Mexican Grill and Cantina?

Ask a question
poor management
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Topeka, KSJuly 14, 2018
i have felt many times that i am not favored, or at least equal to, my coworkers. 3 out of the 4 managers at the topeka location, have continuously and cosistently displayed patterns of favoritism towards their employees. it is very unprofessional and makes for an extremely tense and hostile work environment.
Pros
50% off meals, if you worked that day
Cons
breaks only for smokers, favoritism, slow business
Wouldn't recommend it
Hostess (Former Employee) –  TexasJuly 11, 2018
Worked there for 1 training shift and I don't plan on going back. The restaurant was dirty and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Employees were nice to me but I could see that there was a lot of drama. There were just too many red flags for me to continue working there
Pros
Free training meal
Love working here, great management and co workers
Server (Current Employee) –  Jonesboro, ARJuly 11, 2018
Love working here, great management and co workers. Easy money and easy job. Nice work environment. Flexible hours. Nice customers. Fast cash. Good for a second job.
It was okay
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJuly 10, 2018
Part of it was the fact that there is construction everywhere which meant no business. However staff is nice but management at time was not the best it could have been.
Pros
discount food
Cons
discounted food after 6 months
Fun workplace & great crew to work with.
Hostess/Server (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJuly 7, 2018
Meeting new people daily was a plus & being a part of a great crew to work with made day to day fun. Management worked with us on our schedules & cared for his team.
Pros
Discounts for food
Cons
Short breaks due to traffic
It was ok to work there
Cook (Former Employee) –  Athens, GAJuly 6, 2018
St was fine to work there but they wanted me to do almost everything by my self and almost never got help when I need it. It was ok other wise management was ok.
Worse company I’ve worked for
Hostess/ service assistant (Current Employee) –  Weatherford, TXJuly 5, 2018
My time at on the border has been the worse. I worked at one location and had to transfer because of my living situation and now at the location I work for sucks Horribly. The managers suck and the pay sucks. They don’t always go with your availablity and the General manager is so mean and is never willing to help.
Great Company
Restaurant Manager (Current Employee) –  Lewisville, TXJune 26, 2018
This truly is a great restaurant company that I've never hated working for in the 6 years I've been here. I am a restaurant manager ans ensure day to day operations of the restaurant.
Employees have taken over!
Server (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJune 24, 2018
The location I worked at was ran by servers the management didn’t have much respect or authority from the crew that had been there several years. I felt like the company as a whole would be great.
Pros
Great tips
Cons
No breaks, cut throat coworkers
Great job to have
Host, busser, to-go (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJune 20, 2018
Job had great customer service and great employee service. Management staff were able to work with peoples schedules. Job provided a lot of opportunities in the business . Had good hours for all employees. Everyone worked as a team.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at On the Border Mexican Grill and Cantina. Our community is ready to answer.