On the Border Mexican Grill and Cantina Employee Reviews in Wichita, KS

It was a fun experience.
Server (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJune 8, 2019
I had a good time bonding with the employees and customers and talking to them and making them feel at home I enjoyed being there for the time I was there
Pros
Fast money, and experience.
Cons
Sometimes you don't get tips or as much as you joped
fun
Server (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSMarch 2, 2019
Great place to work. Great co-workers. Great benefits. Great insurance. Great location. Safe. Lovely office. Short commute. Great facilities. Great.
Had a lot of fun workers
Server (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSDecember 8, 2018
There were a lot of lazy workers there . I always was the hardest worker to make sure I always did my job the right way. There was a manager that was there which was a big reason I left.
Pros
Can make a lot of money
Cons
Can also not make a lot of money
Great job to have
Host, busser, to-go (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJune 20, 2018
Job had great customer service and great employee service. Management staff were able to work with peoples schedules. Job provided a lot of opportunities in the business . Had good hours for all employees. Everyone worked as a team.
Flexible Schedule
Server (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSDecember 27, 2017
I had certain hours I needed to work and if I needed additional hours I could work for someone else. They were often shorthanded and nobody really wanted to work anyway so it was easy to get extra hours if you wanted them. It was just difficult to get wages typical of serving at a chain restaurant.
Pros
Food discount
Cons
Ratio of wages to work was too small.
Very fast paced place to work at.
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSSeptember 10, 2017
The management could be better than it is. To be a server you must be 18 years of age or older considering there are alcoholic beverages. There were underage servers and managers would act unprofessionally at times. One male manager would say inappropriate things to underage female employees. The managers would pick and choose favorites and give employee shifts away without consulting the employee.
Pros
Discounts, learn to interact with different kinds of people, always on feet
Cons
Low pay, bad hours, bad management
productive and fun work place
Server (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJune 9, 2017
loved it there..good atmosphere,good food,good drinks and fun crew.good managment ,good hands on learning and good training ..good location and good times
Pros
met good people, and good tips
Cons
not a free meal for break
Management is awful
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSApril 6, 2017
The management here is not only awful, but extremely disrespectful to guests. One of the managers made fun of people's weight and looks, absolutely disgusting. The servers and hosts are rude to each other and one of the servers tries to get with all the underage hosts. Pay was okay for a high schooler.
Pros
Discount on food
Cons
Management, no breaks
Super fun work experience, great guests, awesome employees!
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSAugust 3, 2016
Work stayed pretty busy, i enjoy multi-tasking and having something to do. The management was pretty cool, they all work together to make On the Border a great experience.
OTB has become my family!
Server (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJune 26, 2016
I've loved every minute of the three years I worked at On the Border. My coworkers and managers became like my family. We had each others backs, we worked well together, and we always tried our very best to make sure that each and every guest coming in left happy!

A typical day of work for me as a server would be to come in, catch up with all of my other coworkers, and get ready for the day! We always had good morale and my friends were eager to help out. I LOVED my managers and I miss them dearly! They were always so helpful and kind, but were stern when needed to be. They always made sure that everything got done but that you had an enjoyable time doing it. I never had an issue with any of my managers.

For the most part I really loved my co workers, too. Occasionally we would have someone start who was really rude, didn't work hard, or overall awful but those guys never really stayed for long. For the most part all of my coworkers worked very hard, tried their best, and we always got along well.

I think the hardest part of my job is not letting my emotions affect my ability to work. Sometimes I'd have a truly awful table who, no matter how hard I tried, just wasn't happy. It always hurt because I truly try with each and every table to make sure they have a great experience but sometimes people are just mean. I'm a pretty sensitive person so having to deal with that sometimes was hard. Thankfully, it wasn't often.

The most enjoyable part of my job was my coworkers and managers! I made lifelong friends there and who I worked with really made me happy to work there
  more... for as long as I did. I actually met my current and long term boyfriend while working at OTB, and some of my best friends too!  less
Pros
50% off of food before/after shifts, great managers and overall great coworkers, awesome food, fun atmosphere
Cons
Sometimes you get rude guests, few coworkers are pretty bad but can be ignored
Flexible scheduling, fast pace, and caring management
Server/bartender (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJune 6, 2016
I worked for On the border for about 7 years and I loved it. The co-workers were awesome, cooks were friendly, and management actually cared about you and your tenure with the company. The worst parts about On the Border was the abundant amount of side work while only being paid $2.13 hourly. Over my time with On the border I made a lot of friends both co-workers and guest alike. I was able to sharpen my service skills and customer relations.
Pros
Flexible schedule, fast pace, fun work enviroment
Cons
Not enough pay for the amount of side work you have to do as a server.
a good company to work for
Server / Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSApril 23, 2016
Management is compassionate about helping their employees make the best money they can. A laid back environment that keeps employees around for a good long while.
Decent place to work for
Shift Manager, Catering Director, Trainer (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSMarch 17, 2015
On the Border is a decent company to work for. For management they work long hours, and are expected to put in very many hours a week with a very weak and unattainable bonus program. For the service staff, the company expects a lot out of the servers. The servers are required to bus their tables, do a lot of sidework, and still maintin their tables. The company also does not allow the servers to add gratuity to tables.
Pros
Fun, fast paced place to work
Cons
lots of side work, tiring shifts, no gratuity
Great management and good company to work for
Shift Manager, Catering Director, Trainer (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSMarch 8, 2015
On The Border is a good company to work for, yet they require the managers to work many hours. They also do not give bonuses to their managers.
Was a good work environment
Server (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSApril 10, 2013
I worked there for many years, meet many different types of people. It was fast paced, fun and a great learning experience. I learned how to manage money, manage fellow employees, help customers, lots of teamwork, opening and closing the store, and much more.