On the Border Mexican Grill and Cantina

On the Border Mexican Grill and Cantina Employee Reviews for Bartender

fun environment
a wonderful work environment but management is terrible and don't care about their employees but expect you to slave for them even thought they don't treat you right
Typical chain restaurant gig
If you've worked in one chain restaurant, you've worked in them all. Toss are limited by clientele and section assignments. But it's a good job to get your feet wet in the industry.
Poor leadership, Poor Management
Great Kitchen/BOH but poor team work in FOH, no leadership no focus on customer service Management has no clue how to solve or resolve problems. If you get busy good luck because managers will watch you crash and burn. Kitchen guys are the stars.
Official response from On the Border Mexican Grill and Cantina
July 9, 2019
We are sorry to hear you didn't enjoy working at this location. We appreciate your feedback. It will help us get better. We have shared your comments with the Area Manager and OPS leadership team.
Fun place to work
Good tips when business was steady. Business slowed due to new management. A great way to get your foot in the door if you are looking to work in the Restaurant industry
Great first time job!
On the border is a great work environment to work in, especially if it's your first job. You learn to be bold and confident, as well as being respectful and have table manners with customers. I've learned while working there, you get to meet many new faces and personalities which expand your social life. the hardest part of the job is when the lunch/dinner rush kicks in and you have a big section but you learn to get better with overcoming those obstacles. the greatest part is when you receive compliments for your hard work and dedication. highly recommend for 1st time workers.
Love this place
Love serving people. It's not steady pay cause you work for tips, but if you put in the time and effort towards your tables you can get out what you put in. Management is awesome and always has been. It's a fun environment. I kept this job on top of my full time job just for extra cash and if I wanted to get my mind off my other job for a little. I would recommend this job to anyone, high schoolers and college kids especially. The managers work with any schedule.
Pros
discounts on food
Cons
no insurance or benefits if you're a server
Official response from On the Border Mexican Grill and Cantina
May 28, 2019
We are so happy to hear you love working at OTB and you like your managers! Thank you for staying with us and helping us take care of our guests!
Very busy happy hour. Friendly co workers...
On the border was a fun place to work was very busy and upbeat. Had fun with the regulars that came in to see us everyday. It very high tempo at times and gets really busy just needed more manager involvement with the the front of house..
great
tacos are great burritos are great salsa is great cheese dip is great i love mexican food and i love on the border and chimichangas too everything about it actually
Typical serving job, busy store
Fast paced work environment with a great group of coworkers helping each other succeed from the hostesses to management. Team work makes the dream work
Pros
Cash
Cons
Working nights and weekends
Fast pace workplace with interactive staff
Great atmosphere and management. Opportunities to move from hostess to server to bartender. Training available as well as quarterly reports on employees. Awesome culture that loves to celebrate celebratory holidays.
Fast-paced and Friendly
I have worked there for almost three years at this point. The staff and managers are friendly, the money is good on most days, tipping all depends on how busy it is and how your service is.
Average
It was an average job, as average as I expected. However the majority of the people I meet there were far from average. Outside of 2 managers it was indeed an exceptional place to work with great regulars.
It was ok
I gave good service to people so I ended up with regulars that made the job good for me because my money was coming in handy but the workers are cool it’s a great environment
Cons
Fun workplace with great staff
I've learned a lot about quality customer service and working as a team. I grew as a person and gained not only experience but a family, and I wouldn't change that for the world. We offer quality food but what puts us over the edge is our great customer service.
I had a good experience.
I have personal reasons for having to leave OTB. They are a fantastic company to work for. I, personally must be closer to my home, hence transportation issues and only be8ng able to work specific hours.
Fun and fast work environment
Opening the restaurant you would do some food prep and begin the morning process of getting ready to open. You are responsible for refilling ice in the drink machines, rolling silverware, making sure your server areas are stocked with all necessities.Closing the restaurant you would make sure all closed sections had completed there closing work, by checking after the other servers, you would sweep your section among many other things. Managers were very easy to get along with and were always very helpful.
horrible
my work day consisted of picking up everyone elses slack, management didnt care what happened behind the scenes. One made it clear she was only there for a paycheck.
Any serving job is what you make it
Made a lot of money as a server and bartender, worked hard, learned where I could, and moved up accordingly. Job is what you make it management was garbage where I worked.
Horrible management
Management was awful and the way the bar and dinning area where run completely differently from each other and caused drama and tension by management.
good job for young people
show up to work on time clock in check what are your tables are when you get your gust greet them take the drink order get the drinks then get the food order put food order in the food system wait for the food as you wait you clean or do any other jobs that mite need to be done deliver the food check in then retire there plate ask for and desserts if nit then bring the check
great place to work
on the border is a great place to work. it has a great environment, great management, and great staff. The deals are awesome with happy hour running from 3PM - 7PM Monday through Friday and a late night happy hour from 9PM to 11PM Sunday through Thursday.