On the Border Mexican Grill and Cantina Employee Reviews for Host/Server

Do not work here
Sever/Hostess (Former Employee) –  Loveland, COMarch 10, 2019
I have worked in many restaurants including exclusive forbes rated 5 star restaurants and i can say without a doubt this place is awful i applied for server they put me as a host with no regard to my vast prior experience...immediately the staff was rude and felt upstaged by my work ethic because i was working harder while they messed around the other hostesses dont help and talk about inappropriate things at the stand infront of customers while the servers are in the back sneaking drinks or giving out free food they think they know better then you and boss you around and are extremely disrespectful.. everyone plays boss except the managers youll be there for 1 hour and somebody whos not the manager tells you your cut one day i drove 45mins in the snow to get here and the other host said " oh i posted on the group chat that I cut you" (i was never added to group chat) no notification from the manager... I asked him about it and he could have cared less. The managers are unhelpful and disorganized they deligate everything and give people authorities that have no business doing so one manager often sits in the office and vapes or will come up to you and tell you about his wild night or how high he is... he even sleeps with a number of servers in order for him to schedule them more. The kitchen is disgusting too multiple health code vilations my family came in to eat one night and was horribly sick after eating here.

DO NOT WORK HERE THIS PLACE IS CORRUPT AND YOU WILL GET NO WHERE OR GAIN ANYTHING FROM IT

DO NOT EAT HERE YOU WILL GET SICK
Pros
Cons
Everything above
Fun Work Place
Server and Hostess (Former Employee) –  Duluth, GAFebruary 24, 2019
Awesome place to work staff is very friendly customers are the best I love the food that cooking is terrific awesome management team....................
Comfortable Working Environment
Server/Hostess/Togo/Trainer (Former Employee) –  Wichita Falls, TXJanuary 28, 2019
I enjoyed working at On The Border very much and appreciate everything the wonderful staff and management did for me and my family. Very easy to get comfortable and make a career for yourself.
Pros
Great Staff/Managers/Guests
Cons
Too much time away from family
fun workplace
Hostess/Waitress/Cashier/Trainer (Former Employee) –  Mansfield, TXOctober 25, 2018
fun place to work, you become part of a family. very flexible with schedule, lots of physical labor as well. some days were slower than others, but on good days it was worth it.
Good money, passive aggressive management
Trainer, Server, Hostess (Former Employee) –  Kentwood, MISeptember 2, 2018
Management across the board in the food service industry seem to have issues with the world, and this includes On the Border. If you can get past management you will find that the corporate company culture is something that is absolutely amazing, but follow through with the uncaring generation Z employees is non existent.

Overall the opportunity to make money here is better than a lot of other restaurants in the area.
Pros
Discounted food, good money
Cons
Short or non existent breaks, cranky management
So so
Server/Hostess (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXAugust 30, 2018
Fun co workers. I just didn’t make enough money to suppprt myself
On the border isn’t as busy as other restaurants
The manager is very awesome, he’s strict by fair. The manament seem to really care about you.
Pros
Co workers, scheduling
Cons
Tips aren’t great
A good job for students. Great opportunities to move up in the company.
Hostess/Server (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJuly 16, 2018
This was my first job as a hostess and it taught me how to properly operate the front of house in a restaurant. I was also able to work as a food runner/server from time to time when we were busy and needed more hands on deck. I loved how everyone was treated like family, everyone got along with each other.
Pros
Food!
Cons
Long hours standing on your feet.
Fun workplace & great crew to work with.
Hostess/Server (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJuly 7, 2018
Meeting new people daily was a plus & being a part of a great crew to work with made day to day fun. Management worked with us on our schedules & cared for his team.
Pros
Discounts for food
Cons
Short breaks due to traffic
Easy going but hard time with scheduling
Lead "To-Go" Server and Hostess (Current Employee) –  Midwest City, OKMay 20, 2018
On The Border is an easy-going place to work and the employees are very nice too. However, asking for time off was always a hassle. I learned a lot about the restaurant industry and bettered my people skills.
Good resturant for starting server
Hostess, Togo person, Server (Former Employee) –  Highlands Ranch, COMay 16, 2018
This place is a good restaurant to work at for your first job, serving or hosting... hosts had to do togo orders as well and were not paid enough for how much work they are.
Fun place to work with laid back environment
Hostess and Server positions (Former Employee) –  Cary, NCApril 2, 2018
Loved this job. It was my first job and I stayed for about two and a half years. Probably would have continued working there if I didn't move away for college. Managers are awesome and still some of my good friends.
Pros
Free food most of the time, laid back
Cons
Customers suck
Alright workplace
Hostess/Server (Former Employee) –  Wyomissing, PAMarch 29, 2018
Alright place, honestly did not like working there. I felt the managers were rude. Don't have a flexible schedule. Food isn't all that great. Servers kind of lacked giving tips tp server assistants.
Pros
not sure
Cons
the people
Fast Paced Workplace
Host/Server (Current Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAMarch 15, 2018
Great place to work at with some great people. The work environment is good since workers are always looking for ways to help each other to make things go smoother.
Pros
Discounts on food.Good hours
Cons
Sometimes stressful like at any other serving job.
Enjoy working in here providing customer service
HOSTESS/SERVER'S ASSISTANCE/SERVER (Current Employee) –  Weatherford, TXFebruary 27, 2018
This past year, I have learned so much about customer service. I had a great mentor and thankful to be working with this team. Its a wonderful second job.
It was a very fast-paced environment
Hostess/Waitress (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 6, 2018
I would greet guests and serve them with efficient but tasty food. I would handle various typed of payment, and clean up after people. I learned how to be in a very fast-paced environment and deal with people that were not very happy with their food sometimes.
Productive and fun workplace
Hostess/Server Assistant/To-go (Former Employee) –  Concord, NCJanuary 5, 2018
Relaxed, cool environment to be in and never having to worry about if you mess up no one is going to help you because it is like one big family. Enjoyable atmosphere along with the people that work there.
productive/relaxing staff and work environment
Hostess / Server Assistant (Current Employee) –  Plano, TXDecember 11, 2017
Working at On the Border has taught me how to communicate with others and how to work at a fast within a working environment. I did more than what was expected of me constantly.
Pros
flexible hours, an understanding management team, and friendly environment
Cons
low pay, there is no set amount of hours you may work
fun environment
Host/Togo & Food server (Current Employee) –  Rocky Hill, CTJuly 19, 2017
Upbeat place to work in. Always have a good time. Fast paced service. Friendly co workers. Flexible hourss. Simple tasks. Great management team . Judge free environment
Pros
good food
Cons
no cons
Fun Work Place
Server/Hostess (Former Employee) –  Miami Lakes, FLMay 24, 2017
Great food , and great people. It was my first job ever and it was a great experience. I was able to practice on multi tasking and being able to deal with large crowds.
Pros
first job alot was learned
For the young crowd
Hostess/Server (Former Employee) –  Bristol, PAApril 25, 2017
Its a job more for the younger crowd. High schoolers and first year in college it may be a good job for. It not enough to pay but for a cell phone bill and maybe to do laundry to go back to work
Pros
Free meal after training
Cons
No breaks a lot of yelling and very hot

Ask a question about working or interviewing at On the Border Mexican Grill and Cantina. Our community is ready to answer.

On the Border Mexican Grill and Cantina Reviews by Location