On the Border Mexican Grill and Cantina Employee Review

View all On the Border Mexican Grill and Cantina reviews

Garbage
Employee (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMay 8, 2019
Garbage place for garbage people. Never staffed enough. No communication between management and employees. Too many changes on company mission and goals.
Official response from On the Border Mexican Grill and Cantina
May 28, 2019

Thank you for your honest feedback. We shared your feedback with the Leadership team for this restaurant, it will help us get better.

Official response from On the Border Mexican Grill and Cantina
May 28, 2019

Thank you for the honest feedback. We shared your review with the Area Manager and Regional Director for this restaurant. Your feedback will help us get better.

Other On the Border Mexican Grill and Cantina Employee Reviews

Typical chain restaurant gig
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 17, 2019
If you've worked in one chain restaurant, you've worked in them all. Toss are limited by clientele and section assignments. But it's a good job to get your feet wet in the industry.
Honestly worst restaurant I’ve worked at.
Server (Current Employee) –  TexasJuly 17, 2019
Overall as said in the title, worst restaurant I’ve worked at in my 5 years of being in the restaurant industry. Which isn’t much time I know.. but talking to my co-workers I’m not the only one that feels this way. First off, let’s start from the top.. management has no set standard and certain rules and expectations change daily. One day you would have to do everything right and another day it doesn’t matter. This creates inconsistency and confusion especially for new hires. Another thing is that we are so short staffed in my area that the managers just hire people with a pulse it seems like. Without the thought of is this person a right fit for this team and will they get along with others. The new hires don’t even last either so it’s such a waste of time and puts the whole restaurant behind.If they would just maybe put a little more effort into the hiring process then I think we can finally have a good team that will stay for the long term instead of constantly going through the vicious cycle of weekly turnover. And look, I’m not saying the management as people are bad, they’re good people. and I know it’s hard to be picky when your so short staffed but a little extra attention to detail on who we hire would do the whole restaurant better. The next thing would be our employee discounts, this would be on the border as a whole. When I first worked there the discounts were good, if you wanted food and were working a shift it was 50% off which is pretty standard from my experience in other restaurants. Also if you worked a double you got a meal for free. Which is especially nice  more... when you only have an hours break to take anyway. In our restaurant most of the time we had to be back earlier due to people showing up late or we were very busy. So eating at the restaurant was the best option not only financially but it helped everyone time wise. Then about a month later they changed it.. there were no more free meals and the discounts were cut. You would think feeding your employees would be a priority so we would have enough energy throughout the day and weren’t starving as we were working. Also it’s not like one free meal is going to sink on the border financially. So my co-workers and I now seek out other options for food on our breaks. And one last thing.. and this is a personal experience in a way.. when I was first hired I was promised a bonus. A 30 day bonus, a 90 day bonus and monthly bonuses after that. After a month of working I was able to get my first bonus no problem. (It was taxed even though my manager said it wasn’t going to be.) but getting my 90-day bonus wasn’t as easy, actually I still haven’t gotten it. I’ve talked all my managers and even our GM and even tried to get ahold of the corporate office. All I get is empty promises of “yeah we’ll take care of you” but as each pay period passes I still haven’t seen it I’ve been here for now about 9 months and still haven’t seen it.. I mean the bonus isn’t crazy it’s a couple hundred bucks but hey that’s money I could be using for something and I was promised it from the very beginning. But nope.. nothing. Keep asking and asking but no one I mean no one can give me a straight answer. So if they promise you anything when it comes to a “new hire” bonus or a “staying” bonus. Be very very careful and definitely keep up with it and make sure they remember. Because my managers still are jerking me around and I’m the only employee left that was hired during that promotion so I feel like they feel that they don’t need to give me that bonus at all anymore.. horrible.. but yeah that’s my experience @ on the border. The only thing that keeps me here is the purple but other than that I’d be out of here especially with the bonus thing.  less

Ask a question about working or interviewing at On the Border Mexican Grill and Cantina. Our community is ready to answer.