On the Border Mexican Grill and Cantina Employee Reviews

fun workplace with team player employees
Dishwasher/Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  6369 S Southlands Pkwy, Aurora, CO 80016June 25, 2019
On the border mexican grill, the food runners and servers made more money than olive garden, they treat the employees better, and I was a dishwasher / prep cook at On the Border so I moved very fast on a timely matter without accidents, hard worker who is very motivated to work in a fast pace environment.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
healthcare
Great Place to work
BAR MANGER (Former Employee) –  Allen, TXJune 25, 2019
This company promotes from within and takes care of employees, teamwork there is awsome. Great benefits and paid vacations. Tips are good and hour are flexible.
Great management and coworkers
Server/Wait Staff (Current Employee) –  Peoria, AZJune 20, 2019
My Management and coworkers are what make this job so great. As a server you often have to deal with rude customers and in a fast-paced environment, thing are bound to get messed up once in awhile and cause stress. My strong management and compassionate coworkers help ensure that even when things get messed up, everyone leaves happy.
Fun place, great music in the back
Busser (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCJune 17, 2019
It's a culture. People have fun, you work as a crew or fall apart as one. Easy to spot liabilities that way and shift appropriately. A lot of budding chefs come through just to learn.
Pros
Discount meals
Cons
You begin to become desensitized to the food
This used to be a fantastic culture, but leadership changed that
In the middle (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXJune 14, 2019
When I joined the company it was a great place to work. Then, there were some changes to senior leadership and the morale has eroded. No one is happy except for the ones that have managed to avoid disagreements with the leadership team. There is a new CEO whose style has created a poor work environment. Everyone is just trying to stay out of the way and keep their heads down. Diversity of thought is gone, having a different opinion is gone, giving honest feedback is gone. Lots of changes and challenging head winds are ahead for this company and wouldn't be surprised if they get sold.
Pros
You have a job
Cons
Then you don't have a job
good company to work for
Assistant Manager, Bartender, Cook, Catering (Current Employee) –  Orange, CTJune 13, 2019
overall a good company to work for just would like to change hours and a new career. i learned a lot about restaurant business there. started from cooking to management.
Good
Server (Former Employee) –  Neshaminy, PAJune 12, 2019
Great place for friends and family to get together great environment very fast paced and people on. It's a nice job for college kids but just wasn't enough for me .
Flexable and enjoyable
Assistant Manager, Trainer, Server (Current Employee) –  El Cajon, CAJune 11, 2019
I have worked for On The Border for almost 19 years. When I started my children were young so I loved how flexible they were with my hours. The family oriented owner/management team always made the work place enjoyable.
Great first time job!
Bartender/Server (Former Employee) –  Bowie, MDJune 8, 2019
On the border is a great work environment to work in, especially if it's your first job. You learn to be bold and confident, as well as being respectful and have table manners with customers. I've learned while working there, you get to meet many new faces and personalities which expand your social life. the hardest part of the job is when the lunch/dinner rush kicks in and you have a big section but you learn to get better with overcoming those obstacles. the greatest part is when you receive compliments for your hard work and dedication. highly recommend for 1st time workers.
It was a fun experience.
Server (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJune 8, 2019
I had a good time bonding with the employees and customers and talking to them and making them feel at home I enjoyed being there for the time I was there
Pros
Fast money, and experience.
Cons
Sometimes you don't get tips or as much as you joped
Loved working there
Server at On the Border (Current Employee) –  Arlington, TXJune 4, 2019
The typical day at On the border is great i get along with all the servers and the management team is phenomenal. I learned from working there that there are many different types of people in the world and getting to know and work with them is a very exciting and enjoyable time. The most enjoyable part of the job would be how cooperative everybody is there they really do care about their staff and management. The hardest part of the job i would have to say is the uncertainty of money flow or customer appearance.
Pros
Great cooperation
Cons
Minimal money
No hours, and small pay checks
Host/ Service assistant (Former Employee) –  Westland, MIMay 31, 2019
They give you about 4 hours a week and pay you bi weekly. You will barely make any money here, it was awful and new management needs to be considered.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Everything else
June 4, 2019

Thank you for your feedback. I'll share your concerns with the area's leadership team. your feedback is going to help us get better.

Great People Lots of Fun
GENERAL MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMay 30, 2019
I appreciate all the fine folks at OTB. I unfortunately just left there due to personal reasons but a big thanks for the experience.

The upper Management are great with lots of support and clear direction.
Pros
Decent work life balance
Cons
Compensation
June 4, 2019

We appreciate your service at OTB! We are sad to see you leave and wish you the best! Don't forget to come back and visit us sometime!

Really good and fun environment to work in
Host/Server Assistant (Current Employee) –  Highlands Ranch, COMay 23, 2019
The management staff is amazing. The working environment is truly amazing as well as my fellow colleagues. It is a very relaxed but stressful job. I would recommend a more flexible schedule.
May 28, 2019

We are so happy to hear you enjoy working with the management team and your fellow colleagues at your OTB! We appreciate you coming to work everything with a positive attitude! Feedback on a more flexible work schedule will be passed along! :)

stressful!!
Server (Former Employee) –  Woodland Park, NJMay 21, 2019
i had a love hate relationship with this job. Absolutely loved most of my co-workers, (when someone wasn’t stealing from me) I loved the money I made most days, but the management staff was a bit of a nightmare. They could care less about their employees & would put their own lives before the people who worked with them to make the establishment better.. certain managers played favoritism toward the servers , bartenders & host, while one of my managers barely came out of the office, but would come out to eat or boss us around like we weren’t already doing our job. hopefully they work to turn things around or they will never have servers for more than a month.
Pros
discounted food :)
Cons
the managers suck
May 28, 2019

Hello, Thank you for your feedback. We are going to touch base with the Area Director for this restaurant and follow up. It's really important to On The Border as a company to put our people first.

Buen ambiente laboral
Cook (Former Employee) –  Rogers, ARMay 19, 2019
Buenos compañeros de trabajo. Trato con respeto. Comida gratis para el trabajador.
May 28, 2019

Nos complace escuchar que te gusta trabajar en OTB tanto como lo hacemos! ¡Gracias!

On the Border
Dishwasher/Prep Cook (Current Employee) –  Southaven, MSMay 18, 2019
Working at on the border could be fun sometimes. but I wouldn't say you should work there. I didn't like it as much but if would like to work there be my guest.
Pros
discount food
Cons
short breaks
Great work environment
Server (Former Employee) –  Elkridge, MDMay 14, 2019
The environment and staff were great, everyone was close and helpful. The managers step in wherever needed and it shows when things get busy. Support staff makes life easy
Pros
Good business
Cons
Cheap food
May 28, 2019

We are so happy to hear you enjoy working with your management team and coworkers! Thank you for the feedback!

Love this place
Server/Bartender (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSMay 14, 2019
Love serving people. It's not steady pay cause you work for tips, but if you put in the time and effort towards your tables you can get out what you put in. Management is awesome and always has been. It's a fun environment. I kept this job on top of my full time job just for extra cash and if I wanted to get my mind off my other job for a little. I would recommend this job to anyone, high schoolers and college kids especially. The managers work with any schedule.
Pros
discounts on food
Cons
no insurance or benefits if you're a server
May 28, 2019

We are so happy to hear you love working at OTB and you like your managers! Thank you for staying with us and helping us take care of our guests!

Garbage
Employee (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMay 8, 2019
Garbage place for garbage people. Never staffed enough. No communication between management and employees. Too many changes on company mission and goals.
May 28, 2019

Thank you for your honest feedback. We shared your feedback with the Leadership team for this restaurant, it will help us get better.

May 28, 2019

Thank you for the honest feedback. We shared your review with the Area Manager and Regional Director for this restaurant. Your feedback will help us get better.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at On the Border Mexican Grill and Cantina. Our community is ready to answer.