On The Border Employee Reviews

A quick paced and well organized workplace
Server (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COJanuary 13, 2019
I enjoyed working here and a typical day at work included taking several tables as a server and also many cleaning duties. I learned how to efficiently wait on my tables and management was always on top of things. The culture was kind and we worked as a team, although the hardest part of the job was when we got very busy suddenly. I loved the people I worked with and how helpful people were.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Healthcare
Pays well but you earn it
Kit chen Manager (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IADecember 4, 2018
I was part of a satellite store and it definitely felt like it. For five months me and one other manager worked 90 hours plus a week while waiting for new managers to be hired.

Saw my area director once during that time. Never was compensated for the extra time put in or the loss of days off.

Never received ongoing career counseling or training. They didn’t let us go to conferences or meetings cause it cost to much to fly us out.
Pros
Free tacos
Cons
Long hours with
Competent Management with Understaffed crew
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Hicksville, NYOctober 18, 2018
This job is great if you’re in high school or college and need some side cash. But if you need a full time career, this job wouldn’t fulfill that need. Accept the part time gig and find income elsewhere. There’s definitely consistent understaffed shifts which isn’t the management’s fault, but the staff is incredibly young and the entire enviorment feels immature and slightly unprofessional (again, not management’s fault). The supervisor’s are friendly and understanding indivuals, but unfortunately only have so much control over the staff, food and customer’s. This job is good for quick money and if you could tolerate a highly stressful environment.
Pros
management, weekly pay, tips
Cons
understaffed, chaotic
New GM great Attitudes
Guest Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COSeptember 13, 2018
Wonderful customers, fun and active family-like job atmosphere. loved the management (who was very fair). Great place to work. Our General Manager was fired because of the staff sent emails letting the District Manager know there were various amounts of incorrect and immoral happenings in the restaurant. Since then the new GM and the changes in the staff are refreshing. Very casual and comfortable.
Good money, passive aggressive management
Trainer, Server, Hostess (Former Employee) –  Kentwood, MISeptember 2, 2018
Management across the board in the food service industry seem to have issues with the world, and this includes On the Border. If you can get past management you will find that the corporate company culture is something that is absolutely amazing, but follow through with the uncaring generation Z employees is non existent.

Overall the opportunity to make money here is better than a lot of other restaurants in the area.
Pros
Discounted food, good money
Cons
Short or non existent breaks, cranky management
Good workplace for the right candidate.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Princeton, NJ & Neshaminy, PAJune 6, 2018
For the right person, On The Border has great opportunities, benefits and culture. It was not the right fit for me. But did offer me what I needed for my family at the time; and provided what I needed for career growth. My background ha sbeen extensively wine and fine dining. Not Tequila and Tacos.
Pros
Flexibility, benefits, security.
Cons
Fast Casual, which I feel is a dying culture.
it was a decent place to work at temporarily
Server (Former Employee) –  Rapid City, SD 57701December 22, 2018
The environment was awesome but it just wasn't a job for me. I enjoyed the management and the staff but i wanted something more. There didnt seem to be much room to grow within.
Pros
shifts
Cons
no growth
Good Company
Assistant General Manager (Former Employee) –  Rogers, ARFebruary 19, 2019
Enjoyed my time there and was taken care majority of the time for working hard. Enjoyed the fast paced environment and mostly the people. Competition to maintain a full staff was difficult at times with associate cannibalization of other restaurants.
Pros
Free Food
Cons
Work/life balance
Very cheery and good natured staff with helpful and attentive management.
Server Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZJanuary 13, 2019
A company that always helped their workers when possible. If any team member had issues management would be quick to take care of the fuss in turn ensuring that no further complications arose.
Could use improvement, but overall a decent part time job
HOSTESS (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJanuary 17, 2019
Had the job since high school and only worked there through college. Regional management could definitely be improved. Have seen many good general managers and assistant managers leave due to the poor quality of corporate/regional management. Overall decent place to have a part time job. Fun work atmosphere. Good food.
Pros
Discounted food

Want to know more about On The Border?

Ask a question
horrible
Bartender (Former Employee) –  West Windsor, NJDecember 4, 2018
my work day consisted of picking up everyone elses slack, management didnt care what happened behind the scenes. One made it clear she was only there for a paycheck.
Fast paced food service with some room to grow
Server/Waiter (Current Employee) –  Grandville, MISeptember 9, 2018
Fast paced food service with chances to move up to higher positions in most cases. This company just received a new CEO who is changing lots of things, so things from corporate are a little all over the place right now
On the border
Hospitality Manager (Former Employee) –  Hicksville, NYNovember 6, 2018
Worked here for over a year. Moved up into management position. Very high turn over with the staff, hourly and management. Possibility to make money if you’re a hard worker
Company has a high turnover rate, even in high rank employees.
Bar Manager (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXNovember 1, 2018
Seems like management just couldn't keep up. OTB cuts corners wherever they can to cut labor to an unattainable percentage. With a high turnover rate and multiple promos, that is very difficult.
great place to work
Server/Bartender (Current Employee) –  Holbrook, NYSeptember 13, 2018
on the border is a great place to work. it has a great environment, great management, and great staff. The deals are awesome with happy hour running from 3PM - 7PM Monday through Friday and a late night happy hour from 9PM to 11PM Sunday through Thursday.
Waste of time
Server (Former Employee) –  MichiganOctober 17, 2018
If you're not a favorite server to a manager you'll always be put on the back burner. Some days I work a shift for only 2 1/2 hours never more than 4 hours. Sometimes they will call you off. I didn't mind how much I was making in tips, however when you tipped out I left with less. I can easily make $30 in 2 hours, however as an experienced server, I don't make tips for gas money. This job was not worth the headache.
Pros
Discounts on food
Cons
Favorites, 2 hours given per shift, benefits not available unless you work a certain amount of hours
Highly recommend
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Avon, INJune 9, 2018
On The Border is a great starter job for anyone. The management was awesome, and there is a high chance of promoting within. I think that the benefits could be better.
Pros
Discounted lunches, promoting within
Benefits
Good work environment.
Host, Food Runner, Caterer (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZSeptember 4, 2018
A typical day at work was mostly busy. I learned a lot about the hospitality business and how to deal with customers. The management was great. They are all very nice.
Don't bother
Server (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVSeptember 16, 2018
The location isn't ideal. Only certain times of the year are busy, customers are very demanding compared to other places I've worked. Hours are hit and miss, you are either overloaded with no outside life or given nothing with no way of making a living for that week/month. Pretty lenient with days off, unless it is a holiday, which is hard for workers who have family out of town. Some servers are dramatic and it's always 1 person to ruin things for the other workers.
Pros
free food sometimes, decent tips, easy to get time off
Cons
no benefits, drama
Overall View
Manager (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXSeptember 9, 2018
West Texas location, not a great labor pool, company was solid, this location was very strong in numbers and KPI's.
Good management team, the controls were good. customer service better. The restaurant had a bad reputation for service and quality but current management brought the experience back to enjoyable welcoming many returning customers back to the fold.
The hardest part was the constant turnover and hiring in the weak labor pool, combatting the living costs which varied with the oil market. Since it was an older store, maintenance was always an ongoing process,
Hard a good customer base, friendly, warm, solid employee base of about 5 employees which were reliable and responsible.
Learned that management in West Texas is mostly being able to work all positions at any given moment, day or time. Often working several positions in the same day was typical.
Overall, I liked the job and the position
Pros
Customers, good management
Cons
Labor turnover, weak labor pool, cost of living

Ask a question about working or interviewing at On The Border. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at On The Border.

Powered by Comparably