On The Border Employee Reviews

Chill place to work
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Saint Charles, ILJune 17, 2018
As a hostess, I didn't spend too many hours there since it's slow, so it's a good part time job. If you're going to serve there, you gotta work a lot to make money because it can be a little slow. Fridays and Saturdays get pretty busy and there isn't a super organized system for seating people/reservations, so it's kind of difficult.
Pros
Free meals
Cons
Can be slow
Highly recommend
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Avon, INJune 9, 2018
On The Border is a great starter job for anyone. The management was awesome, and there is a high chance of promoting within. I think that the benefits could be better.
Pros
Discounted lunches, promoting within
Benefits
Good workplace for the right candidate.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Princeton, NJ & Neshaminy, PAJune 6, 2018
For the right person, On The Border has great opportunities, benefits and culture. It was not the right fit for me. But did offer me what I needed for my family at the time; and provided what I needed for career growth. My background ha sbeen extensively wine and fine dining. Not Tequila and Tacos.
Pros
Flexibility, benefits, security.
Cons
Fast Casual, which I feel is a dying culture.
First server job
Server (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 5, 2018
Not much training, was a high level employee and wasnt able to move up. Good first server job. Taught me the essentials to serving. Was never encouraged to be more
Pros
Great employee meals
Poor Management
Server (Former Employee) –  Leawood, KSMay 26, 2018
Management did not take serious matters seriously, and frequently acted as if the restaurant was a high school like environment. Low professionalism as well as low standards for food quality and customer care. Pros being very flexible hours.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Poor management
It depends on the Manager
Waitress (Current Employee) –  GeorgiaMay 24, 2018
You may end up working with the ok manager or a good manager. Some co workers need to just switch careers. for the hours I work its a hit or miss.....
Pros
not a bad commute
Cons
lazy workers
Made great money. Very stressful environment
Server/Bartender (Former Employee) –  OklahomaMay 21, 2018
Cook's are very disrespectful and management does nothing about it. It takes a long time to get a good section. The money is not worth the stress. Only one good manager. Most people there are backstabbers. You think they are your friends but they are only out for self
Pros
Good money. Good discounts
Cons
Inconsistent. Bad management. Expensive insurance
Easy going but hard time with scheduling
Lead "To-Go" Server and Hostess (Current Employee) –  Midwest City, OKMay 20, 2018
On The Border is an easy-going place to work and the employees are very nice too. However, asking for time off was always a hassle. I learned a lot about the restaurant industry and bettered my people skills.
Good resturant for starting server
Hostess, Togo person, Server (Former Employee) –  Highlands Ranch, COMay 16, 2018
This place is a good restaurant to work at for your first job, serving or hosting... hosts had to do togo orders as well and were not paid enough for how much work they are.
On the border!!!
To-go attendant /Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kentwood, MIMay 11, 2018
I loved on the border I was in the first crew to open the woodland mall location and it was nothing but good vibes the food was awesome the staff was even better.
Great place to work!
Server, (Current Employee) –  Gastonia, NCApril 17, 2018
On the Border, Gastonia has a great team of managers who are willing to work with you for what you need. They have been extremely supportive as I've been in school part time to become a licensed esthetician. They were flexible with me and took the time to listen when there was a problem. The most enjoyable part of this job was the discount on all of the food. Queso, burritos, and enchiladas , yum! Everyone looks out for each other there and we strive for a team effort in everything. It's a great place to work because I don't mind going into work when I have to. It can be really fun to see all of your friends!
Pros
Discounts, life long friends
Cons
Quick paced
This company has been driven into the ground.
Restaurant Manager (Current Employee) –  TexasApril 11, 2018
Clientele and company has changed dramatically over the last 5 years. Specials are ran constantly but most are overly hyped up by corporate. Restaurants are told to staff up and be prepared for busy shifts but are scorned when corporate marketing efforts don't pay off. Many times restaurants are not given enough notice on last minute specials so this results in poorly prepared shifts. IT department is a joke since they fired almost everyone in the IT department and replaced them with people that don't even know half of the programs that are used in the restaurant. The company suddenly had to make a 2 million dollar budget cut in labor last year so they had all stores run with a bare minimum staff. This lasted about three weeks until corporate got sick of getting guest complaints due to stores being short staffed/not prepared. Training is poor whether you are a cook, a server, or a manager. Training is rushed because upper management does not want the money spent on training but somehow wants restaurants to produce solidly skilled employees. Manager training is always rushed because the company is always short managers. We just got a new CEO now so we will see if things change for the better.
Pros
Advancement Opportunities, Flexibility (as an hourly employee)
Cons
Too much change, poor management
Good Job for College Students
Server (Former Employee) –  Wichita Falls, TXApril 11, 2018
I worked there while working my way through college. Not bad hours, decent money, and friendly atmosphere. I would recommend anyone looking for extra cash while working through school.
its a okay job to work at
Host/busser/server (Current Employee) –  Bowie, MDApril 5, 2018
If you know what you're doing you can easily make decent money. when i come in i just stick to my role for the night and worry about my section that i am placed in for the night.
Fast-paced, but still a good environment to work in. People are nice and friendly.
Silverware Roller (Former Employee) –  Weatherford, TXApril 1, 2018
The business is a little fast-paced on some days, but it's still a nice, friendly environment to work in. It's also a great place for someone's first job if you're looking for experience in the restaurant business. They provide plenty of chances for you to work your way up to bigger positions and want you to succeed for the most part. Management, however, can be unorganized sometimes, so people may be asked to work over their original out-time if employees don't show up in time for shifts. Some of the other employees were very lazy when I was working there also, and if they are, you are required to pick up their slack. It can be frustrating, but overall a good place to work.
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Short breaks, pay for lunch or none
a family type work environmet
Server, Marketing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cary, NCMarch 24, 2018
it was always a pleasure to go to work there, if i had not moved i would have returned to the company when they reopened after the fire. The managemant was consistent, in all locations I worked in Raliegh.
It's serving tables
Server (Former Employee) –  Mount Laurel, NJMarch 19, 2018
It's exactly what you would expect if you have ever served tables at a restaurant before. The managers were nice and helpful and the money started to dwindle towards the end of my time working there.
Very fun and fair
Food Runner (Former Employee) –  Elkridge, MDMarch 15, 2018
Easy work, everyone was very fun to work with. Scheduling was never a problem, and you could always take on different positions. The pay was pretty good and you could always get more hours from other positions.
Pros
pay was good, and fun work
Cons
management communication was a little slow
right site and your set!
Server/ Bartender/ Trainer (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COMarch 9, 2018
this place is really character and career building. they promote from within and understand things happen in life. co workers become family. and tips are great too.
Pros
1/2 off food
Cons
no exact time out
fast moving hectic place to work
HOST (Former Employee) –  Holtsville, NYMarch 5, 2018
Everyone means well, things just are not run as a proper restaurant should. Management is all over the place. Other hosts and servers were a pleasure to work with, made life long friends.
Pros
made life long friends
Cons
management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at On The Border. Our community is ready to answer.