One Medical Employee Reviews

Needs to restructure compensation
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  San Francisco Bay Area, CAOctober 14, 2018
Although the culture at One Medical is great, many employees feel that compensation is not fair for the work we perform. Depending on your role, there are some opportunities for growth, however, those in a managerial role often feel like there is little development.
I loved One Medical
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 7, 2018
It was a great job to have shortly after college. I had wonderful co-workers and developed life-long relationships. I grew professionally and realized new things about myself and my abilities. I love this company.
Pros
Annual meeting, great benefits, management
favoritism and forced friendships
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 27, 2018
annoying weekly meetings with management. favoritism rampant as is cronyism. admins take on "project: roles that require additional work without additional pay to account for added responsibilities. young team which has its social pros and unprofessional/petty cons. yearly weekend trips the company pays for, great holiday parties.
If only I had known what the job was really like
VMT Provider (Current Employee) –  VirtualAugust 17, 2018
I went into this thinking it would be a fabulous work/life balance and envisioned virtual visits, team support along with an exciting cutting edge work place. What I found is an employer that has taken providers with high level clinical skills and bogged them down with administrative tasks, minutiae and unnecessary meaningless work that would better be managed by a medical assistant or pharmacy technician.

I was sold on the virtual visits and soon found out that was a very small part of my day. All the worst parts of healthcare are the largest parts of my job.

You are expected to refill medications you are not responsible for and have very little input into whether the medication is appropriate. You can push back but expect "feedback"

There is an unnatural and weird attachment to communicating via emoticon.
Pros
You can take this job anywhere, low skill level, really nice co-workers....the people are awesome
Cons
A move away from team based care, worst PTO in the healthcare industry, inflexible work schedules, really poor job satisfaction
Unfortunate
Admin Assistant, Inventory Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 8, 2018
The ethos is good. None of the execution lives up to the plan. Management is inexperienced and bias. Culture very cult-like and if you are not well liked, you will not be promoted, despite your qualifications. Management not open to hearing plight of the rank and file. Despite what they say, the patients are not the focus, the $$ are.
Pros
Annual paid conference, lots of your basic Google type start up perks.
A Great Stop-Gap Place
IT Analyst (Former Employee) –  San Francisco County, CAJuly 12, 2018
Working for coporate was great, but One Medical is going through a phase of corporate growth and leaving the start-up culture. The benefits are severly lacking and offer no reason to stay if another organization is offering a better package.
Great Mission, Still Some Work To Do
Medical Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 16, 2018
One Medical'a mission and everything that it wants to stand for is extremely rewarding and powerful. Sometimes they loose focus of it and are a little too money conscious not in the right areas like making sure their EXTREMELY hard working administrative and virtual clinical team has the support and compensation to keep the housed, happy, and healthy.
Do not apply if you don't like stress.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 26, 2018
This company is odd because they push diversity without being diverse. Most of you day is spent on the phone with angry customers who, honestly, are paying way too much for a yearly membership. Working with insurance companies is tedious, and when your co-workers don't know how, or don't want to, do the work, it all gets stuck on your shoulders.
Learned a lot, but mostly that it's stressful to take care of someone's health, and worth way more than $18 an hour.
Pros
cool company trips, nice offices
Cons
stressful, bad co-workers
Horrible work environment
phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Gilbert, AZMarch 30, 2018
Management is a joke! The atmosphere is tense, and high school-like. The management team is a bunch of alcoholics that set "meetings" to drink with each other.
Pros
Cons
ALL of One Medical was a con
Bad environment for physicians
Physician (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 4, 2018
They treat you like a robot. All patients are asked to review you after each appointment and they scrutinize you for any review that does not say your a fantastic doctor. Everything is based on popularity with your patients and reviews. It’s all about them wanting a bubbly, happy, pretty and pleasing robot to give patients anything they ask for. If you don’t do that don’t work here!
Pros
Long visit times with patients
Cons
Completely clueless management
Lots of promise
Boston, MA - Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 1, 2018
During the interview process I was led to believe that One Medical had a public health leaning, and though they do have a moral, mission-driven approach, this does not translate to the administrative level. Basically, the admin role is glorified by superiors and generally we are more appreciated than in other healthcare companies. However, at the end of the day it is simply a cushy administrative job. You don't even need any college in order to apply! Upward movement is largely defined by your attitude, if you are a bubbly, positive person you will probably move up. Also, being friends with lots of colleagues determines your promotion more so than performance and work ethic.
Pros
Travel, minimal experience required
Cons
Cliquey work environment
Good mission statement, aims to reinvent how health care is delivered, poor execution & overworking providers.
Physician Assistant-Certified (Current Employee) –  Berkeley, CAFebruary 28, 2018
Providers are expected to see 16 patients daily, answer patient's emails, do medication refills, review consult letters and review patient's labs in a 9 hour day, with a 1 hour lunch scheduled which most providers work through 1/2 of their lunch break. There is no administrative time built into the day. Most provider panels are at least 1200 deep.
Pros
Support staff with administrative assistant who work on referral and imaging insurance coverage, calling specialist for urgent appt.
Cons
long days with low pay, PTO combined with sick/vacation/CME time, encourages providers to go to work sick
Great place to work.
Inventory Administrator (Former Employee) –  Hawthorne, CAFebruary 2, 2018
I learned a lot in this position.
The company was started in 2007.
The management for each district is different.
Most employees stay with the company on average 1.5 years to 5.5 years.
Paid sabbatical at 5 years.
Pros
Office and district events/ parties.Opportunities to transfer offices and/ or districts.
I have never worked anywhere that everyone actually enjoyed being at work.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Rafael, CAJanuary 25, 2018
Just as the title says, you cannot say this for just anywhere. One Medical it just that amazing to work at. The most pleasant work environment. If I didn't move I would 100% still be with One Medical.
Integrative Primary Care
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 17, 2018
Fast-paced Integrative primary care. Patient-focused, empathetic doctors. As an admin assistant I didn't feel that I was compensated enough for the amount of work I did. I believe they have changed their pay scale since then so I am unaware how the pay is now. Workplace culture was very friendly and supportive of others
Great group of people who love to collaborate and drive progress towards disrupting the current healthcare system.
OPERATIONS MANAGER (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 15, 2018
There was always plenty to be done and seemingly not enough time to do it all, but that's typical of any startup. It's really up to you to establish your own work/life balance by naming and sticking to your boundaries. If you ever have too much on your plate, you have to speak up and advocate for yourself. This is true of any job, but especially important to keep in mind when working for a startup.

I appreciated that I had the flexibility to work from home, but also had a cool, modern office to work in as well. The people are awesome. Very few egos getting in the way of work being done efficiently and effectively. People who don't fit the culture typically stick out like sore thumbs right away and don't stay for long.

There are quite a few younger folks in management positions, which is not necessarily bad, but sometimes you need leaders who are more experienced. That said, there is a lot of support around development but it's a little less evident if you aren't in the administrative or management roles. Again, you have to advocate for yourself because the company is still in its growth phase and figuring things out, e.g. career pathing or learning and development.
Pros
Catered "lunch & learn" 1x/week, modern offices, egalitarian structure, not ego driven, mission/values based, lots of opportunity to grow.
Cons
Some processes are unclear or inefficient and you feel the growth pains as a result, for the amount of work you do you may feel like you aren't paid enough, career pathing options are really unclear if you are in any roles aside from administration, phlebotomy, or office management.
Culturally Fun and Outgoing Evnironment
Membership Sales Advisor/Event Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 2, 2018
I have loved working at One Medical. The business model is amazing and the work is really touching people's hearts and lives in such a positive way. I hate to be looking for a new job, but there is no flexibility for working remotely or from home for my particular position and I am moving to San Tan Valley, AZ and that is over and hour drive into the office everyday in North Phoenix. I make extremely good money for what I do and I don't want to lose out on that but I have to weigh my pros and cons about pay and distance.
Good temp company
Admin (Current Employee) –  Washington City, DCDecember 29, 2017
You're not making a career here. Despite what they try to tell you, this is a temporary position for the vast majority. But it's a good place to work, you'll learn alot and gain good friendships and insight. Benefits are definitely great.
If you are not an Admin this might be a great place to work
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 7, 2017
Do not come to work here if you are an ADMIN.

You will be over worked and under paid, and if you are good... taken advantage of.

However every other role seems to really love the environment. Apparently it is a lot less stressful as you move up the totem pole
Pros
free events, great health benefits
Cons
short breaks, fluctuating schedules, rude patients, oblivious management
Great for patients not so great for certain types of employees
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 20, 2017
The offices are very chic and inviting. The company definitely takes customer service and patient care seriously. However, in my opinion they do not embrace diversity or individuality in the workplace unless you are close friends with management. There is a specific demographic that they hire.
Pros
benefits, location
Cons
no workplace diversity, cliquey

Ask a question about working or interviewing at One Medical. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

3.9InHerSight Score

3.7Personal Development

4.3Career Opportunities

3.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight