One Step Beyond, Inc Employee Reviews

Productive, fun, and stable workplace
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHSeptember 2, 2018
Productive, fun, and stable workplace with great employers. Small staff feels like family. Early morning, great clients, and vendors. Good pay and benefits as well.
Love the members!!
Someone (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 22, 2018
As most before me I stay for the members. I think there's alot of shady things happening. Packing the DTA is in the members are not happy with that North neither is the staff. It seems as though the company has been more geared toward making money rather than the member and family oriented as they set out to be. Lots and lots of favoritism. They also need to hire people that are not so inept and a lot of immaturity at this company Let's get back to who we used to be at one step.
Pros
The members all the way!!
Cons
Staff is very immature, management can be the same way
Great Cause
Program Director/ Lead Job Coach (Former Employee) –  Peoria, AZFebruary 12, 2018
If you want to make a difference in the lives of others than there is no better place than One Step Beyond. They cater to enhancing the lives of young adults with disabilities by giving them full life experiences.
Would never work for this company again
Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Former Employee) –  Glendale, AZJanuary 29, 2018
Work place is very hostile, they need new supervisors and staff period, higher up such as people overseeing the supervisors don’t care about the members and work place until something blows up at the job. Job is more like an high school
Pros
Working with members very rewarding
Cons
Short breaks/staff are disgusting, not about the members, environment overall is very draining and difficult to work under
Members are the only reason to stay
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Surprise, AZOctober 12, 2017
It's a family company, so if you're not family or family friend you don't get advanced. Some management is alright but a majority just ignore staff when changes are needed or complaints are made. There is the steady promise of addressing staff and member needs, but it is just promises. They try to make you feel bad, by bringing up whether or not you care for the members, when you ask for changes (to benefit both members and staff). On the bright side, most of the staff and some management are kind and devoted. But it is the kind and devoted staff that are being run off. If you stay long enough you will find they have a huge turn around of staff most the time, and that almost everyone talks about leaving or finding work elsewhere.
Pros
Members
Do this job because you Love it
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Peoria, AZJuly 30, 2017
I absolutely LOVE my job. The members are the kindest people ever. Opportunity to move up is there. This company prefers to hire within if possible. So once your in and your good and what you do their is advancement potential. I received two promotions in 2 years. Pay could be better however.
Pros
Overtime with Friday Fun Nights
Cons
Doesn't Pay Enough.
Fun place to work
Direct Care/ HCBS Provider (Current Employee) –  Peoria, AZDecember 30, 2016
Great place to work if you love diversity and bringing smiles to people's faces. I love interacting with my clients and we get to do fun things like taking local trips out into the community to help teach living skills to clients.
A day in the life with Special Needs
Health and Wellness Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Glendale, AZDecember 3, 2016
What gives me joy in my work is that is appreciated unconditionally by the members that I serve. With society looking down on those that were born less fortunate for whatever reason, it's that foundation that I base my relationship with these members.

Helping those that truly need and appreciate it make life worthwhile.
Best experience of my life!!
Senior Director (Current Employee) –  Peoria, AZNovember 29, 2016
I have been involved with One Step Beyond, Inc. for over 13 years. The company and staff, involved in making the dreams of people with disability a reality, are some the most dedicated, professional, experienced, and compassionate people whom I've had the privilege to work with. One Step Beyond, Inc offers the highest of quality of programs that encompasses not only independent life skills and employment programs, but art, dance, music, fitness and culinary programs. I would highly recommend this company to anyone who is looking at making a difference in the life of a person with an intellectual disability, as it has changed my life and I couldn't be more proud to be part of such a wonderful organization.
Pros
benefits, culture, life experiences
Cons
Best experience of my life!!
Senior Director Vocational & Culinary Programs (Current Employee) –  Peoria, AZNovember 29, 2016
I have been involved with One Step Beyond, Inc. for over 13 years. The company and staff, involved in making the dreams of people with disability a reality, are some the most dedicated, professional, experienced, and compassionate people whom I've had the privilege to work with. One Step Beyond, Inc offers the highest of quality of programs that encompasses not only independent life skills and employment programs, but art, dance, music, fitness and culinary programs as well. I would highly recommend this company to anyone who is looking at making a difference in the life of a person with an intellectual disability, as it has changed my life and I couldn't be more proud to be part of such a wonderful organization.
Pros
Benefits, culture, life experiences
Slow
Vocational Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Peoria, AZNovember 18, 2016
Family business not enough employee meetings, no pay increases for entry positions. Not enough space for the clients to have productive classes. Old management dictates
Pros
Cool employees
Cons
No HR department
A rewarding environment based on helping Program Members
Executive Director (Former Employee) –  Glendale, AZJune 7, 2016
As a past Board Member coming into the operations environment I quickly experienced the lack of transparency of information from Management to the Board of Directors.

Over the last 5 year period, the Organization has seen 6 Executive Directors come and go, and my 15 month length of service was the longest.

The Company being made up of mostly young people, were very receptive of learning new methods, educational opportunities and rewards. These were seldom offered over the last 11 years.

The Student Members were a joy to be with every day.
Great management and staff
Job Coach, Direct support provider (Current Employee) –  Peoria, AZMay 8, 2015
running classes for participants to learn skills to be more independent while using time management and taking responsibility to help achieve career goals.
Pros
fun place to work
Cons
low pay and healthcare
Fun and enjoyable place to work.
Student Van Driver (Current Employee) –  Peoria, AZMarch 11, 2015
One Step beyond is wonderful. The students and staff are great to work with. It is a wonderful place to work. The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing the faces of the students. How they smile everyday when they greet you. I have learned how much people with cognitive disabilities can mean so much to you. How much they can brighten up your day.
Pros
Working with wonderful people.
Administration (Current Employee) –  Peoria, AZDecember 6, 2014
One Step Beyond, Inc. provides an invaluable service to the community by servicing adults with cognitive learning disabilities. The overall experience encounters barriers at times because it is a non-profit agency. The company is growing by leaps and bounds with significant potential.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Non-Profit (State Funded)
In home care close to me
Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Peoria, AZMay 14, 2014
Most of the time I spend with this individual is when she returns from the program and until her parents arrive.
We talk, prepare snacks, and if need be, dinner.
I am able to spend the night with her as necessary also.
Pros
Enjoyable individual close to me
Cons
no problems
Working with kids developing athletic behaviors and meeting goals
Owner/Operator (Current Employee) –  McHenry, ILJuly 7, 2013
Coach Kids which is something that I love to do. my typical day involves training kids.
Pros
Kids