OneAmerica Employee Reviews

Poor Management - Massive Layoffs
Processor (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 6, 2018
The "upper management" is inept at best. Making massive layoffs at a time when the team I was on was 4 months behind. Most of the people there are great to work with but the management needs to rethink their workflows and systems.

They VP over Regulatory Services should step down due to incompetence. Switched to a system that was supposed to make life easier and shorter turn around time. In reality it made things much harder and extended turn around times by 300%.

The "upper management" including the CEO made massive layoffs with out given any thought as to teams that may be so far behind due to incompetent decisions by "Upper Management"
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Way to much OT
Good ideals but lacking how to execute
Manager (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 22, 2018
They have a mission but not enough clarity on how to follow it.
The workplace is updated but the management is still old school.
Lots of team spent in meetings about meetings. Very matrixed organization with tons of sign offs and more meetings before a decision can be made.
Lots of micromanaging. Many people don't get how work gets done if you aren't sitting with your back side in a chair at your desk.
Pros
Strong history, care about customers
Cons
Terrible technology, stuck in the micro managing days.
Not a bad place, too many re-orgs
IT Service Delivery Manager - EUC & Service Desk (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 22, 2018
OneAmerica isn't a bad place to work, but management relies heavily on "perception" and input from outside sources to evaluate job performance. Company has had 2 re-orgs in 3 years, which keeps people on edge.
Great company to work for
Quality Control Specialist (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 18, 2018
Overall great company. The CEO gets to know people on a personal basis. Company plans fun events. Great benefits. Flexible hours. Company was top heavy for awhile however a recent restructure has shifted people around making it more evened out. Travel is optional in some areas, just depends on what position
Culture: Its not what you know; its who
Senior Claims Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 11, 2018
If you know someone who can advance your career or get in favor with a Manager you will advance. People have been there years and are getting paid less than new hires.
Good Place
License representative agent (Former Employee) –  Carmel, INMay 19, 2018
Good place to work for.A feel good environment and fun. You will receive good training from well knowable team members and a supportive management team.
Pros
Good money
Cons
Commission
A productive place to work
Plan Services Consultant Il (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 16, 2018
A high-stress place to work. My issues were with my team lead. A very different environment than what I was a custom to work in and a team lead that was very critical of my work. OneAmerica was not a healthy place for me to work.
Pros
Medical office personnel on staff.
No Integrity
Systems Analyst Consultant Sr (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 10, 2018
I was new to the Financial Services industry when I was hired, but received no functional training at all. Yet I was expected to work with the business to elicit and document project requirements. This was extremely difficult since I didn't know anything about the business, and then was reprimanded because of poor performance.

Management encourages employers to SPEAK UP. It's kind of the company's mantra. But I learned too late that this is used as a target identification strategy. And those who speak up, are taken down quickly.

Senior Management tells a great story about the culture they're trying to develop. And I believe senior management is really trying to bring this about. Unfortunately, they have the wrong people in middle to lower level management positions. Some of these people have no integrity whatsoever, and will do whatever they have to in order to advance their agenda and careers. I really thought this company was different, and didn't play the political or good ol' boy games. But I was wrong.
Pros
Pension plan and 401k contribution.
Cons
No training. Some managers don't know how to manage. Dysfunctional processes. Lack of trust.
OneAmerica is 140 plus years strong and always enhancing the customer and associate experiences.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 1, 2018
An intimate company, who invests in community. The enterprise is currently undergoing enhancements. Immense change is occurring in technology, the associate experience, and work environment.
Pros
Benefits, Community Service, Amenities, Modernization
Great Job
Client Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 10, 2018
• Assisted clients with IRA plans
• Reset client website passwords
• Rollover client funds to new plans
• Assisted with new Department rollout to indianapolis office. Contract position extended.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 6, 2018
OA is a good place to work. Remodeling has made much of OA an open work environment but amazingly still a quiet place to work. My particular job was pretty much the same thing everyday, but each day had it's own challenges and that it what made it enjoyable for me.
Pros
free parking downtown
Data Conversion Administrator (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 5, 2018
The environment of this company is inclusive of a culture that promotes those that are willing to sacrifice others. There are limited opportunities for employees to educate themselves to the extent where promotion is a possibility. It is truly a top heavy organization based on who is looking out for you verses how qualified you are.
Pros
discounts
Cons
clique enviornment
One America
Operations Trainer (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJanuary 10, 2018
Great company to work for. Growing and becoming very competitive in the market. Collaborative atmosphere with motivation to be innovative and creative
Great Opportunities for and advancement if your in their clique
Technical Support Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 14, 2017
One America overall was a good Company to work for. Benefits were great. Working as a DTU Rep was great. The job and training overall was a great opportunity. Hard to advance in other areas especially if you do not have a degree. Plenty of opportunities for advancement as long as you did not step on anyones toes and if you and the manager got along and were buddies. No worries.
Pros
Great Benefits, Opportunities for advancement
Cons
Very Cliquish working environment.
fast paced work environment but rewarding
HR/Payroll Analyst (Current Employee) –  Downtown Indianapolis IndianaNovember 9, 2017
Excellent compensation. Everyone is helpful and promotes teamwork. Business casual dress. Free employee parking. There is a parking garage, but it is costly.
Pros
Several restaurant and coffee shop choice on site
Cons
Parking garage is $30/day
Inexperienced Supervisory Staff - Disbursements
Processor 1 (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 24, 2017
I was hired as an agency temp, although i was not referred by any outside agency. The supervisor that hired me was very friendly, knowledgeable, and supportive. Unfortunately, he was terminated due to "restructuring" during my very first week. I was left with two supervisors who had never worked in the area to which i was assigned (Disbursements). As a result, my training was left to a non-supervisory employee who had no experience in Training. Her motivation was to get me trained so that she could move to a different position. She had no interest in my success and had awful interpersonal skills. She was derogatory and would criticize me when i asked her questions. Since my supervisors had no experience at my job, and were constantly in meetings, my training was inadequate to say the least. Following company guidelines, I would take ownership of the tasks that my trainer dumped on me, but then had to listen to her criticize how I handled the tasks, as if she was my supervisor. It was hugely frustrating. Even more frustrating was that the employees hired months after me were hired as full-time associates and were given formal training by qualified Corporate Trainers. I probably could have filed a lawsuit because, while they categorized me as an agency temp, they treated me as an employee because i was counseled and disciplined and included in "employee only" activities. This was strictly against corporate policy.
It's a great company to work for, but i got hired during a time of departmental chaos and was not given adequate training and supervision. They set me up to fail.
Pros
Nice workplace, mostly very friendly coworkers, decent pay
Cons
Inexperienced Supervisors, inadequate/unqualified trainers, do not set you up for success
Product Marketing (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 12, 2017
Good place to work, but currently in a high growth phase that necessitates long hours and bringing a lot of work home. Fair pay and good benefits but a bit slow moving culturally.
A great place to grow and learn about yourself professionally.
Processor II (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 2, 2017
One America puts its employees in positions to challenge themselves and think outside the box. You learn how to grow and adapt to those around. You also discover ways in which the employees contributes to the company and client.
Great company. Great environment. Great people to work with
New Business Specialist (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 18, 2017
I started at One America as a temp doing basic administrative work. A few months later I was hired on full time as a Final Action Processor. I love my job. It's honestly the only thing that's keeping me here in Indy. I literally get to sit at my desk all day with my ear plugs in and listen to music while I process cases. This job is everything that I've always prayed for. Monday - Friday, 9-5 (hours are flexible), under very little supervision. My days are very relaxing. End of month can get crazy at times but I usually don't complain. I've never felt so appreciated and valued as an employee until I came here to One America. I would recommend this job to anyone (well not anyone) but this is by far the BEST job I've ever had. I am so blessed to work here!
Pros
Mostly everything
Cons
They feed us too much. I can't lose weight working here
Stable company with many opportunities for technological improvements.
Domain Architect - Content and Collaboration (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INAugust 23, 2017
OneAmerica is implementing rapid organizational change in order to better position themselves as a differentiator in the marketplace. This makes work interesting, challenging, and a bit frustrating. The hardest part of the job is navigating the rapid, often unknown barriers to success related to 'green zones' and multiple layers of management. The most enjoyable part of the job is being challenged to identify new opportunities and technical solutions to address current and future business needs.
Pros
Free sodas, on-prem health clinic and gym, and lots of great retirement benefits.
Cons
Rapid and often poorly managed change, too many layers of management who have different success criteria, 'green zone' concept that is poorly implemented/adopted.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at OneAmerica. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.2InHerSight Score

3.0Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

3.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight