OneAmerica Employee Reviews

Hard job to earn money
Licensed agent to OneAmerica's life insurance (Former Employee) –  Reston, VASeptember 9, 2018
My General Agent was not involved in my career success at all and I don't recommend this job to anyone unless they are a self-starter and willing to sell insurance to people who don't need it.
Stressful environment but can be fun
Participant Services representative (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis IndianaAugust 23, 2018
Great company to work for

just needs to do more for their employers I was diagnosed with lupus and I felt like they was not there for me as they preached in paperwork I got sick I got pointed for basically nothing. management is poor and the participant service center so I had to make changes. I resign.
Pros
Meeting new people. building relationships with participants. Learn a lot for 401k
Cons
FMLA was not helpful. Management in some areas are poor
Sad excuse for a company
Corporate Office (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INAugust 20, 2018
Management would rather terminate employees who are harassed vs the harassers due to fear of 'discrimination' lawsuit.

If you work hard, keep your nose to the grindstone, and get your work done you are more likely to lose your job.

If you belong to a 'protected class' , don't work, gossip, and harass others, you are more likely to keep your job and your retirement benefits.
Cons
Unrealistic work load, preferential treatment, high turnover
Good company
FINANCIAL BROKER (Current Employee) –  Boise, IDJuly 27, 2018
Very sound company with sound products. ... And at this point, I'm basically just typing to fill the minimum level of characters needed to get past this required field. There: I did it.
Poor Management - Massive Layoffs
Processor (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 6, 2018
The "upper management" is inept at best. Making massive layoffs at a time when the team I was on was 4 months behind. Most of the people there are great to work with but the management needs to rethink their workflows and systems.

They VP over Regulatory Services should step down due to incompetence. Switched to a system that was supposed to make life easier and shorter turn around time. In reality it made things much harder and extended turn around times by 300%.

The "upper management" including the CEO made massive layoffs with out given any thought as to teams that may be so far behind due to incompetent decisions by "Upper Management"
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Way to much OT
Some employees are treated unfairly and/or are dismissed for no reason.
Former employee (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 6, 2018
Just watch your back. No matter how good you are at your job, no matter how much you study academically in one of their learning programs, or no matter how kind you are to others, it does not matter if you are not in one of their “cliques”. Some employees are worked so hard, with more work being given to them. Other employees sit around and gossip frequently.
Pros
Benefits, compensation, learning opportunities
Cons
Unable to receive time off, depending on what job role you may have.
Good ideals but lacking how to execute
Manager (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 22, 2018
They have a mission but not enough clarity on how to follow it.
The workplace is updated but the management is still old school.
Lots of team spent in meetings about meetings. Very matrixed organization with tons of sign offs and more meetings before a decision can be made.
Lots of micromanaging. Many people don't get how work gets done if you aren't sitting with your back side in a chair at your desk.
Pros
Strong history, care about customers
Cons
Terrible technology, stuck in the micro managing days.
Not a bad place, too many re-orgs
IT Service Delivery Manager - EUC & Service Desk (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 22, 2018
OneAmerica isn't a bad place to work, but management relies heavily on "perception" and input from outside sources to evaluate job performance. Company has had 2 re-orgs in 3 years, which keeps people on edge.
Great company to work for
Quality Control Specialist (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 18, 2018
Overall great company. The CEO gets to know people on a personal basis. Company plans fun events. Great benefits. Flexible hours. Company was top heavy for awhile however a recent restructure has shifted people around making it more evened out. Travel is optional in some areas, just depends on what position
Culture: Its not what you know; its who
Senior Claims Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 11, 2018
If you know someone who can advance your career or get in favor with a Manager you will advance. People have been there years and are getting paid less than new hires.
Good Place
License representative agent (Former Employee) –  Carmel, INMay 19, 2018
Good place to work for.A feel good environment and fun. You will receive good training from well knowable team members and a supportive management team.
Pros
Good money
Cons
Commission
A productive place to work
Plan Services Consultant Il (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 16, 2018
A high-stress place to work. My issues were with my team lead. A very different environment than what I was a custom to work in and a team lead that was very critical of my work. OneAmerica was not a healthy place for me to work.
Pros
Medical office personnel on staff.
No Integrity
Systems Analyst Consultant Sr (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 10, 2018
I was new to the Financial Services industry when I was hired, but received no functional training at all. Yet I was expected to work with the business to elicit and document project requirements. This was extremely difficult since I didn't know anything about the business, and then was reprimanded because of poor performance.

Management encourages employers to SPEAK UP. It's kind of the company's mantra. But I learned too late that this is used as a target identification strategy. And those who speak up, are taken down quickly.

Senior Management tells a great story about the culture they're trying to develop. And I believe senior management is really trying to bring this about. Unfortunately, they have the wrong people in middle to lower level management positions. Some of these people have no integrity whatsoever, and will do whatever they have to in order to advance their agenda and careers. I really thought this company was different, and didn't play the political or good ol' boy games. But I was wrong.
Pros
Pension plan and 401k contribution.
Cons
No training. Some managers don't know how to manage. Dysfunctional processes. Lack of trust.
OneAmerica is 140 plus years strong and always enhancing the customer and associate experiences.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 1, 2018
An intimate company, who invests in community. The enterprise is currently undergoing enhancements. Immense change is occurring in technology, the associate experience, and work environment.
Pros
Benefits, Community Service, Amenities, Modernization
Great Job
Client Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 10, 2018
• Assisted clients with IRA plans
• Reset client website passwords
• Rollover client funds to new plans
• Assisted with new Department rollout to indianapolis office. Contract position extended.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 6, 2018
OA is a good place to work. Remodeling has made much of OA an open work environment but amazingly still a quiet place to work. My particular job was pretty much the same thing everyday, but each day had it's own challenges and that it what made it enjoyable for me.
Pros
free parking downtown
Data Conversion Administrator (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 5, 2018
The environment of this company is inclusive of a culture that promotes those that are willing to sacrifice others. There are limited opportunities for employees to educate themselves to the extent where promotion is a possibility. It is truly a top heavy organization based on who is looking out for you verses how qualified you are.
Pros
discounts
Cons
clique enviornment
One America
Operations Trainer (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJanuary 10, 2018
Great company to work for. Growing and becoming very competitive in the market. Collaborative atmosphere with motivation to be innovative and creative
Great Opportunities for and advancement if your in their clique
Technical Support Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 14, 2017
One America overall was a good Company to work for. Benefits were great. Working as a DTU Rep was great. The job and training overall was a great opportunity. Hard to advance in other areas especially if you do not have a degree. Plenty of opportunities for advancement as long as you did not step on anyones toes and if you and the manager got along and were buddies. No worries.
Pros
Great Benefits, Opportunities for advancement
Cons
Very Cliquish working environment.
fast paced work environment but rewarding
HR/Payroll Analyst (Current Employee) –  Downtown Indianapolis IndianaNovember 9, 2017
Excellent compensation. Everyone is helpful and promotes teamwork. Business casual dress. Free employee parking. There is a parking garage, but it is costly.
Pros
Several restaurant and coffee shop choice on site
Cons
Parking garage is $30/day

Ask a question about working or interviewing at OneAmerica. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

3.2InHerSight Score

3.0Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

3.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight