OneBeacon Insurance Group Employee Reviews

Overall - Not a bad company
AVP & Assistant Treasurer (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, MNMay 22, 2018
Overall - Not a bad company but work life balance can be a little challenging and the health benefits are not that great. Good place to work if you like autonomy.
Great place to work.
Insurance Underwriting Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Salem, VASeptember 30, 2018
Great place to work. Wonderful people and management. Very fast paced work environment. Underwriting insurance business is very critical to the success of any insurance business.
One of the Best Specialty Insurance Companies to work for!
Marketing (Current Employee) –  SoutheastDecember 14, 2012
Coming to OneBeacon from my last employer was like a breath of fresh air!

Employees are valued and opportunities abound in Specialty units. (commercial middle market & personal lines were sold off to become a true Specialty Insurance Company - so those ex-employees will most likely have a different opinion).

Flat corporate structure in my business unit with little to no micromanagement. Everyone is valued for what they bring to the organization - and all employees are expected to "think like an owner".

Great work/life balance and good pay and benefits. It's fun to come to work again after suffering under the draconian environment at another insurance company.
Pros
great team members, employees valued by management, feels like a small business environment
Cons
some fallout from the changing business model to a specialty insurance compamy
Excellent management and team environment that kept employees busy.
Programmer/Analyst (Former Employee) –  Foxborough, MAJune 21, 2012
The work was more challenging and the programming involved taughter me a great deal of matters having to do with the entire life cycle of an IT program from inception up until its migration into prouction. Learned how to manage small teams and oversaw development of over 90% of the project.
Pros
a wonderful cafetaria, great benefits, a lot of room for advancement.
Cons
contractors were constantly streaming in an out, management hopped around with employees and different groups.
Company part of a larger group.
Senior Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Farmington, CTApril 26, 2017
Company is part of a large financial group with considerable diversity. Work-life balance is not a priority with the company, and standards for salary and advancement are not adhered to.
Pros
Diverse parent company with a large book of business
Cons
Atmosphere of unsureness.
Flexible Management
Private (Former Employee) –  PrivateSeptember 27, 2016
Very flexible work environment. Generous salary and management that truly understood what a work/life balance was. Nice location and pleasant co-workers for the most part.
Cons
Need more advancement opportunities
great
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Farmington, CTMarch 26, 2018
Great company to work. very fair Managers, They hire within the company which is a great aspect when you are looking to advance. Would recommend......
horrible
claims (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYFebruary 7, 2018
Very unstable environment. Offices closed and with no real explanation on companies business plans. Some very good people worked for the company but were not given any decision making ability
Great People and Working Environment
Examiner (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 28, 2016
I worked for OneBeacon 6+ years and was generously rewarded for my hard work. I worked with a great group of people. You're considered an adult and as long as you try hard and do the work expected of you, you are not micro-managed. The company has very flexible working hours, as long as you don't abuse the privilege.
Pros
Generous pay, no micro-managing, flexible hours
Cons
Sometimes the work load was a little overwhelming but I considered it job security
Great Job
Vice President (Current Employee) –  Farmington, CTAugust 14, 2017
Excellent people, great relationships, great work life balance. Dynamic and great opportunities to develop and grow. Work from options and telecommuting available as well.
Audit and Environmental
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 16, 2017
This company has changed dramatically since I worked there. They have relocated their offices, sold all or part of the business (I'm not sure), changed management etc.
Pros
Fun working in Boston
Cons
constant change
it was a great place to work
Staff Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 22, 2016
It was a great company but it is now closed down. if training was required they sent you to class.The nice thing about Management was if you were good at your job,promotions were easy to access.
Had so much potential
Consultant (Former Employee) –  CantonDecember 4, 2012
I was a consultant there, 2003-2008. - Poorly managed. Product line shrunk as chunks of the business were sold off in order to stay alive. (Line is personal lines such as homeowners, etc.) Typical insurance company where too many people stayed too long and were too comfortable. Many of the good people left, because they could (common story). Don't get me wrong, there were people who remained who worked hard but all too often no new ideas were presented by them or by management. In today's world if you stagnate you die - and so this is the story of One Beacon.
Insurance has for years been insulated. Downward pressure by out of control product prices mixed with some deregulation is now rocking this once insulated industry. Newcomers as well as established companies exploiting new technologies, processes and methodologies are setting a pace which companies such as One Beacon are incapable of matching. One Beacon's failure is wholey due to poor management - period!
I tried to changed things while I was there but it was like trying to teach a caveman about aerospace; management is conceptually incapable of understanding today's ways.
Pros
i really liked many of the people with whom i worked
Cons
stuck in the past and cannot get up
Exceptional peers / good company
Statistical Specialist (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 17, 2017
I worked with a great group of people albeit only briefly. I only left for economical reasons. They were downsizing and it was clear based on the monthly layoffs that it was a question of finding another job on my own, or wait to be let go (everyone else had been there 25+ years and I was the most recently hired). I otherwise would have been happy to stay. The pay was fair, the environment was pleasant. No complaints.
Pros
Interesting work
Cons
They were downsizing
Stay away they are liars
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Canton maMarch 30, 2016
I was due to have a phone interview with this company and they had the audacity to cancel at the last minute. I contacted them because they wanted to reschedule and they never got back to me. When they finally did they gave the lame excuse that the posirion had been filled. I asked for a supervisors name they refused to give it. Obviously a poor company to work for if they can't follow through with the recruitment process
Pros
Cons
Everything is bad about this company
Poor Management
Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Farmington, CTSeptember 11, 2016
Management consists of individuals that other companies either wanted to get rid of or already did. They do not support their employees & are only concerned about controlling expenses. Favoritism is out of control and the work environment is horrible.
Pros
Fellow workers are very nice people
Cons
Management is the worst
-Onebeacon Insurance Automation Tester Salem-Virginia
Automation Tester (Former Employee) –  Salem, VAOctober 2, 2013
-ONEBEACON INSURANCE company provides the insurance to more commercial and special kind of insurance in America. They also have experty in real estate ,terrorism types of Insurance. They provide the details in their insurance coverage . Onebeacon gives easy to access to professional and business class whenever they want connect the internet to check their coverage and premium. Their application are more based on the ,@SUIT,.UMS, @ EAS and POLARIS.
Downsized, not sure they are still in existance
Sr Programmer/Analyst (Former Employee) –  Foxborough, MAMarch 31, 2017
They continuously downsized while I was there, creating a horrible culture. The location was isolated in an industrial park, nothing in walking distance.
Management can't get out of their own way
Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Farmington, CTMay 10, 2013
Horrible management that has the, "Do what I say, not what I do attitude." They also spent millions on a computer systems that is absolutely horrible.
Pros
People I worked with were wonderful. All of them put 100 percent in.
Cons
Management has a superior complex
Stiff insurance company
Associate Recruiter (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Canton, MAFebruary 14, 2016
Small office environment, no real culture between the departments and the team. Not much excitement working for this organization aside from hiring insurance people.
Pros
Lunch breaks and the view of the office
Cons
Culture of the company is dry

Ask a question about working or interviewing at OneBeacon Insurance Group. Our community is ready to answer.