Onondaga Community College Employee Reviews

Great Place to work
Lead Veteran Affairs Work Study (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYMarch 16, 2018
My supervisor was a horrible human being, but she no longer works there. I have heard it has gotten much better to work in the veterans office ever since she was let go!
Very productive and easy going
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYJanuary 21, 2018
It was an amazing place to work for very low stress. Easy to follow schedule and respect all around from management, coworkers, and students. I would highly recommend to anyone.
fun
Computer Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYJanuary 10, 2018
i was on work study program, my job is to help the it department by making sure the devices working fine and the students feel comfortable to use the computers.
Poor IT managament
Network Systems Administrator (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYDecember 13, 2017
There is a different playbook for each person. You can not bring issues to current management if you do you are labeled and treated unfairly. Management has their favorites and if you are not one you will know quickly. There seems to be a very high turn over rate in the departments.
Pros
N/a
Technical Specialist (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYNovember 8, 2017
OCC is a good place to work. I have learned so much from working with the students here. It gives you a good feeling to know that you enrich lives and see students come into their own.
Loved being in charge of the planning and setup the experimental appa
Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYOctober 27, 2017
Coordinating the weeks experiments with the professors. Setting the experimental apparatus. The freedom to develop new experiments. Being around the students.
Pros
Using my organizational skills
Cons
Low pay for my abilities
Love it here
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYOctober 5, 2017
Honestly love the college atmosphere! Never thought I would enjoy working with this age group as much as I do, but I do! Feel fortunate to work here.
Nice environment but bad pay
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYSeptember 1, 2017
Very nice campus with wonderful coworkers. Lots of resources. Management was slow- everything had to go through five Departments before seeing the return effect. It was really awesome working with the students. The pay was terrible (very below average for the field- made more working at target) and the insurance was actually unaffordable - as in it cost over half my paycheck and I was full time. Hours were ok- the daily 9 to 5 gig.
Pros
Calm and consistent environment
Cons
Pay and unaffordable insurance
Educational
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYAugust 15, 2017
My experience has been Very Educational, insightful, and involved. The people around me are amazing and helpful. Time flys by when your surrounded by motivating and inspiring people.
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 20, 2017
Good place to work. Friendly people, good benefits. A great place for students’ fresh out of highschool to attend if they are unsure what to major in. Faculty are great and knowledgeable.
Acceptable for new students
Student Advisor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 19, 2017
pays decent for young and new students. Hours are flexible to assistant advisors so classes and any other activities within reason can be accommodated.
It was very fun and helpful for future.
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYJune 15, 2017
It was a job not only working at the lab, also it required some customer service as a part of the work when I helped out at the retail shop. I've learned I should know more about my major and answer every question about our department. Although sometimes I didn't even have time to break, seeing the result of my hard work made me very happy. I think this is the point of the work!!
Job Coach (Current Employee) –  600 South State StreetMay 3, 2017
I have worked for OCC for over 10+ years. I started from the bottom and worked myself up to the top, or pretty close. My employer allows growth within.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
More raises
Residence Life Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYApril 21, 2017
An average day at work was me entering data into the computer. Filing new students files that enter the college, and fixing old files. Also assisting who came in the office.
Learned a lot.
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYApril 12, 2017
This was a paid student job as a security guard at Onondaga community college. Worked with officers directly, so it provided a big insight into the law enforcement world.
Good place for an adjunct
Adjunct Biology Professor (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYFebruary 19, 2017
Life as a adjunct is hard but the Bio Departmetn at OCC is great. You will ahve the typical adjunt problems of classes being canceled and low pay but they do offer the possibility of benifits to adjuncts and the full time faculty are very helpful.
Nice Experience
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYJanuary 9, 2017
I performed this duty while attending school and it was an amazing experience. I was able to gain leadership, problem solving and communication skills from performing this job. It was very rewarding.
American Sign Language tutor
American Sign Language Tutor (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYOctober 27, 2016
Tutoring students of American Sign Language . Engaging in conversations with students to improve Sign skills and receptive skills. Reviewing vocabulary and helping with homework if necessary.
Pros
Using American Sign Language
Cons
No break
it was a good experience
Business Admin (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYAugust 11, 2016
good experience, good teachers and great staff. i would recommend going there for school. I learned a lot from there and got the knowledge i needed to get good grades and went far.
Excellent.
Assistant Project Director (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYAugust 3, 2016
They are excellent with there employees and they are pretty much flexible with the work. The good thing about working there is that you can study and work together as permeant employee.