Ontario ARC Employee Reviews

If you like unsafe working environments with people who have developmental disabilities then this is the place for you!
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Canandaigua, NYSeptember 13, 2019
Don’t waste your time unless you feel like getting beat up by individuals for less than 12$ an hour. just to get told you don’t do your job and get fired for telling your opinion when asked for it.
Excellent organization
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Canandaigua, NYSeptember 6, 2019
Staff are fun to work with, clients really make the job meaningful. Overall a great experience!! Flexible hours, the ability to teach and watch staff and residents grow is amazing
It's a joke
DSP (Former Employee) –  Canandaigua, NYJuly 25, 2019
Was a long term dedicated employee for 10+yrs.Management is the worst I have ever seen. You get all the benefits like dental,health etc but you have to pay the first 2,700 out of pocket and the pay is TERRIBLE. Over my 10yrs I haven't received $5.50 in raises. Managers talk down to their staff. The individuals that are there was the only thing that I stayed for. It is not a person centered company, it's a management center company. You can go to fast food and make more money and have less stress.
Terrible management awesome individuals
Habilitation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Canandaigua, NYJune 21, 2019
If you want to be brought down on a daily basis than the management here will be able to do that for you! The individuals supported are amazing and are the only reason I stayed so long. You become best friends and create a family with your coworkers as well.
They seem like a nice place to work for
Intern (Former Employee) –  Canandaigua, NYJune 12, 2019
interacted with the participants and worked on projects for my supervisor. Everyone seemed nice to be around. The participants seem to enjoy having be there and around to chat with or play games or do crafts with.
Loved my individuals that I supported.
work and skills life instructor (Former Employee) –  Canandaigua, NYMay 30, 2019
Never a dull moment at the Ontario ARC, everyday was different 😀 Management sucked, they are all about the $ and not the individuals. We were expected to make crafts with our people so we could sell them, they wanted us to go hand over hand and if it wasn’t “good enough” staff would have to redo it... ridiculous!
Pros
Hour lunch
Cons
Management was extremely poor!!!!
Incompetent managers
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  AnanymousMay 19, 2019
I worked at arc for a number of years. The clients are the positive part of the job, but the majority of managers are generally incompetent and unwilling to go the extra effort regarding the people we supposedly serve. In addition, certain managers rely on dishonesty to cover for their ineptitude or disorganisation which negatively affects the clients and those who directly care for them, creating a stressful workplace. Promotions are based on popularity wth decision-makers, not performance or knowledge, effort and ability. Speaking up is frowned upon and punished instead of being recognized. Pointing out errors or systematic shortcomings is regarded as defiance. Constructive criticism is viewed by management as a negative. Fraud is rampant. Direct support employees are expected to go way above and beyond while management clocks out for the day and are left to navigate the myriad of goals and conflicting responsibilities with little support, yet often get blamed if the impossible outcome is not met. Serving this population is a wonderful, rewarding experience best experienced as a volunteer.
Pros
Serving the clients
Cons
Management, legal liabilities, clickiness, hypocrisy
very productive
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Canandaigua, NYApril 15, 2019
I love this company. My current managers are great and are very understanding with availability and personal issues that may arise. For my position I make my own schedule and pick when I work so I don't get paid time off but, I don't have to request for days off, I just don't sign up for a shift those days. I also float between multiple houses based on shift availability. I love the residents and the majority of my co-workers. Every residential house is different in regards to the staff and the managers and the residents but, overall this is a great company to work for.
Very poor management
Work and Life Skills Habilitation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Canandaigua, NYApril 4, 2019
A wonderful place to work the management needs to be more person centered and work more as a team. Listen to the employees they are the ones who work with the individuals on a daily basis.
Pros
Individuals
Productive and memorable
Job Coach (Former Employee) –  Canandaigua, NYJanuary 30, 2019
I liked working for Ontario ARC. I just needed to find a job closer to home and one that was full time. I will always remember the memories I made with my clients and the joy on their faces as they accomplished goals that put them one step closer to being independent young adults.
Pros
good hours
Cons
low pay, part time position
No consideration
Skills Instructor (Former Employee) –  Canandaigua, NY 14424December 16, 2018
They did not take family emergencies into consideration. My mom had a stroke and the manager deb told me my job should be more important than anything else.
Pros
Love the bond created between the folks
Cons
Not a good pay rate
Unfortunate
Skills Instructor (Former Employee) –  Canandaigua, NYNovember 6, 2018
I loved working with people, the time off, and some agency perks. But it was not enough to compensate for the low wage, no raises, drama, unprofessional environment, bad management, and lack of care that was abundant.
work day
skills instructor (Former Employee) –  geneva nyNovember 2, 2018
assisting residence in the morning
using lifts
passing medicine
administrating showers
serving meals
driving them to appointments
doing crafts
dealing with behaviors
supervising residents
Perhaps a good first job
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Current Employee) –  Canandaigua, NYOctober 18, 2018
This may be a good first job. I would not go into it with an advanced degree. The agency is understaffed and training is erratic. This leads to increased stress on the staff providing direct care.
Ontario ARC
Program Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Canandaigua, NYSeptember 20, 2018
Ontario ARC is a great place to work! Working with the individuals supported was always the best part of my day. There is room for advancement but with advancement comes more responsibility and it is not worth the lack of pay that you receive. Ontario ARC is innovative, fun and rewarding. If you are looking for a job to help people, this is it! If you are looking for a job to make money, this is not it. Life is all about balance. The hardest part of the job was the regulations that NY state has put into place. The workplace culture is of teamwork and unity- we are all there for one reason: to assist the individuals we support and help them live their lives to the fullest.
Pros
teamwork, benefit time, sick time, the people supported
Cons
low pay, ok benefits, top heavy management
It's a good place to work
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Geneva, NYJuly 10, 2018
The OARC is great if you want a second job or go to work. I'm a program sub now and it allows to work and focus on my school enough without falling behind on my bills. They do always need help and offer overtime.
Pros
Nice people, great residents
Cons
Over-worked, underpaid
Enclive (Former Employee) –  Canandaigua, NYJune 27, 2018
It's a good place to work especially if you have an disability it's hands on and they work with you help you find work you get experience that you need to work out in the real world
plenty of work to keep busy
Landscaper Assistant (Former Employee) –  Canandaigua, NYJune 18, 2018
Co-workers were fun to work with at different jobs every day, Kept busy fast pace work. Good benefits including 401 K. Employees were good to work with.
Medicaid Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Canandaigua, NYJune 17, 2018
ARC was a good place to work and obtain the skills I needed while working on my Masters in Social Work. The management was a bit chaotic so you basically had to tackle challenges and concerns really on your own.
A nice work environment
Medicaid Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Canandaigua, NYMay 30, 2018
It was a nice work environment. However, the salary was very minimal in comparison to the work load expected. The amount of documentation needed for any medical or mental health appointments was truly inconceivable.
Pros
Nice work environment
Cons
Pay, benefits, referral process

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ontario ARC. Our community is ready to answer.

Ontario ARC Reviews by Location